Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Their first-first meeting was only two years earlier in Superman #76, which involves Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent both taking a cruise and accidentally getting double booked to share a cabin. This story inspired a very weird Joe Kelly Superman/Batman Annual and also probably some very early slash fiction.

I’m honestly surprised Earth 3 Deathstroke hasn’t popped up again, but I suppose Harley Quinn has Red Tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Mr Hootington posted:

Edit: Golden age alfred is also an amateur detective who is played as comedy relief and randomly loses like 100 pounds and gains more hair after going to a spa for a weekend in an issue.

That’s an early example of transmedia synergy. Alfred was redesigned to look more like the actor who played him in the movie serials

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
One of the central conceits behind the Lois Lane series right now is simultaneously hilarious and biting and insightful and yet completely ridiculous all at once.

Basically someone caught a photo of Lois, who's publicly married to Clark Kent, kissing Superman. Instead of assuming that Clark Kent and Superman are the same person so that Lois is just, y'know, kissing her husband, the world at large instead goes right to the assumption that Lois is a tramp who is cheating on her poor ol' incel of a spouse with chadly Superman instead. Also, 100% of the blame is being leveled at Lois instead of Superman.

It absolutely pushes the "no one thinks Superman and Clarke Kent are the same person" concept to the breaking point and beyond, but I just love that this is simply how the DC Universe...works.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

It absolutely pushes the "no one thinks Superman and Clarke Kent are the same person" concept to the breaking point and beyond, but I just love that this is simply how the DC Universe...works.

It does follow along with the conceit that the smartest man on DC Earth, even after his own supercomputer tells him Clark Kent is Superman, can't believe it because nobody can fathom by Superman would be a schlub.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Map of Dannyland (Danny the Street's current form) from this week's Doom Patrol

I'm using a Chrome browser plugin to get the page out of my Comixology issue and unfortunately it comes out a bit low res.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 9, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

One of the central conceits behind the Lois Lane series right now is simultaneously hilarious and biting and insightful and yet completely ridiculous all at once.

Basically someone caught a photo of Lois, who's publicly married to Clark Kent, kissing Superman. Instead of assuming that Clark Kent and Superman are the same person so that Lois is just, y'know, kissing her husband, the world at large instead goes right to the assumption that Lois is a tramp who is cheating on her poor ol' incel of a spouse with chadly Superman instead. Also, 100% of the blame is being leveled at Lois instead of Superman.

No one assumes Superman has another identity for one. Also, at least half of the civilian women in the DCU would probably love to make out with Superman.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well the thing here is that...it's Rucka, so the entire rest of the book is, like, this ultra-gritty crime drama with back alley murders and political intrigue and bar stakeouts etc. And then we get to the parts about Lois' private life and it suddenly operates on completely-self-aware silver age logic.

I'm not ragging it at all btw. It's great.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nobody assumes Clark Kent is Superman for the same reason nobody assumes their co-worker that looks like Tom Cruise is actually secretly Tom Cruise.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Superman entered a Superman lookalike contest and won third prize.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Benito Cereno posted:

That’s an early example of transmedia synergy. Alfred was redesigned to look more like the actor who played him in the movie serials

Not directly thread relevant, but where is your avatar from?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Open Marriage Night posted:

Superman entered a Superman lookalike contest and won third prize.

That's what you get for moving fast enough to blur yourself in photos. :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

That's what you get for moving fast enough to blur yourself in photos. :colbert:

Yeah, Clark Kent doesn't look like this guy at all!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1160199302804889600

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Not directly thread relevant, but where is your avatar from?

It’s from a short animation I made with a guy named Graeme MacDonald based on our OGN Tales from the Bully Pulpit.

You can see the animation here

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A three issue miniseries bridging the current and next runs of Grant Morrison's GL just got announced.
Don't click the link if you care, though, cause they're seemingly just spoiling the upcoming end of the series.
https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/08/14/grant-morrison-rewrites-reality-in-green-lantern-blackstars

edit: The creative team is Morrison and Xermanico.

edit:
Two more Tales from the Dark Multiverse one-shots
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1161671324361777152

quote:

TALES FROM THE DARK MULTIVERSE: BLACKEST NIGHT #1

Writer Tim Seeley (Nightwing) and artist Kyle Hotz (Swamp Thing: Roots of Terror) team up with cover artist Lee Weeks (Batman) to retell the tale of the Green Lantern event that changed the DC Universe forever, only this time the Black Lanterns emerge triumphant! Twenty-three days after the cataclysm, Sinestro, trapped between life and death as a White and a Black Lantern, emerges as the world’s last hope—the Limbo Lantern! In order to save the universe or end his life, he’ll need the help of some unlikely survivors—Dove, Lobo, and Mister Miracle—all of whom will put their lives on the line to give their world one final chance! This 48-page one-shot goes on sale November 13 for $5.99, and fans can also pick up a reprint of the original Blackest Night #1 the same day for just $1.

TALES FROM THE DARK MULTIVERSE: INFINITE CRISIS #1

Writer James Tynion IV (Justice League, Justice League Dark) and artists Aaron Lopresti (Wonder Woman) and Matt Ryan (Damage) team up with cover artist Lee Weeks for this dark turn on DC’s mega-event Infinite Crisis. The destruction of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, the rise of Alexander Luthor and Superboy-Prime, and the rebirth of the Multiverse all began with Ted Kord, the Blue Beetle. Kord saw it all coming and died with secrets that could have saved the world. But in the Dark Multiverse, Blue Beetle survives, and with the death of Maxwell Lord by his hand, Ted sets off events that irreversibly alter the lives of not only the Justice League, but also his best friend, Booster Gold. In trying to prevent a crisis, Blue Beetle becomes the crisis, and the Dark Multiverse will never be the same. A $1 reprint of the original Infinite Crisis #1 will also be available when this 48-page one-shot goes on sale November 27, also for $5.99.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 14, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Oh snap. The Shade is back in Hawkman.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There's been quite a lot of really good stuff happening in some books lately tbh (We've got to talk about Jarro at some point :allears:)

I don't think Wilson's run on Wonder Woman has been setting the world on fire or anything, but I'm going to be forever grateful to her for finally tying up the plot threads from Rebirth that were screaming to be resolved. I mean, I still miss Rucka on this book to this day, but the way his run ended was definitely super awkward and left a billion loose ends that shouldn't have been left. It left the succeeding runs in this weird narrative limbo of "uh, I guess we'll just ignore all those super important plot details for...ever? and just try to tell other stories then?" which they really didn't deserve. But now finally, the path to Themyscira is open again, Cale is reunited with her daughter, the status of the gods in the DCU is being dealt with. It feels like all the stuff that Rebirth set up finally has a proper...not an end, of course, but a landing of sorts, and we can finally move on to other things now without having to worry about the stove still being on.

Now just...for god's sake, someone write literally any dialogue between Diana, Donna, and Cassie. Not you, Bendis. Anyone else.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I always thought the idea of an unaccountable police force enacting laws on planets that hadn’t heard of them was quite dystopian anyway, so I’m well up for “Evil Green Lanterns” being a thing for a while.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Benito Cereno posted:

It’s from a short animation I made with a guy named Graeme MacDonald based on our OGN Tales from the Bully Pulpit.

You can see the animation here

Thank you kindly! It was really tickling my brain.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

vegetables posted:

I always thought the idea of an unaccountable police force enacting laws on planets that hadn’t heard of them was quite dystopian anyway, so I’m well up for “Evil Green Lanterns” being a thing for a while.
Well in theory the GLs aren't allowed to break any local laws as dictated by the denizens of the sector. That's why Sinestro wasn't allowed impose his will on the people of his planet and reshape it to his liking even if his planet really sucked.

That's in theory, of course. In practice, I dunno how many times writers might've had the Guardians or individual GLs say "Eh, fuckit" and go all Prime Directive on some planet or another.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I saw the latest issue of that Leviathan event at the shop, and realized I don’t think I’ve seen a single post about it. Is anyone actually reading it?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

vegetables posted:

The Green Lanterns are a big homage to the Lensmen, who were vetted by super-aliens and were intrinsically trustworthy. However, they also couldn't fly through space or make green boxing gloves (except by going to the boxing glove store) so you take the good with the bad.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

I saw the latest issue of that Leviathan event at the shop, and realized I don’t think I’ve seen a single post about it. Is anyone actually reading it?

I am! I enjoy it so far, but you really need to have read the lead up Action Comics or a lot of it will be kind of lost on you. It’s peak Bendis in the ‘hang around and talk about everything’ department, but that doesn’t rub me the wrong way like some people on here. I really like his Plastic Man, and the whole team piles on Red Hood being a suspect because he’s sort of a piece of poo poo, so that’s good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I am! I'm enjoying it a lot! It's a *bit* Bendis-y in dialog at times, but I think he has a solid grasp of the characters for the most part, and it's good to see Manhunter doing things.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

enigmahfc posted:

I am! I enjoy it so far, but you really need to have read the lead up Action Comics or a lot of it will be kind of lost on you. It’s peak Bendis in the ‘hang around and talk about everything’ department, but that doesn’t rub me the wrong way like some people on here. I really like his Plastic Man, and the whole team piles on Red Hood being a suspect because he’s sort of a piece of poo poo, so that’s good.

I'm surprised they actually played up Red Hood being as much of a threat/suspect. Like come on, he wears red and is a good fighter, he's hardly skilled/smart enough to dismantle several spy organizations and take control of a terrorist group. Maybe Scott Lobdell helped Bendis write this issue...

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Also why is everyone trying to work out who he is, is Leviathan not taking place in contemporary comics?

The whole hood scene felt very Deathstroke vs JLA.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

I haven't heard much about it, either. A lot to like in it! I loved the last two pages. And Damian stealing tech. Batman realizing the fight was wrong.

Anyways, I came to ask a question. in another thread someone asked about unusual ships, and I thought about Riddler, and then I thought that, well, he'd only really fit with someone who was really smart. And I was sort of at a loss to find a character. So I looked at a few (smartest characters in comics!) and was sort of surprised (but not really) to see there weren't many women on the list. Well, one, but she's like 9? And a Marvel character so who cares. Even a list of 'The 22 Smartest Female Comic Book Characters' only had 12. Poison Ivy was at the top of the list, with She-Hulk next to her (Presumably its old and the young girl wasn't born yet). I could see Ivy being smart, scientist and all, but are there any like, supergenius women in DC? Tactical geniuses? I guess you had a couple in Wildstorm, with Ivana Baiul and Savant, but they don't really have much of a presence in DC. Is it just uh, Amanda Waller and Poison Ivy? Maybe Barbara Gordon?

nofather fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 16, 2019

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

nofather posted:

Anyways, I came to ask a question. in another thread someone asked about unusual ships, and I thought about Riddler, and then I thought that, well, he'd only really fit with someone who was really smart. And I was sort of at a loss to find a character. So I looked at a few (smartest characters in comics!) and was sort of surprised (but not really) to see there weren't many women on the list. Well, one, but she's like 9? And a Marvel character so who cares. Even a list of 'The 22 Smartest Female Comic Book Characters' only had 12. Poison Ivy was at the top of the list, with She-Hulk next to her (Presumably its old and the young girl wasn't born yet). I could see Ivy being smart, scientist and all, but are there any like, supergenius women in DC? Tactical geniuses? I guess you had a couple in Wildstorm, with Ivana Baiul and Savant, but they don't really have much of a presence in DC. Is it just uh, Amanda Waller and Poison Ivy? Maybe Barbara Gordon?

Veronica Cale. The Countess. Uptime, Dream Girl.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

nofather posted:

I haven't heard much about it, either. A lot to like in it! I loved the last two pages. And Damian stealing tech. Batman realizing the fight was wrong.

Gotham flirted with the idea of Riddler/Penguin and really, Cory Michael Smith and Robin Lord Taylor had fantastic chemistry.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

nofather posted:

Giganta. Talia al Ghul maybe? Harley Quinn sometimes.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 16, 2019

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Thranguy posted:

Veronica Cale. The Countess. Uptime, Dream Girl.

Nice, thanks, though I can't find who Uptime is. Didn't Lex Luthor have a relationship with a mysterious mastermind in the 90s or early 00s? She was obsessed with her kid.

Archyduchess posted:

Gotham flirted with the idea of Riddler/Penguin and really, Cory Michael Smith and Robin Lord Taylor had fantastic chemistry.

They totally did, I think it helped that Penguin wasn't the uh, normal more decadent Penguin depicted in comics.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Giganta. Talia al Ghul maybe? Harley Quinn sometimes.

I was wondering if people would count Talia. She does some smart stuff but she's also crazy. I didn't know Giganta was a scientist until just now (though I'm sure it came up in the Choi's Atom series), I was probably conflating her a bit with Titania. Thank you.

nofather fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 16, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Isn't Power Girl some kind of scientist?

There's a comic where The Riddler tries to seduce Barbara Gordon's Batgirl because she's the closest thing he thinks of as an intellectual equal. I think it was a tie-in with the Batman/Catwoman wedding that didn't happen.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

nofather posted:

Nice, thanks, though I can't find who Uptime is. Didn't Lex Luthor have a relationship with a mysterious mastermind in the 90s or early 00s? She was obsessed with her kid.

Uptime was just me pointing out that Dream Girl was in the dcu future. And yeah, that was the Countess, or maybe the Contessa, who was tied in with Lex.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Isn't Power Girl some kind of scientist?

Depends on the writer, but sometimes they remember Karen's supposed to be really good with computers. Not like Barbara level, but she clearly has a Master's in Computer Science at least.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
You could Amanda Waller to the list. She isn't a super scientist or anything, but when it comes to strategy, manipulation, sheer force of will she is up there too.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Depends on the writer, but sometimes they remember Karen's supposed to be really good with computers. Not like Barbara level, but she clearly has a Master's in Computer Science at least.

Didn't she use to run a tech startup way back before the boom, like the late 80's? You'd think that'd be pretty fertile ground for storytelling today...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I did like the bit in Injustice where Harley Quinn calls out Doctor Fate for not being an actual doctor.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Barbara Gordon is absolutely one of the smartest people in the DCU and probably the best in her field of...computer stuff.

Barbara Ann Minerva, aka Cheetah, is a premiere archaeologist, linguist, anthropologist, and historian.

Kimiyo Hoshi -- Dr. Light -- and Caitlin Snow -- Killer Frost -- are both brilliant scientists as well.

There's probably tons more female characters like that, just not exactly in the same vein of "so smart they can literally do anything" intelligence seen in comic book dude scienists.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Didn't she use to run a tech startup way back before the boom, like the late 80's? You'd think that'd be pretty fertile ground for storytelling today...

Yeah, StarrWare (I think) comes and goes with the creative team. One of the things about Judd Winick's run of the book was her trying to settle down a little and run the place, although there she did more CEO stuff than programming stuff (which is fine). Other times it's "oh, yeah, Karen has at least a semi-successful software company."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

November solicits

https://www.newsarama.com/46215-dc-comics-november-2019-solicitations.html