Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RlZiRYlo6k

every hot 100 billboard song of the 90s, ranked by performance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Grraarrgghh posted:

I remember chain e-mails being much more ubiquitous during the 90s than they are now. I mean, I'm sure boomers see a lot more of them than I do, but as a teen I feel like there were a lot more floating around then.

You must not be on Facebook. That's where all that stuff goes now. Never changes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Randaconda posted:

Modanna.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

1988, eh, close enough.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Randaconda posted:

So many mispelled names and wrong years :wtc:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Negrostrike posted:

So many mispelled names and wrong years :wtc:

Modanna

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Kinda miss the days of Coke's corporate branding not having everything as lockstep as it is today.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Darthemed posted:

Kinda miss the days of Coke's corporate branding not having everything as lockstep as it is today.

Ahh yes. artisanal branding.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking how its weird the Cure song I hear the most is Friday I'm In Love. I guess it was their last major hit? It's just weird because like Just Like Heaven is a superior song but its just as poppy and happy as the other.

Im not gonna comment on personal taste, but Just like heaven is nowhere near as catchy or has even close to as good a hook as Friday im in love. Makes perfect sense to me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Darthemed posted:

I remember this set of cans:

(1990)

Because my parents love Pepsi :barf:

I know that an opened can of that glasses design say on top of my backyard fence for a couple years because I put it there and forgot about it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Croatoan posted:

art is anal branding

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Randaconda posted:

There is a massive heap of forgotten music in there, certainly a bunch I cant really remember. Also I forgot how much Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson dominated that time period.

Also LOL at Smooth being up at no1 there.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nutsngum posted:

Im not gonna comment on personal taste, but Just like heaven is nowhere near as catchy or has even close to as good a hook as Friday im in love. Makes perfect sense to me.

Just Like Heaven is better, don't @me

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nutsngum posted:

There is a massive heap of forgotten music in there, certainly a bunch I cant really remember. Also I forgot how much Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson dominated that time period.

Also LOL at Smooth being up at no1 there.

Right? I can remember every year of the 90s, and there's some songs I can't remember at all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

it's "let's go to bed" actually

or "a forest"

Fascination Street or Lullaby.

Friday I'm in Love does have the great line "Its such a wonderful sight to see you eat in the middle of the night".

I'm glad I lived in a market that was big enough to have a good alt rock station that would play a variety of stuff, not just modern alt right, so you'd get the Smiths or Depeche Mode mixed in with your Spacehogs and Soundgardens.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
KROQ in L.A. used to have a flashback lunch hour and it was absolutely amazing to go from Lit, Soundgarden and No Doubt to Morrissey, The Cure and other 80s oddities.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Pastry of the Year posted:

Music chat reminds me of a very 90s phenomenon: getting exposed to new bands and genres from a cut-down video clip on Beavis and Butt-head that Viacom absolutely would never have aired in any other context. The list of music aired on that show is pretty eclectic.

Oh gently caress yeah. I got exposed to some pretty good music on there that I never would have known about had I not watched B&B.
Never heard of Fishbone, L7 or Das Efx for example...... I'd heard of GWAR, who were supposed to be "awesome" but never heard their music. Saw them on Jerry Springer show later....

And of course videos from bands I liked including, but not limited to Black Sabbath, Metallica, Beastie Boys and so on.

"Hey butthead, Ozzy bit the head off a cow once".

"Yeah, that was cool, milk poured out of its neck".

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Pastry of the Year posted:

1988, eh, close enough.

BMG > Columbia House. Sure, you only got like 8 CD's instead of 12, but you only had to buy one, not 4 or 6 or whatever. Columbia House DVD club, now that was the poo poo. I got so many loving DVDs from them in the early '00s, they did the same 8 for 1 type deals, sometimes even better. I remember whole forums devoted to getting the best deals from their DVD clubs.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

wesleywillis posted:

I'd heard of GWAR, who were supposed to be "awesome" but never heard their music. Saw them on Jerry Springer show later....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzKaCpFlnI4

I remember watching this when it aired.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

wesleywillis posted:

Oh gently caress yeah. I got exposed to some pretty good music on there that I never would have known about had I not watched B&B.
Never heard of Fishbone, L7 or Das Efx for example...... I'd heard of GWAR, who were supposed to be "awesome" but never heard their music. Saw them on Jerry Springer show later....

And of course videos from bands I liked including, but not limited to Black Sabbath, Metallica, Beastie Boys and so on.

"Hey butthead, Ozzy bit the head off a cow once".

"Yeah, that was cool, milk poured out of its neck".

I would have never know Whale's Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe would have existed without Beavis and Butthead. Hell, I wouldn't have ever known Whale existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2up7su7CeMU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

uli2000 posted:

BMG > Columbia House. Sure, you only got like 8 CD's instead of 12, but you only had to buy one, not 4 or 6 or whatever. Columbia House DVD club, now that was the poo poo. I got so many loving DVDs from them in the early '00s, they did the same 8 for 1 type deals, sometimes even better. I remember whole forums devoted to getting the best deals from their DVD clubs.

Hell yeah. I did that for the majority of my DVD collection and my Mom kept up with it until like 2015 or something. None of those clubs were bad deals, you just had to be buying in bulk to get your per-Tape/CD/DVD cost down. Too bad they were products of the music labels and the musicians got nothing from their "sales"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Fire! Fire!
Still love how Beavis says that.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Fire! Fire!
Still love how Beavis says that.

I liked when Mike Judge was on I think Letterman and Letterman said "haha it's funny when Beavis says fire" and Judge just muttered annoyedly under his breath "yeah well not anymore he doesn't"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The best part of that was after they told him to stop having Beavis do that he'd say things that would lead to "fire" but then get distracted at the last moment. That or he'd say things that rhymed with fire the same way.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

twistedmentat posted:

Fascination Street or Lullaby.

Friday I'm in Love does have the great line "Its such a wonderful sight to see you eat in the middle of the night".

I'm glad I lived in a market that was big enough to have a good alt rock station that would play a variety of stuff, not just modern alt right, so you'd get the Smiths or Depeche Mode mixed in with your Spacehogs and Soundgardens.

Well that paints a very different picture

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

garfield hentai posted:

I liked when Mike Judge was on I think Letterman and Letterman said "haha it's funny when Beavis says fire" and Judge just muttered annoyedly under his breath "yeah well not anymore he doesn't"

Letterman was a huge fan of Bevis and Butt-head. He's one of their dads! Man Beavis and Butt-head Do America is a great movie. I was listening to the Talking Simpsons Patreon episode about it and every time Mr Anderson is talking, its just Hank Hill.

I can't remember it it came out before or after the Sabotage video because its Intro is basically the same thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzBuWOZGcuc

I completely forgot that there were two Beavis and Butt-head albums, one being the movie soundtrack, and then there was the Experience Album. Which had this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZbf-uwEBuo

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Mike Judge said in the commentary for the movie that Mr. Anderson had a propane-powered camper in the first draft, but they changed it to butane so people wouldn't confuse him with a new character they were working on.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Exact same character

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Bobby Digital has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Aug 16, 2019

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Randaconda posted:

Just Like Heaven is better, don't @me

A fight in which everybody wins.

Randaconda posted:

Right? I can remember every year of the 90s, and there's some songs I can't remember at all.

Every decade seems to be like this though. If you go and watch Todd in the shadow's worst songs of XXXX year they are inevitably half full of wretched songs that no one has remembered since they first charted.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
That's the exact reason why when anyone says that modern music sucks and there hasn't been any good music since the sixties or whatever, I think they're full of poo poo. There's always been plenty of poo poo music out there, it's just that we only remember the good stuff.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

That's the exact reason why when anyone says that modern music sucks and there hasn't been any good music since the sixties or whatever, I think they're full of poo poo. There's always been plenty of poo poo music out there, it's just that we only remember the good stuff.

Take a look at the historic Billboard Hot 100. Most of the time it's filled with generic pop garbage and only occasionally does a good song that we still listen to today show up anywhere near the top ten.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

60s gets brought up because of both the self importance of Boomers and anyone catering to them. But even in the 90s when i was a kid people would say "music sucks these days, no one writes their own music! It's all about money!"

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Mainstream music has been catering to/driven by a younger and younger age demo, and there is also the movie problem where there really isn't much of a commercial path left for minor hits, so industry (such as it is) now mostly aims for the Star Wars of songs/bands.

But in general yeah as 1000 Brown M and Ms said survivorship bias is a lot of what drives the "music sucks compared to the past" perception, there is a ton of great music these days just most of it isn't a hit in the billboard sense (though a chunk of the catchy stuff makes it to commercials and soundtracks etc.)

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

In case anyone was wondering what got to number one in the UK:

Part one
Part two

Thoughts:

*Chaka Demus and Pliers don't get enough credit for knocking Mr Blobby off number one (I hated Mr Blobby and all the child-shaped demons I went to school with thought that was funny, and now those same demons are probably on Facebook saying "Remember Mr Blobby? Who thought that was a good idea?")
*Whigfield gives me terrible inexplicable nineties feelings. So do Baby D and Olive, but not as much as Whigfield.
*Younger GoT fans might be amused to learn what Jerome Flynn was doing back in 1995. As far as I remember, Robson and Jerome's version of "Unchained Melody" is the reason Wonderwall didn't get to number one in the UK.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015
Back in about '93, I went on a school trip from the 'burbs to Phoenix for a academic decathlon competition at a private school near downtown. There was a mall across the street and when we had some free time at lunch, our teacher let us go across to the mall for lunch and wandering around. I remember an advertising campaign I don't think I'll ever forget. It had a bid window poster with Bennito Mussollini sitting in a outdoor chair in I guess what would be casual for a fascist dictator with the tag line underneath 'Mussolini wore Khakis'. There were other historical figures, I remember JFK being one of them, but could you imagine that today? I was reading something about failed retail chains last night and it finally triggered what the store was called. Oaktree. We didn't have one in our mall, I think it was kinda trying to be a upscale preppy type store.

Don't think there'd be an ad agency today with the balls to try something like that again.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Nutsngum posted:

Every decade seems to be like this though. If you go and watch Todd in the shadow's worst songs of XXXX year they are inevitably half full of wretched songs that no one has remembered since they first charted.

I just got turned onto Todd in the Shadows a couple of weeks ago by fellow goon Woodch. I haven't started the worst songs lists, but his one hit wonder episodes are great. Looking forward to diving in the rest.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I keep meaning to start a pyf one hit wonder thread based on those vids. Also trainwrecks is a great series.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

twistedmentat posted:

I keep meaning to start a pyf one hit wonder thread based on those vids. Also trainwrecks is a great series.

I've only listened to the Van Halen 3 episode of that one so far. Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WescottF1 posted:

I just got turned onto Todd in the Shadows a couple of weeks ago by fellow goon Woodch. I haven't started the worst songs lists, but his one hit wonder episodes are great. Looking forward to diving in the rest.

The worst year he did is 1976, since there was so much great poo poo that came out year, the bad poo poo looks even worse.