Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Oxxidation posted:

if you got sexual assault from that then it's on you, not the game
I'm not sure there's too many ways to interpret what a trail of clothes leading to a bloody bed would mean. I'd be interested to hear what you thought was happening because at the moment I can only see that situation as sexual assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Oxxidation posted:

Mr Cat's dungeon is an extended Stranger Danger PSA

if you got sexual assault from that then it's on you, not the game

Both Mr. Cat's clothes and Cordelia's dress are in the hallway.

There's a giant blood smear leading from the white bed, with very little else in the dungeon being white.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Crumps Brother posted:

I'm not sure there's too many ways to interpret what a trail of clothes leading to a bloody bed would mean. I'd be interested to hear what you thought was happening because at the moment I can only see that situation as sexual assault.

at the time i was more focused on the closet and the fact that her dismembered body was probably in there. because cat and mouse.

oorochi's post about the predator analogue makes a better argument, but at the time i never even considered it because it would have been so incongruent with everything else the game showed thus far, which i guess agrees with grandmaparty's post about the subject

i still have a soft spot for mr cat's dungeon in general because "don't ever go with strangers" is one of those moral lessons that, when you're a kid, is fraught with especially grotesque and unsettling imagery and implications - all these little girls and boys climbing into dark vans and then they're never seen again, because our parents and teachers never bothered to tell us what happened next

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Oxxidation posted:

i still have a soft spot for mr cat's dungeon in general because "don't ever go with strangers" is one of those moral lessons that, when you're a kid, is fraught with especially grotesque and unsettling imagery and implications - all these little girls and boys climbing into dark vans and then they're never seen again, because our parents and teachers never bothered to tell us what happened next

Oh no, I'm totally on board. It's an amazing image and amazing dungeon.

I think it would have been much more in line with the game to have Cordelia strewn about the room.

Same implication of stranger danger. Same horriffic effect in line with what we've seen in the Wharf Dog. And that's what cats do.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I didn't make the sexual abuse connection until now. It wasn't obvious to me, at least. The first thing that comes to mind is how Jimmy knows about this topic to begin with, though it's for the best that things are kept as vague as it already is. The dungeon definitely does a good job of being really unsettling and the enemies encompass the creepy stranger vibe very well.

By the way, "Skin Thieves" is also the name of the theme that plays when characters talk about The Pulsating Mass.

This is the part of Jimmy where the game is explicitly spelling things out for you. We're supposed to take "the secret knowledge" (the cure for cancer) to the Central Hub, "the world's nerve center" (Jimmy's brain), so that "the Pulsating Mass" (Jimmy's cancer) doesn't make it there.

I miss when Drew Toothpaste was funny and not poisoned by Twitter.

The other dungeon is, I guess, Jimmy's fear of math getting harder for him. Imaginary Numbers is a completely random boss, there is no rhyme or reason to fighting it. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's not. I don't know what happens if you reach six turns without it glitching out, though.

When I get the Doctor's Bag, I never remove it from Helga. It significantly lowers her attack, but it makes healing more effective.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 15, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

get that OUT of my face posted:

This is the part of Jimmy where the game is explicitly spelling things out for you. We're supposed to take "the secret knowledge" (the cure for cancer) to the Central Hub, "the world's nerve center" (Jimmy's brain), so that "the Pulsating Mass" (Jimmy's cancer) doesn't make it there.

Yeah. It's going to get even more explicit when we get there next episode.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I didn't make the sexual abuse connection until now. It wasn't obvious to me, at least. The first thing that comes to mind is how Jimmy knows about this topic to begin with, though it's for the best that things are kept as vague as it already is. The dungeon definitely does a good job of being really unsettling and the enemies encompass the creepy stranger vibe very well.

It’s incongruous having an implied sexual element in what happened given that Jimmy is shown to think ‘adult fun time’ is hula-hooping.

One thought: he has seen enough stuff on TV to understand ‘naked and dead’ as a result of Stranger Danger without understanding the idea of sex really, which is a kind of depressing statement about the world.

Other thought: Jimmy has watched a million slasher flicks with Buck where a couple take off their clothes and make out, and then get killed by The Murderer. This is influencing the scene, maybe the whole dungeon?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I think without the clothes that scene would be sufficiently ambiguous to read as a "strangers will steal you away, nowhere is safe" nightmare, the clothing makes it a lot harder to read without sexual undertones.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ayndin posted:

It’s incongruous having an implied sexual element in what happened given that Jimmy is shown to think ‘adult fun time’ is hula-hooping.

One thought: he has seen enough stuff on TV to understand ‘naked and dead’ as a result of Stranger Danger without understanding the idea of sex really, which is a kind of depressing statement about the world.

Other thought: Jimmy has watched a million slasher flicks with Buck where a couple take off their clothes and make out, and then get killed by The Murderer. This is influencing the scene, maybe the whole dungeon?
It could have been a classmate or friend that Jimmy knew, but I choose not to believe that. Some things are best left unsaid and open to interpretation.

I mentioned the enemies here really encompass the "stranger danger" vibe very well. Perhaps too well, though I was high as hell while watching that episode.

Mr. Cat is one of the harder optional fights in the game. All of his attacks hit hard and, as you mentioned, he loses the one-turn warmup when you get his health low. The reward is worth it.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 15, 2019

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The other dungeon is, I guess, Jimmy's fear of math getting harder for him. Imaginary Numbers is a completely random boss, there is no rhyme or reason to fighting it. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's not. I don't know what happens if you reach six turns without it glitching out, though.

So much of that looked to me like Jimmy's fears around literacy. Random shapes and squiggles that almost kind of look like things but nothing sensical and nothing that relates to what they are or do; it's how he interprets letters. I was reading it as him seeing letters as weird numbers that you can't do any logic to. Jimmy knows numbers, really well, and learning his letters shouldn't harder than learning his numbers so why can't he do it? Add on that an eight year old is expected to be able to read reasonably well at school - remember the spelling bee in the VN section? - and it makes a lot of sense to me as a nightmare dungeon.

But I suppose equally it could be a fear of hitting a wall with maths as hard as he did with english, and that Imaginary Numbers is named for the actual concept of imaginary numbers that he's heard of as "a kind of number you can't understand yet".

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I suppose Jimmy really does not like algebra. Jimmy also seems to have a hard time reading things in the dream, yet several signs and billboards are completely legible. I figured maybe he has some kind of dyslexia, but who knows really.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
WRT the math dungeon, I honestly don't think that necessarily all of the secret dungeons represent anything so concrete as one of Jimmy's fears. Some of them just feel like nightmares. Nightmares don't always make sense, they don't always map to things that you fear will happen. Sometimes they're just terrifying reflections of things from your day-to-day life.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I agree that Mr Cat’s dungeon doesn’t entirely fit in. It could be that it’s straight up the plot to “the Skin Thieves”, which sounds like one of the movies Buck showed Jimmy and is referenced in a number of places, but frankly it actually feels too subtle for the sort of movie Buck would be watching.

Strewn body parts would have made it fit in more with the theme of being Jimmy’s nightmare, but would have lessened the impact of the scene. I don’t know what the right fix would be. Maybe don’t have Cordelia’s clothes and have a blood trail from the door to the dresser rather than from the bed.

Also, you missed checking out Mrs Mouse’s room in the nightmare. It’s interesting.

I do think that the crazy numbers dungeon represents Jimmy’s troubles with very advanced math. We know that he’s very good at math for an 8 year old - he has a trivial time with multiplication, fractions, and so on - but we also know that he’s not good enough at math for Andrew. Many of the enemies are unintelligible, and I think that’s also a reference to Andrew - think about when he uses fake words, which are clearly real words that Jimmy doesn’t understand. I think the same thing is going on with the parallelocones and stuff.

The transition to the boss is really cool.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 16, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

I went back into the dungeon to snag a picture of Ms. Mouse's room.

LOOK AT THAT LITTLE BITTY CORDELIA MOUSE.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Qrr posted:

I agree that Mr Cat’s dungeon doesn’t entirely fit in. It could be that it’s straight up the plot to “the Skin Thieves”, which sounds like one of the movies Buck showed Jimmy and is referenced in a number of places, but frankly it actually feels too subtle for the sort of movie Buck would be watching.
The graffiti in the hallway mentions "skin thieves" so that might be it.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I grinded a shitload to facilitate fighting Mr. Cat not too long after entering Secret Meridian, and while it made said hub a breeze for a while it still probably wasn't worth it. You just can't drop something urgent like that even if how long you take to get through the dungeon doesn't matter.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Requesting a trip report on the boiled egg.

The shadow demons are a real cool enemy design only getting glimpse of their true form due to how the UI works is A+

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

GrandmaParty posted:

I went back into the dungeon to snag a picture of Ms. Mouse's room.

LOOK AT THAT LITTLE BITTY CORDELIA MOUSE.

I don't think that's Cordelia.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Solitair posted:

I don't think that's Cordelia.

yeah that is pretty definitely not Cordelia.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Then who is it smartboys :colbert:

Bikindok
May 3, 2012

The graffiti in the hallway mentions "skin thieves" so that might be it.
'The Skin Thieves' is also the name of the song that plays whenever The Mass is around, so it's definitely a recurring phrase.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

GrandmaParty posted:

Then who is it smartboys :colbert:

It's never stated outright, but Mrs. Mouse had another daughter who died in infancy. There's another grave next to Cordelia's, and it's been there the entire game. Her death was also the catalyst for Mr. Mouse running out on the family; it was alluded to when Timothy confronted him, and in a mirror in Ashby's you can see Mr. Mouse breaking down crying in a toy store. The baby's presence in Mr. Cat's dungeon implies that maybe he had something to do with it?

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Solitair posted:

It's never stated outright, but Mrs. Mouse had another daughter who died in infancy. There's another grave next to Cordelia's, and it's been there the entire game. Her death was also the catalyst for Mr. Mouse running out on the family; it was alluded to when Timothy confronted him, and in a mirror in Ashby's you can see Mr. Mouse breaking down crying in a toy store. The baby's presence in Mr. Cat's dungeon implies that maybe he had something to do with it?

specifically, he breaks down crying over the doll that's very pointedly sitting in the corner of that shot. the overall implication IMO is that this is just before that shadowy figure kills her, as another example of the danger represented by strangers.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

Solitair posted:

Huh, for whatever reason I never made the connection that it was Mr. Mouse in the mirror. It would be pretty terrible if the Mouses had lost multiple children to others's malice.

Regardless, that baby mouse is adorable.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I totally didn't make that connection. Holy crap.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
You can see what's in the grave using flower's ability

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Jimmy is definitely dyslexic and the numbers dungeon is him having issue with numbers in advanced math. When you get to the chest room, instead of it being chaotic scribbles on the walls, it's the numbers 0-9, finally ordered. He doesn't fully understand math but he's figuring out enough that it is beginning to make sense. One more personal demon conquered.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I might mention

It gets really tiring how every kid protagonist either knows no math and doesn't need to or is a brilliant genius who never struggles. Someone who stuggles and burns out, who has natural talents but isn't magic, never really gets represented.
A lot of people have the notion that if you had talent the only way you can fail at anything is if you never really wanted it.
Jimmy having no fear or problem with basic arithmatic and being smart, but also being pushed to hard and having limits, is a very real situation. That he has that and a colorful imagination and empathy makes him even more special.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

thecluckmeme posted:

Jimmy is definitely dyslexic and the numbers dungeon is him having issue with numbers in advanced math. When you get to the chest room, instead of it being chaotic scribbles on the walls, it's the numbers 0-9, finally ordered. He doesn't fully understand math but he's figuring out enough that it is beginning to make sense. One more personal demon conquered.

it's likely that jimmy's especially afraid of hitting a ceiling in math because of his dyslexia - he didn't have any hope of learning his letters in the first place, but if he can't do math either then what's the point of him?

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Asymmetrical Cave might be my favorite thing in the game because it is 100% academic terror. When your self worth is tied to your performance and you're panicking during a test and you're grasping desperately around your brain for an answer, any answer to fill in that blank. The image of the figure reaching into its own skull trying to pull out an answer will never leave me.

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

Hemingway To Go! posted:

You can see what's in the grave using flower's ability

Not related to anything in the most recent video but if Grandma goes back to look at stuff I recommend using vampire on the mirror in Punch's tent back in the wilted lands

(I dont think that's been done already has it?)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Kad posted:

Not related to anything in the most recent video but if Grandma goes back to look at stuff I recommend using vampire on the mirror in Punch's tent back in the wilted lands

(I dont think that's been done already has it?)

We're going back to Homeflower soon enough and it's close by.. Someone likes rules and I'm gonna show him who's punk rock.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Man, I had to stop playing the game for a bit after the Mr. Cat nightmare dungeon. I feel that it more tried to capture the essence of something horrible happening to someone that you care about rather than just making you hate the person who did it (especially since the game has you discover it after you beat the guy rather than treating as a motivation to beat him), but the imagery went too far.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Anyway, I have to commemorate my appearance in the LP proper with another exercise in listing things.

Edit: Also, here's some info about our final two party members:

Punch Tanaka
Punch is really cool and owns a bunch of motorcycles. I've never ridden on one. Maybe he'll let me!
Personality: Shifty. The streets rub off on you, you know. Increased steal rate.
Tanakarate:
Counter Stance (3 MP): A technique learned from training as a monk. Counter physical attacks for 300% physical damage.
Called Shot (10 MP): A little trick picked up in the pool halls. The next attack does double damage.
Shakedown (5 MP): You can't take the street out of the thug. Steal from the enemy and deal 100% physical damage.
Mag Combo (15 MP): Perform a magnificent combo! 300% physical damage. Two-turn cooldown.

Hitomi
Hitomi is like a girl in a show Uncle Lars watches with me. She's different cause her hair is purple.
Personality: Fashionable. If you're not up on the latest trends, you're miserable. Gain access to a third trinket slot.
Moon Karate:
Protect and Lovely (8 MP) Create a wall of magic energy. Reflect enemy magic for one turn.
Milky Way Fists (15 MP): These fists defend the universe! 300% physical damage, Two-turn cooldown.
L.M. Starshine (15 MP): Magical Girl Technique: Love Magic! Starshine! 400% magical damage. Two-turn cooldown.
Magical Heartbeat (20 MP): Amass your life energy in preparation for the next attack. Resets cooldowns; eight-turn cooldown; instant.

Shinryu Academy Enemies
If No-Goodnick acts too cool for the fight, he will rampage next turn, hitting twice for 150% each time.
No-Goodnick gets into fights because he has really controlling parents. Sometimes, he reads comic books, and, when no one is watching, he pretends to be a superhero.

Catty Schoolgirl can spread hurtful rumors about you, Unmotivating the party. If she bats her eyelashes, Jimmy will become Afraid, and on her next turn she'll slap a party member for 300% physical damage.
Catty Schoolgirl was overweight in elementary school. Everyone made fun of her, so she's reflexively mean now. In her spare time, she enjoys fashion and wants to be a pop idol.

The male Shadow Warrior can call upon darkness, dealing magical damage to the whole party. If he absorbs darkness, he will heal 10% of his current HP, and the next turn he will either rampage for three hits of 150% physical damage, or call darkness for 400% magical damage to one party member. The female Shadow Warrior can cut a party member's energy and reduce their MP by 10%. If she absorbs darkness, she'll heal 10% of her current HP, and cut a party member's MP in half the next turn. She can also fire a wave of negative energy, hitting the party for 50% physical damage and inflicting Startled and Unmotivated, but she can only do this once before she needs to recharge it by absorbing darkness.
Shadow Warriors float through the waves generated from a black hole until they inhabit the bodies of unsuspecting people on Earth.

Halls of Greed/Dark Dungeon Enemy
The Mimic is found when you open the wrong chests in the Halls of Greed or Dark Dungeon, with highly variable stats depending on how far you are in Dark Dungeon, or how many debuff boxes you've opened in the Halls of Greed. If it watches you, it will either charge in a flurry of teeth, hitting three times for 150% physical damage, or chomp down hard and spit out what's left, killing a party member.
Mimics might look like toy chests to you, but other people might see them as treasure chests, mail boxes, or packages from online retailers. They're actually vicious creatures that emit mind-altering brainwaves so they can trick their prey into coming closer.

Accelerated Dynamics Enemies
Yesman can attack on his own, and agree with other enemies, following up their attacks with an additional attack.
Yesmen come from the floor below. You'll never expect them, and, when they're around, you'll never be challenged.

Secretary can Motivate the enemy party with a speech, and brew coffee to make the enemy party Hyper. You can steal Coffee from her to Motivate the party, as well as a Coffee Maker.
While the Secretary doesn't get sufficiently paid, she remains chipper, probably because of her infinite supply of caffeine.

Corporate Drone can steal 20 MP from a party member. You can steal $800 from him.
The Corporate Drone took self-defense classes after Mike from sales stole all of his leads.

Prototype can slam into a party member for 150% physical damage and fire a laser for magical damage. It can also fire rockets, dealing 300% physical damage to all party embers, but must spend a turn reloading them before firing again. If it flashes a warning light, it will chomp down hard and spit out what's left next turn, killing a party member.
I've heard that Accelerated Dynamics has a working Prototype for some new-fangled thing, but they keep that information locked down. Maybe you know more about it than I do.

Tetsuya Kawaii Enemies
The foes encountered here will also be found on Floors 21-25 in Dark Dungeon. Vendotron, Lucky Neko and Yesman can be found here, as well as:
Number One Mascot can hug a party member, Grasping them for two turns. It cannot act while Grasping. You can steal its costume to change its attacks and lower its defenses. Without the costume, it can hock up something gross and make a party member Sick.
Gero is the Number One Mascot for Tetsuya Kawaii. He has many exciting adventures!

Robo-Chan will build up courage, and explode the next turn, dealing its current HP as magical damage to one party member and killing itself. You can steal a Strawberry Bomb from it.
Robo-Chan wasn't supposed to explode; it's just a defective toy that was mass-produced, anyway, in order to appease the shareholders.

Asymmetrical Cavern Enemies
Rorschach will change its form at the end of each turn, which also changes its attacks. In its first form, it will evade all physical attacks and use weird mind powers to deal magical damage and Startle a party member. In its second form, it will apply first aid to the enemy party, healing them for 25% of their max HP. In its third form, it will bite hard and deal 300% physical damage to one party member. In its fourth form, it will reflect all magical attacks, but otherwise do nothing. In its fifth form, it will counter all physical attacks, have an increased ATK stat and use a regular attack on one party member.
Rorschach cycles between multiple forms to confuse its prey before striking. Although it does inhabit a physical space, its true form is still a mystery.

Spiraloid will attack your MP. You can steal an Edge from it, after which it will have a high chance to glitch out and waste its turn.
It's said that anyone who stares too long at a Spiraloid will go insane.

Lumpagon will attack with RNG, dealing 1-400 damage to one party member.
Lumpagons have been known to wriggle through the dimensional barrier between worlds and show up on unsuspecting students' geometry tests.

If Squiggles calculates, it will either glitch out and damage itself next turn or give a party member a Weakpoint, tripling the damage the next attack will deal to them.
Squiggles are constantly changing, so they never form a distinct shape.

Parallelocone will fire a 138 at a party member, dealing that much damage to them.
Parallelocones operate on another dimensional plane. When we observe them, they are warped and incomprehensible.

Mr. Cat's Lair Enemies
If Greep watches you, it will breathe on the party and inflict Sleep on them.
Greeps inhabit the liminal space between the waking world and the world of nightmares.

Gallows will watch you, then chomp down hard and spit out what's left next turn, killing a party member. You can steal an Uncomfortable Couch from it.
Gallows thinks its funny to mimic your shadow, so if you notice that you have two shadows, you might not be long for this world.

Thirteen can attack a party member with magical damage or give them a Weakpoint. If it watches you, it will attack the entire party magically the next turn.
Thirteen comes from a universe ruled by the God of Crawling Eyes. The few people who have seen him are often haunted by terrifying visions for the rest of their lives.

Thurgood will watch you, then cause a tremor and deal 250% physical damage to the entire party next turn.
Thurgood's horrifying strength can peel bedroom walls aside like paper.

If Saturday watches you, it will attack three times next turn.
Saturday mewls all night long. It laps up depression like a bowl of cream.

Bosses
Principal Pulsating Mass can attack for physical damage, fire a laser for magical damage, and release negative energy to deal 50% physical damage to all party members and inflict Unmotivated and Startled. It can also absorb darkness, healing itself for 10% of its current MP. The turn after absorbing darkness, it will either deal 400% magical damage to one party member or rampage for two hits of 150% physical damage. It is accompanied by six brain bats, which will buff him and debuff the party at the start of each round.
-Brain Bat A will drain 10% of the party's MP, and has 50% magic resistance.
-Brain Bat B will Extend the principal's attacks, causing all single-target attacks to hit the entire party. It will counter all physical attacks, and has a high ATK stat.
-Brain Bat C will make the principal Invulnerable to physical attacks. It has 50% physical and magical resistance, but is weak against Holy attacks.
-Brain Bat D will make the principal Reflect all magical attacks. It will also reflect all magical attacks itself.
-Brain Bat E will Analyze a party member and give them a Weakpoint. It has 50% physical resistance.
-Brain Bat F will Alert the principal and make it immune to Startling.
(Sprites for other Brain Bats not found.)

The Golden King has four Treasures to steal, each of which will lower its defenses, add more attacks to its move list, increase the monetary reward for defeating it (multiplied depending on how many ruby chests you found in the Halls), and build Miasma, draining 5% of the party's max HP every turn for every Treasure stolen. It will also completely heal itself every time a Treasure is stolen.
-With no treasures stolen, the Golden King will do nothing and give no money.
-With one treasure stolen, the Golden King can now absorb darkness, healing 10% of its current HP, and will release negative energy the next turn, dealing magical damage and Withering to one party member. It will give up $2,500-$5,000 after it dies.
-With two treasures stolen, the Golden King can now wrap tentacles around a party member, Grasping them for three turns and dealing physical damage to them every turn. Startling will end this early. It will give up $7,500-$15,000 after it dies.
-With three treasures stolen, the Golden King's negative energy attack will now hit all party members, and can now use a normal attack and use delta waves to Mind Control a party member. Startling will also end this early. If it watches you, it will whip its tentacles twice for 150% physical damage each time. It will give up $15,000-$30,000 after it dies.
-With all four treasures stolen, the Golden King's tentacle whip will now hit four times, and can now spit Acid, burning a party member to deal 25% of their max HP in magical damage over three turns. If it watches you, it can also vomit Sick on all party members instead of whipping its tentacles. It will give up $25,000-$50,000 after it dies.
(Sprites for intermediate forms not found.)

Mr. Grouse's ATK is displayed by an interest counter on the left side of the screen, which starts at 100 and will increase by 20% each turn. His Personal Computer is immune to all damage, but attacking it will cause the interest counter to decrease. Mr. Grouse can steal 20 MP from a party member, raise an MP tax to make your skills cost four times as much MP, and add about 50 points to his interest counter. If he's stolen MP at least five times, he can spend it all to deal physical damage with a multiplier of 1/5th the MP spent. If his interest counter is at least 240, he can spend 100 interest to deal 200% physical damage to the party.

Buck can bully you to deal 150% physical damage and screech to deal 50% physical damage and Startle the party without triggering any counter abilities. If his skin writhes and pulses, he will rampage next turn, hitting four times for 150% physical damage each. If he grits his teeth while his body shakes in pain, Jimmy and Lars will become Heartbroken, skipping their next turn, during which Buck will Mag Combo a party member for 300% physical damage. At 50% HP, he will start to take flight, becoming immune to physical damage and switching his attacks. While flying, he can still screech, and use darkness to deal magical damage to the party. If his skin writhes and pulses, he will use negative energy to deal 300% magical damage to the party. After about five turns, Buck will slam into the party, dealing 200% physical damage to the party and Startling them, after which he'll revert to his first phase. At 25% HP, he will begin absorbing energy, taking twice as much damage from physical attacks and becoming immune to magical and holy attacks. He will absorb energy for at least one more turn, after which he will fire a cannon to deal 400% magical damage to the entire party, multiplied by how many turns he absorbed energy.

Imaginary Numbers has a 30% chance to counter all physical attacks, a 30% chance to dodge all physical attacks, and a 30% chance to reflect all magical attacks. It has a strict pattern that it follows unless it glitches out, damaging itself and starting the pattern over.
-For its first action, it can deal physical or magical damage, fire a 138, space out, make an error attack to deal physical damage with the party member's HP substituting for its DEF stat, or feint to deal 50% physical damage and Startle a party member.
-For its second action, it can leech health from a party member, spit Sick on all party members, palm slap the party for physical damage, or attack a party member's MP.
-For its third action, it can conjure a thunderstorm to deal magical damage and Startle the party, give a party member a Weakpoint, or attack with a 0-350 random number generator.
-For its fourth action, it can rampage for three hits of 150% physical damage, or make an error attack which substitute's the target's ATK stat for the boss's.
-For its fifth action, it will make an error attack, substituting its attack stat with the target's HP.
-For its final action, Imaginary Numbers will execute Program Omega, dealing 400% physical damage to the party. It will repeat Program Omega until it glitches out.

Mr. Cat will watch you every other turn, doing nothing, until it gets to 45% HP, at which point he will spend a turn yowling in pain and attack every turn from that point on. He can hit the party with a tremor for 250% physical damage, chomp down hard and kill a party member, attack three times, breathe Sleep breath on the party, use darkness to damage the party magically, or scratch with diseased claws to damage and Sicken the party. His ATK and MAT stats are unusually high compared to his HP and the level of his dungeon's normal enemies.

FURNITURE UPDATE
Girly Set (???)
-Coffee Maker (+2 AGI): Helga drinks three cups every morning. Steal from Secretary in Accelerated Dynamics.
-Dolly (+2 MAT): Sometimes its head turns to follow your movement. Steal from Dolly in Whispering Valley/Turnbuckle's Mansion.
-Beach Ball (+2 LUK): C-could you g-get this one, Punch? Steal from the Beach Babe with the hula hoop in Bonita Vista.
-High-Heel Shoe (+2 ATK): Super fashionable, super expensive. Steal from Goblin Thief in west King's March.
-???

Creepy Set (???)
-Pumpkin TV (+2 MAT): Only shows footage of screeching ghouls. Steal from Goblin Warlock in east and south King's March.
-Coffin (+2 DEF): Smells like WAY too much perfume. Steal from Romancipires in the romance section of The World's Library.
-Bat Chair (+2 AGI): Capable of flight and echolocation. Steal from Skreet in Grimclaw's Nest.
-Uncomfortable Couch (+2 MDF): Seriously, who would sit on this? Steal from Gallows in Mr. Cat's Lair.
-???

Fruity Set (???)
-Apple Clock (+2 MAT): Daily alarm reminds you to eat an apple. Steal from Goblin in north King's March.
-Watermelon Fridge (+2 DEF): Big enough to fit several watermelons, actually. Steal from Goblin Cleric in west King's March.
-Strawberry Bomb (+2 AGI): Blows up the room with sweet goodness. Steal from Robo-Chan in Tetsuya Kawaii.
-Pineapple Drawers (+2 ATK): A little too prickly; Smells tropical. Steal from Goblin Knight in Castle Dragon.
-???

Geometric Set (???)
-Cube (+3 DEF): What does it do? Why is it here? Found in Symmetrical Cavern.
-Pyramid (+3 MAT): Complete with a tiny pharaoh inside. Found in The World's Library, through the Sneaky Lincoln door.
-Happiness Sphere (+3 LUK): Constantly says, "You will be happy." Found in Temple of Sight.
-Ink Blot (+3 ATK): Reveals your psyche. Found in Asymmetrical Cavern.
-???
-???

Modern Set (???)
-Elegant Ice Swan (+3 DEF): Somehow doesn't melt. Buy from the Shinryu furniture store.
-Skyscraper (+3 ATK): This detailed model was used for city planning. Found in Accelerated Dynamics.
-Sculpture (+3 LUK): Don't look at the price tag... Found in the Land of Fish.
-Plasma Television (+3 MAT): You can't change the channel. Where's the remote? Buy from the Shinryu arcade.
-???
-???

Other
-Slab of Beef (+4 ATK): Unsanitary! Found in Slither's Burrow.
-Bookshelf (+4 MAT): Filled with lengthy books that are hard to read. Found in The World's Library.
-Framed Butterfly (+4 MDF): The butterfly is fastened inside by a few pins. Found in the Halls of Greed.
-Dice (+4 LUK): Giant novelty dice used for giant novelty yahtzee. Buy from the Shinryu arcade.
-Pet Turtle (+4 DEF): You'll need at least one more for a proper stack. Found in Mr. Cat's Lair.
-Bronze Jimmy (Counts toward completion of every common set): It's you... only bronze! Talk to sobbing girl after defeating the undead Beach Babe.

Would you like me to repeat that?

Solitair fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 19, 2019

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Mr Cat's dungeon definitely does a good job visually, and nails the stranger danger tone. Ultimately I agree that the implied sexual assault was unnecessary, for similar though slightly different reasons.

I agree fully that Jimmy is way too young to be able to understand any of this, and there is no reason to believe he would've been exposed to it. It's out of place for what the mind of an eight year old should be, even including nightmares.

Additionally, there isn't a point to the implications. Cordelia is dead, and we only find that out after the boss. Like Grandma mentioned, the only thing the implications serves to do is increase our disgust of an already dead boss. I think it would've been an equally dark turn, but at least more "meaningful" if Cordelia survived her encounter and you saw what it did to her and her family. Jimmy wouldn't have understood the situation anyway, so it could have been framed as a fear of strangers hurting those you care about, and not being able to do anything to help your friends afterwards.

Again, even that would be needlessly dark and out of place. I agree that you probably could've done without the whole thing, rather than try to "fix" it. I don't think these kind of scenes never work in any medium, but there really wasn't enough build up for it to make sense. We didn't have any reason to suspect Mr Cat would do that, even if we put together that he was a bad guy. There was no suspicion or looming dread, it was just a terrible thing that happened for seemingly no reason.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Random_Username posted:

=
Additionally, there isn't a point to the implications. Cordelia is dead, and we only find that out after the boss. Like Grandma mentioned, the only thing the implications serves to do is increase our disgust of an already dead boss. I think it would've been an equally dark turn, but at least more "meaningful" if Cordelia survived her encounter and you saw what it did to her and her family. Jimmy wouldn't have understood the situation anyway, so it could have been framed as a fear of strangers hurting those you care about, and not being able to do anything to help your friends afterwards.

I actually think Cordelia's death is necessary to the overall plot to reinforce the ideas of what Jimmy knows about death.

Seeing the empathy descriptions are ok but having a visual representation of it hit that much harder for me. He knows people go in the ground and he knows people will weep and...

Man. This game is rough.

Spoiler for upcoming episode:

I rethink my position on lingering death as part of this :/

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 18, 2019

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Random_Username posted:

There was no suspicion or looming dread, it was just a terrible thing that happened for seemingly no reason.

That seems like a fairly appropriate bit for pondering for someone in Jimmy's position to be doing :smith:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Solitair posted:

It's actually directly mentioned much, much later in the game, but that's a long way from now.

GrandmaParty posted:

I actually think Cordelia's death is necessary to the overall plot to reinforce the ideas of what Jimmy knows about death.

Seeing the empathy descriptions are ok but having a visual representation of it hit that much harder for me. He knows people go in the ground and he knows people will weep and...

Man. This game is rough.
I can't blame anyone who stops playing after figuring out the twist. It's more heartbreaking than something like Mother 3 or LISA because it's an actual thing that can and does happen in real life. As tough as it was for childless me, it's definitely much harder on someone who's already a parent.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

I can't blame anyone who stops playing after figuring out the twist. It's more heartbreaking than something like Mother 3 or LISA because it's an actual thing that can and does happen in real life. As tough as it was for childless me, it's definitely much harder on someone who's already a parent.

Yeah. Unfortunately there's a ton of people who won't play it because it's sad. And I get it. It makes me sad, too. But sometimes it's about the journey.

We already know how Sophie's choice goes.

You pick the good one, Sophie. You pick the good one.

Also, I went back and tried to shake Rubik in Central Hub. You cannot shake Rubik in Central Hub. All is well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 31 is up!

Deadman's Tea Party waited patiently to join me. And he has been honing his craft. Which is why I have to bust this thing out again.

I hate all of you.

So now we're back to plot. And at this point in time, the game decides to take a detour into fun before poo poo gets real again.

Real obvious, suckers. Where there's been heavy hinting to this point in time, Kasey has decided to be very explicit.

But my feelings are no less crushed :(

Commentary On

No Commentary