Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Flesh Forge posted:

right but the problem is this map (Arboria) does not have bristle berries anywhere as far as I know

You can get them from the pod, and a decent farmer has a higher chance of getting seeds when harvesting

EDIT: apparently my phone was behind

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
when I start getting respectable amounts of pisswater you can be drat sure I am setting up a piss waterfall
e: the geyser water comes across at just the perfect temperature for the pincha peppers too, what a great map :allears:

nb: I have never actually cooked anything with these, my people only know the way of the lice

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 15, 2019

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Away all Goats posted:

I see. Kind of a weird game rule but I'm learning there's kind of a lot of weird stuff like that in this game.

It's not really a game rule, it's an emergent outcome. Once water is pumped, it's just Water as far as dupes care, so they'll happily carry it to whatever needs water. If this water is germy, it's a problem. And if you're not piping it directly to the plants, the dupes need to carry it, and if they get a higher priority task mid-task they may drop it and then it's just "go ahead and fill the water cooler / microbe musher / etc with this super germy water it's nbd".

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Triarii posted:

Unless they changed it with the launch update, flatulent dupes will fart right through their suits. I guess it has a convenient rear end port to prevent a dangerous buildup of pressure?

Not only is it annoying because they'll ruin your gas setups, but it also deprives you of the hilarity of the dupe taking the suit off at the end of the day and erupting in an explosion of natural gas (which is actually what happens with polluted water if they soiled themselves in the suit).

(!!!!!!!)

I finally know where mystery piss is coming from!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Never take a dupe with that bathroom negative trait because it fucks up that schedule real bad. In fact there’s not really any reason to take any negative trait but gastrophobia and the doctor one if you can.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Did that change recently? I could swear I remember at one time wearing atmo suits made a dupe's bladder stat just not happen.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah I think it was part of QoL3 or release

What I don’t remember is if it still makes CO2 just not a thing or if that empties out when the suit comes off too

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Apparently the Slime Molds world trait does not actually let you get mushroom spores in the slime blobs it adds to the map. I guess you can refine it to algae if you really want algae? Seems like a lot more of a negative than positive.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
making algae with it also gives you polluted water, which is arguably more useful than making algae with it

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
No cooking/attack/research is ok to take if you already have someone dedicated to doing those things. Proper bedroom placement makes loud sleeper irrelevant. I have a no builder dupe that's fine because she's dedicated to hauling and supplying.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
There's not really a ton of reason to single out dupes for specific roles in the long term if your priorities are set okay. Like I get it early on but dupes are immortal and eventually they'll just cap out every common skill (~25 or used to be) so there's no reason not to have everyone do everything in the end. I really dislike having no building or digging in that regard.

For tidy/supply specifically, all generic storage should be set to 4 unless you specifically need it moved ASAP, that way all storage tasks are done after other jobs. All supply jobs should really be handled by a sweeper arm in time, you just 6-7 a container next to the arm and never think about it again. For all the times you have that dupe doing their specialty job you have downtime because that specific dupe is busy doing something on the other side of the map and no other dupes have the same assignments, everyone doing everything lets proximity queuing work best and it averages out pretty fast.

You can get morale to ~40 pretty easily with nature reserves in the game now even just on fried mushrooms so filling out the job tree with everything but like cooking/art/astronaut is still doable. I'm already in the mid-20s and they're still suitless, eating mealwood and aren't getting decor capped everywhere they step.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 15, 2019

Qubee
May 31, 2013

For proper bedroom placement, I usually encapsulate small rooms and separately room each Dupe. Is this enough to stop snorers waking up neighbours, or can the noise pass through walls?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Qubee posted:

For proper bedroom placement, I usually encapsulate small rooms and separately room each Dupe. Is this enough to stop snorers waking up neighbours, or can the noise pass through walls?

it can't pass through solid walls but it can pass through semisolid walls (airflow tiles, mesh tiles) and the basic pneumatic doors you start with

you can see the noise emanating from them when they're asleep, it's shaded tiles that appear around noisy dupes periodically

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

a plastic bed also just stops the loud snoring thing, so you can just cram 4 of those in a room and still have the bedroom buff and no downsides

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

piratepilates posted:

a plastic bed also just stops the loud snoring thing, so you can just cram 4 of those in a room and still have the bedroom buff and no downsides

Is it worth worrying about snoring before you get the ability to make plastic beds?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Literally just make a schedule where they don't sleep at the same time and the problem is entirely gone. Other dupes can sleep on that schedule if they are 2+ beds away.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

RandomBlue posted:

Is it worth worrying about snoring before you get the ability to make plastic beds?

The dupes who sleep cheek-to-jowl with the snorer will wake up every morning with a debuff for being woken up constantly. I've always isolated them from other sleepers; I find one or two isn't too bad, you can slide them in at the end of a barracks or tuck a 2-bed barracks with the correct spacing into a leftover chunk of real estate. So I will take one or two if they're going to be a big help right away.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

President Ark posted:

it can't pass through solid walls but it can pass through semisolid walls (airflow tiles, mesh tiles) and the basic pneumatic doors you start with

you can see the noise emanating from them when they're asleep, it's shaded tiles that appear around noisy dupes periodically

It doesn't look like it passes anything, maybe that's a recent change:

e: multiple schedules is good though, it makes it much less likely there will ever be a bathroom/other amenity conflict

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

RandomBlue posted:

:shrug: until that I point I just space out cots an extra 3 tiles for loud snorers, 9 duplicants is 3 cots per 4x16 room, and real estate usually isn't at enough of a premium for 3 4x16 rooms being a big deal

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

What is the difference between Heavi-Watt Wire and Heavi-Watt Conductive Wire, other than needing refined metal and a somewhat less terrible decor value?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Higher power limit, I'm pretty sure? Heavy-watt can only take 20kW before taking damage.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Nothing. It's pretty much a running joke by now.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
One of those Cairath mods a link to I posted makes it 50kw

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

Nothing. It's pretty much a running joke by now.

I've been upgrading all my heavywatt to conductive :(

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

one is raw ore, the other is refined metal. if you have a surplus of one but not the other, that could make the difference too.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

It's nice being able to decide not to give a drat about slimelung, but how does this even happen

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Picking up slime and carrying it past the printing pod?

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Was a germy dupe using the pod to skill up?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

TehSaurus posted:

I've been upgrading all my heavywatt to conductive :(

If you have a metal volcano, you should always use conductive heavy-watt instead of regular. You're actually able to combat the negative decor and end up positive by statue-spamming. If you use gold conductive heavy-watt you can actually hit the 120 decor cap (I know instantaneous decor can go way past 120, but even hitting 120 down a corridor with heavy-watt is impressive).

If you have a good industrial brick and are on a map with > 100T of gold amalgam, just refine 50T of it and use it anyway. What are you going to use the second 50T of gold amalgam for, that you didn't use the first 50T of amalgam for?

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
My latest colony is on Arboria and I am focusing on learning and getting better at Agriculture, Ranching and starting to dip into Automation. I'm really enjoying it so far. The immediate area around the printer i've kept basically pristine and have let pips plant poo poo everywhere. It's really neat looking and fun. Also makes it very easy to have (multiple!) nature reserves for +6 morale.

I'm slowly growing bristle berries thanks to the printer, and almost have a room full of glossy drekkos. I'm not sure what to try to critter ranch next, probably hatches? I want to try a pacu farm, but from what I've read they obliterate algae extremely quickly so I don't know how long-term viable it is on Arboria.

As far as automation goes, in my drekko farms I set up 2 gas element sensors in their top "room," one at the bottom, one at the top, connected to an AND gate then to a NOT gate connected to an air pump. Essentially, if the room isn't filled with hydrogen, anything not hydrogen gets pumped out. Probably completely unnecessary, but I felt accomplished, at least.

Game still fun.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You could just have the sensor at the bottom and skip the and gate. Hydrogen is the lightest gas, so if there isn't some at the top of the room then it's already all gone.

I have a similar arrangement in my water treatment chamber to keep it full of chlorine, and one at the oil refinery to make sure the pump only tries to get methane when there's actually some there instead of wasting power making the room a vacuum. Gas sensors are great.

On a related note, are material densities listed anywhere?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Mechanical Ape posted:

Was a germy dupe using the pod to skill up?
That might do it

pokchu posted:

My latest colony is on Arboria and I am focusing on learning and getting better at Agriculture, Ranching and starting to dip into Automation. I'm really enjoying it so far. The immediate area around the printer i've kept basically pristine and have let pips plant poo poo everywhere. It's really neat looking and fun. Also makes it very easy to have (multiple!) nature reserves for +6 morale.

I'm slowly growing bristle berries thanks to the printer, and almost have a room full of glossy drekkos. I'm not sure what to try to critter ranch next, probably hatches? I want to try a pacu farm, but from what I've read they obliterate algae extremely quickly so I don't know how long-term viable it is on Arboria.

As far as automation goes, in my drekko farms I set up 2 gas element sensors in their top "room," one at the bottom, one at the top, connected to an AND gate then to a NOT gate connected to an air pump. Essentially, if the room isn't filled with hydrogen, anything not hydrogen gets pumped out. Probably completely unnecessary, but I felt accomplished, at least.

Game still fun.

Get a Puft ranch going to feed Algae Distillers, and repeatedly build/fill/deconstruct liquid reservoirs to get 5t bottles of polluted water which offgas a lot of polluted oxygen. (Or if you want to go fully sustainable use Morbs. You need outhouses that are full and not disabled in order to spawn a Morb every few days, so it requires some planning to make uncleanable crappers.)

Kinda convoluted supply chain but it's a resource management game so whachagonnado. You end up with a lot of eggs+meat just from the Pufts but also get algae to farm Pacus as well. Also the Puft morphs that produce oxylite which helps do space stuff, and bleachstone which has uses.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
What’s a good room setup for puffs? I was reading they have to rise t the top to breathe out, so does it need a long shallow room so they don’t have far to travel upwards?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I try to go for long and shallow puft ranches so there's more surface area for polluted water to off-gas. A long thin line of water is better than a tank of it for puft feeding.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
I've got a rudimentary puft ranch set up, with 2 regular pufts and a prince as seed birds. I feel like I should set up two more so I have a room of oxygen, chlorine, and polluted oxygen for each type of pufster.

My other colonies have run into issues of lots of gas buildup, so this time around near the center of my base I've built a super-pressurized oxygen chamber (my seed has absurd amounts of water via 2 close cool steam vents, and a salt water geyser) in case i need to deconstruct a tile and blow-out my base with O2. Can't wait to see how it goes wrong when the time comes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

LegoMan posted:

No cooking/attack/research is ok to take if you already have someone dedicated to doing those things. Proper bedroom placement makes loud sleeper irrelevant. I have a no builder dupe that's fine because she's dedicated to hauling and supplying.

No mining is also not bad. Since there's usually poo poo that pretty much always needs done it just isn't that big of a deal if a dupe or two can't do something important. Doing something like having two of your three starting dupes having trypohpobia would be foolish but one unconstructive dupe at the get go isn't going to ruin you. As you print more dupes this just gets more true; if you have eight dupes but two of them can't dig then well hey they're cooks or farmers or something whatever.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No mining is also not bad. Since there's usually poo poo that pretty much always needs done it just isn't that big of a deal if a dupe or two can't do something important. Doing something like having two of your three starting dupes having trypohpobia would be foolish but one unconstructive dupe at the get go isn't going to ruin you. As you print more dupes this just gets more true; if you have eight dupes but two of them can't dig then well hey they're cooks or farmers or something whatever.

Alternately, a non-digging dupe is the one that will die trapped behind a column of sand.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Raising shine bugs is fun, albeit almost completely pointless.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

nrook posted:

Raising shine bugs is fun, albeit almost completely pointless.

one of the morphs are required to make the strongest medicine, which I only found out after I destroyed all shinebugs on my map. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Can't you eat the eggs also