Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It's ok to build German tanks.

If you put lots of Swastikas or ONLY build German tanks, maybe look at your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
building soviet armor is chill, because it's what beat the fuckin' nazis. i almost exclusively build soviet armor. i see the appeal of german armor; it's generally mean-looking, like a 40k tank, and the design of the tiger is probably the most archetypal of all tank designs. soviet armor, though, has a sort of industrious utility to it that i find incredibly charming. you can really see in their designs, they were building something not to be paraded at a rally but to function practically against an existential threat. there's something so satisfying about a t-34 with "THIS TANK PAID FOR BY THE VOLGOGRAD BAKER'S UNION" painted on the turret just obliterating a tiger

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Greybeard getting rankled at the P-51 pilots getting called the original antifa is gold. Good god.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

building soviet armor is chill, because it's what beat the fuckin' nazis. i almost exclusively build soviet armor. i see the appeal of german armor; it's generally mean-looking, like a 40k tank, and the design of the tiger is probably the most archetypal of all tank designs. soviet armor, though, has a sort of industrious utility to it that i find incredibly charming. you can really see in their designs, they were building something not to be paraded at a rally but to function practically against an existential threat. there's something so satisfying about a t-34 with "THIS TANK PAID FOR BY THE VOLGOGRAD BAKER'S UNION" painted on the turret just obliterating a tiger

Yeah, exactly. I think it's the combination of simple but effective design and the Soviet patriotic slogans that won me over. :ussr:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Jonny Nox posted:

It's ok to build German tanks.

If you put lots of Swastikas or ONLY build German tanks, maybe look at your life.

This is how I view it.
Germans tanks look as cool as any other tank, and they're all killing machines in the end even if the nazis were objectively worse than everyone else by an order of magnitude.

Also you need German kits to make the burnt out tanks in your kick-rear end KV-1 diorama.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
German kits are fun because like their subject model, they’re incredibly over complicated for absolutely no reason. soviet kits are like the shake and bake of military vehicles

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
It depends on the kit. I'm dreading the fully functional suspension of the AFV Club Churchill. IIRC it took me less than a day to put together all the major assemblies of the Dragon PzIII. Early Tamiya kits are also dead simple regardless of nation.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
God, gently caress Doog. Can't I just build toy models without the internet trying to make me feel guilty about it?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Yeah I dont think you or anyone who posts here is the target of his article. It's more along the lines of making a :thunk: face when someone keeps making ss units or something and never branches out to something else, or the wehrbs that put panzer div decals on star wars or gundam kits.

A decent chunk of the people who replied to his article or on fb tried to pull the whole "how dare you call me a nazi for building German stuff. Nazis and white supremacists arent a real threat; ANTIFA are the real fascists." Or went with some actual wherbism and tried to claim that it's natural to focus on the side that had the more advanced tech.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How dare you accuse me of having fascist sympathies?! Now let me make my fascist sympathies extremely clear in my defense of this accusation.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Gewehr 43 posted:

God, gently caress Doog. Can't I just build toy models without the internet trying to make me feel guilty about it?
Nice username/post combo.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
hey, has there been any discussion of a group build lately? i'd love to do a crapbuild with y'all.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait, it wasn't generally agreed upon that you should be suspicious of Wehraboos?

I guess being Jewish it's hard for me not to have my goyem alarm go off when I see people obsessed with nazi poo poo.

Kanine fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 15, 2019

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

WWII stuff has a lot of character, it's a shame the philosophies behind the killing machines has risen from the dead. I still think any of the genuine Nazis would take one look at the Neo-Nazis and just ship them off to a concentration camp or put them up against the wall.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Brooks posted:

WWII stuff has a lot of character

what does that even mean?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
gotta be honest, i always loved milhist/scale model building/firearms/etc.

but like, seeing people have a callous obsession with the nation that killed a good portion of my family pretty much always kept me away

i swear to loving god if anyone pulls "hurr durr commies r just as bad as nazis" bullshit here

Kanine fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 15, 2019

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Kanine posted:

what does that even mean?

There are a lot of very individualistic aircraft in WWII, especially on the American side. Think of how different they are from one another, The P-40, the Lighting, Corsair, Thunderbolt, Mustang, Hellcat and even the Aircobra. There's no cookie cutter designs.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

hey, has there been any discussion of a group build lately? i'd love to do a crapbuild with y'all.

I'm up for such a thing. I could stand to do something different.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Kanine posted:

gotta be honest, i always loved milhist/scale model building/firearms/etc.

but like, seeing people have a callous obsession with the nation that killed a good portion of my family pretty much always kept me away

i swear to loving god if anyone pulls "hurr durr commies r just as bad as nazis" bullshit here

(Re: the spoiler) I don’t think I’ve seen a single english documentary about the eastern front of ww2 which didn’t include a bit of moralizing attempting to drag the soviet union down to germany’s level. It’s very conspicuous and tiresome, in my opinion.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Frenz posted:

(Re: the spoiler) I don’t think I’ve seen a single english documentary about the eastern front of ww2 which didn’t include a bit of moralizing attempting to drag the soviet union down to germany’s level. It’s very conspicuous and tiresome, in my opinion.

soviet storm is pretty good. granted its a russian documentary with english voice overs

e: anddddddddd the youtube account with the english dub got nuked lol welp

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

soviet storm is pretty good. granted its a russian documentary with english voice overs

Yeah that’s the best one I’ve seen. There are some good lectures by war college types on youtube that stick to the facts as well.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i'm gonna have to watch that.

soviet armor group build, maybe? a tamiya t-34 or something sloppier?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I don't usually post here (stick mostly to the gunpla thread), but I'd absolutely join a group build of something Soviet.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Maybe one of the Meng Toon tanks? They are like :10bux: and simple enough to build and paint them in a weeke d or so.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Molentik posted:

Maybe one of the Meng Toon tanks? They are like :10bux: and simple enough to build and paint them in a weeke d or so.

I'm game. Maybe open it to any "egg" kit? Some of the Hasegawa egg plane kits are cool and cheap too.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I'll build an egg scale anything any day of the week, but -

Molentik posted:

Not to call bullshit on you, but even buying direct from Japan, I haven't seen these suckers for anything less than around 15-20 bucks. But if you got the hookup, absolutely let me know. I got a major need for the whole set.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

i'm gonna have to watch that.

soviet armor group build, maybe? a tamiya t-34 or something sloppier?

I'd be down .

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

Not to call bullshit on you, but even buying direct from Japan, I haven't seen these suckers for anything less than around 15-20 bucks. But if you got the hookup, absolutely let me know. I got a major need for the whole set.

Hasegawa kits on Amazon average about $10. It'd be a crap plane and less of a crap tank though.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
please do not buy things from amazon if you can avoid it

e: kitlinx has the meng kv-2 for $10.39 right now https://www.kitlinx.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=MGKWWT004&title=Soviet-Toon-Tank-Kv-2

SEX HAVER 40000 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 15, 2019

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Nah.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Pair of JS-2's for $11 at Hobbylinc.

$13 at Hobbylinc

Pair of flying BA-6's for $11

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

Cheapest I could find, €8,20, from Germany.

E; they have the Sherman for €4,90.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Yooper posted:

Pair of flying BA-6's for $11

We already did the airfix JS-2 but these things look awesome. Plus, there's 2!

edit: ehhhh, plus shipping though.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 15, 2019

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yooper posted:

Hasegawa kits on Amazon average about $10. It'd be a crap plane and less of a crap tank though.

oh ive got to get some of these for a cousin who's 11 and loves cute versions of normal stuff

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I should not have tried to freehand an exhaust stain on a 1/72 plane.

I should have just stuck to oils.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I just found a local store with a bunch of the Meng egg tanks, so I'm set for either an egg scale or a Soviet armor project.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What are the most ethical sources of fascist death machine models?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zvezda

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

What are the most ethical sources of fascist death machine models?

Scrimshawed from the bones of fascists themselves, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

If buying Zvezda, be sure to check Scalemates and make sure it was made after 2000 and it's not an Italeri rebox.