Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ruffian Price posted:

All anime is Dragon Ball, really. Even the series ostensibly about playing basketball or riding bikes just throw their hands in the air and call out everybody's power level so all encounters can be reduced to comparing numbers on a card

...which is not unlike real sports. I guess everything is Dragon Ball

And before Dragon Ball everything used to be Fist of the North Star. Even Jojo used to be Fist of the North Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

food court bailiff posted:

the new fire emblem is pretty good so far and i feel like that says a lot because easily 60-70% of fire emblem games are nearly unplayable trash

You know, I found the newest NEWEST ones fairly procedural and mind numbing but ditto on the older games, I swear the core devs live in a literal basement only playing their own games and dont have any idea about the world around them (maybe not their fault idk.)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The green dude with the purple mask is supposed to be Mega Man, btw.

Pfft, that's nothing. The big beefy blonde guy with aviator goggles is Simon Belmont.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dewgy posted:

Pfft, that's nothing. The big beefy blonde guy with aviator goggles is Simon Belmont.

:holymoley: I did not know that, that's great.

Also pretty awesome are some of the Robot Masters from Mega Man 2. Some are pretty similar, others...not so much.

Originals:

Captain N:

e: considering they got Fire Man as "a box that's on fire" and Wood Man as "a robot but made of wood" you'd think they'd have gotten Mega Man as "a blue robot child" but welp

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

That Quick Man owns though

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Metal Man looks pretty cool too

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah, they got the accessories right, but I wonder how they managed to interpret "robot" as "black guy" or "ninja turtle"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you know now that i think about it, i wonder if captain n didn't actually have the licenses to the likenesses lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't remember wood man shooting thick ropes of jizz but I guess it's thematic

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

That Quick Man gers horny and fucks

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

is pepsi ok posted:

Is NMS good now?

Its very complete as a space exploration game now but space exploration is remarkably boring when everything is procgen and it largely holds no secrets.

I would say on release it was worth about 2 hours of interesting gameplay

Now it's more like 15

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: considering they got Fire Man as "a box that's on fire" and Wood Man as "a robot but made of wood" you'd think they'd have gotten Mega Man as "a blue robot child" but welp

I just realized after all these years that Heat Man's design is based on a Zippo lighter.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

abigserve posted:

Its very complete as a space exploration game now but space exploration is remarkably boring when everything is procgen and it largely holds no secrets.

I feel like that’s probably what real space exploration is going to be like once we have the means to get close to exoplanets. Just a lot of cataloguing and spending a couple hours max at each one.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dross posted:

I feel like that’s probably what real space exploration is going to be like once we have the means to get close to exoplanets. Just a lot of cataloguing and spending a couple hours max at each one.

each planet will be worth about 44min of attention, with time for two commercial breaks

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i got all enemy AIs and conditions to sync over the network at once. some days u feel like u are just spinning your gears and getting nowhere but some days u feel like a god king

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

abigserve posted:

I would say on release it was worth about 2 hours of interesting gameplay

Now it's more like 15

i definitely found 'secrets' when i played at release, like a weird structure at the bottom of a lake that had a thing i had just barely enough translation words to understand was about the frog guys being psycho genocidal warmongers in the recent past

i haven't played since any of the updates but i kinda liked vanilla NMS, it was chill AF and sometimes you want to just dashjump around a planet with a weird green sky for a while. honestly with each update they add i keep thinkin' i should go back and try it again, it looks cooler, but idk...just don't have that kind of 'sit and chill' time anymore and when i do i tend to use it painting tiny space barbies while binging twenty year old television

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sounds better than Starbound at least.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sounds better than Starbound at least.

starbound is an amazing saga of a bunch of idiot nerds taking something fun with a lot of potential and turning it into the dumbest poo poo imaginable

there should be a postmortem book on starbound from early access darling to boring release

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

starbound is an amazing saga of a bunch of idiot nerds taking something fun with a lot of potential and turning it into the dumbest poo poo imaginable

there should be a postmortem book on starbound from early access darling to boring release

What made it good in the beginning? I tried it only after release and it sucked something fierce. Genuinely intrested how anything fun could evolve into that.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Whomever said Steamworld Quest is better than Slay the Spire awhile go is wrong.

I struggle with who/whom but that isn't right is it?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I also didn't say it was better, I said it was a fun game in the same style.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

please do not engage with poster terminal idiot Duck and Cover, i beg you

Icochet posted:

What made it good in the beginning? I tried it only after release and it sucked something fierce. Genuinely intrested how anything fun could evolve into that.

it was more open, had cooler stuff to find, had ways to mine a bunch of ores and stuff that didn't take hours of busywork, had a combat system less weirdly based on poking things and jumping backwards or whatever the hell they ended up with, it's honestly a pretty long list. basically every update made it less fun to play.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

When I saw it in Early Access, Starbound just looked like Terraria with a sci-fi angle, and the procedurally-generated planets looked great, but it sounds like they started adding in more and more poo poo to differentiate it.

I was fine with Terraria in Space with Random Planets, damnit :(

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

ion fury is really loving good

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Flimf posted:

ion maiden is really loving good

:colbert:

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

ion fury is a better name

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I agree but the entire lawsuit thing is just a gigantic eyeroll

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Snow Cone Capone posted:

When I saw it in Early Access, Starbound just looked like Terraria with a sci-fi angle, and the procedurally-generated planets looked great, but it sounds like they started adding in more and more poo poo to differentiate it.

I really liked the warp drive, where all the loading and biome generation happened in the background with the gameplay unbroken in the ship. Made the world feel way bigger.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's certainly possible I am remembering wrong it's not as though I looked it up (if I had it would have been quoted) but my complaints are still valid.

please do not engage with poster terminal idiot Duck and Cover, i beg you

Don't like my posts? Say why, have a discussion or just ignore them. Being an rear end in a top hat doesn't really accomplish anything besides make yourself feel better. Like it isn't going to stop me from pointing out things I perceive as flaws in video games. If I was wrong, then I was wrong, I don't really care enough to attempt to find the post I'm remembering.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 15, 2019

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Duck and Cover posted:

Being an rear end in a top hat doesn't really accomplish anything besides make yourself feel better.

This is like when the cops go to elementary schools and try to scare the kids away from drugs, but everything they say just makes drugs sound really great.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

It's certainly possible I am remembering wrong it's not as though I looked it up (if I had it would have been quoted) but my complaints are still valid.
he's talking about your use of 'whomever' you illiterate

quote:

Don't like my posts? Say why,

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=113845
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809896&userid=113845
https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=113845

you suck worse than starbound

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Well I started No Man's Sky and spawned on a scorching planet where I need to scrounge for materials every minute to not die and then it crashed to blue screen

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Problem is that they actually got worse as early access went on, somehow making the game more grindy and introducing a shitload of garbage no one wanted and redoing all the fluff to somehow be even more generic than what they started with, probably not helping that pretty much all the competent devs left rather than move to London.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh poo poo I misinterpreted what someone said! Whelp golly guess you should be hostile towards me. You got me. I probably butcher English (I'm a native speaker so no excuse there) in the majority of posts and suggests no one use me as an example of proper writing. Since it's clear you don't have any particular complaint towards my posts and just the dull people don't like you so I don't like you feeling towards me I'm done talking to you. I'm gonna continue to talk about video games because I like to do that and dislike when things get sidetracked.

Just bought Dicey Dungeons I hope it's good.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 15, 2019

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

*is presented a post history with nothing but banal, content-free idiocy as far as the eye can see, and a three-page rapsheet for same* well it's CLEAR you don't have any actual problem with my POSTING, i'm just going to talk about VIDEO GAMES

e: whoops forgot to mention video games

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I heard Duck and Cover call an old lady the "n" word one time because she said she liked to play candy crush

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Soiled Meat
Death to America

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

steinrokkan posted:

Death to America

at least wait until a few weeks after Doom Eternal is released

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I want to like that new Age it Wonders game but I just can’t. How can riding dinosaurs with lasers on their heads and space dwarf Russians be this tedious?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

new phone who dis posted:

I want to like that new Age it Wonders game but I just can’t. How can riding dinosaurs with lasers on their heads and space dwarf Russians be this tedious?

Planetfall? Please tell me it's really bad and awful because otherwise I'll end up overpaying for another Paradox title I will never really devote the time to getting into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Not unpopular, but I am replaying FF9 for the first time in years and it is so loving endearing. :3:

I love that the battle system is actually integrated with the story, especially how characters that are Going Through Some poo poo don't celebrate at the end of battles.

Shame about the sloth-pace of the battle system though.