Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Run 5: Time Mages, Summoner, Geomancer, Dancer

quick

leak

lol

And with that...

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I might be mistaken, but doesn't RK refuse to count your #victory if you skip NED?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Maleketh posted:

I might be mistaken, but doesn't RK refuse to count your #victory if you skip NED?

Nope, as long as he dies you're fine.

Hell, I skipped past NED twice this year (quick leak here and Kiss of Blessing on an earlier run) and they both counted with no problems.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

There are a lot of things RK opposes (modding, skipping NED, glitch abuse in general), but I've never heard of him refusing to count a run because of them. Probably because he realises that forcing his views on other players would fragment the already rather small Fiesta community.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Samuel Clemens posted:

There are a lot of things RK opposes

Final Fantasy Tactics.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

KataraniSword posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics.

Anything Matsuno-related, really.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

BisbyWorl posted:

Run 5: Time Mages, Summoner, Geomancer, Dancer

quick

leak

lol

And with that...

I think I got the math on that right....

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KataraniSword posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics.
Does he really? What's the background here, aside from shamefully bad taste?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Does he really? What's the background here, aside from shamefully bad taste?

Taste combined with people constantly trying to push it on him. Overhype can ruin anything for a person if you're not receptive to it.

It got to the point where as an early incentive for his patreon, he streamed playing through it. He hated every moment of it, from what I recall.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

There's also the fact that in terms of gameplay FFTactics is mostly a just okay game, and has major issues that you may or may not be able to overlook (like not seeing the map while deploying, which isn't even an issue of "expected at the time" if my mental timeline is correct). It's very hard to go back to after playing, say, Knight of Lodis or the FFTA titles.

Solid story, mind, though even that suffers in the latter half from essentially being a gaiden to a story that existed purely in the writer's head.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

KataraniSword posted:

Taste combined with people constantly trying to push it on him. Overhype can ruin anything for a person if you're not receptive to it.

It got to the point where as an early incentive for his patreon, he streamed playing through it. He hated every moment of it, from what I recall.

He did a similar thing with FFXII. Dude has an irrational hatred of anything Matsuno has ever touched.

I'm still hoping against hope he'll do a donation incentive to play Vagrant Story some day.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Like Clockwork posted:

There's also the fact that in terms of gameplay FFTactics is mostly a just okay game, and has major issues that you may or may not be able to overlook (like not seeing the map while deploying, which isn't even an issue of "expected at the time" if my mental timeline is correct). It's very hard to go back to after playing, say, Knight of Lodis or the FFTA titles.

Solid story, mind, though even that suffers in the latter half from essentially being a gaiden to a story that existed purely in the writer's head.

both of matsuno's tactics games would be a lot better if they didn't end with you fighting some godly supernatural being and just continued with the politics. it's practically expected for jrpgs, sure, but i don't feel like that's his strong suit

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A JRPG...where you don't kill God...?

You do know what a JRPG is, right?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Mega64 posted:

A JRPG...where you don't kill God...?

You do know what a JRPG is, right?

To be fair, in FFT you only kill Jesus, who isn't roughly equivalent to God in all sects.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Looper posted:

both of matsuno's tactics games would be a lot better if they didn't end with you fighting some godly supernatural being and just continued with the politics. it's practically expected for jrpgs, sure, but i don't feel like that's his strong suit

Tactics Ogre owns, you really only get to that part in the final dungeon. FFT is much more Lucavi Ghostbusters for the entire third act and it’s pretty lame.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I figured it's been a few years since I've done classic. I got two black mages and two knights. Basically I've gotten a class three times or none this year.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon.

Edit: Since it's come up a couple times, I want to add that there's no requirement to do this in only five runs. I just did that because I didn't want to play more than I did.

There are no bad jobs, but there are some teams that don't really come together.

Thief, Beastmaster, Chemist, Red Mage, Dragoon, Samurai, Bard, Gladiator, Black Mage, Summoner

Mystic Knight, Cannoneer, White Mage, Dancer, Freelancer, Berserker, Ninja

Blue mage, Geomancer, Monk, Knight, Ranger, Time Mage

With their powers combined (plus some extras), the toxx is fulfilled :black101:

I played too many times that I didn't even need to job fair... :negative:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
On the subject of that toxx, I have to ask, I know that Fifth Job doesn't count, but is that only for said fifth job, or all jobs in those runs? Asking because while there's only one job I haven't actually played this year, three of the others were on my Fifth Job run (one of which was the Fifth while the other two were my Water and Fire jobs), so if none of those count I'm gonna need a specific team for my final run to qualify for the toxx.

Which honestly won't be too much of a problem, Blue/Time/Mystic/Beast sounds like an OK team, if maybe a little lacking in pure physical prowess.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Finally finished my first run, Monk/Berserker/Ranger/Samurai. Surprisingly this was not a no750 run, just a normal run with berserker risk that happened to roll no750 jobs. I also believe this is the first run I've ever gotten Ranger with. For this run I ran it with my patch, which includes a few changes I didn't try out previously, notably the Cursed Ring; I did a first attempt at NED at level 29 as HP+500 gave my monk enough HP to survive Almagest, but there was just too much RNG to overcome on top of that. If I remembered about the Cursed Ring at that point I might have been able to figure something out but I didn't so I grinded up a few extra levels and AP for skills. My overall final strategy with NED was:
  • Ranger (with innate !Rapidfire :getin:) and Barehanded, as well as an equipped Curse Ring to max out Chicken Knife damage, although I didn't even bother maxing it out and sat at around 121ish attack.
  • Monk with !Zeninage to support the team, as even with the buffs in my patch the damage just doesn't compare to the other 3.
  • Berserker with 3x !Rapidfire and Rune Axe to dish out insane damage.
  • Samurai with Masamune and HP+500 to survive Almagest, as I didn't actually have any better skills. Also ended up using !Zeninage for support.

I do wish I had gotten Dragoon or Mystic Knight to play with the changes I made with them but the Monk and Ranger changes were fun. It did take a long time before I actually got to have a Ranger with innate !Rapidfire so I might make it come earlier in the future. I also wish I had the time to finish up the 0.7 update, which has a pretty cool and extensive planned feature, but it was not meant to be. I'll do a second run on an Extra Spicy ROM next.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

1234567890num posted:

I played too many times that I didn't even need to job fair... :negative:

That's impressive in its own way.

Bufuman posted:

On the subject of that toxx, I have to ask, I know that Fifth Job doesn't count, but is that only for said fifth job, or all jobs in those runs? Asking because while there's only one job I haven't actually played this year, three of the others were on my Fifth Job run (one of which was the Fifth while the other two were my Water and Fire jobs), so if none of those count I'm gonna need a specific team for my final run to qualify for the toxx.

Which honestly won't be too much of a problem, Blue/Time/Mystic/Beast sounds like an OK team, if maybe a little lacking in pure physical prowess.

Fifth jobs run don't count at all. You'll have to do an extra run, but I think you'll be able to handle that particular team.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

After a long break for the FFXIV expansion my third and final run of the year is down, Chemist/Summoner/Oracle/Black Mage. First time I've had a run with Chemist, Summoner, or Oracle so that was fun. Also hilariously broken. Oracle seems neat and came in really handy for the crystals, but in the end its gimmick just wasn't needed.

I had some trouble with Omega at lower levels, so I power leveled up to mid 40s and just demolished everything in my path.

Shinryu was cake once it was blinded and berserked.

During Exdeath I threw a bunch of +20 level mixes at 3 characters with Summon magic and threw out a Golem for good measure. Then I just melted Neo's face off with Syldra spam

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Decided to inflict some pain on myself and do a regular chaos no 750 run. Berserker, Ninja, Ninja Ranger. Any strategy here for Omega or Shinryu?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Don't bother? :v:

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I mean yeah I figured but this thread can pull miracle strategies out of rear end teams sometimes.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Alternatively, grind (or cheat) your way to level 99. Then hope your !Rapidfire can kill it before it kills you.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Yeah, high-level Rapid Fires could work, maybe give your Zerk an Aegis Shield and hope most of the counters go their way.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

1234567890num posted:

Alternatively, grind (or cheat) your way to level 99. Then hope your !Rapidfire can kill it before it kills you.

If you’re doing Shinryu then only grind to 97. You want to avoid 98 for L2Old and 99 for L3Flare.

Also just skip them. :v:

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
I did a zerk/ninja/ranger triple crown earlier, you only need level 42ish for your chicken knife wielder and good rng, but if you want it certain, stop grinding at living mustard bomb levels. Shinryu can be out dps'd very easily.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Weird BIAS posted:

Decided to inflict some pain on myself and do a regular chaos no 750 run. Berserker, Ninja, Ninja Ranger. Any strategy here for Omega or Shinryu?

Shinryu should be doable in the early to mid 40s with !Image, lots of Fuma Shurikens, and a kind attack pattern, since this team can put out so much single-target damage. Omega I don't know, but I'm sure derra has a strategy for reliably killing him with !Rapid Fire.

Edit: Yeah, what ssmagus said.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Darwinism posted:

My randomizer :toxx:
Counted! Sorry it took so long, I've been awol!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Edit: The other items that are super easy to miss are the two cottages in Tycoon Castle and the Great Sword lying in the moat of Castle Bal, but neither one counts for your treasure rating.
There's a lot of weird ones that count. One of the cottages in Tycoon is counted apparently (I think that one's a barrel). But then there's the Karnak Flame Rod, the pots in Phoenix Tower, the Thief Knife, etc.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 12, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Doom Goon posted:

There's a lot of weird ones that count. One of the cottages in Tycoon is counted apparently (I think that one's a barrel). But then there's the Karnak Flame Rod, the pots in Phoenix Tower, the Thief Knife, etc.
Yes, exactly the one barrel cottage is counted (along with everything else in Tycoon).

It's quicker to list what isn't counted - the two hidden Tycoon cottages, the Great Sword in the Bal moat, the five treasures Lone Wolf steals (so not the Blitz Whip but everything else in Jachol Cave, for instance), and "items NPCs give you" as in the Ribbon in Regole for example.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Life got super in my way and I'm definitely not going to get around to playing this game for this fiesta. Sorry. :( Next year though!!!

I will however go back in the thread now and toss those 5 bux into the pot for everyone who's been doing my donation challenge. Y'all are cool and good.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Whoa, you folks have been busy. Serious shoutout to Bregor, NGDBSS, ssmagus, Orange Fluffy Sheep, 1234567890num, MagusDraco, Serene Dragon, Bufuman, Procrastine, Princey, Jose Valasquez, Doom Goon, Osci, Some Guy TT, Darwinism, and Samuel Clemens, you're the real MVPs. I especially appreciate that basically every single one of you included some description of how your fights went. VERY different stories in there, I love it!

Sadly the money from the seat cushions evaporated in favor of adult life obligations but you more than filled the 50 dollars, so they'll be going to the right place.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
So uh, maybe next time I have only white mages and/or thieves for byblos i'm gonna jobfair.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2019, Run 7, Popular: Black Mage / White Mage / Dancer / Ranger

No Omega, could probably grind out levels and Rapid-Fire him to death, but gently caress it.

You know the drill for Shin, Berserk/Blink. NED was actually a piece of work since this is a very, very fragile team even with White Mage.

Last run is going to have to be a specific team so I can qualify for the All Jobs toxx, so Blue/Time/Mystic/Beastmaster is gonna be my last one for the year.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

FreeKillB posted:

So uh, maybe next time I have only white mages and/or thieves for byblos i'm gonna jobfair.

This is a good plan and I support it wholly

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

FreeKillB posted:

I realized that with white mage you can cast Scan (or Libra) on byblos to trigger the "React Magic: {Toad, Nothing, Nothing}" and run him out of MP much faster than with just hoping for magic hammers and confuse a lot.

Just bring some elixirs, some ethers and a ton of Maiden's Kiss and it honestly was a lot less of a pain than I expected it to be.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Took much longer than it should've because the RNG hates me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Put that gif in the fanart section. That deserves to be remembered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Can you dualcast any spells the character knows, or do they need to be red?