Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

RBA Starblade posted:

Meanwhile you start the game getting owned by a rando with a knife

Jeralt ends his game getting owned by a rando with a knife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Speaking of Seteth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr-aIARiea4

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Like father like daughter lol

Caidin posted:

Yeah that was weird too, because Byleth could very clearly deflect the blow no problem, and later did.

Also does anyone other then Hannemen even bring the Ashan Demon thing up?

Jeralt's elite mercenary force is outranked by all the others too lol

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
All the rumours are clearly very exaggerated.

This is a problem with a lot of games though, when your character is supposed to be some really tough fighter but they have to start off at the same level as everyone else for balance reasons, so their reputation comes off as undeserved.

Byleth bodyblocking for Edelgard just feels like they couldn't think of a better way to write Divine Pulse into the story...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

It does have some nice stats for an E rank one, tho

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I thought it was less shaming and more that Byleth has a very dreamy piercing gaze.

Yeah I saw it as Dorothea reading too much, at least in the B & C ranks, into Byleth's resting : | face rather than Byleth actively shaming her for 2.5 supports and apparently all the time elsewhere.

Like it's a plot point that Byleth is just blank faced 99% of the time. We even learn about his heartbeat problems in Dorothea's B support!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Chocolate Bunny posted:

This is a problem with a lot of games though, when your character is supposed to be some really tough fighter but they have to start off at the same level as everyone else for balance reasons, so their reputation comes off as undeserved.

Byleth bodyblocking for Edelgard just feels like they couldn't think of a better way to write Divine Pulse into the story...

On the plus side they did a good job with the Knights because they are suitably powerful when you recruit them, like Catherine and etc.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Yeah, Dorothea's canonically kinda paranoid that people would judge her badly from her supports.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

RBA Starblade posted:

Like father like daughter lol

Kinda but like I love the stat bonuses they have? +15 avoid and +10 crit are pretty rocking, and the only battalion I found that was nearly as good was a rank and didn't have a damaging gambit so not really an upgrade?

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Chocolate Bunny posted:

I don't think Byleth is supposed to be especially tough and that's why a lot of people are weirded out by the idea of them becoming a teacher and it comes up in multiple support convos. After the mock battles Byleth does get praised for tactical thinking.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
just finished my first playthrough. how on Earth am I supposed to fight against my prized pupil and wife, the one and true emperor of all of Fodlan

piss

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Eimi posted:

Kinda but like I love the stat bonuses they have? +15 avoid and +10 crit are pretty rocking, and the only battalion I found that was nearly as good was a rank and didn't have a damaging gambit so not really an upgrade?

B rank Goneril Valkyries (Hilda Clones?) at B rank, IIRC. On that note, I do wonder how well characters align with their corresponding batallions...

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
'The Ashen Demon' is a pretty scary nickname if they're not supposed to have a reputation as a strong mercenary. Though it rarely ever gets mentioned. I figured people were weirded out by them being a teacher because they're young (based on the timeline they're only 20) and have no teaching experience at all.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

OddObserver posted:

B rank Goneril Valkyries (Hilda Clones?) at B rank, IIRC. On that note, I do wonder how well characters align with their corresponding batallions...

Hilda has a poor authority growth which really makes it a shame

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I thought that one of the Hero's Relic staffs was lying about what its effect was, but it turns out that Hubert just straight up doesn't have a crest? I had figured that all of the nobles did, but I guess not. The damage is still worth it pretty often to get the extra range, though.

e: also don't like that it seems impossible, or at least well-hidden to check for that in-battle.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Hilda has a poor authority growth which really makes it a shame

Given how easily she gets people to do stuff for her that seems odd but I guess she is too lazy for active leadership too...

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
You can see if a character has a crest by opening up the character sheet and you can open it up by pressing X when on the tile the character is on. The crest is shown in a small circle next to the character's portrait.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

not a bot posted:

You can see if a character has a crest by opening up the character sheet and you can open it up by pressing X when on the tile the character is on. The crest is shown in a small circle next to the character's portrait.

And I'm sure all the nobles have crests?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Red Minjo posted:

I thought that one of the Hero's Relic staffs was lying about what its effect was, but it turns out that Hubert just straight up doesn't have a crest? I had figured that all of the nobles did, but I guess not. The damage is still worth it pretty often to get the extra range, though.

e: also don't like that it seems impossible, or at least well-hidden to check for that in-battle.

You can see them on the left side of the stat screen in battle, but you can’t get more info about anything on the left side of the battle stat screen because ???what is ui design??? I guess.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

not a bot posted:

Ah, the problem was that I didn't bother to check it against anyone else. There's no "no crest" icon.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Taear posted:

And I'm sure all the nobles have crests?

Some don't. Like Hubert.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Caspar doesn't have one either.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

OddObserver posted:

I'm assuming that's a Hilda paralogue reward? I have of course only gone routes that don't let me get her. :v:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQVOuN9UT1Q

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

hopeandjoy posted:

You can see them on the left side of the stat screen in battle, but you can’t get more info about anything on the left side of the battle stat screen because ???what is ui design??? I guess.

Press X and then move the control stick to the left

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Caidin posted:

Given how easily she gets people to do stuff for her that seems odd but I guess she is too lazy for active leadership too...

She also insists on being a delicate flower who would prefer to stay off the battlefield, but her aptitudes make her the perfect frontline heavy armor axe motherfucker.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I feel like if I could redesign bits of the game I'd go into the UI and make it so you can see what level the Batallion you've currently got on is as well as your Authority level when you're putting one on more easily.
I just can't tell - I might be using an E at max rank that's currently better than a level 1 C but that C would be great if I equipped it and levelled it up, it needs to make it clearer.

I'd also make it so you can equip things from the convoy and use items. Click on it, click equip/use, list of characters comes up. Why make me click AGAIN to the character to use it?

A similar thing when I'm buying an item for a character with a full inventory, let me swap stuff and don't send it to the convoy god dammit.

Perhaps something as well to say "This character has weapons that are below half durability". As long as it let you turn the warning off for stuff too because I've got brave bows and etc that are forever really low so I wouldn't want to be notified about those all the time.

Plus make it clearer what Crest people have when you're handing them a relic. Make it highlight green on the characters who it fits with. Because hosed if I can be bothered finding that information.

So many relatively small things to just make it easier to do stuff.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

She also insists on being a delicate flower who would prefer to stay off the battlefield, but her aptitudes make her the perfect frontline heavy armor axe motherfucker.

We talking about Hilda here?

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Yes, she's very delicate. Just ignore the pile of bandit corpses surrounding her.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
HIL-DA HIL-DA HIL-DA

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
It's a goddamned shame that Hilda can't become a War Master, because she would definitely be a good pick for it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CeallaSo posted:

It's a goddamned shame that Hilda can't become a War Master, because she would definitely be a good pick for it.

A further reminder that all gender locked classes are bollocks.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Arkeus posted:

HIL-DA HIL-DA HIL-DA
Hilda's one of the characters I'm interested in seeing what the deal is about, because I couldn't interact with her at all on my route and she seemed extremely obnoxious, but people seem to really like her

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay so Cyril always seems to come in below average level and under statted, but he's the Aptitude bumpkin so that's fine except no because his base growths are garbage so Aptitude only bumps him up to growths that are about as good as anyone else who wants to be an archer. And that means he doesn't meanfully have a personal skill and no crest so he's kinda having to fight up hill to be average, and none of his supports seem to be very entertaining.

What's the draw on this guy?

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
You get to roll the dice and maybe you end up with something good.

Also the game seems to want to push him into bow classes but nah, make him ride a wyvern instead.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Your Computer posted:

Hilda's one of the characters I'm interested in seeing what the deal is about, because I couldn't interact with her at all on my route and she seemed extremely obnoxious, but people seem to really like her

In Pathologic the graveyard's caption, regardless of how people consider you, is "you're always welcome here"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Your Computer posted:

I was super glad to kill her in my BE run

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I love Dorothea just for her interactions with Ferdinand where she just shits all over him constantly.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

ChrisBTY posted:

As it turns out Sylvain and Dorothea are actually super similar in regards to feeling that everybody wants to be with them for superficial reasons. They're getting married this playthough.
Dorothea/Sylvain is a cute ship and I enjoy their hidden similarities

Also, my read on Sylvain is that he plays up his "womanizing rear end in a top hat" tendencies because he wants someone (like, say, Dorothea) who'll actually call him out on his poo poo. If a girl's willing to ignore it, then his brain goes "oh, she doesn't actually like me, she's tolerating me because I'm her gravy boat, gently caress this"

It's not exactly a healthy attitude in regards to relationships, but it makes him an interesting character.

Your Computer posted:

speaking of Dorothea I appreciate how the game never really tries to shame her

in particular I think Caspar's C(?) support was very sweet and a refreshing take on the trope
That was such a good support convo :allears:
Caspar is a good boy and I'm glad I have an excuse to recruit him this time (mercedes paralogue and I need a new punch boy)

Caidin posted:

Yeah that was weird too, because Byleth could very clearly deflect the blow no problem, and later did.

Also does anyone other then Hannemen even bring the Ashan Demon thing up?
No, but apparently, if Byleth is the one who attacks Claude during the mock battle, you clearly freak him out a little. He cracks a joke and Byleth doesn't even react, just comes at him swinging.

Mulderman posted:

Speaking of Seteth:
video link
god, that's loving perfect, I love it.

indigi posted:

just finished my first playthrough. how on Earth am I supposed to fight against my prized pupil and wife, the one and true emperor of all of Fodlan

piss
with tears in your eyes, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mulderman posted:

I didn't like Ashe. But then his first support had a lot of fun interaction, also got Anna involved in the fun and it ends with him chasing a robber.
He's a good kid. So I got him to shoot at his daddy.

Can anyone say they truly played this game if they don't make Ashe kill his dad?