Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Live Free posted:

Any advice on how to get my maker score up? I've been floating around 3k for a while. I have a good number of levels up and most of them have like a 1:3 likes/plays ratio, but idk how to hit the next level

Brute force your levels into the weekly popular tab by getting a lot of likes quickly. The easiest way to do that is to hit up the level exchange thread on the r/MarioMaker subreddit. Sort by new and find a stage that looks appealing, then leave a like and a comment in the thread with a little feedback and then leave them your level code. You can make your own post there as well and offer a reciprocal play. Once you get about 70 plays or so you should end up on the popular tab provided you had enough likes up to that point. From there you're at the mercy of the people who play levels out of that tab so unless you've got some killer idea and an easy stage you can only expect a couple hundred plays before you fall out, but it'll probably be enough to raise that maker score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just stopped giving a poo poo and make levels for fun now.

I can't do the level shilling crap. I hate the idea of running around from place to place desperately trying to get people to play my stuff. I might share my levels in places I felt were really good for discussion but Mario Maker reddit just looks like people throwing their levels out and trying to get them noticed.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 16, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I just stopped giving a poo poo and make levels for fun now.

I can't do the level shilling crap. I hate the idea of running around from place to place desperately trying to get people to play my stuff. I might share my levels in places I felt were really good for discussion but Mario Maker reddit just looks like people throwing their levels out and trying to get them noticed.

It's the same thing here, the sheer volume of goon levels is insane. But at least people here actually have conversations about how awesome Mario Maker 2 is and the random mario database is sweet

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I tell you what you don't do, you absolutely don't delete over half your levels to rework them to be less crap and for the ability to make a crappy joke.

Coincidentally, only four of my levels on the spreadsheet are correct now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

I tell you what you don't do, you absolutely don't delete over half your levels to rework them to be less crap and for the ability to make a crappy joke.

Coincidentally, only four of my levels on the spreadsheet are correct now.

Is one of them Piranha Pit Boss. I played that today and it was pretty good! I liked the alt path on the "boss" that I didn't even see until I did it the hard way

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I made a level themed around piranha plants that is still up but I don't think you're talking about mine, I don't remember making an alt path.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I like to switch between this thread where people make chill posts about mario, and reddit where half the threads are people complaining directly to nintendo because their level got bood

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hmmm...is Boss Bandit Piranha's Den not yours?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Hmmm...is Boss Bandit Piranha's Den not yours?

...how did i, in the process of creating, testing, and uploading this stage only now find out that there's a gap on the side for you to run out through. that's not me being creative, that's me being blind

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

In Training posted:

It's the same thing here, the sheer volume of goon levels is insane. But at least people here actually have conversations about how awesome Mario Maker 2 is and the random mario database is sweet

Yeah the reason I like this thread is people still talk about the game here. I would love to be in other Mario Maker communities but everyone I've dipped into has been people trying to get others to play their levels or complaining that nobody plays their levels or that their levels were boo'd.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Bingo! My latest jam entry:

You've Bred Chain Chomps?
3DM-H1F-38G

EDIT: Looks like there's no option for week 7 in the jam spreadsheet!

Or, er, how embarrassing. I fixed it, but also I already played and tweeted your level.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

...how did i, in the process of creating, testing, and uploading this stage only now find out that there's a gap on the side for you to run out through. that's not me being creative, that's me being blind

Lol cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lucky for you I was playing downloaded + airplane mode so you can fix the level before my illegal WR hits the servers.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think I'll leave it. I was already anticipating somebody not caring and jumping over them which is why I gave them keys for the arbitrary treasure hold to make you feel good for actually killing them instead of running away I just somehow... missed behind them.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Hey, is anybody on here familiar with the patch/hacking scene on smwcentral.net? I've been applying some patches to Kaizo Mario World, and I'm super impatient because people take forever to reply on that site.

Shot in the dark, but if you can help me out, PM me. Here's my issue/question:
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=83223&page=4&pid=1510969#p1510969

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Thanks OneMoreTime! Enjoyed seeing someone playing it blind, and I'm glad to see you got through the trouble parts fine!

Rollersnake, no problem! I can see what you meant with the precision timing, other people I asked to try it had similar comments about the thwomp.

Edit: my big takeaway from the video is that the coins as jump guides doesn't help much if you're out of step with the exact same way I played my level

Argue fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 16, 2019

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

J-Spot posted:

Challenge accepted 2!!!!!

Well fine then. :cheeky:

Bouncing Blasters 3? VKQ-0RG-YNF

And I've already got some anti-cheese ideas for 4. :science:

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And that's a stream! Thanks for joining as always, we got some good levels from non-goons with the !add command. I'll post an updated list of levels that were played a little later, but for now I'll drop the list that was initially posted.

Link to the VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/467799791

1. Color Contrast
By: Sam Faust CGB-RFG-HXG

2. Bouncing on Fireballs
By: Konstantin 7XB-KXG-XDF

3. Bouncing Blasters!!!
By: May Contain Nuts YHD-NGT-RRG

4. Teeter Totter Tour
By: Rhythmancer W26-BRW-WHG

5. Bouncing Blasters 2!!!!
By: May Contain Nuts SLC-XQS-NNG

6. Infiltrate and Rescue
By: Perry Normal 2HC-XRH-RWG

7. Top Ten Anime Betrayals
By: Crass Casualty QPH-Y0S-DYG

=Random Acts of Mario=

#40 Airfort one
By: Semisomnum TMN-HSN-T1G

9. #583 Snowswitch
By: Beerinator QCW-JSH-0NG

10. #190 Blooper Sea
By: Karma_coma KP1-X8X-9NF

11. #949 Starship Troopas
By: Forktoss P2T-RWS-YHF

12. #856 Better Snake Than Never
By: Argue 9SF-DD0-NTG

13. #461 Mario in the Whale
By: PantsBandit 0QS-1LC-CCG

14. #192 Time Traveling Pipes
By: The Awesomesaurus MGR-PNG-SYF

15. #679 Factory Floor is Lava
By: LeafyOrb VH8-V25-P1H

16. #293 The Treasure of Toggle Tower
By: Snake Maze YMW-C4X-9BG

17. #465 Air Power
By: Tayter Swift XBM-F64-4RG

18. #278 I want to be an Air Pirate
By: Svdl M6R-M4K-1MF

19. #408 Monster Recycling Plant
By: Bumblebadger 7GJ-LHK-3WF

20. #835 Icicle Islands
By: Argona WWQ-28T-2JG

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I stopped playing this because of ~joy con drift~ but since I have a pro controller, I really shouldn't have because it owns. (It's just way easier to make levels with the joycons + the touch screen in handheld.)

I'm going to see if I can remedy that later next week. If nintendo is still offering free repairs that is.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

OneMoreTime posted:

And that's a stream! Thanks everyone, always a ton of fun.

Link to the VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/466882414

5. Climbing the Big Tree
By: Eclipse12 PKF-TMD-RMF

Just caught up with your stream. Thanks for playing my level and saying all that nice stuff about it. You're right, I hadn't really posted in this thread before. Most of the time I just make reproductions of other NES game levels (hence using RetroLevel as my MM2 name). Maybe I'll post them sometime. Like a lot of people are saying in this thread, I feel a bit restricted by the parts available, so I have to fudge a lot of stuff.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Spacedad posted:

I stopped playing this because of ~joy con drift~ but since I have a pro controller, I really shouldn't have because it owns. (It's just way easier to make levels with the joycons + the touch screen in handheld.)

I'm going to see if I can remedy that later next week. If nintendo is still offering free repairs that is.

You can repair it yourself with a fifteen dollar kit. It’s fairly easy but you’ll need someone with slender hands because of the joycon’s small size.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Joycon drift is an analog stick problem, isn't it?

Do people play Mario Maker with the analog stick? :stonk:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

NofrikinfuN posted:

I do, but that's because I like playing in handheld mode.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NofrikinfuN posted:

It doesn't matter if you're using the stick or not it will sometimes just start inputting up if you're playing in handheld mode. I need to send mine in for repairs.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

May Contain Nuts posted:

Well fine then. :cheeky:

Bouncing Blasters 3? VKQ-0RG-YNF

And I've already got some anti-cheese ideas for 4. :science:

Challenge accepted 3?

https://twitter.com/JeffTMBG/status/1162365590209626113

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

@Perfectlycutvictorymusic

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

In Training posted:

It doesn't matter if you're using the stick or not it will sometimes just start inputting up if you're playing in handheld mode. I need to send mine in for repairs.

Interesting. I wonder how often this is actually signal loss on the wireless? I sometimes feel like something is pulling to a side when I play docked, but I never experience it when I play handheld.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

proud of u

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

NofrikinfuN posted:

Interesting. I wonder how often this is actually signal loss on the wireless? I sometimes feel like something is pulling to a side when I play docked, but I never experience it when I play handheld.

I was playing handheld a lot of the time. I’ve never had any wireless input problems. But I have had to replace both analog sticks.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

I'm enjoying this whole thing far more than maybe I should. I'm gonna end up with all my uploaded levels just being different versions of this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NofrikinfuN posted:

AFAIK it's an analog stick issue. This is actually the 3rd time I've had to had my JoyCons repaired or replaced, they're really lovely pieces of equipment. But at least Nintendo always just fixes them for free.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

May Contain Nuts posted:

I'm enjoying this whole thing far more than maybe I should. I'm gonna end up with all my uploaded levels just being different versions of this.

Warning Jspot, he was threatening some awful things in his followup stages if someone cheesed it. Which I am GREATLY looking forward to.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

OneMoreTime posted:

11. #949 Starship Troopas
By: Forktoss P2T-RWS-YHF

Thanks for checking this out - I get what you mean about it being a bit tedious, looking back on it it is definitely very slow to play. Will keep that in mind for future autoscroller stages. Thanks for the feedback!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

For those of you that have played my auto-scrollers, do you prefer the Mario 64 slide music or does the default 3D World Bowser Castle music fit better? I'm talking about in terms of setting a tone. Compare Build-It-Yourself Bowser Bridges to Spooky Sprint. I'm trying to decide if I should use the default castle music or the slide music in this next one I'm making

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't really know what I prefer for your levels, but I'll say when I was recreating my first level that takes place in the 3D World castle theme, I took out the Mario 64 music because I already feel like I heard it a bunch already and I like the 3D World music too much to drown it out anymore.

I'd go with how challenging you think it is relative to your other levels. If you think it's really going to be way harder go with the default since it sounds like it's building to a challenge better than super happy fun slide does. I think both work with your style of level, though.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
With the pirate king's bones rests his treasure. However, no such rest has come to his crew. It's:

Galleon Graveyard
02W-RF7-01H

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Macaluso posted:

For those of you that have played my auto-scrollers, do you prefer the Mario 64 slide music or does the default 3D World Bowser Castle music fit better? I'm talking about in terms of setting a tone. Compare Build-It-Yourself Bowser Bridges to Spooky Sprint. I'm trying to decide if I should use the default castle music or the slide music in this next one I'm making

The Mario 64 Slide theme drives me crazy and I actually had to turn off sound to finish Spooky Sprint.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Phantasium posted:

I don't really know what I prefer for your levels, but I'll say when I was recreating my first level that takes place in the 3D World castle theme, I took out the Mario 64 music because I already feel like I heard it a bunch already and I like the 3D World music too much to drown it out anymore.

I'd go with how challenging you think it is relative to your other levels. If you think it's really going to be way harder go with the default since it sounds like it's building to a challenge better than super happy fun slide does. I think both work with your style of level, though.

NofrikinfuN posted:

The Mario 64 Slide theme drives me crazy and I actually had to turn off sound to finish Spooky Sprint.

I suppose the castle one it is :v:

Spooky Sprint I went with the slide because the default is very slow based ghost house music. In my ideal world they'd put this in the game just for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmi0UaOylq4

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
Thanks so much to everyone who has been playing my levels these past few days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Udenpah
Mar 26, 2007
To see the mote that I preferred to all the lists of clay

Suspicious Cook posted:

With the pirate king's bones rests his treasure. However, no such rest has come to his crew. It's:

Galleon Graveyard
02W-RF7-01H

FYI your level was pretty rad. The boss fight in particular stands out.