Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'd like to play more NMS but boy is the performance garbage. I can barely even sustain 45 fps on lowest settings, with frequent dips to 40s and 30s, and my machine is within "VR Ready" pecs
GTX 1060, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB RAM, game installed on an SSD.

Ship flying controls are...interesting? but loving hell it's near impossible to hit a moving target with them.
I also don't understand why the game doesn't like me crouching in the center of my playing field. It starts yelling about me being out of bounds for no good reason.
Also after the 90 minutes of playtime it crashed for no good reason, on an Oculus Rift.

Hopefully they'll sort that out, especially the performance issues. I'd like to play more.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure that the performance is GPU bound on my machine yet somehow the GPU usage barely goes above 85%. Something fucky is going on there.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Jack Trades posted:

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure that the performance is GPU bound on my machine yet somehow the GPU usage barely goes above 85%. Something fucky is going on there.

Well on this part at least, If you're not hitting 90 asw will kick in and limit it to 45 fps, so that would take some strain off the GPU. However if it's not even staying at a consistent 45 bit it's only at 85, you might have other issues.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
I had nms crash after the hello games logo. I had to update my Nvidia driver, but before that worked I had to go into windows update and make sure a couple stuck updates finished. Now I was able to all the way to flying to another planet (then it was bedtime).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ShichiNoBushi posted:

I recently got myself a PSVR and have been enjoying it so far. I wanted to get the Trover bundle, but they weren't available at the store I got it from, so I got the Blood & Truth one instead which also included a pair of Move controllers which I was intending on getting anyway.

Blood & Truth so far has been an entertaining shooting game that also features a few fun VR motion controls such as just pointlessly playing with random toys in the environment. For example: some of the collectibles are a bunch of vapes you can actually use if you hold them up to your face and blow in the headset's mic (no mechanical effects).

One of the other games I got immediately was Star Trek: Bridge Crew Which has been fun playing solo, but I'd like to know if anyone wants to play together (cross platform play is apparently available, so PC players can join).

Does anyone have any other suggestions for PSVR games? I admit I'm a bit of a weeb and a fan of anime and anime games. I plan on getting Trover Saves the Universe eventually.

There's a separate PSVR thread, might have more luck asking there.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790293

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Could be something like the GPU internal memory bus bottlenecking. Not sure if that would show up as GPU usage.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Direct mode isn’t enabled

What the gently caress. Is it 2013?

I downloaded it last night but this sapped all immediate interest I have. I've been done playing settings janitor for VR for a few years now and am in no hurry to go back.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well VR is still in a state where every game requires you to play settings janitor. That’s not a NMS problem.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Played about 3 hours of NMS VR in multiplayer and had a great time. After the standard VR Fumbling Moment where you try to figure out how to use the interface I got in my ship and visited my friends base and exploring planets is every bit as awesome as I hoped it would be.

I visited my base I made on the flatscreen years ago because I liked the area overlooking a huge trench and man was that awesome to see in VR. I think it'd be super cool to use the desktop screens on the Rift and watch some movies on a verdant garden planet like it was a open door theatre.

There's no option for head turn direction control which is annoying, it wants you to use snap turn or smooth turning instead which I never enjoy doing. I much prefer to physically turn my body, but at least with front facing I can have my chair behind me and sit in it when I get in an exocraft or a ship. I love how you have to open the canopy to get out and how pretty the interiors are.

People on the flat get to see you move your arms etc but from what I've heard the avatars are a complete mess and also their position for the multitools are bugged to sin, but freaking out your friends by rubbing their faces is still a good laugh and blasting around the planet on an exocraft is exhilarating.

My PC is fairly beefy (8700k, 2080, 16gb RAM) so no real performance issues except some ASW on the initial load.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Ralith posted:

I've never even seen a WMR headset, and that bug causes crash on launch, not difficulty selection. Vive + knuckles here.

I was responding to someone else, no idea what's causing your issue sorry.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I just tried Tea for God on my Quest, and I highly recommend it. It uses the "Unseen Diplomacy" style of locomotion, to trick you into walking in circles through a non-euclidean complex, using only natural movement. I have a 2.5m x 2.5m play area, and I completely felt like I was exploring a huge area. It's weird how quickly your brain gets used to the impossible spaces.

I hope we will start to see full games using this style of locomotion.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 15, 2019

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Played some NMS last night and it worked well after I turned some of the graphics down. The controls for flying seem super sensitive, turned them down quite a bit but still a little difficult to get things exactly since there is no resistance on the stick. I'm on a 144hz gsync monitor so maybe that is the issue others are having?
Is the mining beam gone though? It seems like I just punch stuff to mine down which is.. weird.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ClassH posted:

Played some NMS last night and it worked well after I turned some of the graphics down. The controls for flying seem super sensitive, turned them down quite a bit but still a little difficult to get things exactly since there is no resistance on the stick. I'm on a 144hz gsync monitor so maybe that is the issue others are having?
Is the mining beam gone though? It seems like I just punch stuff to mine down which is.. weird.

You need to reach behind to your backpack with your right hand to grab the multi-tool. It’s super gimmicky (I like it).

I did end up running out of juice and forced to punch a few trees to get carbon.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

SimonChris posted:

I just tried Tea for God on my Quest, and I highly recommend it. It uses the "Unseen Diplomacy" style of locomotion, to trick you into walking in circles through a non-euclidean complex, using only natural movement. I have a 2.5m x 2.5m play area, and I completely felt like I was exploring a huge area. It's weird how quickly your brain gets used to the impossible spaces.

I hope we will start to see full games using this style of locomotion.

How much space would you say you need for it to work? I can clear some more space in the room I usually in but I'm not sure I can get to 2.5 x 2.5 anywhere in my home at the moment.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Organza Quiz posted:

How much space would you say you need for it to work? I can clear some more space in the room I usually in but I'm not sure I can get to 2.5 x 2.5 anywhere in my home at the moment.

I think 2m x 2m should work. That gives the game 4 1m2 squares to work with. Anything less than that, and you can't really walk around very well.

Anyway, it's free, so you may as well give it a shot :). If you are using Quest, it's on SideQuest.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well VR is still in a state where every game requires you to play settings janitor. That’s not a NMS problem.

nah

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont think I've played one single VR game where I didnt have to mess with some setting. Some games are closer out of the box than others, but its very much a thing for VR

E: robo recall might be the only game that I havent messed with

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is it possible to use a pad for flying in NMS and VR controllers for everything else, or do you need to switch settings back and forth every time

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I dont think I've played one single VR game where I didnt have to mess with some setting. Some games are closer out of the box than others, but its very much a thing for VR

E: robo recall might be the only game that I havent messed with

The only games I've really had to "settings janitor" are VR ports that you also have to do so in 2D (elite, dcs, bethesda games, racing games)

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I think the important question is, does NMSVR support finger tracking with Index controllers, and can you flip off your friends? I'll be testing this out myself later on but got poo poo to do today.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Verizian posted:

I think the important question is, does NMSVR support finger tracking with Index controllers, and can you flip off your friends? I'll be testing this out myself later on but got poo poo to do today.

Nope. But you can shake your fist at them, and make your arm appear at weird angles I guess?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

BMan posted:

The only games I've really had to "settings janitor" are VR ports that you also have to do so in 2D (elite, dcs, bethesda games, racing games)

Yeah, with my latest rig the only games I've had to adjust anything vr-specific for were notoriously janky ones like Fallout and Pavlov. Everything else has been just dandy out of the box. It would take me a minute to even remember how to change my supersampling settings or something like that.

I mean I was around for the era of DK1 and strapping Hydras into a fanny pack on your chest with three hours of prep for a 15 minute play session and it was what it was, but I expect new AAA poo poo to at least use interfaces that were around for the CV1 now.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well I know they do probably have some optimization to do, but I also did have an 980Ti and wanted a little extra oomph for both VR and Ultrawide gaming so hence the 2080 upgrade (which should be roughly the same performance as a 1080Ti).
Though others even with a 1080Ti have reported some performance issues as well and I am even running the Rift through SteamVR which usually has a performance penalty as well for all games that go through it to the Rift (VS using say a Vive or other SteamVR headset).

Really weird how inconstant the reports seem to be but without being able to really one on one diagnose with someone I can't say what to change to make things better right off the bat. If someone would like me to take a look and see if I can spot something that would probably be to blame, feel free to PM me. Troubleshooting PC's is sort of my thing. :/

I was as surprised as anyone how I was able to plug in my Rift, fire up Steam VR, and the game just worked right off the bat. Even the audio was just a single switch in the Audio Settings in Win10 away and it just worked. Usually I am always tinkering with something to get it to work for at least a hour or two, and by that time I am done wanting to play VR at all.

One thing I do need to get soon is a replacement Rift cable. Mine seems to have an issue somewhere where the screen will go black in short bits and if I don't wiggle it back in the right way, it will eventually conk out and I have to exit and unplug/replug to get it to work again. :(

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You need to reach behind to your backpack with your right hand to grab the multi-tool. It’s super gimmicky (I like it).

I did end up running out of juice and forced to punch a few trees to get carbon.

I know to do that but it is only the terrain manipulation tool, I couldn't see how to flip it to the mining beam.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

ClassH posted:

I know to do that but it is only the terrain manipulation tool, I couldn't see how to flip it to the mining beam.

You switch back to mining the same way, instead of a 'switch to terrain manipulator' you get a 'switch to mining laser' button on the multitool menu.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Dirt Rally 2 good or not? Steam reviews dropped to mixed. Some of that is complaints about needing to buy again on the Oculus store, but there's plenty of performance complaints.

--edit: Also, what happened to Boneworks?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 16, 2019

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

It ran fine for me but I dropped everything to potato graphics before I started. I might try some graphics optimization later but for $30 it's great as is, it still feels like dirt in vr

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

In case anyone was wondering a friend of mine reports that nms vr runs well on a quest via virtual desktop.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Jenny Agutter posted:

In case anyone was wondering a friend of mine reports that nms vr runs well on a quest via virtual desktop.

I'd try it but quest is down for all right now. Even when offline you can't view your library.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

Well it is actually on sale right now for 50% off, which is why I picked it up.

I mean, its honestly so close to being there, because there really is some good use of VR controls especially for a port, like opening your cockpit canopy to exit the ship is great, the inventory and menu all work well in vr, the virtual controls for ship flight work well (though are super touchy and i had to turn the sensitivity way down), its just... they need to do some patching.

Looks like it's on sale through the 21st

If they patch it before then I'll probably pick it up. Sounds like the direct mode and other things fix a lot of problems but there's more to do still

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

How much (physical) space do you need for NMS?

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

ItBreathes posted:

None, it's definitely been designed as a sit down experience instead of roomscale.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Harminoff posted:

I'd try it but quest is down for all right now. Even when offline you can't view your library.

FYI on reddit they suggest you can as a work around choose to launch Quest apps from your phone. Haven't tried it yet myself.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

My eyeballs are too far apart in my huge rear end head.

What is it with goons and their massive fisheyed heads? Does everyone on here look like :downs:?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ItBreathes posted:

It was designed for PSVR so probably seated/standing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

NMS works best if you have a chair behind you and switch between standing in place and sitting.
It starts complaining if you even try to crouch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is there a way to make the UI follow your perspective instead of assuming you're sitting and needing to turn?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

KillHour posted:

What is it with goons and their massive fisheyed heads? Does everyone on here look like :downs:?

I know, right?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I watched Hereditary on my Quest last night. Movie apps really need a scary movie setting. They could flash the lights or have the Babadook sit next to you or something.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

KillHour posted:

The website and app emit a special kind of radiation. I wear a lead apron to prevent this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009

KillHour posted:

No I'm just below the minimum IPD for the Vive thank you very much