Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

omnibobb posted:

Everyone list your favorite thing about Black Cat!

Dracula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

New team for Deadpool

https://www.newsarama.com/46490-thompson-bachalo-crowned-as-new-deadpool-creative-team.html?utm_source=notification

Sll aboard for Kelly Thompson

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That might get me to subscribe to a Deadpool comics

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
kelly seems a good fit for dp

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I hope the Hawkeyes and Deadpool get to blow up New York again

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
vita ayala is doing a morbius book too

also a female venom or something?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's also a Yondu miniseries coming from Zac Thompson and John McCrea.
https://www.newsarama.com/46484-yondu-to-explore-seedy-underbelly-of-marvel-cosmic-in-new-marvel-title.html

radlum
May 13, 2013
I guess most of these comics won't last long, but I love when Marvel makes odd choices and gives these kind of characters their own series. Yondu, Scream and Morbius don't seem to be the most obvious choice, but at least it will be interesting to see these writer's takes; I'm specially interested in Vita's Morbius.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

vita ayala is doing a morbius book too

also a female venom or something?

Unfamiliar with the writer, what else have they done?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Amongst other things, Livewire for Valiant and one of the Age of X-Man minis, Prisoner X.

edit:
https://twitter.com/definitelyvita/status/1140838821958959104
How do you link to just one post on Twitter?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 14, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

How do you link to just one post on Twitter?

if it's a reply, you don't, twitter embeds always show the previous tweet in the thread

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Thanks for all the Black Cat support, everyone! I'm looking at #4 now and it should be a good time.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh no Squirrel Girl :ohdear:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
read gwenpool strikes back, it was...better than her showing in wca at least. still written like she's fuckin deadpool tho

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this is good av material imo

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That Gwenpool issue was awful, and everybody at Marvel that even thinks of writing Gwenpool needs those panels of Gwenpool talking about how she doesn't like Deadpool because she's not into meme humor shoved down their throat.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
At this point, anyone that wants to write Gwenpool should be asked the question "Are you Chris Hastings?" and if the answer is no, they should be told no thanks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Darth Nat posted:

At this point, anyone that wants to write Gwenpool should be asked the question "Are you Chris Hastings?" and if the answer is no, they should be told no thanks.

Part of writing for the big two is knowing that everything you write will be subject to retcons, misinterpretations and just people having a different idea about the character.

Think about what various people have done to Spider-Man and Wolverine over the years.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

read gwenpool strikes back, it was...better than her showing in wca at least. still written like she's fuckin deadpool tho

woof, hard disagree. At least I could focus on other characters in WCA if I didn't like Gwen, this was just a hot mess top to bottom

Darth Nat posted:

She should just join the Great Lakes Avengers like Squirrel Girl did and disappear for a while until somebody rescues her from limbo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i didnt say the book itself was better than wca, but shes not dating qq here and she has her powers back so gwens portrayal here is marginally better, tho that is an exceedingly low bar in this case

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I would say that not having Quentin Quire making out with Gwenpool automatically makes Strikes Back a better comic, but not a good one.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, wca at least had kate and america and clint to carry it, even with the relationship i refuse to acknowledge, whereas gsb is just turbo meme gwen for 24 pages

i dunno they both have good reasons for being the worst

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I like both WCA and GSB. :shrug:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It's time for gwenpool to die.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ugh, I haven't read it yet, but I bought it because Hastings endorsed it a while back on Twitter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hastings was highly impressed with some joke or other in the first issue.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
silver surfer black continues to look cool as gently caress

site fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 15, 2019

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
/\/\Anything happen with him fighting Knull? I stopped reading because I just can't even begin to care about Silver SUrfer

Again, it was enjoyable for me and I loved her series.

The memes is that Ms Marvel issue all over again, they're portrayed as something that's annoying to Gwen, intrusive thoughts that are for, some reason, getting their own speech bubbles. She's no wackier than she was in own series, has some strange developments with her powers and experiences a weird time loop.

Oh, I guess it also has her doing a fortnight dance, so whatever. Read it for yourself, while I love our Gwenpool superfans here, I think they're being overly critical.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Soonmot posted:

/\/\Anything happen with him fighting Knull? I stopped reading because I just can't even begin to care about Silver SUrfer

he's not fighting knull this issue

and i extremely disagree that any of this is true if you go back to the hastings run

quote:

they're portrayed as something that's annoying to Gwen, intrusive thoughts that are for, some reason, getting their own speech bubbles. She's no wackier than she was in own series

in gsb shesn not complaining that her constant wacky meme thoughts are the problem, just that the thought bubbles are. but she never thinks in constant memes nor is she wacky in that deadpool kinda way in hastings book, which was the point. like, shes makes jokes, but the tone of the character is completely different

site fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 15, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but it really feels like a writer self-consciously "writing young" which I never felt was an issue in the Hastings series. Leah Williams is as far as I know on the young side of Marvel writers but her Gwen felt a lot more artificial than, say, G. Willow Wilson's Kamala or Kelly Thomson's Kate Bishop, I think because the meme-y stuff felt so nonstop and contrived.

I mostly teach freshmen, on a pretty big campus, so I hear and read a lot of the language 18-19-20 year olds use to describe about themselves and others, and just walking around and eating lunch I hear even more of their language, and nobody says poo poo like "I'm like the S-rank of cringe culture." If anyone in their late teens (if I remember right, in the Hastings series there was a whole thing about Gwen deciding not to go to college right away?) is dabbing and doing fortnite dances for real, they have the dignity to not do so under the actual light of the sun where people can see. The only thing even close I can think of is when my 19-year old cousin was helping me with dinner a few months ago and asked if she should yeet some green beans into a marinade, and she immediately cracked up that she'd said that out loud.

I don't love Saladin Ahmed's runs on Ms. Marvel and Miles's book so far but one thing I liked was that when he first got those assignments he opened up a twitter thread and was really forthright about, like, how he was never a teen girl, and especially not one in 2019, and that he wanted to do his due diligence and hear from actual teenagers about culture and life and what mattered to them and stuff. By comparison it felt like Williams just soaked in a ton of twitter and said "sure, this is probably how young people talk and think all the time." Stuff like "I just puked. uwu" is just bizarre.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I disagree, but that's okay. I also had no problem with her and Quire hate dating in WCA so I'm obviously in the minority here. I just want another opinion out there because this isn't a trash tier book like Young's Deadpool or Rosenberg's Uncanny.

\/\/\/Yeah, none of that bothers me?

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 15, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i cant say i remember gwen ever

talking

this

in hastings run

since when does gwen do cringe? why is she pulling out a joke photo from nowhere like a loony toons character? if all her thoughts are now thought bubbles, why arent the other people commenting on seeing them? why was the final arc of hastings gp about her coming to terms with being a hero and not doing poo poo like unmasking people, and now shes just straight up unmasking peter in front of a crowd?

the whole thing is just baffling

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know about the jokes and language but pulling out a photo like a looney tunes character seems like something that would be part of her whole ridiculous meta powerset which is why I originally disliked the character before she was kinda of powered down in West Coast Avengers.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Soonmot posted:

I disagree, but that's okay. I also had no problem with her and Quire hate dating in WCA so I'm obviously in the minority here. I just want another opinion out there because this isn't a trash tier book like Young's Deadpool or Rosenberg's Uncanny.

\/\/\/Yeah, none of that bothers me?

Oh for sure it's not as bad as either of those books but it just felt like a big disappointment to me after being blown away by Williams in the past. FWIW I didn't especially hate how she was written in WCA, which overall was a title I liked, I just thought she was much less interesting there than in Hastings' book.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

site posted:

why arent the other people commenting on seeing them?

I still haven't read the issue yet, but why would the other people see them? You don't see other characters commenting on panel borders, even when Gwen threw people through them in Hasting's run. That stuff is invisible to anyone else.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

I don't know about the jokes and language but pulling out a photo like a looney tunes character seems like something that would be part of her whole ridiculous meta powerset which is why I originally disliked the character before she was kinda of powered down in West Coast Avengers.

Yeah and I've found it consistently weird that you assume she does things having never read the book and then dislike her based on those assumptions

IUG posted:

I still haven't read the issue yet, but why would the other people see them? You don't see other characters commenting on panel borders, even when Gwen threw people through them in Hasting's run. That stuff is invisible to anyone else.

In hastings book she can make her thought bubbles become real physical objects in the world. if Leah didn't intend to mean that I'll eat that one but I assumed that's why she pointed it out in the first place

site fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 15, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

Yeah and I've found it consistently weird that you assume she does things having never read the book and then dislike her based on those assumptions

I've seen enough panels posted to understand how her powers work and I feel that powerset doesn't work as a story element for me in a shared universe. If Gwenpool was exactly the same but an Image title I'd probabl like it. As it is I don't like a character that can literally run through panels or know everyone's identity or comic history. It doesn't work for me. I find it weird you care enough to find it weird that I don't like it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

In hastings book she can make her thought bubbles become real physical objects in the world. if Leah didn't intend to mean that I'll eat that one but I assumed that's why she pointed it out in the first place

Wait, did you think her intrusive thought bubbles were visible to the other characters? I get where your coming from, but I'm pretty sure those bubbles are just visible to her and distracting her. I also agree with Archy, that this isn't as good as Hastings, but nothing will be. It was still enjoyable to me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Soonmot posted:

Wait, did you think her intrusive thought bubbles were visible to the other characters? I get where your coming from, but I'm pretty sure those bubbles are just visible to her and distracting her. I also agree with Archy, that this isn't as good as Hastings, but nothing will be. It was still enjoyable to me.

i mean, theres that whole scene where she creates one so large it literally pushes her out of a window in hastings run. but like i said, if leah didnt intend to mean it that way , then ill eat being wrong on that. i dont know why else was she would point it out though

X-O posted:

I find it weird you care enough to find it weird that I don't like it.

wasnt it just last page that you told someone they were wrong for not liking art you liked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Imagine being this invested in Gwenpool.