Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ikanreed posted:

Standard d&d 3.0 cosmology is that the devil most responsible for corrupting his soul has the right to it.

The way it's described in fiend folio 2, being raised by an evil parent and never reforming probably means the fiend loosely assigned to the region he grew up in, despite Sabine having a more direct role.

The fact that he's more chaotic than his father is oh god not alignment analysis

Sabine is not a devil so has no rights to his soul. Nale also did not have a patron god who would yank his soul out of hell either.

Lee is the only one Sabine knows that could get his soul, but it's doubtful that he cares enough to trade for it. Which means that Nale's fate is to be tortured until all personality, will and divine energy in his body is gone, (His memory is the first to go as all souls hellbound are dunked in the River Styx before being carted off to their new owner.) after that his husk of a soul will be tossed into a pit to become a lemure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
But really it all depends on the specifics of the setting and any special circumstances that might arise; like, "All Drow are Chaotic Evil..." until they weren't.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

MonstgoneerEnvy posted:

(His memory is the first to go as all souls hellbound are dunked in the River Styx before being carted off to their new owner.) after that his husk of a soul will be tossed into a pit to become a lemure.

Except we know that's not what happens in OOTS world

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rumda posted:

Except we know that's not what happens in OOTS world

Why not. All of those souls in Lee's bin could have gotten River Styx dunked before before being dropped in his bin.

Raenir Salazar posted:

But really it all depends on the specifics of the setting and any special circumstances that might arise; like, "All Drow are Chaotic Evil..." until they weren't.

Drow are generally neutral evil, and funny enough that still seems to be the case here given we have met one Drow and he was neutral evil.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why not. All of those souls in Lee's bin could have gotten River Styx dunked before before being dropped in his bin.

It seemed like the soul splices retained their personalities and probably memories.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

wdarkk posted:

It seemed like the soul splices retained their personalities and probably memories.

Even the fiend folio was like "the devils hate it and try to prevent it but there are occasionally petitioners who keep their memory"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ikanreed posted:

Even the fiend folio was like "the devils hate it and try to prevent it but there are occasionally petitioners who keep their memory"
Wait, Soul Splices are an actual thing?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

PMush Perfect posted:

No, it's the "petitioners usually get their memory wipes, but super baddies could sometimes get around it."

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

PMush Perfect posted:

I don't know about that. Just that the fluff mentions sometimes there are souls in hell that land on the shores of the Styx without getting wet and remember who they are even through the process of becoming a lemure.

Devils often falsely promise this to worshipers who are wise to the nature of going to hell when they die.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Capfalcon posted:

No, it's the "petitioners usually get their memory wipes, but super baddies could sometimes get around it."

ikanreed posted:

I don't know about that. Just that the fluff mentions sometimes there are souls in hell that land on the shores of the Styx without getting wet and remember who they are even through the process of becoming a lemure.

Devils often falsely promise this to worshipers who are wise to the nature of going to hell when they die.
Oh, okay, that makes more sense.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
IIRC Fiend Folio has a campaign where the final boss fight is some Lawful Evil Big Bad who gets turned into a Pit Fiend.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It never stops being weird how the thread is willing to get into the technical cosmology of the afterlife.

Come to think of it, why didn't Roy's girlfriend ever visit when he was dead? Or vice versa? What are the implications of dating after death?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Come to think of it, why didn't Roy's girlfriend ever visit when he was dead? Or vice versa? What are the implications of dating after death?
Plane Shift isn't a cheap spell, she didn't know he was dead at first, and she was kind of busy once she did.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

She spent pretty much all the time he was dead trying to get him alive again, once she learned what happened. And she's not exactly a high-level adventurer that can just pop on over to the afterlife for a party.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Tenebrais posted:

She spent pretty much all the time he was dead trying to get him alive again, once she learned what happened. And she's not exactly a high-level adventurer that can just pop on over to the afterlife for a party.

The origin of the PCs made it clear she's never going to be a high level lawyer anyways, because she doesn't like murder

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I barely know anything about D&D cosmology and I was misreading Lemure as Lemur and was very confused for the past couple of pages.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Unlucky7 posted:

I barely know anything about D&D cosmology and I was misreading Lemure as Lemur and was very confused for the past couple of pages.

All the evil people getting turned into lemurs would be the best religion ever.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Facebook Aunt posted:

All the evil people getting turned into lemurs would be the best religion ever.

Let me tell you about Buddhism

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Unlucky7 posted:

Magic the gathering made that mistake once.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

wdarkk posted:

ikanreed posted:

Plus those guys were epic casters, they were probably thought to be more valuable as soul shells then as near mindless fiends.

The Styx can be avoided if the proper deal is made, or if the fiend already has a plan for a soul that does not involve it. The souls that end up in the Abyss and Hades also don't fall near the Styx by default. (Though they can)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

MonsterEnvy posted:

Magic the gathering made that mistake once.

I think I like my version better where demons are just petty assholes and turn souls into small apes just for the hell of it after they had their fun torturing them instead of some blob looking thing

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
What is that dwarf in back hearing in panel 3 anyways?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

ikanreed posted:

What is that dwarf in back hearing in panel 3 anyways?

Belkar fighting a monster?

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I don't understand what the significance of the second to last panel is.

specifically, why is that last vampire smoldering?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Galvanik posted:

I don't understand what the significance of the second to last panel is.

specifically, why is that last vampire smoldering?

She's not, she's shifting from her gaseous form to a more solid one. Over this and the last strip if you look closely you can see that she dissipated and fled when things went south.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

New comic

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Interesting reaction from Loki in the last panel.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

W.T. Fits posted:

Interesting reaction from Loki in the last panel.

I mean, she IS family.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah his daughter hates him enough to want to legitimately god-kill him. Everything we've seen him get involved him has been fun and games for him until now, I suspect he wasn't expecting her to take it so hard that he screwed her over for this world.

We've seen having very few worshippers puts gods in mortal danger (and badly hurts them if they survive, see Odin) so I can't really blame her.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah his daughter hates him enough to want to legitimately god-kill him.

He might also be realising she's been pushed so far she'll die if they have to wait out a new world.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Hel doesn’t seem long for this world. Or maybe any world, really.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
drat girl, you lokin' like hell!

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah his daughter hates him enough to want to legitimately god-kill him. Everything we've seen him get involved him has been fun and games for him until now, I suspect he wasn't expecting her to take it so hard that he screwed her over for this world.

We've seen having very few worshippers puts gods in mortal danger (and badly hurts them if they survive, see Odin) so I can't really blame her.

She still gets souls and people still believe in her so she's not as bad off as Odin, who's like that because no one believed in him for a cycle. I think Thor or Loki likened having souls and belief with no worship to empty carbs or something in a previous strip.

E: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1144.html

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 20, 2019

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

She still gets souls and people still believe in her so she's not as bad off as Odin, who's like that because no one believed in him for a cycle. I think Thor or Loki likened having souls and belief with no worship to empty carbs or something in a previous strip.

E: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1144.html

It's not that they didn't believe in Odin, it's that the Northerners ended up with a society that believed magic was "dumb nonsense for fools and simpletons" and that it ended up messing up Odin's head pretty bad because he's the god of magic.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

W.T. Fits posted:

It's not that they didn't believe in Odin, it's that the Northerners ended up with a society that believed magic was "dumb nonsense for fools and simpletons" and that it ended up messing up Odin's head pretty bad because he's the god of magic.

Yeah gods seem to follow Small Gods rules in ootsverse, they are what people think they're supposed to be

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Yeah gods seem to follow Small Gods rules in ootsverse, they are what people think they're supposed to be

They slightly seem to but from THAT VERY PAGE it seems like odin wasn't getting any worship OR dedication last cycle and that specifically is the problem.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

reignonyourparade posted:

They slightly seem to but from THAT VERY PAGE it seems like odin wasn't getting any worship OR dedication last cycle and that specifically is the problem.

I don't see anything saying he didn't have worship or dedication. Instead, a significant number of people Believed him into being a fool and a simpleton, but he's now getting Belief of Odin as the wise leader of the gods. It'll sort itself out soon enough.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

I don't see anything saying he didn't have worship or dedication. Instead, a significant number of people Believed him into being a fool and a simpleton, but he's now getting Belief of Odin as the wise leader of the gods. It'll sort itself out soon enough.

They believed magic was for fools and simpletons. Ergo, they weren't doing magic. Ergo, the people who WOULD have been magicians worshiping Odin were not magicians worshiping Odin. Because there were less people worshipping odin, he was getting less worship (duh) and dedication (from people who worshipped him dying.)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Capfalcon posted:

It's hard to imagine him getting worship or dedication without belief. (Then again, that same panel says Hel is getting too much devotion and no worship, so i dunno.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
He was probably still worshiped as the king of the gods, but they also believed that magic was for fools and simpletons.