Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Chocolate Bunny posted:

You get to roll the dice and maybe you end up with something good.

Also the game seems to want to push him into bow classes but nah, make him ride a wyvern instead.

This is what I did.

Also I just finished the chapter last night where after taking that heavy fort, it gets struck by ICBMs and I am here for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Can anyone say they truly played this game if they don't make Ashe kill his dad?

hey now

I made him fight his dad for all of 4 damage, it was dimitri that did the killing! His hands are clean! Except for the militia

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the one thing I really really hate about this game is how they just let Byleth's expression stay as this half-lidded dead-eyed gaze most of the time. Why not animate a few decent expressions other than half-asleep and creepy. out of all the things they seem to have taken from Persona 5 that was one thing I had hoped would change

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Hilda's one of the characters I'm interested in seeing what the deal is about, because I couldn't interact with her at all on my route and she seemed extremely obnoxious, but people seem to really like her

Hilda is another one of the "actually has a heart of gold" characters. She's lazy but also really cares about other people and in all her supports she's just a really good friend to everyone. And really her laziness only really applies to training and classwork. She does a lot to help her friends outside of that.

Also her support with Annette is delightful. She's the only one who's able to get Annette to chill out and relax for a bit by asking her to take a nap together and Annette just conks out immediately.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blaziken386 posted:

Also, my read on Sylvain is that he plays up his "womanizing rear end in a top hat" tendencies because he wants someone (like, say, Dorothea) who'll actually call him out on his poo poo. If a girl's willing to ignore it, then his brain goes "oh, she doesn't actually like me, she's tolerating me because I'm her gravy boat, gently caress this"

It's not exactly a healthy attitude in regards to relationships, but it makes him an interesting character.
yeah, that's definitely part of it

I've mentioned it several times but one of my favorites is with Mercedes, who right off the bat flexes her powerful mom energy* and then the whole support chain turns into one long therapy session ending with him opening up and crying :unsmith:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

the one thing I really really hate about this game is how they just let Byleth's expression stay as this half-lidded dead-eyed gaze most of the time. Why not animate a few decent expressions other than half-asleep and creepy. out of all the things they seem to have taken from Persona 5 that was one thing I had hoped would change

I like female Byleth's not-a-single-thought-present stare

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DLC Inc posted:

At least Byleth is supposed to be a weird emotionless robot

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

There are definitely times when Byleth's expression changes, though they're few and far between. They get more common later in the game. It's not that they didn't make other expressions, they just use them very rarely.

At least on Golden Deer he has a good amount of moments where he looks surprised or worried. Also one of the reasons I love male Byleth's S support with Annette because it's one of the rare times he visibly reacts to something.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Isn't the point of Byleth that (s)he's some weirdo raised on the battlefield while also (pre timeskip spoilers) being a zombie experiment with a rejuvenating God inside of them that even the experimenters don't really understand?. Which is why they warm up later into most routes?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Harrow posted:

Hilda is another one of the "actually has a heart of gold" characters. She's lazy but also really cares about other people and in all her supports she's just a really good friend to everyone. And really her laziness only really applies to training and classwork. She does a lot to help her friends outside of that.

Also her support with Annette is delightful. She's the only one who's able to get Annette to chill out and relax for a bit by asking her to take a nap together and Annette just conks out immediately.

Yea, Hilda's supports start off funny and end up meaningful, it's not even a turnaround/growth like Sylvain and Ferdinand, it's just a full on "Oh I misjudged this person".
She's my favourite I think.

Gonna be genuinely sad to stop playing when I finish my GE run but I'll have seen all four paths then.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I think I remember all of two times Byleth's dialog gets an exclamation point.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zore posted:

At least Byleth is supposed to be a weird emotionless robot

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Moriatti posted:

Isn't the point of Byleth that (s)he's some weirdo raised on the battlefield while also (pre timeskip spoilers) being a zombie experiment with a rejuvenating God inside of them that even the experimenters don't really understand?. Which is why they warm up later into most routes?
yeah, that's the point. The rest of the cast point out or joke about Byleth's vacant stare several times, it's very intentional (and also what makes the scene with dad so powerful :smith:)
my favorite one is this, from quite early in the game:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Scrap Dragon posted:

Press X and then move the control stick to the left

I swear to god I tried this before in my 68 hours playing this loving game and it didn’t work.

(Why do battles even need a different stat screen than the roster one? They have all the same info except for the fluff screen at the end.)

Harrow posted:

There are definitely times when Byleth's expression changes, though they're few and far between. They get more common later in the game. It's not that they didn't make other expressions, they just use them very rarely.

At least on Golden Deer he has a good amount of moments where he looks surprised or worried. Also one of the reasons I love male Byleth's S support with Annette because it's one of the rare times he visibly reacts to something.

In Blue Lions, my Byleth spent half the post timeskip era looking sadly upon her rabid son.

They have other expressions, they just come later in the game, which is actually kinda nice.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 15, 2019

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This Blue Lions mission is loving bullshit and I want to slit Count Rodrigue's mother loving throat. LET ME JUST JOIN YOU ON THIS MAP AND RUN STRAIGHT AT THE BOSS AND HIS LACKEYS. ALSO IF I DIE, YOU FAIL THE MISSION.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
"Ally" units in this game are loving bullshit and obnoxious and have literally never been a help to me and I wish I could just never have an ally unit show up again.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

(Why do battles even need a different stat screen than the roster one? They have all the same info except for the fluff screen at the end.)

Oh, but they don't. Out-of-battle screens don't show your AS (or Atk/Pet/Rsl but those don't have math that one needs to google), and most don't show your class mastery level.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I used to hate sylvain but his supports with Ingrid where she casually brushes his poo poo aaide because they're best friends are very good.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
In the Alois/Shamir prologue Alois is a green ally unit but you can control him and my god it is so much better when you can make the ally units do what you want them to do.

Rodrigue is the worst he kept stealing my exp in Felix's paralogue and forced me to restart the BL chapter where he shows up cause from the route I had taken I couldn't get someone to kill the boss in time. Even though his death was kind of bullshit I didn't feel that bad because he annoyed me earlier.

Chocolate Bunny fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 15, 2019

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
What, you don't like missions where you have to keep four suicidal toddlers with 20 health each alive against an army of monsters?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
objectives other than killing the enemies is good

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sometimes the secret to keeping mobile allies out of trouble is to go faster.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Chocolate Bunny posted:

In the Alois/Shamir prologue Alois is a green ally unit but you can control him and my god it is so much better when you can make the ally units do what you want them to do.

Rodrigue is the worst he kept stealing my exp in Felix's paralogue and forced me to restart the BL chapter where he shows up cause from the route I had taken I couldn't get someone to kill the boss in time. Even though his death was kind of bullshit I didn't feel that bad because he annoyed me earlier.
In one paralogue Cyril is an ally, but he was a massively underleveled child with no gear to speak of aside from an iron axe

thankfully, you can control him and tell him to park his rear end in the loving bushes

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Chocolate Bunny posted:

That's because it's a Paralogue. Any character who has a paralogue but you don't have recruited acts like that.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

objectives other than killing the enemies is good

The defense chapters are fine, the chests are fine, any levle with a lever is fine (if long in the tooth)

when they are the dumbest kittens that you must heard against their will it bad. That stupid Raphael/Ignatz paralogue was just The Worst even if I got the max reward on it. why is that bridge a single tile and why must you block their way!!!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Come to think of it maps with secondary side objectives really dropped off after the timeskip for Golden Deer

At most from chapter 16 onward the game would aggressively signal you’d be in for reinforcement hell if you didn’t hurry the gently caress up and take out the enemy bosses

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Finished Golden Deer on Hard! Although I recruited everyone and did all the paralogues, I mostly played with 15 units. Their ending slides and my thoughts on them as units are below.

Gremory Flayn was a solid utility unit, although she didn't see that much use because I had so many strong mages. I built up her sword rank some so she could get into Mortal Savant purely for the Strength boost, which ended up being a difference of 2 AS at endgame. It wasn't really worthwhile; I should have just had her spend some time in Pegasus Knight for Darting Blow instead.

I had Dorothea alternating between Gremory and Mortal Savant, while Felix was my full-time assassin. I overestimated how useful Locktouch would be; even though it saved me a few thousand gold on chest keys, the chests in the final few maps are so far apart that it's a giant pain to rely on only a 6-move foot unit to reach them all. Just buy some chest keys and give them to your fliers, people.

A special shout out for Verdant Wind's final chapter, which has three chests containing the only magic lance, a Secret Book, and a Giant Shell, each on different sides of the map and separated from the starting area by a horde of scary enemies. Those sure came in handy when everyone was already dead except the final boss.

Bishop Linhardt was great for Warp utility and big heals. I gave him the March Ring more or less permanently so he could keep up. Gremory Lysithea was a monster, of course. I got her Vantage, and while it didn't usually come up, it allowed her to eat something like twenty enemies in her paralogue (which is a rout map) in about three turns.

I didn't go for real Warp skips, but I did use my four Warps to send pairs to opposite corners of the map to clear enemies and pick up chests much, much faster.

Ignatz was my Dancer. He did fine at the job, reliably dodge tanking on enemy phase. On a new playthrough, I'd probably try to make someone with a strength in Riding my Dancer just for fast access to Movement +1. He never used a single spell, and he only attacked on player phase about three times after becoming my Dancer.

I wasn't expecting much from Raphael, knowing that he has a terrible speed growth. But he went ham in the last six maps or so. When he reached War Master, suddenly he had a massive crit rate and so much strength that he could reliably one-round the Demonic Beasts in the last three chapters, and he was one-shotting mages with his Short Axe. He mastered War Master just before Chapter 21, and because he had Quick Riposte, he was able to solo two of the 10 Elites on a single enemy phase. He was a badass and earned MVP on the last map.

Lorenz and Marianne were fantastic all around. I made Lorenz a mage the whole way through, going Mage–Dark Mage–Dark Bishop–Dark Knight. He held the Staff of Caduceus (+1 magic range) and eventually got Black Magic Range +1; this combination made him very helpful, a sort of mini-Lysithea with Canto. I took advantage of Canto by giving him the Blessing battalion, which came in handy in the palace at Enbarr.

Marianne went through Mage and then Bishop. I had designs on making her a Holy Knight, and then I realized that (a) Holy Knight has bad skills and (b)even Dark Knight didn't really cater to Marianne's strengths—she has a relatively weak spell list, and the +range staves were already spoken for. So I changed course and made her a Mortal Savant abusing the Levin Sword+ and her personal sword. This worked really well! Her speed is a little low, so I wish I had gotten Darting Blow on her to patch that up.

Hilda and Cyril were the first two of my four fliers. They both went Wyvern Lord, with Hilda focusing on Axes while Cyril built his Bow rank. Cyril got to A+ bows in spite of the fact that he was almost never in a class with Bow proficiency, although I realize in retrospect that I could have done some things more efficiently with the way I was building him. The Hit +20/Death Blow combo is lethal, and I think just about every physical unit wants it. Point-Blank Volley comes stupidly early for a brave-effect combat art.

I initially messed around with putting Hilda in Cavalier and then Armored Knight before settling on making her a wyvern. Early Cavalier was nice so that I could have a Canto Stride user ASAP, but I'd probably plan things differently next time.

Claude and Petra were nuts. Claude might contend for best lord in the franchise; a flying bow lord with Close Counter was everything I dreamed it would be. He got my boots.

I regret making him go through the Lord and Mercenary classes and then just waiting around for him to get his unique class; I would have done better going for Archer–Brigand and then getting him an early wyvern.

I did a Vantage/100% Crit gimmick with Petra; she went Mercenary–Pegasus Knight—Archer—Wyvern Rider—Warrior—Wyvern Lord—Falcon Knight, picking up Vantage, Hit +20, Wrath, and Defiant Crit with the (considerable) help of one of the Knowledge Gems. I went to Falcon Knight because Lances have better accuracy and a legendary 1-2 range weapon. She was extremely fun to use, but of course she took considerable setup on each map: I had to use the Devil Axe to get below 25% HP, then switch to a ranged lance. Enemy Battalions had to get sniped (a task that Claude carried out easily), and I had to steer clear of archers, snipers, bow knights, and siege magic. But it was pretty funny to just stick Petra somewhere and watch her critical cut-ins over and over again.

Claude is actually much better for this, if you want to do something similar. He has strengths in swords, axes, and flying, just like Petra, but he also gets a strength in Authority, and he doesn't need Wrath because he can use Close Counter in conjunction with the Killer Bow (+25/+35 crit) and Failnaught (1-3 range, +20 crit). The Failnaught lets him handle archers, snipers, and random Mire mages.

Byleth is extremely strong, and so is Leonie, especially when she has 1-4 range and gets +5 STR/+2 DEF/+2 RES from being adjacent to him.

Byleth went Mercenary–Priest–Bishop before spending most of the rest of the game in his personal class. Vantage/White Magic Avoid +20 shenanigans were pretty fun, though I transitioned to full-time sword use by endgame after screwing around with Mortal Savant for a while. (I also dipped into Dark Bishop very late just for the hell of it. 4 movement at that point in the game was awful.) Leonie went Archer–Cavalier–Paladin–Bow Knight. She got a little less combat than she otherwise would have because she was my permanent Stride user. She missed her Strength growths for her last eight levels or so, so I sent a few Energy Drops her way.

A lot of my units got to S rank in their weapon skills, but no one quite reached S+. I think I undervalued Seminars in Part 2, since Explore seemed so strong in Part 1. For sword users in particular, I overlooked their fantastic crit weapons until very late in the game, and I was too shy about using my Levin Swords early because I didn't realize it would be easy to get more later on.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 15, 2019

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Chocolate Bunny posted:

You get to roll the dice and maybe you end up with something good.

Also the game seems to want to push him into bow classes but nah, make him ride a wyvern instead.

Funnily enough, his post-timeskip outfit has a notable quiver but the outfit actually only shows up on Wyvern Rider.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It's kinda dumb you can't just opt to have their badass out-of-combat uniforms apply in battle regardless of actual class.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019

Supremezero posted:

That's because it's a Paralogue. Any character who has a paralogue but you don't have recruited acts like that.

I know, but I'm pretty sure you can't even recruit Alois before you do that one. In the others you can usually recruit the person before that paralogue.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Chocolate Bunny posted:

I know, but I'm pretty sure you can't even recruit Alois before you do that one. In the others you can usually recruit the person before that paralogue.

You can definitely recruit Alois before you do it (I did), but I think you get access to the paralogue well before he becomes recruitable.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Zoran posted:

You can definitely recruit Alois before you do it (I did), but I think you get access to the paralogue well before he becomes recruitable.
you know what's my favorite part of that paralogue?
if you bring Claude along, he's like "okay, those definitely aren't almyrans. ..but, uh, don't ask me how I know."

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I'm getting annoyed that all the characters I recruit are level 20 and have only 2 skills higher than rank E. I should have invested more in gifts and tea times.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Do weapon skills affect hit rate at all? And, on a similar note, do the flying/riding skills do anything other than let you gain access to certain classes?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

mancalamania posted:

Do weapon skills affect hit rate at all? And, on a similar note, do the flying/riding skills do anything other than let you gain access to certain classes?

Higher weapon skill levels mean higher prowess skills which give higher hit and avoid

And yeah flying and riding eventually give you other skills way down the line

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mancalamania posted:

Do you mean combat arts or the abilities you learn for having high weapon ranks? Both affect hit rate and they tell you how much. On just about any menu in the game you can press X to get tooltips.

Flying/riding give you abilities for certain ranks but are mostly just for unlocking classes. The only notable ones are movement+1 for A+ riding, and negating bow weakness for S+ flying (which you will never ever reach before the game ends without heavy grinding)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I thought maybe the renamed the skill stat dex to avoid the name collision with skills but those also got renamed to abilities so I dunno anymore

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Wanted to check YouTube to see what the music sounds like during battle animations but Nintendo is being assholes about copyrights again so I guess I’ll never hear half the soundtrack.

Oh well.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I thought maybe the renamed the skill stat dex to avoid the name collision with skills but those also got renamed to abilities so I dunno anymore

The Skill stat is now Dexterity
Weapon ranks are now Skills
Skills are now Abilities

Overall I think it's a more sensible setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Higher weapon skill levels mean higher prowess skills which give higher hit and avoid

And yeah flying and riding eventually give you other skills way down the line

By "higher prowess skills" you mean abilities right? (Not being pedantic, just actually unsure!)

cheetah7071 posted:

Do you mean combat arts or the abilities you learn for having high weapon ranks? Both affect hit rate and they tell you how much. On just about any menu in the game you can press X to get tooltips.

Flying/riding give you abilities for certain ranks but are mostly just for unlocking classes. The only notable ones are movement+1 for A+ riding, and negating bow weakness for S+ flying (which you will never ever reach before the game ends without heavy grinding)

I just mean the weapon ranks themselves. I tried searching the Tooltips and could only find info about how the weapon skills affected certification exams and which weapons can be wielded.