Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You're drat right you do

You don't have another three Reflectors manning the main camera reflector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have the toy version set preordered.

It was also bonus day at work so I'll probably order MMC Vortex and Planet X Star Saber because YOLO.

Edit: MMC Frumble set hits TCP tomorrow so it's them and Vortex.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 13, 2019

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So when the Unicron fake kickstarter fails who want's to bet they sell it through online retailers as some sort of exclusive anyway. Still can't believe they had the stones to think this had any chance of sucess. In the future perhaps they coulld release products in exchange for money, instead of asking the consumer to front it like some indie company.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fsmhunk posted:

So when the Unicron fake kickstarter fails who want's to bet they sell it through online retailers as some sort of exclusive anyway. Still can't believe they had the stones to think this had any chance of sucess. In the future perhaps they coulld release products in exchange for money, instead of asking the consumer to front it like some indie company.

They did it this way because the Sail Barge was successfully funded.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fsmhunk posted:

Rumor has it they're counting preorders outside of Hasbro Pulse as well, they just aren't tracking them publicly yet

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

They did it this way because the Sail Barge was successfully funded.

Part of me hopes this doesn't suceed because I hate the precedent it sets. I think they'll make the Unicron regardless, no way they put that much work into it just to scrap it.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Fsmhunk posted:

Part of me hopes this doesn't suceed because I hate the precedent it sets. I think they'll make the Unicron regardless, no way they put that much work into it just to scrap it.

Precedent of what? Preordering something? It's a completely acceptable way of funding a specialty item. Unicron was just too much for most people. They should have implemented a payment plan or given it 3 months or something. Assuming there isn't a big FOMO rush closer to the deadline, of course, which also happened for the Sail Barge.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'll say this, while six hundo really floored me at first, I was looking through a catalog the other day and saw the Millennium Falcon at $800 and now it's a little more in scale. Some people got money to burn.

I think that's the Lego set that I saw James Buckley talk about as his big purchase when the money from The Inbetweeners started coming in before realizing he was in severe financial jeopardy and had to try returning it.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Keldroc posted:

Precedent of what? Preordering something? It's a completely acceptable way of funding a specialty item. Unicron was just too much for most people. They should have implemented a payment plan or given it 3 months or something. Assuming there isn't a big FOMO rush closer to the deadline, of course, which also happened for the Sail Barge.

I know that certain third-party sets have extremely high price-points, it would just be unfortunate if that same precedent was normalized through first-party manufacturers as well. It's lame enough that the WFC stuff saw the whole line get a ten-dollar price increase in Canada.

I get that at the end of the day these are toys in large part sold to adult children desperate for that sweet release of nostalgia, and that literally nothing is lost without buying any of it, mind.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 14, 2019

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
18 more days of avoiding being drunk with a credit card, and I'm homefree

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'll say this, while six hundo really floored me at first, I was looking through a catalog the other day and saw the Millennium Falcon at $800 and now it's a little more in scale. Some people got money to burn.

I think that's the Lego set that I saw James Buckley talk about as his big purchase when the money from The Inbetweeners started coming in before realizing he was in severe financial jeopardy and had to try returning it.
Is there a story here beyond "didn't realise he owed tax"?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

It's lame enough that the WFC stuff saw the whole line get a ten-dollar price increase in Canada.
For whatever reason it dropped by about five euro per Deluxe here, but the smaller stuff still hasn't shown up. Titans Return was in this weird zone where you could get a Deluxe for €25-27, depending on store, and the Voyagers would be €28-35, meaning sometimes you found a place with just one or two euro in the difference for "reasons".

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I know that certain third-party sets have extremely high price-points, it would just be unfortunate if that same precedent was normalized through first-party manufacturers as well. It's lame enough that the WFC stuff saw the whole line get a ten-dollar price increase in Canada.

Inflation is a thing and prices go up. Especially prices on things using increasingly scarce and expensive petroleum products. Deluxes are now at the price point Voyagers used to be, and that sucks, but it's inevitable. I don't see what that has to do with the high price of a low-production high end limited edition collector's item. You think the next line would just be all $500 citybots or something? The Sail Barge didn't change how mass retail Star Wars figures are made or priced, Unicron wouldn't have changed anything about the rest of Hasbro's TF output. I find that line of reasoning, if you even want to call it that, bizarre.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's just irritating that the window was so short and for a $600 item they didn't offer a payment plan.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

Rhyno posted:

It's just irritating that the window was so short and for a $600 item they didn't offer a payment plan.

The idea of Hasbro coming to repo your Unicron makes me laugh way more than it should.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I feel like an extension with payment plan might be in the cards come August 30th. They've done a hell of a lot of R&D and prototyping work to just throw up their hands and say "Oh well, guess that's not happening."

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Keldroc posted:

Inflation is a thing and prices go up. Especially prices on things using increasingly scarce and expensive petroleum products. Deluxes are now at the price point Voyagers used to be, and that sucks, but it's inevitable. I don't see what that has to do with the high price of a low-production high end limited edition collector's item. You think the next line would just be all $500 citybots or something? The Sail Barge didn't change how mass retail Star Wars figures are made or priced, Unicron wouldn't have changed anything about the rest of Hasbro's TF output. I find that line of reasoning, if you even want to call it that, bizarre.

:dudsmile:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rikimaru posted:

The idea of Hasbro coming to repo your Unicron makes me laugh way more than it should.

It's not shipping for over a year after it closes. They could easily have made a $50/month payment plan and I bet it would have made it's minimum sales and everyone would be paid off by the time it ships. There's literally companies that do nothing more than have payment plans for web sales. Hasbro wouldn't even have to put much effort beyond having an Affirm button in the checkout (which I assume requires some level of payment to Affirm, but still).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How are the Fansproject Dinobots? A lot of them are super cheap today. I was thinking of getting Echera and Comera because they're like $40 each.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

How are the Fansproject Dinobots? A lot of them are super cheap today. I was thinking of getting Echera and Comera because they're like $40 each.

If you're ok with being the person who bought the tittiesauruses, sure why not?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phy posted:

If you're ok with being the person who bought the tittiesauruses, sure why not?

Well that seems needlessly mean what could they be

Oh

Well that's atrocious

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

Oh

Well that's atrocious

Indeed. I have been properly shamed.

And it's probably for the best as I was then tempted to get the other FP Dinos, but fortunately I was held back because Pinchar is out of stock.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TFNation this weekend in the UK! Anyone else going to be there?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Probably not many of us Americans!

So I've been playing with my new arrivals. The Final Victory trio are not the best options but for the $64 I paid for three MPish bots I can't complain. They'll totally work as placeholders for low priority characters.

Paid for MMC Frumble earlier, FT Cyclonus is due on Friday so I should have those by next Tuesday. This is getting a little out of hand. I think I'm gonna have to quit buying OSKOs of stuff I already own or else this room is going to be overflowing with Chinesium.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Dawgstar posted:

If you do end up being interested just pick one. They are nearly the same figure with a few differing parts. I did get them out of compulsion to complete the set but they're pretty redundant and in dino mode they can't really stand up on their own. Easily the weakest figures of the set even disregarding the uh design choice.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Dawgstar posted:

I didn't get the ladybots, but I did get the other five. I don't really remember what they're all called, so forgive me if I don't even try to.

Sludge is pretty dang good, though his dino rear legs don't fold inside his robo legs like Slag's or Snarl's. He's the second best of them IMO. His bladed mace is the worst of the weapon masters though, due to it's lopsidedness in weapon mode and super awkward hilt in robot mode.

Slag is great. I think he's the best of all of them. He can't really swivel his waist a huge amount without unpegging this tail from his shoulder wings, but he's actually the only one I still have out on display. His battleax is actually pretty nice, both modes are decent.

Swoop is kind of uninspired and liable to fall over. Can't move his head too much because the back of his head will knock into his rocket pack, and if you use the rocket pack as guns or whatever, his back becomes hollow in a boxy way. The ratchets on my joints have too much wiggle between lock positions, but that could just be mine. His gun/crossbow/sword thing is okay.

Grimlock is okay, but his rotating shoulder things in robot mode don't lock like Slag's, so when you move his arms around they are likely to slide forward, making them [i]way to far forward, proportionately. This may also be due to his shoulder wing things, which interfere with normal arm movement. Looks good enough with a decent pose. Has the best weapon, but I have the deluxe version with the extra weaponmaster which makes a huge hammer instead of a mace when combined with the mace. That throne with all the swords is a nice seat for Despotron.

Snarl is pretty good, but has a weird barrel chest and his shins slope in a more noticeable way than any of the others, which makes posing him in a pleasing way hard. His sword weapon is pretty sweet though.

Hope this helps somewhat.

TL;DR: Only Slag and maybe Sludge are worth getting unless you want them all.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
"I'm only going to do up through the movie" he said a few months ago

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

Oh

Well that's atrocious

Considering how big the sexy anime figurine industry is, it's a little surprising how boobs-averse this thread is.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
We've been buying slightly better versions of the same toys over and over again since the mid 80's. We need to look down on someone around here.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Considering how big the sexy anime figurine industry is, it's a little surprising how boobs-averse this thread is.

Look dude we like robits what turn into cars and jets here, not gross pervy stuff okay?

Also we're all pushing 40 and otaku pervazoid shenanigans is a young man's game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's all about context, boobs on transformers are weird. They're robots.

I do also look down at people who buy sexy anime figurines, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
tits on a toaster

dicks on a Dyson

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Captain Invictus posted:

dicks on a Dyson

That's not what they mean by dick sucking. But maybe it could in the near future.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

dicks on a Dyson
Like truck balls but when you turn the vacuum on it does the most frantic synthetic meatspin you'll ever see

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Keldroc posted:

I feel like an extension with payment plan might be in the cards come August 30th. They've done a hell of a lot of R&D and prototyping work to just throw up their hands and say "Oh well, guess that's not happening."

Wouldn't be the first time it's happened, it'd be poetic if it's yet another shelved Unicron figure.

Daaku Shinsei
Feb 26, 2003

I just bought the reissues of Ravage and Rumble, and I had not noticed til these 2 that the rub signs are all red on all 4 cassettes. I swear the original rub signs were red and purple for the factions? I"m going nuts, aren't I

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

DisposableHero posted:

That's not what they mean by dick sucking. But maybe it could in the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2EMGmv0FqM

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

sigher posted:

Wouldn't be the first time it's happened, it'd be poetic if it's yet another shelved Unicron figure.

This figure has had a lot more put into it than any previous aborted Unicron attempt. Making two functional hand-painted prototypes to display at SDCC is not nothin'. I can't imagine they'd sink this much time, money, and promotion into this and not have some kind of Plan B. The notion that people wouldn't be willing or able to cough up $600+ inside of 60 days had to enter their minds at some point.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Daaku Shinsei posted:

I just bought the reissues of Ravage and Rumble, and I had not noticed til these 2 that the rub signs are all red on all 4 cassettes. I swear the original rub signs were red and purple for the factions? I"m going nuts, aren't I
There's not a lot of color control in that color-change mood ring stuff, they kind of cycle through all the colors depending on how warm you get them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Keldroc posted:

This figure has had a lot more put into it than any previous aborted Unicron attempt. Making two functional hand-painted prototypes to display at SDCC is not nothin'. I can't imagine they'd sink this much time, money, and promotion into this and not have some kind of Plan B. The notion that people wouldn't be willing or able to cough up $600+ inside of 60 days had to enter their minds at some point.

Yeah I figure if nothing else they might try again to get it funded in a year or two if this attempt fails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
This showed up today:

Really digging the colors on Skywarp. Also :swoon: for more blast effects!