Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Can confirm the sac measuring pic coming up as a result, fuckin :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Ola posted:

It's good community service to mention this quite often, since it is a very common misconception: Even though mushrooms are quite weird and nukes are quite weird, there is nothing particularly nuclear about mushroom-shaped smoke columns. It's simply a physical phenomenon of convection. I've created one with a cup of gasoline on a bonfire. It even did a good looking nuke test thing where the mushroom hat stopped ascending but started drifting sideways, trailing the stem as a gradually thinning umbilical cord. Popping open the lid of a boiling pan can produce the same effect, as can smoke signals.

TIL about Rayleigh–Taylor instability

which seems to occur everywhere, including some very big boom-booms indeed

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

Can confirm the sac measuring pic coming up as a result, fuckin :lol:

:same:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Groda posted:

I GISed "rams neck tape" and got the highest possible resolution picture of a man measuring a sheep scrotum.

gently caress you.

I mean, 448x331 isn't that high of a resolution?

:shrug:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Syd Midnight posted:

TIL about Rayleigh–Taylor instability

which seems to occur everywhere, including some very big boom-booms indeed

Kip Thorne has an anecdote on how he found out what the big secret of the Teller-Ulam hydrogen bomb design was. He was talking about some aspects of black hole formation with a Russian scientist at a conference, and speculated about radiation pressure also causing this kind of effect. This was denied by the Russian, but on further questioning he got very embarrassed and just said that "it had been proven" not to happen.
(IIRC, it's in Black Holes and Time Warps.)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Zopotantor posted:

Kip Thorne has an anecdote on how he found out what the big secret of the Teller-Ulam hydrogen bomb design was. He was talking about some aspects of black hole formation with a Russian scientist at a conference, and speculated about radiation pressure also causing this kind of effect. This was denied by the Russian, but on further questioning he got very embarrassed and just said that "it had been proven" not to happen.
(IIRC, it's in Black Holes and Time Warps.)

Guess I found my weekend reading :v:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My parents described a propane train car derailment explosion as, "looking like a mushroom cloud," when they saw it. We were about a mile away from ground zero.

I slept thru the whole thing and only woke up when the temperature of the house dropped, because it was -40 that day, the power was out due to the train derailment and explosion, the blast wave popped open a poorly latched door between the house and the garage, and our house slowly leaked heat until we realized what was going on. About that time, they were evacuating people in the neighborhood, so we went to my uncle's place on the edge of town and waited for the all-clear.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
I grew up about 100 miles north of Mount Saint Helens and that made a pretty nice mushroom cloud during an eruption. Not the big one though, a couple months later when it wasn’t overcast.

The Cold War was still going so that made it extra spooky.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

Groda posted:

I GISed "rams neck tape" and got the highest possible resolution picture of a man measuring a sheep scrotum.

gently caress you.

It's a specific brand of marine tape, thick, black, and several inches wide. Sometimes they have to heat it up when it's cold to get it to adhere properly. Hence the torches.

I wonder what other nautical terms give... unexpected GIS results? Try "tommed down" next.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Seacock

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I get this after being at sea in rough weather for a few days. Even though you're back on dry land, it feels like it's swinging back and forth.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Groda posted:

gently caress you.

Dunno what the gently caress you've been looking at recently because that's not coming up at all over here.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

“Marine head” had a ton of potential, but it wasn’t meant to be :(

Any misspelling of “sextant” is probably a solid bet. I’m sure there’s something regarding pirates and booty, too :v:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Icon Of Sin posted:

Any misspelling of “sextant” is probably a solid bet. I’m sure there’s something regarding pirates and booty, too :v:

:gooncamp:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

BrandorKP posted:

It's a specific brand of marine tape, thick, black, and several inches wide. Sometimes they have to heat it up when it's cold to get it to adhere properly. Hence the torches.

I wonder what other nautical terms give... unexpected GIS results? Try "tommed down" next.

Not nautical, but I had a teacher who was telling us about waterborne diseases, including googling giardiasis by its popular name. With safesearch off.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

azflyboy posted:

For the last few years, there's been a push to find an alternative to lead for Avgas, but since the ~20% of small airplanes that use the largest quantities of fuel absolutely require something that works identically to lead, it's a slow process.

Technically it’s mostly a solved problem. 100UL, UL102, etc are all still fighting it out. The big issues are twofold.

A: The way the FAA certifies engines, and it’s near-total unwillingness to approve anything that would require any existing engines be recertified or STCed to continue operation after a switchover. They want a 100% seamless replacement, with specific gravity, energy per mass, energy per volume, and a bunch of other variables essentially the same, which probably isn’t possible.

B: The volumes of avgas consumed globally are comparatively very low, meaning that the market push to develop production capacity for unleaded avgas is nonexistent without a legal mandate to do so. See A.

azflyboy posted:

There's actually very small batches of 145 octane fuel prouced for the Reno Air Races every year, and given the process for transporting 100LL (any trucks, pipes, etc... that touch it have to be thoroughly cleaned out before they can be used on anything else), I'm guessing it's hellishly expensive.

Mmmmmmm grape juice.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

ArcMage posted:

An air-cooled reactor would probably have enough activity to light up a region like this, and would also have failure modes with suitable consequences.

RIP :(

Yup:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/12/russia-indicates-rocket-engine-exploded-in-test-of-mini-nuclear-reactor

Also, the quotes sound like something out of cold war James Bond.

quote:

David Cullen, the director of the Nuclear Information Service in the UK, said on Monday that the view among independent experts was that the explosion appeared to have been caused by the failure of an experimental nuclear-powered cruise missile known in Russia as the 9M730 Burevestnik and by Nato as the SSC-X-9 Skyfall.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Skyfall? Seriously?

:perfect:

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

I saw the captain's dinghy

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

We had gaylords on one of my cruise ships

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Seamen on the poop deck.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

We had gaylords on one of my cruise ships

I thought they had Gaylords on all of them.

I walked into the galley once and told a Maître D’ I was there to check the Gaylord, he was super offended.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

FrozenVent posted:

I thought they had Gaylords on all of them.

I walked into the galley once and told a Maître D’ I was there to check the Gaylord, he was super offended.

I know why he was offended but my sense of humor is equal parts surreal, nihilistic, and unbelievably loving childish so I always have to suppress a giggle

it's a personality flaw

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Syd Midnight posted:

I saw the captain's dinghy

If you ask a ship captain why there’s a ship’s wheel in his pants, he’ll respond with “No idea, BUT ITS DRIVIN’ ME NUTS!”

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast
A "sounding" is when one uses a tape to measure the level of fluid in a tank with a weighted tape. You're ullage if you GIS that one.:dadjoke:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Had a seaman drop a sounding rod on a hatch bay once and it banged a hole straight through the deck plate and down the hold.

This is more of an OSHA thread story though, cause we just stuck some duct tape over the hole and sailed.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast
On older ships they'll eventually wear through the striker plate under the bottom of the tube and then possibly through the tank.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Had a seaman drop a sounding rod on a hatch bay once and it banged a hole straight through the deck plate and down the hold.

This is more of an OSHA thread story though, cause we just stuck some duct tape over the hole and sailed.

(Consults between this post and an open dictionary, muttering to himself)

Ok, so the 'hatch bay' is the anus and the 'hold' is the rectum, so....

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Lone Badger posted:

(Consults between this post and an open dictionary, muttering to himself)

Ok, so the 'hatch bay' is the anus and the 'hold' is the rectum, so....

You've got it wrong; sounding rods go into the urethra

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Okay what's the nonnaughty meaning of gaylord? Merriam Webster has nothing and gaylord + nautical on Google also gives nothing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

aphid_licker posted:

Okay what's the nonnaughty meaning of gaylord? Merriam Webster has nothing and gaylord + nautical on Google also gives nothing.

Gaylord makes kitchen exhaust hoods.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Lots of gaylords:

quote:

Businesses

Gaylord Hotels, a large convention hotel brand of Marriott International
Gaylord (automobile), a former car manufacturing company
Gaylord Container Corporation, a former U.S. paper manufacturer
Gaylord (container), a genericized term for a bulk box, with a pallet for the base, and corrugated cardboard for the walls
Gaylord Chemical Corporation, located in the New Orleans suburb of Slidell, Louisiana, USA
Gaylord Entertainment Company

Places

Gaylord, Kansas
Gaylord, Michigan
Gaylord, Minnesota
Gaylord, Oregon
Gaylord, Virginia
Gaylordsville, Connecticut
Gaylord Entertainment Center, former name of Bridgestone Arena
Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, at the University of Oklahoma

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

Platystemon posted:

Gaylord makes kitchen exhaust hoods.

And their fire extinction system, which are I assume full of fun chemicals.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

FrozenVent posted:

I would assume so, given its purpose.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

Lots of gaylords:
There was an Indian restaurant named Gaylord in a mall somewhere I used to live.

EDIT: Maybe "Gaylord's" it's been forever.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

aphid_licker posted:

Also a large pallet-sized cardboard box used for shipping bulk goods or smaller containers.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Base Emitter posted:

Also a large pallet-sized cardboard box used for shipping bulk goods or smaller containers.

That's the definition that I've heard.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

a fire extinction system sounds metal as hell

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

That's the definition that I've heard.

Those are the gaylords we had at Staples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

New Derek Lowe. Choice quote:

quote:

You’re not going be able to cram more nitro groups onto a tetrazole system that small, darn it all, that’s all there is and there ain’t no more. It’s fair to ask whether this hexanitro beast can even exist. As you read the paper the answer turns out to be “Just barely”.