Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
When are they announcing rosters? After the 2019 NFL season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

General Dog posted:

Doesn't sound like it, the other tweet with the schedule mentions "No rights fee paid." Maybe they're at least not paying the networks though.

And the networks are picking up all the costs of airing and producing the games

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
They aren't getting paid by the networks, but it's still a big step up from the AAF model of "pay the networks to show our games."

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Why do they even bother with the networks? Do 100% online streaming, have no TV timeouts, and finish the games in 2 hours. TV is becoming as relevant as AM radio or print newspapers, there's a reason why eSports leagues with millions of viewers don't even bother with it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Konstantin posted:

Why do they even bother with the networks? Do 100% online streaming, have no TV timeouts, and finish the games in 2 hours. TV is becoming as relevant as AM radio or print newspapers, there's a reason why eSports leagues with millions of viewers don't even bother with it.

Look behind you as someone with an office chair will bash it over your body.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The demo they’re after only know how to use the computer to yell at AOC.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Konstantin posted:

WWE just signed a 2.35 billion dollar deal with Fox for the rights to air SmackDown from 2019 to 2024. SmackDown is the WWE B-show, at least in their eyes.

The market for live events networks can put on TV is ridiculous right now because it's the only way to pry people away from their streaming services. If the XFL doesn't implode hilariously in it's first year like we all expect but instead strings together 2-3 successful seasons, the networks will pay an obscene amount for the rights.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

The demo they’re after only know how to use the computer to yell at AOC.

And not even effectively. Like my wife's uncle who at least once a month just posts "Happy birthday!" with no context into the void of his own Facebook timeline.

If the XFL cleans up where the AAF failed, that seems like a depressingly apt political analogy that's probably offtopic for this thread.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

BGrifter posted:

If the XFL doesn't implode hilariously in it's first year like we all expect

I believe Vince will save us.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BGrifter posted:

WWE just signed a 2.35 billion dollar deal with Fox for the rights to air SmackDown from 2019 to 2024. SmackDown is the WWE B-show, at least in their eyes.

The market for live events networks can put on TV is ridiculous right now because it's the only way to pry people away from their streaming services. If the XFL doesn't implode hilariously in it's first year like we all expect but instead strings together 2-3 successful seasons, the networks will pay an obscene amount for the rights.

The other reason companies are signing massive network deals is because we are rapidly heading towards a massive recession, one that could be nearly as bad as the Great Recession, possibly as soon as the end of this year. Leading economic indicators are, uh, not promising. (This is why the Republicans didn't really give a poo poo about the Democrats taking the House last year, because they know they can just say "The House controls the purse, you elected Democrats, look what it got you," even though the impact from economic policy generally takes at least two to three years to actually take effect downstream.)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Republicans lost the house because they had a president hammering immigration which most people didn’t care about. Not the thread for that though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Republicans lost the House because Vince took too long to bring back the XFL and make football American again.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Mega64 posted:

Republicans lost the House because Vince took too long to bring back the XFL and make football American again.

BaggySteve
Dec 4, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Timby posted:

The other reason companies are signing massive network deals is because we are rapidly heading towards a massive recession, one that could be nearly as bad as the Great Recession, possibly as soon as the end of this year. Leading economic indicators are, uh, not promising. (This is why the Republicans didn't really give a poo poo about the Democrats taking the House last year, because they know they can just say "The House controls the purse, you elected Democrats, look what it got you," even though the impact from economic policy generally takes at least two to three years to actually take effect downstream.)

Lol

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Repubs lost the house because of the AAF.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I wish I could bet everything I own on Vince getting Trump to look into a camera and scream WHERE'S MY FOOTBALL for an XFL commercial.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Repubs lost the house because of the AAF.

We all lost because of the AAF, OP :911:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

The NFL is playing AMERICAN football in London! They’re taking away AMERICAN scalpers jobs! It’s time to show these football elites who’s really in charge and to put AMERICAN football First!!!

#drainthegridiron

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/xfl2020/status/1129129485553537048

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

On one hand, Mumme's fallen down the ladder of success since getting canned by Kentucky.

On the other, it's the XFL. This can only be awesome.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I am kinda curious to see how a team of NFL has-beens and never-weres runs that offense, especially which QB they get off the scrap heap.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

I am kinda curious to see how a team of NFL has-beens and never-weres runs that offense, especially which QB they get off the scrap heap.

If you have Hal Mumme running the offense there is only one option with a super bowl ring.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I haven't been paying much attention but apparently the XFL now has deals with ABC, Fox Sports, ESPN and Fox?

I liked the AAF conceptually much better but I suppose the XFL is the spring league America deserves

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/AP_NFL/status/1146093526171750400

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://www.kxly.com/news/xfl-registers-trademarks-for-five-potential-names-of-seattle-s-new-team/1092450404

quote:

SEATTLE - America’s new professional football league, the XFL, has filed five trademark applications of potential names for Seattle’s team. They are:

-Seattle Wild

-Seattle Force

-Seattle Fury

-Seattle Dragons

-Seattle Surge

Looking forward to getting furious with the Fury!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I'm really amazed that no major sports team in America is named the Dragons.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
those are all horrible

especially seattle surge. sounds like a regional soda that probably tastes like piss

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Surge could at least have an official soda tied with it!

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Harminoff posted:

Surge could at least have an official soda tied with it!

Do they even make that poo poo anymore?

E: Quick Google says it's sold exclusively at Burger King, so no.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Jagged Jim posted:

Do they even make that poo poo anymore?

E: Quick Google says it's sold exclusively at Burger King, so no.

Amazon was selling it and there still some third party sellers there who have it

I definitely don't have two cases of it sitting in my house

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I found a can of it today in a gas station fridge during my holiday travels.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I put it next to my case of chocola.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1162064536842563584?s=20

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Landry Jones CHUD-status CONFIRMED

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Looks like there will be a QB only draft to kick things off:

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1162065927283757056?s=20

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

That was more efficient than the post I was about to make about "he's a white dude in the NFL, so,"

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Going out of their way right off the bat to show that AAF is the superior league

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Cardale Jones is absolutely going to be an XFL QB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/1163631287741140992?s=21