Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

sauer kraut posted:

Hello one of the humblebundle newbies here :shobon:
Some buildings give boni like +40% attack to heavy cav. Are those global, only for troops currently standing on that county, or only for troops raised in that barony?
I started my first serious game as a king (Bavaria) and have a reminder thing on top that says I can create two Duke titles. When would be a good time to do that? I seem to be just fine with counts and barons.
Gavelkind looks very scary, so the thing to do is murder your wife and/or all children after the first one yes? Or alternatively join an order and do the celibacy thing to end the killing.
Do my vassals build upgrades at some point, or do I have to pay for all their poo poo like walls or a school myself?
Cheers

As for the bonus: I'd like to know that too.

For gavelkind: Simply limit your expansion and creating titles until you can switch to something else like Primogeniture. I've found it's easiest to do as a King - if you only have one King title, SOMEBODY in your dynasty is going to inherit that top title, so it won't split the kingdom apart. You can take bits and pieces of other kingsdoms, but if you dn't create the title, it usually doesn't result in the kingdom being given away (admittedly I don't fully understand it either).

If you can make the jump to creating an empire, great. The same rule applies here - only have one top dog title and you'll be fine.

Your vassals should buy the upgrades, don't pay money you don't have to. Especially not for vassals, they'll just use it against you anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

sauer kraut posted:

Some buildings give boni like +40% attack to heavy cav. Are those global, only for troops currently standing on that county, or only for troops raised in that barony?
I started my first serious game as a king (Bavaria) and have a reminder thing on top that says I can create two Duke titles. When would be a good time to do that? I seem to be just fine with counts and barons.
Gavelkind looks very scary, so the thing to do is murder your wife and/or all children after the first one yes? Or alternatively join an order and do the celibacy thing to end the killing.
Do my vassals build upgrades at some point, or do I have to pay for all their poo poo like walls or a school myself?
Cheers

1. I'm pretty sure it only applies to troops raised in that specific barony, but this is the answer I'm least sure about, others can correct me.

2. You don't ever really have to make duke titles if you can't spare the money and you're already a king. If you want dejure claims on land that you don't own yet, then it's a good idea, or if you need the prestige. Your vassels won't like you having too many duke titles.

3. You want to always be married, you get half of your wife's stats. Also you can't directly plot to murder your children, either reform into another succession law as soon as you can, or just conquer your former lands from your brothers once you take over as your heir. You should have a strong claim on them and in theory you should also have more troops.

4. Let your vassals upgrade their buildings.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

It sounds like you're talking about Cultural Buildings, which the CK2 wiki says only counts the buildings you have in your capital and only applies the bonus to your cultural retinue. IIRC, the other military buildings just straight up add men to the province's levy pool.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 14, 2019

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

In addition to the above, be careful with upgrading cultural buildings almost anywhere outside of your own holdings, not because you might not get the benefit from them but because if the culture of that region flips, the buildings go off-line and you've ploughed cash and (more importantly) building-time into something that no longer works.

All that said though, if you can afford it, building sponsorship is something you can quite quickly spam in however large numbers your wallet can stand to gain widespread bonuses among vassals — the bonus is small, but long-lasting, and is very useful for pushing them over that last edge of reticence you need to keep them in line.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

sauer kraut posted:

And be one accident or epidemic from game over? I prefer to have as many children as possible for the good of the dynasty, and just accept any territorial losses along the way. Eventually a ruler will live long enough to get a duchy or kingdom title that won't be split. Probably.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I hate how easy it is for the Children's Crusade to fail because the drat cassus belli becomes invalid somehow. I've seen it happen three times now.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

sauer kraut posted:

Cheers

Duchies are useful if you're a king having issues with vassal limit. If you create one then give it to a count in that duchy (making sure to include lower titles) you can cut this down as the other counts in that duchy will be his vassal. Even more effective if they are already a duke, but obviously you want to avoid vassals becoming too powerful.

With gavelkind you can limit yourself to one child, order all but one to take the vows or send them on suicide missions if you're at war, but primogeniture does make life easier.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Duchies are useful if you're a king having issues with vassal limit. If you create one then give it to a count in that duchy (making sure to include lower titles) you can cut this down as the other counts in that duchy will be his vassal. Even more effective if they are already a duke, but obviously you want to avoid vassals becoming too powerful.

With gavelkind you can limit yourself to one child, order all but one to take the vows or send them on suicide missions if you're at war, but primogeniture does make life easier.

what does the bolded bit actually do? Like if you've got Countess Alice, Count Bob, and Count Charles in a de jure dutchy, and you give it to Alice, what's the difference between making sure to include lower titles and not?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

awesmoe posted:

what does the bolded bit actually do? Like if you've got Countess Alice, Count Bob, and Count Charles in a de jure dutchy, and you give it to Alice, what's the difference between making sure to include lower titles and not?

It means when granting a title that you also transfer its vassal titles, that you hold or that are your vassal, either for them to hold or be their vassal respectively.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

awesmoe posted:

I think it means be sure to include lower titles you have. So in your example it doesn't matter, but if you create Duchy X with counties A, B and C where A was in your name and give Alice Duchy X then you should give her county A too.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Sweet, that makes sense. Thanks

Unrelated topic, wow merchant republics where the religion can have concubines are amazing.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

awesmoe posted:

Sweet, that makes sense. Thanks

Unrelated topic, wow merchant republics where the religion can have concubines are amazing.

Yep. Anything that allows you to poo poo out lots of kids (and thus sons) is great for merchant republics. For religions that don't allow concubines or polygamy, using the seduction focus to screw everything in sight and then legitimize the male bastards works pretty well too (though your dynasty and especially your wife won't be too happy about tons of legitimized bastards).

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
I was dicking around in an early Ireland start and my first Tribal leader got syphilis and went crazy. Along comes a Muslim mystic who says he can cure the syphilis. One hand later he is cured and of course the crazy Chieftain is now a devout Sunni.

Time jump two generations later.

Ireland's population is totally Muslim. The Muslim Irish King is near to crushing Scotland (Picland) under its heel, thanks to a 10k strong tribal hoard.

My question: when do I switch to Feudalism?

I did a test and If I switch now I lose the 1/2 my men due to not being able to call Tribal allies.

Should I just wait until I am nearly dead and steal everyone's land so the whole Island goes Feudal with me? Or what?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

retinues my brother. get yourself a 3k retinue w the best cultural / light inf armies your prestige can buy, then rely on that until your levies are up to par. alternatively, get the warrior lodge ability to refill your levies and use it after you convert

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ScottyJSno posted:

I was dicking around in an early Ireland start and my first Tribal leader got syphilis and went crazy. Along comes a Muslim mystic who says he can cure the syphilis. One hand later he is cured and of course the crazy Chieftain is now a devout Sunni.

Time jump two generations later.

Ireland's population is totally Muslim. The Muslim Irish King is near to crushing Scotland (Picland) under its heel, thanks to a 10k strong tribal hoard.

My question: when do I switch to Feudalism?

I did a test and If I switch now I lose the 1/2 my men due to not being able to call Tribal allies.

Should I just wait until I am nearly dead and steal everyone's land so the whole Island goes Feudal with me? Or what?

At the very, very least you want to have your holdings maxed out. And you want as big a tribal retinue as possible. You'll go way over your cap and the troops will be poo poo, but your neighbors will just be looking at raw numbers.

It would help if your vassals are ready to upgrade as well so you can call them as vassal leves, but there's going to be growing pains. As a viking I'd usually just finance the entire kingdom because I'm drowning in prestige and gold, but as other tribals it's a slow process.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Does anyone know when I should input the CD keys? I've just been playing the learning scenario and haven't gotten any prompt to punch them in like I did for STALKER.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Does anyone know when I should input the CD keys? I've just been playing the learning scenario and haven't gotten any prompt to punch them in like I did for STALKER.

Never — they might come in handy as proof of purchase when dealing with Paradox support, but that's about it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
or to get on the Paradox forums

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

awesmoe posted:

Whenever you hand out a title that's not bottom level holding, E.G. county level and above, always include lower titles. If you don't the vassals of that county/duchy/kingdom will still answer to you, so you'll get a big opinion malus from the newly landed Count/Earl/Duke/King that want their rightful vassals to answer to them instead of you. Also, don't own counties or castles/temples/towns in counties that you don't hold the title for since you'll piss off your vassal that wants either those titles or proper subordinates for them. So land somebody in a county that you're giving away the duchy to. Also, those vassals of vassals will start loving around with their new liege instead of you. That is very convenient when you start getting larger and want to minimize the number of scheming assholes coveting your throne. Instead, they'll covet and scheme for your subordinates' thrones and you can largely ignore them.

Something that makes this process easier is that you can right click on a holding you directly own that's not a county capital there's a button that'll just generate someone of your culture and religion that'll take that title for free for you, so you don't have to go through the mess of finding a suitable noble in a court for the littlest stuff.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

What's the coolest place to invade as Haesteinn? I just started a game with the intention of taking Egypt and becoming Coptic but Egypt is too big to be the target of a prepared invasion :mad:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Making progress on my first playthrough, but is there any way to change the default color scheme for Realm view? Trying to tell different shades of green apart isn't impossible, but it's getting old.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Complications posted:

Whenever you hand out a title that's not bottom level holding, E.G. county level and above, always include lower titles. If you don't the vassals of that county/duchy/kingdom will still answer to you, so you'll get a big opinion malus from the newly landed Count/Earl/Duke/King that want their rightful vassals to answer to them instead of you. Also, don't own counties or castles/temples/towns in counties that you don't hold the title for since you'll piss off your vassal that wants either those titles or proper subordinates for them. So land somebody in a county that you're giving away the duchy to. Also, those vassals of vassals will start loving around with their new liege instead of you. That is very convenient when you start getting larger and want to minimize the number of scheming assholes coveting your throne. Instead, they'll covet and scheme for your subordinates' thrones and you can largely ignore them.

Something that makes this process easier is that you can right click on a holding you directly own that's not a county capital there's a button that'll just generate someone of your culture and religion that'll take that title for free for you, so you don't have to go through the mess of finding a suitable noble in a court for the littlest stuff.

Thanks this is handy to know.

I did my first take over inviting someone with a claim to my court last night, sure beats waiting for claims to fabricate. I guess the key thing to watch out for with this approach is that the person you invite is not ambitious etc. right? Otherwise once you take the claim they’ll start loving with you?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Red_Fred posted:

Thanks this is handy to know.

I did my first take over inviting someone with a claim to my court last night, sure beats waiting for claims to fabricate. I guess the key thing to watch out for with this approach is that the person you invite is not ambitious etc. right? Otherwise once you take the claim they’ll start loving with you?

Anybody that's your direct vassal and landed at county or above is probably going to gently caress with you in some way unless they're above +80 opinion regardless. Content makes this less likely. Lower ranking direct vassals may gently caress with you if they see a chance but aren't liable to start whatever's going down. Ambitious just makes them more likely to outright assassinate or maneuver close to succession. Since spymasters gain a bonus to plot power, don't give an ambitious anybody or someone who dislikes you the post of spymaster. But especially not somebody who's ambitious. Better the mayor of nonwheresville that likes you already than an ambitious, powerful vassal that would like you if they were on the council.

Ideally you want your vassals to have ambitious people nipping at their heels though. After all, vassals inherently covet the title of and dislike their liege, but not their liege's liege.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Basically…

Feudal or not, everyone's desires in the game (apart from the odd nomadic structure) are based on the de jure hierarchy of holdings, and as such, you generally want to make sure that if they own anything, they also have control over the subservient holdings as well, personally or through vassals. Hence why you want to use “include lower titles” on almost anything, just to make sure you don't accidentally leave out anything you own that you could potentially hand over.

If you don't you'll end up in a situation resembling the lower part of the picture: everyone hates everyone and without first retracting titles (which will make everyone hate you) you can't even fully fix it just by handing things away. Sometimes you want this: they'll be busy ripping each other's throats out rather than yours. Often, you do not, because one will start winning and amassing more and more land and then they come for you. Keeping everyone in the pyramid will still have people going after each other, but it will more commonly be conflicts between liege and vassal (I want to own everything in my tiny realm vs. I want to take over because you're a lovely ruler), only occasionally spilling over between same-level lieges when one manage to create a claim on something — a much slower process than if they are inherently granted one by not following the de jure structure.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I like to create vassals for non-capital holdings in each county, myself (for you newer guys you do this by right-clicking a non-capital holding and pressing the left button at the top of the pop-up box that says "Create New Vassal" or somesuch). It's tedious, but at least then when I hand over those counties to brand new dukes and stuff they get direct control over as few holdings as possible to keep them at least a little weaker. They'll plot and scheme to get more holdings within their domain anyway, but I do what I can to keep my vassals hamstrung and quarreling.

Like say I want to give away a two-county duchy, and each county has two castles, a city, and a temple. I create new vassals for one castle, city, and temple in each of the two counties, then give both counties and the duchy title to the guy I want. This means that in the end the new duke controls just the two capital castle holdings. If you don't do this and just hand over the counties, they might keep direct control over all four castles in the duchy as long as they have the demesne limit for it. That means they have more troops than if you'd only gave them two castles with their new duchy. As I said this is hardly a permanent handicap because they'll absolutely find ways to get control of those castles in the long run anyway, I just like making amassing power as hard and long a process for my vassals as possible.

I find this especially useful at the empire level dealing with vassal kings. If you just hand a kingdom and all its titles over to one dude, he'll keep two duchies for himself and as many counties as his demesne limit allows. If you go from the ground up he'll only hold one duchy and as many of the counties within that duchy as he can (likely all of them if you create vassals for the holdings within each county, leaving him only the county capital holding, which also means his levies don't benefit as much from having multiple holdings in their capital duchy/county). And if you've got viceroyalties I always pick the weakest guy in the duchy/kingdom that likes me the most to be the new viceroy. I try to always sow the seeds of conflict between my vassals. Let them focus on loving each other as much as possible so they have less time/power to try to gently caress you, their liege.

It's a tedious practice that takes a little time, but imo it's worth doing. And checking the box to give all subsequent titles/vassals is still a good idea so that their de jure vassals are automatically transferred with each title you grant.

If anybody's interested but find that description confusing, I can put together a step-by-step example with screenshots. :shrug:

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 16, 2019

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Honky Dong Country posted:

I like to create vassals for non-capital holdings in each county, myself (for you newer guys you do this by right-clicking a non-capital holding and pressing the left button at the top of the pop-up box that says "Create New Vassal" or somesuch). It's tedious, but at least then when I hand over those counties to brand new dukes and stuff they get direct control over as few holdings as possible to keep them at least a little weaker. They'll plot and scheme to get more holdings within their domain anyway, but I do what I can to keep my vassals hamstrung and quarreling.

Like say I want to give away a two-county duchy, and each county has two castles, a city, and a temple. I create new vassals for one castle, city, and temple in each of the two counties, then give both counties and the duchy title to the guy I want. This means that in the end the new duke controls just the two capital castle holdings. If you don't do this and just hand over the counties, they might keep direct control over all four castles in the duchy as long as they have the demesne limit for it. That means they have more troops than if you'd only gave them two castles with their new duchy. As I said this is hardly a permanent handicap because they'll absolutely find ways to get control of those castles in the long run anyway, I just like making amassing power as hard and long a process for my vassals as possible.

I find this especially useful at the empire level dealing with vassal kings. If you just hand a kingdom and all its titles over to one dude, he'll keep two duchies for himself and as many counties as his demesne limit allows. If you go from the ground up he'll only hold one duchy and as many of the counties within that duchy as he can (likely all of them if you create vassals for the holdings within each county, leaving him only the county capital holding, which also means his levies don't benefit as much from having multiple holdings in their capital duchy/county). And if you've got viceroyalties I always pick the weakest guy in the duchy/kingdom that likes me the most to be the new viceroy. I try to always sow the seeds of conflict between my vassals. Let them focus on loving each other as much as possible so they have less time/power to try to gently caress you, their liege.

It's a tedious practice that takes a little time, but imo it's worth doing. And checking the box to give all subsequent titles/vassals is still a good idea so that their de jure vassals are automatically transferred with each title you grant.

If anybody's interested but find that description confusing, I can put together a step-by-step example with screenshots. :shrug:

If you don’t mind doing an explanation with screen shots that would be much appreciated. Could go in the OP too.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Red_Fred posted:

If you don’t mind doing an explanation with screen shots that would be much appreciated. Could go in the OP too.

Gonna take me a little time, but sure no problem.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

*snip good tactics*

To add on to this:

With these practices and slowly swapping to viceroy duchies I have to manually cut the occasional wannabe superduke (two duchies, 6-8 counties held) down to size every now and then. Vassals will always find a way to be inconvenient, so make sure to check up on matters every now and then. That said, doing this and splitting for example a five county duchy across five counts and giving one of them the dukedom does tend to delay problems from cropping up for quite some time. You do, however, absolutely need to be sure that those counts aren't related to each other or some decent knifework could undo all your effort very quickly.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Complications posted:

To add on to this:

With these practices and slowly swapping to viceroy duchies I have to manually cut the occasional wannabe superduke (two duchies, 6-8 counties held) down to size every now and then. Vassals will always find a way to be inconvenient, so make sure to check up on matters every now and then. That said, doing this and splitting for example a five county duchy across five counts and giving one of them the dukedom does tend to delay problems from cropping up for quite some time. You do, however, absolutely need to be sure that those counts aren't related to each other or some decent knifework could undo all your effort very quickly.

Yeah no matter what you do, especially as you get into empire-level poo poo, you're gonna have to bust some heads and break poo poo up. When I'm running an empire I'll absolutely revoke some titles and poo poo when a viceroyalty comes back to me and its guts are all kinds of hosed up. You don't want to overdue it because tyranny maluses build up and can absolutely bury you, but a little housekeeping here and there helps keep your vassals from amassing too much power. But yeah I have a way to make sure none of them are related, though that doesn't matter over time same as anything else because they're gonna intermarry.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I wanted to do an iron man merchant republic run based out of Brugge, so I played a norse duchy, invaded some poo poo while working up to absolute tribal control and pagan reform.

Now I'm in analysis paralysis over how to proceed. What are the good traits for a reformed pagan to run a merchant republic? Is it worth sticking with it or switching asap to catholic? Do I revoke all the cities to put them in my control before switching to MR?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Red_Fred posted:

Here you go!

Oh God I'm Way Over My Demesne Limit Fuuuuuuuuuuuck
Also known as "Just how does this bullshit work anyway?: The Post"

You're King William the Conqueror. Through console fuckery By the grace of Almighty God and his Holiness Pope Alexander II, you've united the British Isles into the Empire of Britannia and recently conquered the small Kingdom of Brittany. You've stripped all its lords of their lands for being unfortunate enough to be who I chose for this exercise foul heretics. You couldn't be happier, except there's one little problem:

What the gently caress do you do with this mess? You've got the entire Kingdom of Brittany, its three constituent duchies, as well as every single holding in all nine counties between those duchies under your direct control. Before I go into what I like to do with this situation let's start with a couple of don'ts.

:siren:DO NOT EVER CLICK THIS BULLSHIT::siren:

Clicking that means your chancellor will distribute all the lands you're holding beyond your demesne limit himself. For one, like most things you trust AI with, he's gonna gently caress it up. And two, he's going to gently caress it up in a way that very suspiciously expands the lands of himself and his family.

PROBABLY Don't Pick Some Guy And Do This:

I'm not going to tell you that this is 100% a bad idea. Honestly, if you're insanely powerful to the point that you're rolling up kingdoms and duchies despite a world-wide defensive pact against you and even a shitload of your kings together can't push your poo poo in, hey go for it. It's quick and easy. In this case that'll hand over the Kingdom of Brittany to This Guy along with all the duchies and counties in it. It will then no longer be your problem and he'll distribute all that stuff as he sees fit, just like you're choosing not to. But personally I don't like doing this because once he's done he'll keep two of the duchies for himself and as many counties as his demesne limit can handle. In other words, he'll have an iron fisted grip on his new kingdom pretty easily and will be able to focus all his time and energy on getting more land or worse, royally loving you over.

So instead let's start from the ground up and handle this ourselves.

1. Pick a Duchy, Any Duchy

Brittany is a small kingdom, having only three duchies. So pick one. I generally start with the duchy with the fewest counties, but since in this case they all have three counties, it doesn't really matter much. So we'll start with Upper Brittany.

2. Let's Generate Some Vassals

Within Upper Brittany, I'm going to pick one county and click it.

With Rennes selected, let me point out that the holding outlined in yellow is the Capital Holding. This can be anything. But generally for Feudals it's a castle, burghers it's cities, and theocracies it's churches. As a feudal you're gonna want to end up with this being a castle (with a few exceptions we need not cover here now). But what I'm going to do here since this county has two castles is right-click the castle that isn't the capital one. In this case that's Fougeres, which is obscured by the lil window that pops up when you right click a holding. Then I'm going to click the left round button I've circled in red, Create New Vassal. This literally conjures some shithead unmarried noble out of thin air and automatically grants him that holding. Then I'm going to do the exact same for the church and the city next to it, leaving me with only the capital holding still under my direct control. Then click on the other counties in that duchy and do the same with the non-capital holdings. It doesn't matter what dickhead controls these holdings, you'll never deal with them personally. I'm just getting it so that in Upper Brittany I directly control only the capital castle in each of the three counties.

3. Time to Pick a Horse

Even though CK2 has plenty of horse (and other animal types) shenanigans, we're not picking an actual horse. We need to find some schmuck to take this land over. There's a lot to consider when it comes to picking somebody. Since we're doing multiple duchies here, I strongly recommend making sure that at least one of them is lead by somebody with the content trait. All vassals are basically always willing to gently caress you over, but content ones are a little less rabid about it. I also like to pick zealous characters because they're good about using their court chaplains to ruthless smite any kind of heresy in their lands. This means when one of his counties flips heretic, they're usually good about converting them back to your faith. They'll also more aggressively hunt and burn satanists, which is pretty drat great unless you're a Satanist (not that one of your vassals' chaplains is a threat to you directly.) You also generally want to pick somebody that shares your culture and religion. This just avoids the opinion malus you get from differences in those departments. If you can't find a candidate you consider "good" then you can at least hopefully avoid poo poo like ambitious, which means that guy will tirelessly gently caress their liege over without rest. To the point that they'll keep trying to screw over their liege until they've climbed high enough to not have one anymore (thus usurping your throne). poo poo like deceitful and envious can be a pain in the rear end too. But honestly I'm usually just happy to get a content/zealous guy, or just a content guy, or just a zealous guy.

How do you find the right moron to give this county? The character finder:

Click the button I've highlighted in red in the bottom right corner and you'll see this window. There's lots of search filters as well as a box at the top where you can search for specific traits. You'll notice that I narrowed results to males who aren't rulers that share my culture/religion. Then I typed in content and found these two dickheads. Now I hover the cursor over each of their pictures to check for something, and sure enough I found it on one of them.

See that part where is says "Heir to the Bishopric of Rochester"? That means he might come into possession of that church soon. Honestly with us being catholic, I'm pretty sure that giving him a feudal title will take him out of the running for that, but honestly I don't know, so I'm not going to pick him. I never pick people that're already heirs to stuff if I can help it because it just means they're gonna get poo poo I didn't intend for them to have in addition to what I'm about to give him. So let's go with the other guy, Lambert. So I right click on him, hit grant title, find Rennes, click the box next to "Include Lower Titles" so that the baron, mayor, and bishop in Rennes automatically become his vassals, and away we go.

4. Pick Morons to Rule the Rest of the Counties in the Duchy

So basically here I'm doing step three again for the other two counties of Upper Brittany. But one point I want to make is that generally, if I'm distributing just a duchy, I go to the trouble of giving each county to a different guy. But if I'm distributing an entire kingdom like we're doing here, I don't bother. I just give all the counties to the one guy because I have no desire to track down 3-4x as many candidates to make sure every county in the kingdom has its own distinct ruler. So in this example I'm just going to give everything straight to Lambert.

5. Choose Your Duke

Let's assume I actually gave each county to a different character. So now I've got three counts, right? Well only one of them can be the duke, so it's time to pull up their character sheets and just give them a look. A lot of the poo poo I said in step three applies here when it comes to traits. Ideally pick somebody content, even better if they're zealous too, but definitely avoid ambitious people. It's also worth looking at their opinion of you. Pick a guy that really likes you (which in all honesty is prolly all of them because granting titles gives a HUGE opinion boost for the next decade). But if you pick a guy that really likes you and is content or at least not ambitious, odds are about as low as they get that he'll be trying to screw you over too hard. He'll most likely be too busy protecting himself from his new scheming vassals while simultaneously trying to steal their land for himself. At least for awhile. Anyway, I'm gonna do just like I did in the last image except instead I'm selecting "Duchy of Upper Brittany" and still checking the "Include Lower Titles" box, so that when he's granted his new Duchy, the other counts in that duchy are automatically transferred to him as vassals. And boom, you've now distributed a duchy by hand and by the end of it the prick has as little power as you can possibly give him.

If all you've got to hand out is a duchy, which is the case most of the time because of holy wars and poo poo, then you can just stop here. You're done, good job! But we're dealing with a whole kingdom here, which isn't as common and typically comes from real big poo poo like Invasions, Crusades, Jihads, and Great Holy Wars. So, because of this, what I'm doing is not giving every county its own ruler, and instead giving it all to Lambert here. This just means rather than picking a count for each one, you just skip right to giving him the Duchy of Upper Brittany with the "Include Lower Titles" box checked. In this case what that does is place the other two counties he doesn't already hold directly under his control, no vassals other than the barons/mayors/bishops within each county. Why do I want to give these dukes a little more direct power? Because at the end of all this I'll be crowning a king, and I want his dukes strong enough to make that new king work to keep his new realm together so that he can't focus on loving me over as easily. But before we get there, we've got more work to do.

6. Now Do the Other Duchies!

This is exactly what it sounds like. In this example, I've now taken care of Upper Brittany and given it its duke. Now it's time to do the same for the Duchies of Brittany and Penthievre, the other two in the Kingdom of Brittany. Repeat steps 1-5 for each one. I know this sounds tedious but honestly when you get used to this sort of thing it doesn't take too long at all. One it's done you can hit the De Jure Duchies and Direct Vassal map views and you'll notice that they're identical for what you've just done. You've now got three nice tidy duchies.

7. I Dub Thee King, You Backstabbing Dog

Now if you're just a king yourself or you've got the vassal limit to spare and don't mind a few more dukes to look after, you're already done. Hang on to the kingdom title yourself if you want. But in this example we're assuming Emperor William here controls all of Britannia and some other poo poo besides. He's got high centralization laws to get the biggest demesne he can and consequently his vassal limit is low. So what is an emperor to do? Time to make somebody a king. How you do this is simple: repeat step 5 except instead of looking at counts within a duchy, you're look at dukes within a kingdom. The same advice applies. Pick somebody that likes you and is preferably content and so on and so forth. Once you find your guy, hit Grant Title, select "Kingdom of Brittany" and make sure you click the "Include Lower Titles" box again so that the other dukes automatically become his vassals. And there are you. You've now got a new vassal king ruling over Brittany, meaning you don't have to deal with the dukes of that kingdom and instead just deal with him. When I click the Direct Vassal map view this is what I see now:

Now a little recap.

Why bother with this poo poo/is it worth the trouble?

That's up to you. Plenty of players just hand off a kingdom/duchy to some guy and let them sort it out, which is fine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to deal with distributing a large amount of land (and it can be very large, I chose Brittany because it's a wee lil kingdom good for this kind of post). But if you do that, your new vassal king will hold his kingdom title, two duchies, and if he's got a decent demesne limit, a buncha counties. Or if his capital has multiple castles in it he may keep every one of them himself, making the most of the +50% levy bonus holdings in your capital county get, which is a serious boost to his power. On the other hand, if you do what I just did, your new vassal king will have his kingdom title, only one duchy, and only as many counties as there are in his duchy (within which he'll only hold the capital holding and won't have multiple castles in his capital county getting that +50% levy buff). He'll have to deal with and gently caress over his new vassals to fill out his demesne limit and make the most of his potential power to be a pain in your rear end. Don't get me wrong, sooner or later vassals get their poo poo in order and become annoying. Nothing can stop it in the long run. Personally I consider it worth it to distribute land by hand and not make it any easier for them. It's up to you if that's worth the effort for you.

But my general rule of thumb when distributing lands is to always generate vassals for every non-capital holding, no matter how tedious it is. Then if you are:

A Duke: pick a separate character to give each county to
A King: pick a separate character to give each county to, then pick your ideal vassal among them and make him the duke
An Emperor: pick a separate character to give each whole duchy to, then pick your ideal vassal among them and make him the king

If you're a count then all of this is irrelevant to you because giving somebody a county will make them your peer and thus not your vassal. :suicide:

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 16, 2019

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I've been playing CK2 for a long time and I never noticed 'Create new vassal' button, my god.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Dwesa posted:

I've been playing CK2 for a long time and I never noticed 'Create new vassal' button, my god.

Yep, I make use of it for stuff you're never going to care about again, like non-capital holdings. gently caress using the character finder to get people in place for every single holding in a county, much less duchy or kingdom. Or even worse using the intrigue menu "Invite Noble/Holy Man to Court" decisions to generate people at the cost of gold/piety. Press button, get free vassal. :haw:

Also lol I love "oh my god how did I never know about x" posts because I've had it happen to me too and it's a pretty mind blowing feeling

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 16, 2019

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Also: If you use "Create New Vassal" on a temple holding, you get a small amount of free Piety. Usually not that important, but sometimes you really need that few extra points, especially early game

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I know it doesn't help you with your example, but for Brittany I like to make it a republic for that nice income boost.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

binge crotching posted:

I know it doesn't help you with your example, but for Brittany I like to make it a republic for that nice income boost.

Yeah vassal merchant republics are a slightly different beast I just didn't touch on because I was focusing on the include lower titles thing and just distributing land in general. If I've got a big enough empire I'll actually start a few vassal MRs and let them squabble over trade posts while paying me fat stacks.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Yeah vassal merchant republics are a slightly different beast I just didn't touch on because I was focusing on the include lower titles thing and just distributing land in general. If I've got a big enough empire I'll actually start a few vassal MRs and let them squabble over trade posts while paying me fat stacks.

Hell, give each new Count a Barony in a different County and let the bastards fight each other like dogs to consolidate their holdings.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
What happens to a duchy you own if you create another duchy title that contains land from the first one? Does the second duchy just split off from the first and now you own both of them?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

What happens to a duchy you own if you create another duchy title that contains land from the first one? Does the second duchy just split off from the first and now you own both of them?

Duchies only ever contain what they contain. None of them share counties and they can't be changed at all. The only way what's contained with in a title changes only happens at the kingdom/empire level via de jure drift. Like in that post I made, say neighboring France won a war against me for Upper Brittany and took all of it. If they hold all of its counties and the duchy title itself for a hundred years, it will drift into the Kingdom of France and become a de jure part of it. This can happen with entire duchies and kingdoms, but it can't happen with counties. If one duke holds his entire duchy and then takes a county from his neighbor, even in five hundred years that county will still remain de jure territory of the neighboring duke he stole it from. Creating a second duchy in addition to the one you already hold doesn't change who holds what territory at all. It just means you now have claim on all the de jure territory within the new title you just obtained, which you can press in war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Yep, I make use of it for stuff you're never going to care about again, like non-capital holdings. gently caress using the character finder to get people in place for every single holding in a county, much less duchy or kingdom. Or even worse using the intrigue menu "Invite Noble/Holy Man to Court" decisions to generate people at the cost of gold/piety. Press button, get free vassal. :haw:

As an addendum (as opposed to a response) to this, the “invite” buttons are there for you to keep holdings in your dynasty. Pretty much any other use of them is Wrong™.

Inevitably, your dynasty tree will start to fill out with unlandable relatives — most commonly daughters, but that depends on the rules and culture, obviously. While they can often be sent off to forge non-aggression treaties or alliances, that only works if they're notable to begin with and you'll quickly run out of those. You still want to keep the rest around, however, because they can produce more dynasty members and contribute to your prestige in many new and interesting ways.

In addition, if you've played the breeding game right, those seemingly useless relatives may sit on pretty nice stats and traits that you want to preserve for the future. If you don't do it, you can be sure that the AI relatives will just sell them off or let them die out, or have them inbreed like lab mice making all that work be for nothing, because the AI simply does not understand how to use matrilineal marriages to its advantage.

So the way the use the invite buttons (specifically the “invite noble” in this case, because the standard agnatic or agnatic-cognatic feudal setup is assumed for familiarity's sake) is this:

• Find some nice piece of land that you want to keep in the family.
• Find some nice piece of family that you want to… well… keep in the family.
• Invite a noble and set up a matrilineal betrothal or marriage with the family member you want to keep around.
• Once accepted, hand off the land to the newly-spawned noble.

A few years down the line, you'll have a dynastic heir to the bit of land, and even more useless relatives that you can repeat the process with. Note the order here: first marriage, then land, otherwise the newly-minted baron (or whatever) will think themselves too good for the useless relative in general, and too good for matrilineal marriages in particular, so they'll just refuse and now you have only managed to introduce a useless noble on top of your useless relative.