Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Funzo posted:

I'm going to ask a dumb noob question, because it's frustrating me. I'm thinning down paint for layers, and once I have the transparency I think I'm supposed to get, it's just a watery mess when I try to paint with it. Like, droplets of colored water on the mini, even if I try and wipe most of it off the brush. I have to missing something obvious here, aren't I?

I do it by look and feel, when it's on my wet palette it will just start to 'pull together' or have surface tension holding blobs instead of a paste. It will just start to lose some of the resistance to the brush as well. I have no idea how to get consistency on a dry palette I am afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Funzo posted:

I'm going to ask a dumb noob question, because it's frustrating me. I'm thinning down paint for layers, and once I have the transparency I think I'm supposed to get, it's just a watery mess when I try to paint with it. Like, droplets of colored water on the mini, even if I try and wipe most of it off the brush. I have to missing something obvious here, aren't I?

Your goal is basically the consistency of milk. You're likely thinning it down to the point where the pigment is breaking down. If that happens add more paint to thicken things up. You could also thin with an acrylic medium (I use Vallejo Flow Improver) that won't break down the pigment.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Skails posted:

The NMM looks great. Who's the dude?

ty. its a FW princeps majoris

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Funzo posted:

Thinning paint is one of those things that, at least for me, you've just gotta do for a good while until you get a feel for it. Not all paints, even in the same range, are the same thickness either which complicates things. If you do get it very thin, be sure to wipe away most of the paint on a paper towel or something before putting it on the mini, otherwise you won't be able to control where it goes at all.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

The Moon Monster posted:

Thinning paint is one of those things that, at least for me, you've just gotta do for a good while until you get a feel for it. Not all paints, even in the same range, are the same thickness either which complicates things. If you do get it very thin, be sure to wipe away most of the paint on a paper towel or something before putting it on the mini, otherwise you won't be able to control where it goes at all.

I think that was my main problem. Too thin, and then too much on the brush.
Thanks for the pointers all, hopefully next time things will go better. It just comes down to more practice and paying more attention to individual paints.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Funzo posted:

I think that was my main problem. Too thin, and then too much on the brush.
Thanks for the pointers all, hopefully next time things will go better. It just comes down to more practice and paying more attention to individual paints.

That's all this is. Practice and focus.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Speaking of paint, anybody have broad opinions about the Vallejo game color line? A buddy of mine is selling the 75 bottle starter set for cheap (about a buck a bottle) and I'm thinking about taking him up on the offer, but I seem to remember people having issues with certain colors.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mikey Purp posted:

Speaking of paint, anybody have broad opinions about the Vallejo game color line? A buddy of mine is selling the 75 bottle starter set for cheap (about a buck a bottle) and I'm thinking about taking him up on the offer, but I seem to remember people having issues with certain colors.

Definitely buy them for a dollar a bottle, drat. Even if you don't want them, buy them for a dollar a bottle and then sell them to me for a dollar a bottle + shipping.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Even if they've had the starter set a while and some of them are dead a dollar a bottle is great.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mikey Purp posted:

VGC is awesome.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Any tips on painting a diamond effect? Not diamond patterns, but making something (in this case an Adeptus Titanicus Warhound) give the impression it is made of diamond?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Mikey Purp posted:

Strong saturated colors, good consistency. Sometimes certain colors will seperate and need shaking.

A buck per bottle is nuts

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

head58 posted:

Any tips on painting a diamond effect? Not diamond patterns, but making something (in this case an Adeptus Titanicus Warhound) give the impression it is made of diamond?

You'd be painting gemstone facets, in primarily white to grey with some blue glazing....over an entire warhound? I think I'd rather burn my house down than attempt it though.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Will Dick Blick ship to you? Windsor and Newton Series 7s are great. GW brushes are fine if you have no alternative.

Normally, they won't ship W&N brushes outside the US, but I use a shipping service based in Florida, so...probably.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
There are tons of art stores in europe that would ship WN brushes to Saudi Arabia.

The whole "sable brushes can't be shipped outside of the country the store resides in" is pretty much BS. The only stores that don't do this are ones that can't be assed to comply with CITES certification.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

head58 posted:

This is going to be insanely hard. You're basically doing a photorealistic painting of glinting diamonds on a plastic model?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
wholesalerhinestones.com

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you superglue wholesale rhinestones all over a Warhound I will buy you a forums upgrade of your choice

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

JBP posted:

If you superglue wholesale rhinestones all over a Warhound I will buy you a forums upgrade of your choice

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

head58 posted:

You'd want to divide the whole thing into facets, which would each have a smooth gradient surrounded by a sharp edge highlight. Check out the scythe on this model :nws:

https://aradiaminiatures.com/index.php?id_product=62&controller=product

Seems like a nightmare to do on a model that isn't naturally faceted, though.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Thanks folks, I feared it was going to be nightmarish but wondered if I was missing something simple. Although to clarify, this is an AT Warhound so 1/4 the size of the regular one. And I was thinking one big solid diamond rather than tons of little facets, more like the comic book Emma Frost than the movie version if that makes any sense.

But this

JBP posted:

is seriously tempting and would either be glorious or a surefire ticket to the Unspiration thread.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

head58 posted:

would either be glorious or a surefire ticket to the Unspiration thread.

Oh, it can be both, my friend.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Slimnoid posted:

Gloriously uninspiring.

Dunkelbrau
Aug 9, 2003
Long time reader, first time poster. Got into mini painting 20 years after a brief stint in middle school, largely thanks to this thread. Picked up brushes again in December, and I was finally brave enough to tackle these Gellerpox Mutants.

Also, a question: anyone have a favorite ready-to-airbrush alternative for the new Wraithbone and Grey Seer? I've been getting by with mixing them with flow improver but I'd like something more consistent.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I mixed some Badger Stynylrez neutral yellow primer with their white to get a warm bone color. Grey should be fine as is. You can zenithal with white if you want a bit more contrast range to the pre-shading.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

head58 posted:

Thanks folks, I feared it was going to be nightmarish but wondered if I was missing something simple. Although to clarify, this is an AT Warhound so 1/4 the size of the regular one. And I was thinking one big solid diamond rather than tons of little facets, more like the comic book Emma Frost than the movie version if that makes any sense.

But this

is seriously tempting and would either be glorious or a surefire ticket to the Unspiration thread.

You could try doing a "star cloak" paint job from fantasy wizard models, except instead of the black background it will be off-white with blue stars. I don't think it will look good though.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Rhinestones have been ordered. I shall serve as an example to others, one way or another.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting some French lads

Zuul the Cat posted:

Finished up my first full unit for my French army.

One of the bummer things about metal models is that if you get a bad cast there's almost nothing you can do to fix it. The back left guy has no face at all. Looks a little nightmarish.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You could greenstuff your faceless guy to be the one sucker in the whole unit who didn't throw away his gas mask.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Let us not forget the Scrunt of legend; may his beard be long, his axe jagged, and his eyes forever different sizes/pointing in different directions.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Denevian posted:

Long time reader, first time poster. Got into mini painting 20 years after a brief stint in middle school, largely thanks to this thread. Picked up brushes again in December, and I was finally brave enough to tackle these Gellerpox Mutants.

Also, a question: anyone have a favorite ready-to-airbrush alternative for the new Wraithbone and Grey Seer? I've been getting by with mixing them with flow improver but I'd like something more consistent.

These are dope! Well done, and welcome back to the hobby.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I spray primed 22 of my 53 warcry models and started playing with the contrast paints I have (still missing a purple and the black).

They're pretty cool! I really like the effect, although I can understand why people wouldn't. It's going to be tough to adjust from my normal method of painting which is just "i'll fix it" looped into infinity, but I can totally see it saving time and giving great results with effort.

Good results with laziness is my creed though, so the 2 squigs I did tonight are probably done.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I got a dakkajet done!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I did a build log of my Stormhammer for Goonhammer.

Booley also took some nice photos of it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
These last two builds are pretty loving baller. Nice work!

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
I'm an absolute moron and managed to sheer off the nozzle cap on my sotar 20/20.

What's a good airbrush for around £100 - £140?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

H&S Silverline M should come in at that price point and it's a magnificent airbrush.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Want to say I've been doing some painting this evening and if you haven't taken the beer advice to use vallejo flow improver for brush painting, you're an imbecile. I put a little in a bottle cap, clean brush in water, then I flow improver the brush then get some paint and work it on the pallette. Smooth as silk.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JBP posted:

H&S Silverline M should come in at that price point and it's a magnificent airbrush.

This is a good recommendation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

gilljoy posted:

I'm an absolute moron and managed to sheer off the nozzle cap on my sotar 20/20.

What's a good airbrush for around £100 - £140?

You can buy spare parts for the SOTAR at USA Airbrush Supply. Ive hosed mine up with my idiot hands several times and have had to replace stuff.