Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

dragon enthusiast posted:

the only notable magic thing I've done is 4th place split at a 128 entrant RTR prerelease. idk how some of you manage to do multiple flights of prereleases, that poo poo is super strenuous

Capped at 4 rounds max and set payout per records. gently caress ever having to play that much at a prerelease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Well shoot, if we're counting FNM then I go X-0, 1st place at about 25% of the tournaments I've played in the last couple years

You may all start bowing now

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I had a low 20% legacy EVENT win rate in legacy for a few years. Playing D&T almost certainly killed that though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

When I was 13 I spiked a States but had to leave before top 8 started :(

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
When do eldraine previews start

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Prerelease starts 9-28 so, week and a half?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

think they start at PAX so weekend of Aug 30

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Ty goons

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Bugsy posted:

Capped at 4 rounds max and set payout per records. gently caress ever having to play that much at a prerelease.

Does anyone else have a lgs that does Iron man/woman pre release events where they track your win loss record over all 5 pre release events from midnight Friday until Sunday night's event? Top 8 does a draft for a box iirc, poo poo is for whipper snappers who don't need sleep

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Day 2'd a few opens, went 11-4 at the one GP I've attended, got 43rd at last winter's invitational, made top 8 at the only modern no-banlist scg Open to take place, spiked a couple pptq's. Got on camera against tom Ross once, that was fun. Feels ok for not getting to do big events too often.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I went 3-1 at FNM once and have a few MTGO 5-0 leagues under my belt

NEXT STOP PRO TOUR

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

ItBreathes posted:

I asked a while back what people's highest competitive accomplishment was and I don't remember anything notable. Mostly an FNM crowd.

i won a game of magic the gathering at some point in time

but tbh I'm just not into the grind. Tournaments are draining. I like playing high power level magic but too many games at once makes my ADHD lizard brain unhappy

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I never stepped into the old PTQ/actual tournament structure, never felt like I had good ideas when I was trying to brew, and by the time I was actually a decent player I'd moved on to mostly playing casually.

Like I've top 8'd a legacy 1k, me and a buddy won a 2HG prerelease, I top 16'd another prerelease with ~120 people (can't even remember which set it was though) and that may be it when it comes to non-FNM results.

But I do like tournaments overall. The energy when you're having a good day is great. The drain when you're having a bad day is pretty horrible though. I just mostly stick to prereleases.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

jassi007 posted:

I'm bad if anyone gives a poo poo. :P My best finish is top 8'd a local monthly modern 1k.

:same:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I have on multiple occasions, online and in person, in non-CCG settings, been thanked for my EDH deckbuilding advice.

I'm basically extremely :kimchi: every time it happens.

Also, I won all 3 of my store's pre-release events for OG Ravnica block.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've won a couple of FNMs, split the finals of a win-a-box tourney at my old LGS, and top-4'd another big local tourney when I first moved here :shrug: I don't play big events, which is a shame because SCG seems to do one at the convention center here every six months or so.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

I have on multiple occasions, online and in person, in non-CCG settings, been thanked for my EDH deckbuilding advice.

I'm basically extremely :kimchi: every time it happens.

Can vouch, your advice is good and I find it refreshing to be told "no that card/combo just isn't good, here's why, drop it".

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I've won a PPTQ, and some MTGO trophies.

Last week I went to a MCQ and predicted I would go 2-4. Jokes on me, I went 2-5.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Imagine the Hogaak deck if they hadn't banned Deathrite Shaman. :shepface:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The Shortest Path posted:

Imagine the Hogaak deck if they hadn't banned Deathrite Shaman. :shepface:

All of its current T1 plays are better than DRS would have been for what the deck is trying to achieve.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I won a GPT once and got a flight and hotel and 2 byes at GP Pittsburgh. A snowstorm had me arrive a day late, and I played like trash in the big side event. Nowadays, I can't remember the exact last time I played a game of Magic.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I cashed $900 at GP NJ back in OG Mirrodin Block by playing beat_affinity.dek. I beat some pro I hadn't heard of named Jordan something apparently.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Oh! I won my LGS's Fate Reforged Game Day without a single Fate Reforged card in my deck.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I won a few games of commander last weekend, which was the first constructed event I've been to in probably 5-6 years. I'm basically a pro.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Tubgoat posted:

Oh! I won my LGS's Fate Reforged Game Day without a single Fate Reforged card in my deck.

I won a MTGO modern single elim thing using a standard Jund deck (BBE era) that I mistakenly registered.

heh

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I won a MTGO modern single elim thing using a standard Jund deck (BBE era) that I mistakenly registered.

heh
:yeshaha:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BBE rotated out of Standard before Modern was developed, it probably would have been Extended :colbert:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I've top 32/cashed a few large events but my favorite accomplishment is starting 2-0 in vintage masters 2015 playing standard Naya dragons. Blue decks cannot beat a resolved dragonlord dromoka.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The first time I played magic I went 1 - 5 with a Tempest starter deck I bought that day. It was a small local tournament with 20 or so people. Not a theme deck mind you, but the sealed tournament pack. I was 12 at the time and had no idea why my opponent got so much hassling for losing 2-0 to my deck. It had so many cool cards.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Skyl3lazer posted:

I've top 32/cashed a few large events but my favorite accomplishment is starting 2-0 in vintage masters 2015 playing standard Naya dragons. Blue decks cannot beat a resolved dragonlord dromoka.

My only good memory of that standard era was taking down a Game Day with my own random list with See the Unwritten, Dragonlord Atarka, Atarka World Render, and Xenagos God of Revels. It was when I was in Michigan and unemployed, didn't have the money or energy to keep up with Standard, but was able to throw that together for next to nothing and no one was expecting it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Skyl3lazer posted:

My favorite magic accomplishment was my first tournament ever. It was all the magic nerds in my high school doing a single elimination (because trying to do swiss with no software sounded too hard) legacy (because figuring out if your deck is legal for anything else was :effort:) tournament. :10bux: buy in, 2/3 going to the winner 1/3 going to 2nd place. Everyone brought what they thought was their best deck. I brought what was essentially goblin sligh. Turns out when your deck can power out 20 damage on turn 3-4 you don't really have time to crank out tokens with Sacred Mesa, or play graveyard antics with Volrath's Shapeshifter, or anything of the sort.

The final match was me against a guy who also was doing some kind of burn deck but it was based on using furnace of rath and some other cute tricks to get 4x or 8x damage on his burn. Game 2 he taps out on turn 4 to play furnace of rath after having Kindled my goblin turn 3 (since double goblin grenade ruined his day game 1), saying "well this will at least speed things up." I respond with "yeah it will! End of turn, kindle bolt fireblast good game?" He looked like I just punched him in the stomach. He had bolt/bolt/kindle in hand, he just needed to untap with furnace on board.

Best $105 I ever won.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Man, my brain has been so ruined by years and years of asymmetrical effects that I completely didn't realize for a few moments that Furnace was symmetrical.

RIP that guy.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Went 3-0 during a FNM draft last time I went. 2-0-1 during WAR prerelease. Terrible otherwise.

I do want to try doing a modern MCQ sometime to see how long it takes to get punched in the face when I ask to see/read every single card but gently caress paying $1000 for the mana base alone

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

MisterZimbu posted:

Went 3-0 during a FNM draft last time I went. 2-0-1 during WAR prerelease. Terrible otherwise.

I do want to try doing a modern MCQ sometime to see how long it takes to get punched in the face when I ask to see/read every single card but gently caress paying $1000 for the mana base alone

The mana base for 8 whack runs between zero and $200

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Yawgmoth posted:

furnace of rath

quote:

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?printed=true&multiverseid=4819
Double all damage assigned to any creature or player.

Mmm, love that early templating. Almost wants to sound like you choose one on resolution.

quote:

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=205268
If a source would deal damage to a permanent or player, it deals double that damage to that permanent or player instead.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

MisterZimbu posted:

If you had bought the fetchlands during Khans era or like a year or two afterwards, and then the Zen reprints after MM3 released, you'd basically have paid 60-70% less than they cost now.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ShaneB posted:

If you had bought the fetchlands during Khans era or like a year or two afterwards, and then the Zen reprints after MM3 released, you'd basically have paid 60-70% less than they cost now.

Btw if you read this and feel like you missed out, go buy every single card from MH1 you ever want to play.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It super sucks that the solution to Modern card prices is to have bought them earlier, but it's true.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Skyl3lazer posted:

Btw if you read this and feel like you missed out, go buy every single card from MH1 you ever want to play.

Seriously, and this goes for commons and uncommons as well. Some playable commons will probably be $2 in a year or two. Arcum's Astrolabe is already $1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Unfortunately I only started again when Guilds came out, but I'll be the one laughing when my Steam Vents are $800 apiece.