Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

KillHour posted:

I generally haven't had many USB passthrough issues with ESX 6.

I have had literally zero USB pass through issues with zwave on Proxmox.

(This isn’t intended as a proxmox vs esx comparison so much as “usb pass through seems to work well on a wide variety of systems.”)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have the database stuff offloaded to a VM running on my desktop. That's not my issue with it. I'm more annoyed at how gung-ho HASS.io is about shielding me from the host OS. I was considering getting some NUC, but I'm not impressed at prices, even when used.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have the database stuff offloaded to a VM running on my desktop. That's not my issue with it. I'm more annoyed at how gung-ho HASS.io is about shielding me from the host OS. I was considering getting some NUC, but I'm not impressed at prices, even when used.

Yeah, I’m in the same spot. A goon reported getting a haswell i5 with 1GB for like $200 on refurb, but I haven’t seen that miracle repeated.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
If you want something nuc sized but cheaper (and don't need the latest gen processors), look on eBay for an HP Elitedesk 800 Mini.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that’s been my target. Not a lot in Canada, or without $70 shipping+import. I’ll keep at it!

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I just ordered a 4GB Pi4 to run HA and friends. Will I regret that?

The basic RPi uses an SD card which has a limited number of writes. That tends to blow up after a while. Change config to vastly reduce the amount of database updates through config changes to 'recorder', and/or move the database to another machine. I do both and no issues in a year, the first time it blew up with default settings it was under 3 months. I've read there are also options to use a USB thumb-drive for storage instead.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Moey posted:

If you want something nuc sized but cheaper (and don't need the latest gen processors), look on eBay for an HP Elitedesk 800 Mini.
For some reason I'm intent on finding a quad core, and ideally not that weak sauce Pentium J1900 or whatever it was. Also it needs to look somewhat fancy, since it's likely going to me mounted to a wall.

Decairn posted:

The basic RPi uses an SD card which has a limited number of writes. That tends to blow up after a while.
Samsung has high endurance cards. Whether that's worth a drat I don't know. But I have them in my Pis.

Decairn posted:

I've read there are also options to use a USB thumb-drive for storage instead.
How much better is that, anyway? Considering there's USB drives that are just barely larger than the actual plug part. I don't see how that's much different from a MicroSD card.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Combat Pretzel posted:

For some reason I'm intent on finding a quad core, and ideally not that weak sauce Pentium J1900 or whatever it was. Also it needs to look somewhat fancy, since it's likely going to me mounted to a wall.

Yeah, the Elitedesk Mini 800s come with haswell quad i5s. I’m looking at a Lenovo variant now that I’ll get if the guy confirms the wifi is 802.11ac.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
We buy a lot of those elitedesk minis at work for lab PCs and they are excellent. Get a VESA mount and slap em on the underside of a table, a wall, back of a monitor, whatever.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Combat Pretzel posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteDe...6UAAOSwfSldMoO5

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Subjunctive posted:

I just ordered a 4GB Pi4 to run HA and friends. Will I regret that?

I haven't had any problems with running Hass.io on my Pi3+, but I'm not doing anything too terribly fancy with it.

azurite posted:

The main issue I had with Hassio on the Pi 3+ was database bloat. Once I set the recorder to limit the scope of what is recorded and to purge every three days, it is fine.

https://www.home-assistant.io/components/recorder/

Another problem I'm having now seems to be a bug that was introduced recently. On cold boot, the DuckDNS add-on will apparently try to start and give up before the network is ready.

Moving Hassio to my home server would probably fix this, but introduce some other new and exciting issues.

Oh man, did you help me fix this or did we both run into it independently? Because I was in the same boat and couldn't figure out wtf was going on until I realized I had like a 3GB database file sitting around.

I shouldn't need to do a manual Purge via an automation script to make the drat thing usable, but it works so here I am.

Decairn posted:

The basic RPi uses an SD card which has a limited number of writes. That tends to blow up after a while. Change config to vastly reduce the amount of database updates through config changes to 'recorder', and/or move the database to another machine. I do both and no issues in a year, the first time it blew up with default settings it was under 3 months. I've read there are also options to use a USB thumb-drive for storage instead.

So from what I've read the quality of the SD card can also affect this dramatically. Sample size of 1 and all, but I got a decent SanDisc card and I haven't had any issues that appear to be due to SD card instability for almost 2 years.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Hubis posted:

I shouldn't need to do a manual Purge via an automation script to make the drat thing usable, but it works so here I am.

It supports automatic purging. No extra automations necessary. Did that not work for you?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Yes, but the only fixed that quite recently. The default settings were broken, so it never purged anything before that update unless you manually set it up.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

azurite posted:

It supports automatic purging. No extra automations necessary. Did that not work for you?

Tamba posted:

Yes, but the only fixed that quite recently. The default settings were broken, so it never purged anything before that update unless you manually set it up.

Yeah, exactly. I forget the exact chain of events but as I recall some kind of corruption / error could creep in which would cause the automatic purge to crash for whatever reason, so it would silently abort which ended up both never actually purging and never clearing the database. It was some kind of weird "if you have a log from this specific version with this specific setup you might have issues" kind of bug.

I probably don't need it anymore because as you say I think it was fixed, but since I already bothered to write an automation... vOv

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

They must've just fixed that this year. I only started doing it a few months ago.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It was fixed in this release:
https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2019/06/26/release-95/

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Crossposting from the NAS thread:

Can someone recommend some good home surveillance cameras that can write to my synology nas via Surveillance Station?

I'd like:

1. Night vision (it will be pointed out of our living room window that looks onto the entrance to our house).
2. PoE ethernet is preferable, but wifi and mains powered is fine too.
3. Not-chinese, I.e. not full of vulnerabilities and spyware, I.e. not Hikvision.
4. Works with Synology NASes. (I am aware of the compatibility web page that Synology hosts, there's far too many cameras listed to google each and every one of them to see if they tick all my other boxes).
5. Available in the UK.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Putting it behind a window limits your choices a lot, I'd say. Most night cameras use IR LEDs for illumination which won't work. I wonder if those Dahua Starlights would work anyway? They may be full of Chinese Spyware though.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Alright, I'm ok with forgetting the IR, it's a reasonably well lit street at night.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Steakandchips posted:

Crossposting from the NAS thread:

Can someone recommend some good home surveillance cameras that can write to my synology nas via Surveillance Station?

I'd like:

1. Night vision (it will be pointed out of our living room window that looks onto the entrance to our house).
2. PoE ethernet is preferable, but wifi and mains powered is fine too.
3. Not-chinese, I.e. not full of vulnerabilities and spyware, I.e. not Hikvision.
4. Works with Synology NASes. (I am aware of the compatibility web page that Synology hosts, there's far too many cameras listed to google each and every one of them to see if they tick all my other boxes).
5. Available in the UK.

1. Either put in an external IR illuminator and a non-illuminated camera outside, or run a Starlight camera. If it's really dark, even a Starlight won't be great. Being behind a window basically blocks the IR, so no normal "night vision" camera will work. The Starlight sensors are great, and can give a good picture even with very little light. Don't bother with the high-res (4K) versions, the 2MP ones are fine, especially for close range stuff.
2. Everything worth owning is PoE. WiFi cameras can easily be jammed or de-authed. PoE all the way.
3. Good loving luck. They're basically all Chinese chipsets with God-knows-what firmware. Stick the cameras on their own VLAN (or actual LAN if you're not a networking person), and never let them see the internet. Again, Don't put your cameras online. At best, they get compromised and someone gets to watch your door. At worst, they become part of a botnet and launch a DDoS attack or similar, plus attack your home network. Got any other IoT stuff? Do some research about how to secure that too. Relevant: https://xkcd.com/1966/
4. By "Works" do you mean works with the Synology Surveillance station, or just can record to the NAS? Most Dahua cameras can record to a NAS. Synology's licensing strategy is kind of bullshit, you have to pay per camera. If you only need one camera, then it's OK, I guess. I'm a Blue Iris user, and it's really very good software. I run it on a server, but for a single camera, it would run on a SFF or Micro sized $200 desktop. I've then got lots of secure ways of connecting to the server from elsewhere. Remember that your Synology is a serious security risk as well, so think twice about just putting it on the internet behind a password. Use key-based auth (SSH or VPN) or expect it to be compromised. Ditto with a BlueIris server (or anything IMHO).
5. Most of these cameras are rebadged, and the parent camera is usually available on Ali Express/Amazon if you know where to look.

I'd suggest heading over to IPCamTalk and checking some reviews on cameras. Mostly everything can be configured to use ONVIF, which Synology supports. I'm a real fan of Dahua, specifically through Andy (AliExpress, Amazon, or directly). I've purchased over a dozen cameras from him, and haven't had a problem yet. If you buy from anyone else, you'll probably get hacked Chinese firmware which can't be upgraded. If you have specific model or feature questions, post here or over there, and you'll probably get a cogent reply.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 17, 2019

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Everything sharks just said, x2. My dahua 2mp starlights are a great midrange cam, I haven’t had a single issue in years. Bought mine through Andy as well, no regrets.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

In Home Assistant, how do I relay a web site on the local intranet through its UI? Similar to Node RED, which runs a web instance on another port and HA does proxy it when accessing it through the HA UI?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

In Home Assistant, how do I relay a web site on the local intranet through its UI? Similar to Node RED, which runs a web instance on another port and HA does proxy it when accessing it through the HA UI?

Probably you want to use a Panel iFrame.

https://www.home-assistant.io/components/panel_iframe/

This is just an iFrame - it doesn’t proxy the site, it just lets the UI give you a frame which the site loads inside of.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
How many people afraid of Dahua/Hikvision/et all dialing home to China give their cameras valid gateway / DNS values?

Honest question: Are they concerned these cameras defy TCP/IP and have hidden Internet access buried in there silicon? Even in the face of wiresharked data showing otherwise?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Tapedump posted:

How many people afraid of Dahua/Hikvision/et all dialing home to China give their cameras valid gateway / DNS values?

Honest question: Are they concerned these cameras defy TCP/IP and have hidden Internet access buried in there silicon? Even in the face of wiresharked data showing otherwise?

Giving them valid DNS is not enough. Confirmed by my traffic logs.

I just thrown them on a VLAN that isn't accessible to the internet and it works just fine. The only other thing on that VLAN is one of the NICs for my DVR.

Not surprisingly, when I was doing this kind of thing professionally for municipalities and police departments even with super expensive Axis gear many certification standards would not allow the cameras to be on an internet accessible (from either direction) VLAN. And in fact manufacturers like that actually encourage/demand you set it up that way and specifically support it in their DVRs (like not requiring internet access for camera updates and having a piece of software/component of the DVR that acts as a proxy to upgrade firmware). To the extent that some versions of Axis Camera Station would throw up warnings if any of the cameras could reach some arbitrary and not-necessary internet address/IP.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 19, 2019

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I’m in an all-Apple household, looking for a smart thermostat for my new house. What is currently the best? I’m not hung up on HomeKit support as long as it still works seamlessly with iOS.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
For an all-Apple household, you’ll want HomeKit integration. Google and Alexa work but you’ll never get OS or native Siri integration.

I could be wrong about that though. Shortcuts does allow for quite a bit of customization.

Anyway, HomeKit thermostats begin with the ecobee. Go for the 3 if you still can as it’s got everything you need and the 4 only adds an Alexa speaker/mic and some misc upgrades.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Tapedump posted:

You show me 60+days of clean Wireshark logs, and I'll show you a camera that'll ping China in 61 days. They ALL have backdoor logins and firmware bugs. Go ahead and put them online, see how that works. This has been verified dozens of times. Maybe Wyze cams with aftermarket firmware, so long as it's maintained. Motronic knows what he's talking about.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Motronic posted:

Not surprisingly, when I was doing this kind of thing professionally for municipalities and police departments even with super expensive Axis gear many certification standards would not allow the cameras to be on an internet accessible (from either direction) VLAN. And in fact manufacturers like that actually encourage/demand you set it up that way and specifically support it in their DVRs (like not requiring internet access for camera updates and having a piece of software/component of the DVR that acts as a proxy to upgrade firmware). To the extent that some versions of Axis Camera Station would throw up warnings if any of the cameras could reach some arbitrary and not-necessary internet address/IP.

When I first got in to cameras I was very confused by the fact that so many IP DVR devices had built in PoE switches. It seemed so counterintuitive to integrate those things considering how cheap a good switch is these days. Eventually it became clear though, not only does it make the installation feel more familiar to those who have done analog video systems but it loosely enforces having the cameras on a private network segment by making it likely something will break if you were to connect those ports to another network. Someone who has no idea what they're doing is a lot more likely to end up with something reasonable when using those devices.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Kalman posted:

Probably you want to use a Panel iFrame.

https://www.home-assistant.io/components/panel_iframe/

This is just an iFrame - it doesn’t proxy the site, it just lets the UI give you a frame which the site loads inside of.

Yeah, an ipanel just opens a session with the specified URL and displays it inside the UI. It will work internally, but won't work externally (via DuckDNS+LetsEncrypt / NabuCasa, for example) unless the ports you want visible are also being forwarded.

If you only care about access from your local network, it should work fine.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I should have clarified better.

My question should have been, "Absent a separate VLAN but given that cameras are setup without any gateway nor DNS servers defined, how certain are one's observations that these (two brands of) cameras are reaching out to anything at all?"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Tapedump posted:

I should have clarified better.

My question should have been, "Absent a separate VLAN but given that cameras are setup without any gateway nor DNS servers defined, how certain are one's observations that these (two brands of) cameras are reaching out to anything at all?"

Is there DHCP? Because I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised to see them drab DHCP info if they can't get to the internet with their manual config. Or one of a host of other ways of figuring out the gateway.

Bottom line - what's the huge blocker from simply doing it right? They are a known high risk, so put them in non-internet jail like they're supposed to be.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If I was trying to slurp up info with my firmware, the first thing I'd do is check a bunch of common gateway addresses and DNS servers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Thermopyle posted:

If I was trying to slurp up info with my firmware, the first thing I'd do is check a bunch of common gateway addresses and DNS servers.

Yeah. <first three of my static assigned IP address> .1 and then .254. Sweet, gateway. 8.8.8.8

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Motronic posted:

Is there DHCP? Because I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised to see them drab DHCP info if they can't get to the internet with their manual config. Or one of a host of other ways of figuring out the gateway.

Bottom line - what's the huge blocker from simply doing it right? They are a known high risk, so put them in non-internet jail like they're supposed to be.

This is one of the reasons at work all of our IP cameras are on completely separate physical network infrastructure from the rest of our network with their own cabling and switches. The only time the networks "meet" so to speak is at the NVR server on its own NIC. The camera LAN has no path to the internet or indeed anywhere off that network.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

stevewm posted:

This is one of the reasons at work all of our IP cameras are on completely separate physical network infrastructure from the rest of our network with their own cabling and switches. The only time the networks "meet" so to speak is at the NVR server on its own NIC. The camera LAN has no path to the internet or indeed anywhere off that network.

When you've got enough cameras to do this I don't see why you wouldn't. Most places I've done this just aren't big enough (local PDs, etc) so they get their own kitty jail VLAN just for cost savings. You know if someone screwed up because the camera server's "dirty nic" won't be able to find the vlan on the port of the cameras where it got fat fingered and it doesn't look for cameras on the other NIC.

This is been good enough for the state and FBI's compliance requirements.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Hey man, it's your network, you do you. If you think leaving the DNS and gateway fields unpopulated or populated with addresses that don't resolve is safe enough, then go for it. The Dahua cameras have a search utility that can cross subnets even if the mask isn't opened up, so I'm going to stick with VLAN/separate network. Might as well leave the default user/pass too, since there's a hardcoded backdoor.

https://ipvm.com/reports/dahua-backdoor
https://ipvm.com/reports/axis-critical
https://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/44328 (Hikvision)
https://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/47188 (Amcrest)

network-chat:

At my shop, I've got a 5-port PoE switch (4 PoE and one unpowered port). That's 4 cameras, and a patch cable that goes from the unpowered port to my main switch (on it's own VLAN). The only other thing on that VLAN is the port that goes to one port of my server's 4-port NIC. TBH, I could have just patched the unpowered port to the server directly, but I'm planning more expansion... got a 48-port PoE Switch coming on Thursday. I'm really excited to try out the 10G-over-HDMI stacking port. Dell 55xx series, BTW.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

sharkytm posted:

network-chat:

At my shop, I've got a 5-port PoE switch (4 PoE and one unpowered port). That's 4 cameras, and a patch cable that goes from the unpowered port to my main switch (on it's own VLAN). The only other thing on that VLAN is the port that goes to one port of my server's 4-port NIC. TBH, I could have just patched the unpowered port to the server directly, but I'm planning more expansion... got a 48-port PoE Switch coming on Thursday. I'm really excited to try out the 10G-over-HDMI stacking port. Dell 55xx series, BTW.

I've got a couple of PoE Mikrotiks (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079YSKPSJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). One in the barn, one upstairs (rack is in the basement). The barn currently doesn't have any ethernet out to it, so it's powering 3 cameras plus a Ubiquiti UAC-AC-PRO set to downlink from one of the same in the house. Been working pretty well. The other little Mikrotik is upstairs to run the cameras I have in the soffits/dormers of the house and is cabled down to the switch in the rack.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

I've got a couple of PoE Mikrotiks (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079YSKPSJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). One in the barn, one upstairs (rack is in the basement). The barn currently doesn't have any ethernet out to it, so it's powering 3 cameras plus a Ubiquiti UAC-AC-PRO set to downlink from one of the same in the house. Been working pretty well. The other little Mikrotik is upstairs to run the cameras I have in the soffits/dormers of the house and is cabled down to the switch in the rack.

Sweet setup. Luckily, all my stuff is at my shop, which is in a commercial steel building and has all the ribs/framing exposed internally. Running cable is stupid easy, just a 100' fishtape and a box of Cat5e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Since my girlfriend is moving out I need to change the locks. On my main entry door if like to get a smart lock since I have to get new stuff anyways. Two questions. Is it a bad idea to get smart locks? And is this one the Wirecutter recommended a good choice?