Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That's where I find I win vs shooting heavy armies. When the opponent makes a mistake, like castling.

The playstyle is of one that you need to be able to spot and capitalize on opponent's mistakes, as opposed to just targeting based on threat level. Mistakes are hard to come by the better your opponent is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Floppychop posted:

I also play a full knight list and a list that's Sisters and Scions regularly. They're all pure shooting and they're just way easier to play.

My Sisters and Scions list is even a glass cannon list with and effective range of <12" and it's just easier to play.

Turns out having one's main source of damage being dependent on charge rolls and overwatch rolls isn't consistent.

If you're playing Knights and it's "pure shooting" you must not be very good at playing Knights.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a fond memory of my three crisis suits throwing themselves, bodily, at a hive tyrant, in a vain attempt to strip it of its final wound.

They succeeded but due to the opponent rolling three ones in a row :v:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Corrode posted:

If you're playing Knights and it's "pure shooting" you must not be very good at playing Knights.

I use all shooty knights for casual games, people have a hard enough time with that. Gallant with Paragon Gauntlet is for when the gloves come off.

Yeah, there are stomp attacks, but it's not my primary goal. Usually it's march up the field, shoot at the anti-armor stuff, then charge the frontline if it's within 12".

Helverins are also absolute trash in melee.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Got a test marine going on.

Should I hit the edges of the shoulder pads with gold maybe? Not sure how to wash the boltgun either, though highlights with Ushabti Bone are planned.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Deleter posted:

Got a test marine going on.

Should I hit the edges of the shoulder pads with gold maybe? Not sure how to wash the boltgun either, though highlights with Ushabti Bone are planned.

Personally I would try making the base of the pads silver and leaving the rim blue. I'm not really a fan of the color you chose for the boltgun. Something like a black might tie everything together a bit better.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

...Something like a black might tie everything together a bit better.

Seconding this. I'm imagining a dark gunmetal or grey/black trim to make the silver 'pop' more.

Genuinely like the blue/silver combination!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
There's at least one site out there where you can paint by numbers a marine to test out schemes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm so happy with how this guy is turning out. Can't wait to "finish" him tomorrow night and start adding some friends.

E: I also think this is the most metal thing I've ever painted.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The lightning and Reiver helmet does a lot to make him look metal af yeah.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

For_Great_Justice posted:

Somethings can get a charge turn 1 but that is more the exception than the rule to be fair.

You could jump a pile of boyz but without support buffs they're not the strongest of attacks.

On a good day I can get a chaos lord an unit of warp talons to deep strike an charge with the raptorial trait giving me 2" of movement but that is rarely going to carry the day. Anything they don't touch lights them up after.

Deep striking Abbadon with terminators with plasma, prescience, an the endless cacophony yields better and more consistant results.

Not impossible to run melee but its still random charge range. Roll for distance to over watch and I'll call it even.
While I'm sure the Warp Talon meta is just around the corner, 30 evil sunz ork boys (with a PK nob) that are da jumped have to make a 8" charge with both dice rerollable, once they get into combat they are one of the most point efficient and scariest melee threats in the entire game. It's fine to level criticism about the way GW handles melee units in general but you picked a horrible example to make your point.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Irate Tree posted:

I have a fond memory of my three crisis suits throwing themselves, bodily, at a hive tyrant, in a vain attempt to strip it of its final wound.

Last minute desperate charges by definitely-not-melee units at the 11th hour are unironically one of my favorite things in the game

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JBP posted:

I'm so happy with how this guy is turning out. Can't wait to "finish" him tomorrow night and start adding some friends.

E: I also think this is the most metal thing I've ever painted.

This owns. I don't know if you intentionally decided to only do lightning down one side but you should keep doing it.

What color did you paint the cape? A contrast red or electric blue would own.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Irate Tree posted:

My favorite 40k moment (which is actually tied) ever was way back in 4th or 5th edition. My friend charged his Karsrkin Sgt. with a power sword into my unit of TH/SS terminators that had 2 guys left. He swung first, hit twice and wounded twice. I rolled my saves...snake eyes.

The other moment it's tied with is when my friend found out the monolith could just suck units in through it's door.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

LightReaper posted:

While I'm sure the Warp Talon meta is just around the corner, 30 evil sunz ork boys (with a PK nob) that are da jumped have to make a 8" charge with both dice rerollable, once they get into combat they are one of the most point efficient and scariest melee threats in the entire game. It's fine to level criticism about the way GW handles melee units in general but you picked a horrible example to make your point.

:allears:

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Floppychop posted:

Gallant with Paragon Gauntlet is for when the gloves come off.

But I thought the glove was going on.

Giant Isopod posted:

Last minute desperate charges by definitely-not-melee units at the 11th hour are unironically one of my favorite things in the game

One of my favorite moments from an otherwise god awful game was when the very last roll of the game was my opponent failing his Disgustingly Resilient on Mortarion's last wound and he ended up being splattered across the windshield of a Ravenwing Darkshroud.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I wrote some words and took some photos for my Adeptus Mechanicus army showcase on Goonhammer.

https://www.goonhammer.com/army-showcase-andrews-adeptus-mechanicus/

If you enjoy Cawl, beepboops, or radiation, then I suggest you read these words. They're good words.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
Enough about the AdMech, let's talk about how you got that color of ruins behind Cawl.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

nite_moogle posted:

Enough about the AdMech, let's talk about how you got that color of ruins behind Cawl.

Prime with Zandri Dust spray. Drybrush with Ushabti Bone. Wash with Agrax Earthshade. Light drybrush with Screaming Skull. Easy peasy.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
"Please help me. I want to start a Primaris army, despite never playing, and not having ever finished a single space marine I already have."

... *clicks "Buy it now" on a cheap set of Shadwospear infiltrators.*

"Noooooooo!"

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Failson posted:

"Please help me. I want to start a Primaris army, despite never playing, and not having ever finished a single space marine I already have."

... *clicks "Buy it now" on a cheap set of Shadwospear infiltrators.*

"Noooooooo!"

One of us! One of us!

The journey of ten thousand points begins with the first mans.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

dexefiend posted:

One of us! One of us!

Those are wonderful

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

dexefiend posted:

One of us! One of us!

Hello Falchion bro :hfive:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

One of us! One of us!

This was worth the wait. Good work, dude.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This owns. I don't know if you intentionally decided to only do lightning down one side but you should keep doing it.

What color did you paint the cape? A contrast red or electric blue would own.

Thanks! Yeah the lightning is intentional and I'm going to do it across the army. I wanted the cape dark and it's got purples and reds through it

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Never played before. Just purchased because they look cool.

Now to spend 300 dollars on Kroot Dogs so I can have a swarm of assholes and also some robots.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gross anime dave is a nerd

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

No dogs are cool!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Anidav posted:

Now to spend 300 dollars on Kroot Dogs so I can have a swarm of assholes and also some robots.

We all love Tau

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

TheBigAristotle posted:

We all love Tau

I don't :mad:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Welcome! And may your glue never spill, and may your paints always be thinned.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Hello Falchion bro :hfive:

Wow, that's a great job on the white.

JBP posted:

Thanks! Yeah the lightning is intentional and I'm going to do it across the army. I wanted the cape dark and it's got purples and reds through it

I like where that's going.

dexefiend posted:

One of us! One of us!

Thank you.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Well originally someone at the comic store said I should go necrons and then another random dude approached and said I should go imperial guard and then basically 5 nerds were arguing with each other over what faction I should pick so I just kind of picked something and walked out of there while they were still arguing about it.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Anidav posted:

Well originally someone at the comic store said I should go necrons and then another random dude approached and said I should go imperial guard and then basically 5 nerds were arguing with each other over what faction I should pick so I just kind of picked something and walked out of there while they were still arguing about it.

The way I chose mine was to find somebody whose fluff I liked and looked cool and that worked well for me. People who pick their factions based on game effectiveness, in my experience at least, have less fun with it and get significantly more butthurt when any kind of rules change or update happens.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I finished painting a thing, real happy with how it came out. I think i've finally nailed down how I want to paint the rest of my death guard. Feedback always welcome!

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 15, 2019

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

They all agreed on not picking Orks, because apparently "Swarm Orks" are cancer in 8th Ed, whatever that means?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Play what you want to paint. gently caress the haters.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

To be fair, I find a full Ork boy mob (150+ boyz) great to see on the table, but miserable to play with or against.

But this is the correct answer:

dexefiend posted:

Play what you want to paint. gently caress the haters.

You'll be buying, assembling, and painting the models. Pick what you think looks cool.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

fuuuuuck these kinds of people

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Deified Data posted:

fuuuuuck these kinds of people

It just sounds like they were having fun talking hams.

Dave you should have picked space marines. You idiot. You imbecile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Anidav posted:

They all agreed on not picking Orks, because apparently "Swarm Orks" are cancer in 8th Ed, whatever that means?

They’re ok. They’re just like any other decent list in that you’re either ready for it and can have a good battle or you’re not and they roll you over. They’re certainly not dominating the competitive field or anything.

Tau can be fun, and you’ve chosen Kroot to come along so that’s already deviating from the Tau castle list most people anger people with.