Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
The lowest torque I need to apply is 6Nm, so I guess 50 inch•lbs. Not quite zero. And you have hit upon the issue I'm trying to resolve. The manual says I've got to tighten bolts to 23, 24, 32, 33 and 35 Nm. So I was crossing my fingers hoping that somebody knew about a 1/4" wrench with a higher than normal upper range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DreadLlama posted:

The lowest torque I need to apply is 6Nm, so I guess 50 inch•lbs. Not quite zero. And you have hit upon the issue I'm trying to resolve. The manual says I've got to tighten bolts to 23, 24, 32, 33 and 35 Nm. So I was crossing my fingers hoping that somebody knew about a 1/4" wrench with a higher than normal upper range.

Something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-Tools-962219-Torque-7-105Nm/dp/B01M5KCNQW perhaps?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
You could try and do it manually. Find a hanging scale and attach it about 10cm down the shaft of a regular wrench, and pull on the bottom of the scale to turn the wrench. Each kilo the scale registers should be about 1Nm (1 kg is almost 10 N, so when applied at 0.1m should be 1Nm) so stop pulling when the scale gets up to 6. Might be helpful to have a friend tapping on the head of the bolt to get over the initial friction or inertia and get the bolt turning.

IANAE and only vaguely remember high school physics so I could be completely wrong here.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Dude that's loving perfect. Thanks!

edit: ffffffff Canadian version unavailable https://www.amazon.ca/Silverline-Tools-962219-8-Inch-Drive/dp/B01MTG4N1O

Nevets posted:

You could try and do it manually.

Only if I wanted to kill myself right after.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 9, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DreadLlama posted:

Dude that's loving perfect. Thanks!

Uhhhhh....I'd be VERY suspicious of anything like that doing 7 nm accurately. So I suppose it depends on just how accurate you need to be.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Silverline are a local outfit that sell cheap poo poo tools so I wouldn't expect it to be amazingly accurate either, but I'm presuming it's white-labelled import stuff and available under another name near you, if you're OK with cheap & cheerful.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
bike torque wrench

https://www.parktool.com/product/ratcheting-click-type-torque-wrench-tw-5-2

some other good options:
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/torque-wrench-grouptest-21897

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Can you order from Freedomland Amazon, or do you have to buy through your own?

https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-4-Inch-Torque-Wrench-2-26-22-6/dp/B01LX4ND65

https://www.amazon.ca/EPAuto-4-Inch-Torque-Wrench-2-26-22-6/dp/B01LX4ND65/

These two look identical, the US listing one is very highly reviewed & also half the price.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I think I could order from freedomland, but that wrench would definitely need to be the smaller part of a set of two, which is still Plan B at the moment.

fake edit:
This is broke inside isn't it? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Torqueleader-ADS40F-3-8-Inch-Square-Drive-Torque-Wrench/122749673133?hash=item1c94735ead:g:s8YAAOSw7PJbslFA

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

quote:

This item was previously owned,
some of the paint has worn from regular use,
but item itself is in good condition.
Many are available, the one you may receive may differ from the photo,
but all available units are in same condition.
They have been inspected and tested.
For further cosmetic details see photos,
if you have any further questions do not hesitate to reach us by eBay messaging.

quote:

Item is Used/New? Used
Item was Tested/Untested? Untested
Power Requirements?
QTY Included in This Sale? 1
Cosmetic Condition? Good
Box Dimensions? 18" x 12" x 11"
Dimensional Weight for Shipping
Our Postal Code is: J3B 2N2 7 Kg
Manual,leads,accessories? none

Emphasis mine.

A couple red flags there, seems like a gamble to me.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I am ripping laminate planks as well as 1x4 boards for door trim in an awkward doorway. Can I get away with using a circular saw and some sort of track system or guide like this, or should I cough up the dough for a table saw? Or is there a better tool I'm not thinking of?

I assume the table saw is more foolproof but the laminate cuts will be hidden under baseboards and the 1x4 will be pressed up against a wall, so I don't know how perfect the cuts need to be beyond not obviously bad. The table saw would also be twice as much.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

just another posted:

I am ripping laminate planks as well as 1x4 boards for door trim in an awkward doorway. Can I get away with using a circular saw and some sort of track system or guide like this, or should I cough up the dough for a table saw? Or is there a better tool I'm not thinking of?

I assume the table saw is more foolproof but the laminate cuts will be hidden under baseboards and the 1x4 will be pressed up against a wall, so I don't know how perfect the cuts need to be beyond not obviously bad. The table saw would also be twice as much.

You can. The table saw will be faster and more consistent because you're setting up the cut once and then bringing the wood to the tool, whereas with a track saw you're taking the tool to the wood and setting up a new cut each time, with opportunity for error. If you've got a margin for error, an eye for accuracy, and the time to do it, then it'll work fine. You'll have to put some thought into how you're going to support the saw while cutting the 1x4s.

If it's just one doorway it might be easier to do it by hand.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

just another posted:

Idk what you mean by laminate planks. You can get a rip fence for most circular saws, and for a lot less than that glorified straight-edge board you linked on Amazon.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
They just mean flooring and I would deffo just clamp a level instead of buying that

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Those straight edge clamps are nice in that you can clamp from one side and not really have to worry about squaring it up.

However I never see them work great and you are limited to the size of the clamp. Save your money and clamp your level.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I don't think the 1x4's and laminate planks would be wide enough to effectively clamp that on the ends and have room for the circular saw's built-in guides, unless you're only ripping off, like, 1/4 or 1/2".

Though maybe you could put the 1x4 or flooring on top of a piece of plywood and then clamp everything onto that?

Personally, I'd just try to find a halfway decent used table saw on CL for like $50-100.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Theres a bunch of little tricks you can do like building a jig to hold it or screwing down your cutoff but the clamps being in the way are definitely something to think about

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll just begrudgingly rent a table saw if I can't find a used one.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I dont know if this has enough capacity for 1x4s but i used this to do a bunch of rooms of flooring, laminate saw blades were very cheap too for this size of blade but i had to order online. it can do rips, miters and is light and portable.

sold it after i was done and barely lost any money on it

https://www.amazon.com/SKIL-3601-02-Flooring-Contractor-Blade/dp/B00J21SL4A

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Why... why do they offer them in 2, 3, or 4-packs? It's a powertool, not a box of cereal.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nevets posted:

Why... why do they offer them in 2, 3, or 4-packs? It's a powertool, not a box of cereal.

bicut
tricut
quadcut

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Nevets posted:

If people are dumb enough to buy them at those prices, then it's worth it for the seller to list them. I wonder how many of these are just money laundering at work. Ditto on ridiculous prices on poo poo on eBay.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

From what I've seen half of the time the 2-pack, 3-pack, etc. stuff is more expensive per-item. I've always figured it was marketplace sellers trying to trick lazy shoppers. You find the item you want, see that you can get a 2-pack, and click on that without noticing it costs 25% more than ordering 2 single ones. Then the seller probably orders 2 of those on Amazon themselves and has them shipped directly to the buyer.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Nevets posted:

Two is one, one is none. What happens when your saw breaks on the job? :colbert:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

JEEVES420 posted:

Two is one, one is none. What happens when your saw breaks on the job? :colbert:

Blame the client.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
today’s tools that I loving DESPISE:

- Irwin taps. Yes, I should have waited to get actual, good taps versus hardware store dealies. That said, gently caress you Irwin, a 1/8” npt chasing an existing loving thread by hand should not goddamned fracture. Now I gotta do the usual whack with hammer and cold chisel to clear the damned thing. gently caress.

- oh fuckin boy let’s talk about ~~~vector network analyzers~~~ so part of what we do for work is we make plasma sources because I am a special snowflake that enjoys such things. There’s something called RF impedance matching which more or less amounts to the equivalent of a transmission to make sure your rf source (engine) transfers power as efficiently as possible to your antenna (wheels). It is a car analogy, etc. The way this is done is traditionally with a capacitor/inductor configuration to balance everything out to match the rf generator impedance. The fancy way of doing this is to hook your antenna up to a vector network analyzer, enter the rf generator parameters, and basically press button.

This certainly gave numbers for the circuit but my efficiency was 1%, which is basically gently caress you level bad. After dicking with the loving thing for two god damned weeks I finally just drew the loving circuit, took some wild rear end guesses at antenna parameters, and calculated circuit values by hand, and got 97% transmission efficiency in a hour. I have no idea what is wrong with the stupid loving thing but I want tektronix to know my pain. In conclusion, gently caress tek VNAs and gently caress me for not just doing first principles like an actual engineer.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I love Tool Time.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

Tim Thomas posted:

- oh fuckin boy let’s talk about ~~~vector network analyzers~~~

What's calibration like with that? Is it automated or do you have to do it by hand?

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
the fuckin cal sticker says i shouldn't have to do poo poo, gently caress!

typically the way one cals a VNA is that they use known LCR loads in a couple configurations and off you go, but given that the thing looks fine for a known L, a known C, a known LC, i have no loving idea what the hell is going on. i'm gonna bet it has something to do with either my R being bonkers low or just general RF loving voodoo.

here, have a lovely hydrogen plasma at 200W

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You work on a spaceship right?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

cakesmith handyman posted:

You work on a spaceship right?

Nah, that's military. They're gonna strap it to a plane and then blow up a house with it via expanding popcorn.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Tim Thomas posted:

general RF loving voodoo.

Wherein the act of moving the test article about 4 inches to the left transforms it from a stupid useless pile of not working why won't you behave into 'yes, exactly as calculated'. I love that in some things, the difference between a perfectly knife edged 90 degree bend in a waveguide and one with a 3 thou round-over due to polishing and deburring is enough to materially affect the transmission parameters.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
oh man, not even microwave, i'm running 13.56 so this may as well be dc for christsakes, despite the various fuckery that happens

the one time i dicked with a microwave source it was very much a WHERE WE'RE GOING WE DON'T NEED THEORY IT'S JUST STRAIGHT FUCKIN WITCHCRAFT and that bothers me

today in lovely tools: we are a startup and are trying to spend no money, and i am also trying to find the leak that is keeping base pressure at four scale while running the turbos; my ghetto RGA centered on Helium sitting in front of the only vacuum path still has not found a goddamned leak that i should be able to find pretty quickly

and yes, i tested the rga by doing a direct helium bleed into the chamber and the RGA spiked into oblivion

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It's my understanding that compressors that can output the CFM and PSI to handle a paint sprayer are fairly pricey?

Not that I have a great need for one, just thinking with a new house purchase and the amount of painting I'll be doing of cabinet doors, new trim/baseboard/etc... It could be nice. But probably out of my budget.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You'd be better served by an airless paint sprayer for work like that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's my understanding that compressors that can output the CFM and PSI to handle a paint sprayer are fairly pricey?

I used an air-powered paint sprayer with the Porter-Cable pancake compressor and it worked fine. I didn't have to stop all that often to let it recharge.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not that I have a great need for one, just thinking with a new house purchase and the amount of painting I'll be doing of cabinet doors, new trim/baseboard/etc... It could be nice. But probably out of my budget.

I'm vaguely thinking of switching over to spraying for my house just because rollers can be a hassle sometimes. Not that it helps, I suppose, since you really need to roll the walls after anyway.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

You can rent paint sprayers but obviously depending on how much you're doing it might be worth it to just buy it (and resell it after?). After you've done it and get the hang of it you really wonder why you did it any other way..

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

You can rent paint sprayers but obviously depending on how much you're doing it might be worth it to just buy it (and resell it after?). After you've done it and get the hang of it you really wonder why you did it any other way..

I've already got a compressor so I'd just be buying the hvlp sprayer part but it means finding good quality ones and learning about tip sizes and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm vaguely thinking of switching over to spraying for my house just because rollers can be a hassle sometimes. Not that it helps, I suppose, since you really need to roll the walls after anyway.

Graco makes a roller attachment you set your airless on the lowest setting and it pumps paint into the roller. Voila, no back and forth to a pan, drips, etc. I don't have that attachment, nor have I used one, but it looks pretty intuitive. I just finished painting my house I'd bought the airless for 5 years ago, and 1 job more than pays for itself.

edit

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've already got a compressor so I'd just be buying the hvlp sprayer part but it means finding good quality ones and learning about tip sizes and such

FYI, it takes a bigass compressor to pump out enough material using an hvlp or cup gun imo.