Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i really want a game that brings back Loki's Minion's CTF from Quake 2. It was a really simple CTF with power ups and an offhand grappling hook that combined with bunny hopping momentum in Quake 2 let you get up to insane speeds and do a lot of fun stuff as a result.

Also the mod jailbreak where when you got fragged you goto jail, when enough people get in jail they can jump on each other to get out a vent and open the door for themselves, if someone doesn't save them first. Two oldschool multiplayer game modes that had big playerbases for the time/game i haven't seen recreated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Early on in Ion Fury and it's real good, but the arsenal is kinda small/underwhelming compared to stuff like Blood and Duke3D. What's there is fun to use, there's just not a lot of it and none of the wilder weapons like the Shrink Ray or Life Leech.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Caesar Saladin posted:

gamespot gave it a 6 because :

Story feels thin
Lack of memorable characters
Early game is a grind
Obnoxious audio design
Quests are mostly uninspired

according to their cons, but really its because they are weak of mind and heart and like, didn't get it

no one should give a flying gently caress about anything gamespot says ever

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

olives black posted:

But it really makes you feel like Batman

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I just got the mace in Amid Evil and

holy poo poo

it might be my favorite fantasy shotgun ever.

e; it's like if Dooms super shotgun, Quake 2's railgun & Painkiller's stakegun had a hatefuck baby

e2; VVV I did in fact figure that out! Pumping up an enemy with lightning juice turns them into a chain lightning bomb and it's also great.

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 16, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Here's a tip in case you didn't notice it: the lightning trident can chain an entire room if you keep pumping shots into an already dead, electrified enemy.

Sick Ness Monster
Dec 25, 2016
I thought DEADBOLT had a really interesting atmosphere, and it has a great artstyle. The music contributes a lot to the rather bleak feeling of the game too - I just wish the game had been a bit longer.

More games should have a door knocking mechanic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGUqv6ftYeo

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMtMCD4z3z4

ECHO is an interesting sci-fi stealth game where you try to reach the heart of a planet-sized palace that fills itself with hostile copies of anyone who enters it. The twist is that the copies will pick up on the things you do in order to use it against you. If you use your gun too often, they'll start shooting at you. You can outrun them, but if you sprint too often, they'll learn to sprint to chase you. Sneak up behind them and choke them, and eventually they'll start sneaking up on you. They can only remember a few actions at a time, though, so you need to continually change up your tactics, or try to fill their memory with pointless behavior.

The gameplay got a bit tedious for me after a while, but the story and visuals really hooked me. The setting is almost House of Leaves-esque, as the palace replicates itself into soulless oblivion, filling itself with kilometer after kilometer of pointless rooms and galleries and hallways, all decorated for no one. The story hints at much wider universe without getting bogged down in worldbuilding, leaving you able to fill in a lot of the blanks and imagine what might be going on in this weird distant future.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

olives black posted:

does gamespot still load and autoplay between three and five videos on every page at the same time

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Loden Taylor posted:

ECHO is an interesting sci-fi stealth game ... but the story and visuals really hooked me. The setting is almost House of Leaves-esque, as the palace replicates itself into soulless oblivion, filling itself with kilometer after kilometer of pointless rooms and galleries and hallways, all decorated for no one.

Now you're speakin' my language! I'm almost shocked I never saw this before, because they environments scream 2k1: Space Odyssey to me, especially those shots of the planet surface which are torn right from the pages of the book which the movie never really got across. I get the feeling I'd get really annoyed with the gameplay too, but I'd adore a passive exploration of those environments.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Mordja posted:

I've really gotten into the look of certain early-90s shooters in recent years, or rather, mods for them. I've come by it honestly since I never played those games back in the day, actually thought a lot of them looked too primitive for me then, and generally have no real nostalgia for early-3D/2.5D.

Those look amazing given what engines they're in! Just curious, when DOOM came out in December 1993, what were you comparing it to that made it look primitive? It looked amazing to me but I only had a PC, I assume consoles were more advanced back then?

Anyway I'm putting those on the lists of WADs I'll never get around to playing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Protagonist posted:

I just got the mace in Amid Evil and

holy poo poo

it might be my favorite fantasy shotgun ever.

e; it's like if Dooms super shotgun, Quake 2's railgun & Painkiller's stakegun had a hatefuck baby

Have you tried it powered up yet?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Hellsau posted:

does gamespot still load and autoplay between three and five videos on every page at the same time

idk, I load their page on accident about twice per year

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Buttcoin purse posted:

Those look amazing given what engines they're in! Just curious, when DOOM came out in December 1993, what were you comparing it to that made it look primitive? It looked amazing to me but I only had a PC, I assume consoles were more advanced back then?
Well, for one, I would have been 4 in December 1993. :v: Plus living with a mom who though videogames would turn me into a murderer, the first FPS I really played through was a burnt copy of RTCW a friend smuggled over, then stuff like Half Life, C&C Renegade, SOF2 and BF1942. All late 90s to early 2000s stuff. Ironically I don't have any real nostalgia for that aesthetic, probably because they were just aiming for as close to photorealism as they could reach at the time. I'd played small amounts of Unreal and even Hexen at various friends' houses prior, but I guess I was a tween before we had family computers that could run stuff and I was only allowed to own, like, strategy games, not that actually stuck. Lotta alt-tabbing in that household. Point is, the first few times I tried to play early shooters in my later teens I mostly just told myself they were before my time, or got annoyed at how abstract and nonlinear the levels were.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Have you tried it powered up yet?

Oh :omarcomin: and it's just delightfully excessive. I almost don't want to describe what it does, based on what I've said and the hope some others might decide to give it a play through also. You won't be let down.

I mean this is a game where you get a staff that shoots planets. Effectively it's a rocket launcher, sans friendly splash damage.

And then there's the BFG equivalent. Which, uh, doesn't disappoint. Nor does it's powered up version. My brain basically failed to fully comprehend what was happening the first time I used it, but I used it well apparently since there's an achievement for banishing 10+ enemies in a single shot with its alternative mode. Just... wholesome, wholly excessive violence all around.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I definitely think AE has the coolest and most unique weaponset of this crop of throwback shooters.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

magikid posted:

I've always wanted to ask someone who's played this stuff:

When people tell stories from Dwarf Fortress or Space Station 13 or whatever, how much of that is actually happening in the game as opposed to the imagination of the player? Especially with MUDs. Back in the old griefing thread in Games, someone talked about causing trouble and being chased by other players in a MUD and I've always wondered what the hell he was actually doing. Frantically typing directions?

Nethack and DCSS actually give you event printouts, and getting poisoned / drunk / magick-ed does significantly affect the game experience. Example: Going blind means you only get a line of text that tells you what you felt, etc.

After a small amount of time playing the still-running Discworld MUD, I can tell you that they probably did type 'n'/'w'/'s'/'e' at the prompt, but that doesn't mean that that wasn't happening in the game world. The overall system and the actions supported seem quite complex and detailed. Also Pterry himself I think worked with the game designers on it, and it still has a lot of that early-Discworld charm.

Some things I find interesting about the engines of these games:

quote:

It also supports having snowball fights when it snows, annual special days such as beard-day and numerous other quirky and fun features.
The Discworld mudlib also goes beyond the norm with the level of detailed interaction that is possible with objects. For example, books on Discworld can not only be read, they can be written on, they can be published and printed, you can even tear pages out of them.

quote:

Once threaded, the embroidery needle can be used to embroider a small amount of text on an item of clothing (or a special linen square). The text will appear in the language you are currently speaking and so you need to be proficient in it.

If you have an embroidery pattern book you can embroider a pattern on an item of clothing. The book must be open to the page you wish to embroider
from and a number of threads may be required to complete the pattern.

quote:

The zen conduct is being blind throughout the entire game. It is one of the most difficult conducts, and only a handful of people are known to have ascended zen games.

The difficulty in zen comes in that it is like a mixture of other conducts with additional twists to make it even harder. Reading is impossible (though there are ways to make scrolls readable, and the Book of the Dead can be read when blind). You cannot use altars to find the beatitude of objects because you cannot see any flash. You also do not see what your objects look like by their material or color, so all potions are only shown as "a potion", wands as "a wand" and so on.

I don't really know much about Dwarf Fortress so I can't help there. But there is absolutely a reason why http://thegreatestgameyouwilleverplay.com/ exists.

One of my most favourite "A-ha!" moments about Nethack was the one time I played as a tourist, and it gives me a camera and some spare change. I realised I could use the flash of the camera to blind the monsters and escape from them. Blisteringly obvious but most modern games I don't think would have been as inventive.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 16, 2019

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I don't know if anyone remembers it but Phantom Crash for the original xbox was a fun time. It was set in the ruins of old Tokyo where people would have arena mech fights as a televised sport, so it set it apart from other super serious military mecha games like Armored Core (still a good game series though). It's a little bit like a racing game in regards to up keeping and customizing your mech.

The bots you fought against would spam and shitpost, it was pretty entertaining.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

magikid posted:

I've always wanted to ask someone who's played this stuff:

When people tell stories from Dwarf Fortress or Space Station 13 or whatever, how much of that is actually happening in the game as opposed to the imagination of the player? Especially with MUDs. Back in the old griefing thread in Games, someone talked about causing trouble and being chased by other players in a MUD and I've always wondered what the hell he was actually doing. Frantically typing directions?

It's not dissimilar to weird stuff that happens in MMOs, but the graphics and physics engines of the modern variant actually restrict you quite a bit. To use the ugliest example, there is a reason even when people rp their fursex or whatever in WOW they are doing it over text, it's like that but with everything. The amount of things you can very easily do with text and very simple code is astounding. Something like SS13 is kind of the same way, the limited interface helps a lot, leaving everything to the imagination. Old roguelikes are the same way, DW I believe also has all that plus the cross-over of a sim-type game to really up the emergent gameplay as they call it. It's not unique to gaming either, a lot of books can't be made into movies 100% faithfully for the same reason.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 16, 2019

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

It's not dissimilar to weird stuff that happens in MMOs, but the graphics and physics engines of the modern variant actually restrict you quite a bit. To use the ugliest example, there is a reason even when people rp their fursex or whatever in WOW they are doing it over text, it's like that but with everything. The amount of things you can very easily do with text and very simple code is astounding. Something like SS13 is kind of the same way, the limited interface helps a lot, leaving everything to the imagination. Old roguelikes are the same way, DW I believe also has all that plus the cross-over of a sim-type game to really up the emergent gameplay as they call it. It's not unique to gaming either, a lot of books can't be made into movies 100% faithfully for the same reason.

Games that work the imagination the right way can be fantastic. As a kid I'd get that delicious rush of excitement looking at the world map that came with Zelda: A link to the Past from seeing the simple but charming map details of the entire game world and how it would get me to wondering about what sort of exciting cool poo poo there would be in all those places you can see. Another goon had pointed out this was in large part due to the kind style and detail that was used in making the world map. Something about having just the right balance of detail to stroke the imagination while still being visually appealing in it's own right.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
There used to be a French company called Cryo and they used to make these games/interactive movies.

Atlantis: The lost tales was one of them. It ran on DOS but the graphics were amazing considering the year.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

drat Kentucky Route Zero looks sick

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Jeza posted:

Which stuff do you take exception to? Genuinely curious.

Gameplay seemed pretty fun to me at least

Admittedly I think half of my issue is that I've only played it on console, and the non pro/X ones at that, and the low framerate severely affects how it feels. Aiming with a gun was an absolute nightmare. My other issues are with the respawning enemies and limited resources. It was touted as "play it your way!", but quite a lot of early to midgame encounters are essentially forced stealth due to both the above problems. It felt like they copy pasted a lot of the shittuer aspects of System Shock 2 for the sake of being a spiritual sequel.

Which was disappointing, I'm a big fan of System Shock 2 and the writing was absolutely fantastic in Prey, it's just those holdover gameplay elements that made it an unfun slog to play for me.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

SwissDonkey posted:

Admittedly I think half of my issue is that I've only played it on console, and the non pro/X ones at that,

Arkane games are rough on console, I got Dis 2 on console and re-bought it on PC in less than day. The way you move and look around really doesn't work with a controller (partially arkane's fault as their stick sensitivity curves are all out of whack) and not being able to be close to the screen, you end up bumbling around missing things feeling like you're fighting the game.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Unreal Tournament probably has the most magical maps I've ever seen in a game.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Solar Tornado posted:

Unreal Tournament probably has the most magical maps I've ever seen in a game.

Facing worlds!

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Telefrag capital of the universe!

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

The music was also great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEcPakW42JU

Just realised I play Sanctum 2 all the time, it's a great colorful tower defense shooter with interesting looking enemies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFOf6g6vN1o

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 21, 2019

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Way of the Samurai is a lesser-known PS2 game set during the end of the samurai era, in a mountain pass where two major samurai groups, the townspeople, and the government are all feuding. It's pretty short but has multiple storylines and the choices you make change them completely.
You can be walking down a serene path through the woods and if some rear end in a top hat looks at you wrong, hit the button to unsheath your sword and take them out in one fell swoop. Kinda like Bushido Blade.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

yogizh posted:

There used to be a French company called Cryo and they used to make these games/interactive movies.

Atlantis: The lost tales was one of them. It ran on DOS but the graphics were amazing considering the year.

I had the PS1 version of this.
I remember the minotaur maze vividly.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Anyone ever play Archemedian Dynasty? It was basically Descent in water but more shoot shoot than doing weird turns.

That game was fun

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Braid was very pretty and had a chill soundtrack

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Kind of a weird one to mention, but I was talking to a friend about this the other day any realized it sort of fits here:

I actually like the product placement ads and simulated commercials in games like nba2k. They add to the realism and tbh also give time for important tasks such as bong ripping or chip dipping

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

Braid was very pretty and had a chill soundtrack

Shame about everything else regarding Braid

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Shame about everything else regarding Braid

I thought the puzzles were pretty decent. Except for the ones with two locked doors and one would break your key, but it was always the harder to reach door that was the right one, so idk why they bothered putting that there.

Bastion also had nice aesthetic and soundtrack and I could listen to the narrator all day long

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

yogizh posted:

Loved Pharaoh, for a 1998 game it looked glorious. The soundtrack was great too and stored as .mp3 files right on the CD.

An undying classic that I still occasionally play today.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Bioshock Infinite is a really nice place to be, the story is confusing but it is very pretty

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
Seconding whoever posted E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy in the thread earlier. Although it maybe felt a little underdeveloped it still had a really weird atmosphere that was a solid balance between between feeling sort of dreamy and simultaneously all hosed up (for good reason). Probably the best $2 I think I've spent on a game.

Can't remember if was mentioned or not, but I really actually liked the atmosphere in Enderal (a full Skyrim mod). The main city in particular was interesting because after nightfall it actually felt like it had real character and there was still a reason to go around and explore even though all the shops were closed. Unlike OG Skyrim, I'd happily wander into the taverns and burn the time gambling and stuff instead of simply hitting a key and telling the game to wait several hours. The song that plays in the town during the night later in the game also had a really sort of oppressive and melancholy feel to it that really drove a sort of oppressive feeling that things were slowly coming to a close in the world.

Edit: found it - Deceptive Peace https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm-3_xYBDu0

GENUINE CAT HERDER fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 28, 2019

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Aishlinn posted:

Nethack. Who needs graphics, the dungeon is in your mind. Same goes for some of my old school favorite MUDs that i used to play. the one i played for almost 10 years on and off, i pretty much had the entire game world of more than 500,000 rooms mapped out in my head. i can still navigate around most of it pretty well just from memory.

Discworld MUD does a pretty good job of matching Pratchett’s vibes, while filling in all the little details, locations, and characters. Really enjoy poking around looking for secrets and treats.

Great community too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I played Materia Magica for a long rear end time