Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I started playing this on an emulator also but apparently theres some shrines that are really hard to do without the motion controls?

there was one that was a pain in the rear end marble maze puzzle, and the erudite approach was just to flip the console over entirely and use the maze the swat the ball. that might be difficult without gyroscopes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I was just reminded of this one; House of the Dying Sun. If Homeworld was a space shooter, it would this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56fCuO7JEy4

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Surprised only one person has mentioned Portal, especially Portal 2. Those games completely engrossed me in their world.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Elemental Gimmick Gear (an arpg for Dreamcast) is another forgotten gem with a unique look, the hand drawn graphics and coloring are really beautiful. Still one of the nicest looking (mostly) 2d games ever made imo

so much excellent art went into this awesome game that no one played

also I will never not crack a smile when I see the hudsonsoft logo

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

free hubcaps posted:

Elemental Gimmick Gear (an arpg for Dreamcast) is another forgotten gem with a unique look, the hand drawn graphics and coloring are really beautiful. Still one of the nicest looking (mostly) 2d games ever made imo

so much excellent art went into this awesome game that no one played

also I will never not crack a smile when I see the hudsonsoft logo

Wow I love this ty

E: looks like they forgot the ring on the 4th pic tho

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Cubone posted:

just want to point out, Yoshi's Island is even prettier when it's on a CRT

the blockiness of pixel art is kind of this weird cultural amnesia that took over when we started running emulators
designing graphics in 240p was often a process of consciously manipulating the CRT's technical limitations to give the impression of higher fidelity than was actually possible at the time (stuff like scanlines, variable luminosity, and color bleeding)

the best way I've seen this illustrated is
in The Legend of Zelda 2, Link didn't look like this:

he looked like this:

so when you see things like dithering or color gradation in old video games, the color, placement, and interpolation of those pixels were specifically designed with CRT output in mind
darker colors, for instance, could be used to give the impression of something that was smaller than a single pixel, because only one of the three RGB lights making up the pixel would be active, and it would be dim enough that the color wouldn't bleed. In a sense, it actually was smaller than a single pixel. today, on an LCD or plasma screen, this technique just looks like a full pixel of solid dark color, projected at the same luminosity as every other pixel on the screen. artists for games from this era have even expressed frustration and embarrassment at the way fixed-pixel HD renders their work

this doesn't mean
:reject: run out and buy a CRT, you are not getting the intended experience
I am not saying that. CRT enthusiasts are a thing, they are the sources of these images, but I do not personally own a CRT. I don't think it's that important

but I do think it's interesting and warrants mentioning
so if you have vague memories of Yoshi's Island looking like a living coloring book as a kid,
or of Super Mario Bros. 1 somehow, bizarrely, looking "more realistic" than Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3, you were not wrong
look at this "bad" let's play of somebody playing Yoshi's Island on a CRT. between the black bars from the asynchronous refresh rates, the characters move with the grace of a hand-drawn cartoon. video game artists back in the day were working small miracles, but most of the work has fallen into the memory hole

nice post

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019
El shaddai had the weirdest asthetic, truly unique. Hi res minimalist po-mo old testament anime doesn't have a whole lot of competition.

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019
Also it was cel shaded, but only in points. And it varied between 2 and 3d levels

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Apotheon

The game is basically Metroid in ancient Greece. It makes use of sprite puppetry which is normally enough to put me off but everything else is so gorgeous and clearly made with love that I can overlook it.

Night in the Woods

Yeah it's a game with weird talking animals but it's not furry wank fodder (so far as I know). It captures the Autumn in a dying coal town vibe better than anything I've ever seen, and it seems to hit folks who grew up in that sort of place really hard.

Shadows of the Damned

I love Suda51 games, even if I don't always love playing them. The aesthetic always takes center stage, but this one had a lot of obvious input from Shinji Mikami so it played a lot like RE4 and I would play it again in a heartbeat if it wasn't walled off to last gen systems. We got killer7 on steam so anything is possible I guess.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah it's a game with weird talking animals but it's not furry wank fodder (so far as I know). It captures the Autumn in a dying coal town vibe better than anything I've ever seen, and it seems to hit folks who grew up in that sort of place really hard.
Yeah I was sorta concerned that going in for the first time, but nah the game doesn't have any of the furry vibe whatsoever.

I cant bring myself to finish NITW because it hits me hard as well, just swap out dying coal town with aging agricultural town.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

buglord posted:

I cant bring myself to finish NITW because it hits me hard as well, just swap out dying coal town with aging agricultural town.
there are people in other countries entirely that contact the creators to say how much the setting resonated with them

powerful, powerful sense of place in that game

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I didn't grow up in a place like that, but for various reasons I can identify very strongly with their depiction of college-age people with no hope for the future, and that's why I'll never replay NitW. Great game, though.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
One thing about the Silent Hill games I always loved (and this has been described far better before) is that in the original 1-4 games, there's actually not much violence aside from what you the player inflict or endure. There are no over-the-top gory head explosions and dismemberment à la Resident Evil, most of the time you're arriving on the scene after the violence has already happened. Bodies lying about, etc. So, instead of being in your face with chainsaws and gruesome death sequences and what not, it builds up the threat of violence. It's implied that something horrible might happen to your character, though it rarely actually does, which does a phenomenal job of keeping you on edge. Those games are like masterpieces of atmosphere building.

One example in the first game: in the Otherworld school there's a room with a giant fan that has blood smeared on its blades. So something got chucked in there. I don't think it can actually hurt you, but drat if I don't give it a wide berth every time I play.

Then of course, the movie and later games kinda ruined all that by turning Pyramid Head into a slasher villain

Dr. Video Games 0135 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 15, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Follow-up to my earlier post about Prey, after finishing it :ssh:
I loved it overall, and being completely blindsided by the twist early on never really wore off. Both general aspects were great and a perfect fit for this thread - the sort-of Future Art Deco space station was an awesome setting, I loved running around in it and seeing the after-effects of the disaster. Having some of the enemies wandering around with aspects of their former human memories was perfectly chilling, and the way the ending tied in was well done. And the sections going outside the station, :kiss:
Perfectly intuitive controls and an awesome feeling just cruising around in space poking around the outside of the station. I could play a whole game of that.

Aside from some issues in the back half with the amount of enemies and backtracking/stage loading, it was great, especially going in blind. Definitely worth picking up.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Surprised only one person has mentioned Portal, especially Portal 2. Those games completely engrossed me in their world.

Portal 1 is a master class in minimalism. There's only two real environment designs, and they're depicted with a color palette that's largely just blue and orange - and it basically tells you everything you need to know. Portal 2 is a lot more complex and dynamic, as befitting its larger budget - in particular the updated lighting and shadows are doing a lot more work. It didn't really land for me aesthetically until Old Aperture, though, which owned.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

StandardVC10 posted:

Portal 1 is a master class in minimalism. There's only two real environment designs, and they're depicted with a color palette that's largely just blue and orange - and it basically tells you everything you need to know. Portal 2 is a lot more complex and dynamic, as befitting its larger budget - in particular the updated lighting and shadows are doing a lot more work. It didn't really land for me aesthetically until Old Aperture, though, which owned.

Oh yeah! Even just conceptually, visuals aside, the idea of heading into this deep forgotten part of the facility is just so cool.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Play posted:

A recommendation for you: Brothers, a Tale of Two Sons.

Also Breath of the Wild, which I've been playing just fine on an emulator if you don't have a nintendo console

Thanks for this recommendation, also if you have any inside info on emulation please pm me!

Also thanks to this thread, I went ahead and grabbed Amid Evil, about to go boot it up real drunk right now!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Oh yeah! Even just conceptually, visuals aside, the idea of heading into this deep forgotten part of the facility is just so cool.

You just made me put on the fantasically creepy music that plays when that whole section starts.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Shadows of the Damned

I love Suda51 games, even if I don't always love playing them. The aesthetic always takes center stage, but this one had a lot of obvious input from Shinji Mikami so it played a lot like RE4 and I would play it again in a heartbeat if it wasn't walled off to last gen systems. We got killer7 on steam so anything is possible I guess.

LOL, I was just coming back to post this one. I loved that City of the Damned had such a cool look to it, and varied areas, and the little stuff like campaign and advertisement posters in the 'city' area.

The neon of the Big Boner section was cool too, as was the look of the Justine boss level, which was a one-off shake-up of the look/gameplay.

The harsh light around Christopher (upgrade merchant) was a nice touch too, considering darkness/staying in light was such a big mechanic.

But seriously, the Big Boner level... ugh. I hated that there was no new game plus/extras like new costumes.

Heck, every Suda51 game can go here.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Captain Hygiene posted:

Follow-up to my earlier post about Prey, after finishing it :ssh:

The fact that John F Kennedy lived to the year 2031 was probably my favorite random nugget of alt history there

Prey was probably the first story based game I’ve played in years that I was actively looking toward to finishing.

buglord fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 15, 2019

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The reviews for Prey were so poor and I found the experience so memorable it made me realise I should ignore reviews completely and just play everything that interests me.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I rather read some opinions of mind like game fanatics then some rear end in a top hat from a clickbait site who considers himself a journalist.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Caesar Saladin posted:

The reviews for Prey were so poor and I found the experience so memorable it made me realise I should ignore reviews completely and just play everything that interests me.

Why would anyone give Prey a bad review? It's a great FPSRPG and is certainly a better inheritor to System Shock 2's legacy than any of the Bioshock games.

I'm not curious enough to bother reading a game review website though.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Hellsau posted:

Why would anyone give Prey a bad review? It's a great FPSRPG and is certainly a better inheritor to System Shock 2's legacy than any of the Bioshock games.

gamespot gave it a 6 because :

Story feels thin
Lack of memorable characters
Early game is a grind
Obnoxious audio design
Quests are mostly uninspired

according to their cons, but really its because they are weak of mind and heart and like, didn't get it

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

gamespot gave it a 6 because :

Story feels thin
Lack of memorable characters
Early game is a grind
Obnoxious audio design
Quests are mostly uninspired

according to their cons, but really its because they are weak of mind and heart and like, didn't get it

Clearly none of those reviewers cared enough to follow the dorky scientist and her romance with the security officer based around the treasure hunt for their dnd game.

Or Glooey McGlooface!

The characters were great. They were just normal people in a crazy situation, unlike bioshocks deranged characatures that nobody cares about anyway

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Goddamn Rainworld is loving incredible and I highly recommend it, even if it is a drat rear end in a top hat of a platformer to figure out. I'm probably going to keep returning to it for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnNbdvACR7w

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 15, 2019

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

You had to do a treadmill in game to lose weight, which seemed weird even back then but hindsight it makes a lot of sense, they never intended for you to play as anything but max fatness, so that grind was there to discourage you from playing it wrong.

That was just the fastest way to lose weight, you could also do it by just not eating for a while and/or running around a lot.

Also there were some things you couldn't do if you were too fat. Fly a jetpack, for example, if I recall correctly.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Hellsau posted:

I think people forget that the actual gameplay was hot garbage relic holdover stuff from 1997 that has no place in modern games

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Groke posted:

San Andreas made me start appreciating classic hip hop.

Same, I mean when I jumped in a car and I was too busy trying to avoid the cops to fiddle with the dial I ended up listen to whatever was already on the radio, so even though I wouldn't have tuned into that station by choice I heard those songs over and over and started to notice they were good.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Cruising down that main road in front of the beach with that 80s hip hop song that goes "Its like a jungle sometimes," its a video game image that will be stuck in my head forever.

Visiting Santa Monica for the first time I went "holy poo poo I had a hideout here in GTA:SA". On the other hand, all the places I'd already been in real life before playing the game were like "oh yeah I can see what area this is trying to represent" and they didn't seem that great :v:

Groke posted:

That was just the fastest way to lose weight, you could also do it by just not eating for a while and/or running around a lot.

This is what kept me thin: I mean why eat if you don't have to, and don't you need to run quite a bit to get to steal cars, flee crimes, etc.?

However I seem to remember there was some bug where if you did something in the game during a certain mission, it'd suddenly become harder to keep weight off or something.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

SwissDonkey posted:

I think people forget that the actual gameplay was hot garbage relic holdover stuff from 1997 that has no place in modern games

Which stuff do you take exception to? Genuinely curious.

Gameplay seemed pretty fun to me at least

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Game reviews are a complete waste of time and just about all of them are paid for, not genuine.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Protagonist posted:

Also thanks to this thread, I went ahead and grabbed Amid Evil, about to go boot it up real drunk right now!
Hooray! Go me!

I've really gotten into the look of certain early-90s shooters in recent years, or rather, mods for them. I've come by it honestly since I never played those games back in the day, actually thought a lot of them looked too primitive for me then, and generally have no real nostalgia for early-3D/2.5D. But the things the modders and mapmakers have created puts professional studios to shame, be it in spite of or due to the limitations of primitive technology.

Ancient Aliens, Doom

Eviternity, Doom

Arcane Dimensions, Quake

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

there was one that was a pain in the rear end marble maze puzzle, and the erudite approach was just to flip the console over entirely and use the maze the swat the ball. that might be difficult without gyroscopes.

You can emulate the gyros to a mouse, or if you're using a PS4 controller, that thing has gyros you can map it too as well.

Also in addition to upscaling the graphics there's a mod that changes all the button input graphics to PS4 equivalents, which is nice.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

For those who mentioned Subnautica, I am sad to report that the expansion standalone prequel is...not good.

Development is proceeding at a pace that makes the original look break-neck. The new arctic environments are so far bland and boring, and only a couple of them are even close to done. The setting (before the first game so there are other people alive on the planet interacting with you) completely ruins the isolated atmosphere of the original - not to mention that after a couple of years development, there's maybe an hour's worth of story before it tells you "STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT UPDATE, PLEASE ENJOY SWIMMING AROUND THESE 2 BARREN ENVIRONMENTS"

Also they haven't touched the underlying engine, so the massive amount of bugs that persisted through Early Access and into full release in the first one are present here. It's a mess and it bums me out.

e: also for anyone who's interested, I highly recommend playing Freedom mode (hunger/thirst turned off). There's also a (goon-made IIRC) mod that lets you craft using any materials within a 10m radius, as opposed to just what's in your inventory - it is absolutely essential.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 15, 2019

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

free hubcaps posted:

the wikipedia article for this one is a real hoot

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

just started playing deus ex mankind divided and im really digging the whole setting and being a sneaky cyborg guy that hacks all the gibsons and punches mooks out. highlight of the game so far: hacking a turrent gun and carrying it into a room where it mowed down all the bad guys. HEAVY IS CREDIT TO TEAM.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Mordja posted:

early-90s shooters

I have a deep, abiding appreciation for early fps, especially Quake 1 and things that play at that frenzied pace. The only thing that really scratched that itch recently was DUSK, which looks downright crude in screenshots but plays like a buttery dream. If you enjoyed the first quake, absolutely play it (on the second hardest difficulty, naturally)

Also you start out slaughtering klan cultists before going deep into crazy land and doing generally awesome, unexpected level design.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's definitely a 'feel' to the early 2.5d/3d games, particularly the id engine ones, that doesn't really get recreated much. the controls in the doom and the quakes are really tight - responsive and visceral - it helps provide a sense of immersion i don't think many games have recreated successfully. many shooters are floaty in comparison

dusk gets close, also strafe is pretty close to quake 2. i've been meaning to try amid evil

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I haven't played it yet, but Ion Fury (formerly called Ion Maiden until a lawsuit) just got released and that looks like it'll definitely scratch that itch too. It's done in the Build engine, same as Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBNHb236X6Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dusk and Amid Evil are two of the best late 90s FPS games out there. I haven't played Ion Fury yet but I hear very good things about it.