Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved cabinet of dr caligari, couldn't get along with casablanca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved cabinet of dr caligari, couldn't get along with casablanca.

I had the opposite experience, how interesting

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Cabinet of Dr Caligari, aka the source of Tim Burton's entire... deal.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Cabinet of Dr Caligari, aka the source of Tim Burton's entire... deal.

It forms a common link between old movies and old 3d videogames - they couldn't do the lighting they wanted so they painted the lighting straight onto the objects. :P

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Listening to the I Was There Too where they're interviewing the Catherine Martin actress from Silence of the Lambs and I totally never got the symbolism of Martin walking out of Jame Gumb's house holding the white dog like it was Starling saving the lamb.

Also the part where everyone talking to Starling is filmed looking at her straight on (intimidation?) whereas Starling's POV is always to the side of whoever she's talking to. I own the Criterion edition of SotLs and the lack of a commentary track always pissed me off to no end so I get to learn this poo poo 30 years later.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Listening to the I Was There Too where they're interviewing the Catherine Martin actress from Silence of the Lambs and I totally never got the symbolism of Martin walking out of Jame Gumb's house holding the white dog like it was Starling saving the lamb.

I love when the type of poo poo I would make up in college essays is intentional.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of Gravity Falls that basically went "What if we made a show where looking into codes and foreshadowing like a crazy person actually had results?" Though a lot of modern shows like that. Steven Universe has a ton of stuff that is cast in a whole new light after one big reveal.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of Gravity Falls that basically went "What if we made a show where looking into codes and foreshadowing like a crazy person actually had results?" Though a lot of modern shows like that. Steven Universe has a ton of stuff that is cast in a whole new light after one big reveal.

Dude! I bought my kids Journal 3 (they made a hardbound version of the one Dipper finds/uses on the show, it's rad) and the amount of coded poo poo they put into the show is insane. They made a bunch of coded, preplanned throughlines between the show, the book, and actual mythology that are incredibly dense and fun. Gravity Falls is one of those things I wish were around when I was a kid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Dude! I bought my kids Journal 3 (they made a hardbound version of the one Dipper finds/uses on the show, it's rad) and the amount of coded poo poo they put into the show is insane. They made a bunch of coded, preplanned throughlines between the show, the book, and actual mythology that are incredibly dense and fun. Gravity Falls is one of those things I wish were around when I was a kid.

I think your last sentence is pretty much exactly what their mission statement was. Same with SU probably. Most of the people making cartoons grow up watching them, so a lot of the new stuff is weird pastiches of old stuff plus a copious helping of the anime they also watched and video games they played, and social commentary they've learned to run rings around the censors with.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think your last sentence is pretty much exactly what their mission statement was. Same with SU probably. Most of the people making cartoons grow up watching them, so a lot of the new stuff is weird pastiches of old stuff plus a copious helping of the anime they also watched and video games they played, and social commentary they've learned to run rings around the censors with.

Don't forget that they also manage to force in their insidious PC gone mad SJW agenda brainwashing kids to think such evil thoughts like *gasp* "gay people exist, and its not a bad thing"

I also think it's not a bad thing

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BrigadierSensible posted:

Don't forget that they also manage to force in their insidious PC gone mad SJW agenda brainwashing kids to think such evil thoughts like *gasp* "gay people exist, and its not a bad thing"

I also think it's not a bad thing

To be fair, you have to have a high IQ to understand it.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Can you tell us what these things are?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

synthetik posted:

Can you tell us what these things are?

Sure. Spoilers ahead for.... basically all of Steven Universe.

Steven's mom, who for most of the show is called Rose Quartz, is actually Pink Diamond, one of four Diamonds that rule Gem society. She rebelled and faked her own death for lots of reasons and hosed over LOTS of people to prevent the Earth from being hollowed out and turned into a Gem planet. Then she never told her closest allies, and eventually decided she wanted to make life so turned herself into Steven and basically died so he could exist. He has all of her powers and none of her memories and has to deal with the fallout of all of her terrible terrible choices.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Thanks! That’s a lot more involved than I expected.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of the foreshadowing is all over the place, including the pilot episode and even some of the spinoff video games, mostly revolving around how Rose Quartz and thus Steven is actually a completely different kind of Gem than he and almost everyone else thinks he is, and the confusion from both the Crystal Gems and Homeworld on the way Rose Quartz acted and what exactly happened to Pink Diamond when her 'death' was the whole reason the war escalated so rapidly.

The real funny thing is that a lot of that foreshadowing is symbolic or comes from the most ridiculous places; Steven's whole birthday tradition of dressing up as a king becomes fitting when you realise he's basically a hidden prince, his association with Lion, the most regal of animals, and the already dubiously canon yet not really ignorable Uncle Grandpa crossover episode has Uncle Grandpa leave off with giving advice to Steven about taking care of his gem- advice which doesn't match up with the real-life cleaning and care of a rose quartz, but DOES match that for a pink diamond. (Which is certainly on purpose given how much the show uses reference to the qualities of gems both physical and cultural to inform it and make in-jokes).

Some people had actually guessed a lot of plot points early on from interpreting both literal and thematic foreshadowing and noting a few things that were conspicuously absent, given the show also has some very consistent elements of presentation; nearly all of it is directly from Steven's point of view, so flashbacks are usually presented as people telling him what happened, some of which take place in a shadow-puppet animation style that's a reference to Revolutionary Girl Utena. (Along with a shitload of other references to that in the show. The creators are clearly huge weebs) And like Utena, that flashback style is a visual cue that the information being presented is suspect; especially since the voices are usually in-universe narrated rather than the actual characters' VAs. On top of that, a key element in the show as more Gems are presented is that since they're basically clones based on a template, all Gems of the same type have the same name and colour and look extremely similar, and are voiced by the same actor; every Pearl, every Amethyst, every Ruby, etc. We never see or hear another Rose Quartz gem clearly until after the big reveal, because it'd be an implicit spoiler that actual Rose Quartzes have a different voice actor.

It tends to trip nerds up a lot because you have to look at things both literally and allegorically to get the full picture.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Once upon a time in Hollywood: at one point Cliff opens the trunk of his car and there's no trademark Tarantino trunk shot.

This sounds like I'm being glib but it does actually feel very deliberate, it's his first movie in ten years in a setting that even has car trunks and he's passing up the opportunity, almost as if to say "hey, it's not about me, it's about the Hollywood of the 60s". Although considering who we're talking about here this would actually be a monumental change of philosophy. And I don't even remember if he dropped that shot even earlier. Maybe I am just being glib.

also the feet thing is getting to the point of self-parody on this one so

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just got around to watching Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

I liked how at the end when the game is reset after being beaten, the camera zooms out and you see the paths and green crystal form the same shape as the original board game

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

My Lovely Horse posted:

Once upon a time in Hollywood: at one point Cliff opens the trunk of his car and there's no trademark Tarantino trunk shot.

This sounds like I'm being glib but it does actually feel very deliberate, it's his first movie in ten years in a setting that even has car trunks and he's passing up the opportunity, almost as if to say "hey, it's not about me, it's about the Hollywood of the 60s". Although considering who we're talking about here this would actually be a monumental change of philosophy. And I don't even remember if he dropped that shot even earlier. Maybe I am just being glib.

also the feet thing is getting to the point of self-parody on this one so

Aside from the very end and of course all the drat feet it didn’t really feel like a Tarantino movie to me. It didn’t have any of his usual dialogue, and felt very grounded in reality vs his usual hyper reality where everyone speaks like Quentin Tarantino. I hadn’t thought of the trunk shot thing till you pointed it out, but yeah, I’m sure it was a deliberate choice and that’s a nice catch.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah I felt the same way (another layer of meaning to the trunk bit could be "I'm not doing the same stuff I used to do anymore"). The first 90 minutes or so I even thought, this might be the one where good old Quentin bit off a bit more than he could chew, and started comparing it to Hail Caesar, which if you mentally put up Tarantino directly against the Coens you realize quickly it's not even a contest, but the ending really drove home what he was saying and now I think it might even be one of his better ones.

Said message of the ending basically being movies allow us to make your own reality where things are better and e.g. Sharon Tate doesn't get horribly murdered [or Hitler gets assassinated in 1944] and that's the literal fairytale, see title, magic of Hollywood.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also the part where everyone talking to Starling is filmed looking at her straight on (intimidation?) whereas Starling's POV is always to the side of whoever she's talking to. I own the Criterion edition of SotLs and the lack of a commentary track always pissed me off to no end so I get to learn this poo poo 30 years later.

I can't link to it, but the youtube series Every Frame a Painting goes into shots like this. It's been a while, but I think the episode is called who wins the scene or something like that. It also examines the scenes in Se7en that have a similar style.

Really the whole series is great, especially the Kurosawa episode on movement telling the story.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just watch all of Tony Zhou's Every Frame a Painting because they are fantastic. You'll also be overcome with sadness at the end when you realize there won't be anymore.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I still haven't watched every episode of Every Frame's a Painting because I don't want it to end.

Was there ever a reason given for stopping it? Some really good YouTube content never finds an audience, but I don't think there's a single episode of EFaP that doesn't have more than a million views. It seems weird to just walk away from something like that.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I still haven't watched every episode of Every Frame's a Painting because I don't want it to end.

Was there ever a reason given for stopping it? Some really good YouTube content never finds an audience, but I don't think there's a single episode of EFaP that doesn't have more than a million views. It seems weird to just walk away from something like that.

https://medium.com/@tonyszhou/postmortem-1b338537fabc

they got busy, basically

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Season 2 Episode 4 of Mindhunter (not a spoiler):

During the interview with Elmer Wayne Henley, when Elmer gets upset because he thinks the interviewer is insinuating that he was gay, he stands up and yells a few slurs while an arrow on the wall is pointing right at him.

Once he sits down, the label is still there (and I just noticed the position of the prisoners outside the room :iiasm:)

but after he calms down, the camera angle changes.

I just watched Sharp Objects and that was full of this kind of stuff so it really stuck out to me.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I recently saw Le Planete Sauvage, a 70's French animated film about aliens who keep humans, which they call "oms", as pets.
I'd very much recommend it, it's beautiful and surreal.

Anyway, right now I'm listening to the soundtrack on spotify and I saw a track listed as "le cite des hommes libres" and thought "that's weird they call them humans in the score... ooooh right, hommes = oms :saddowns: "

Probably less subtle if you're French

bitterandtwisted has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Aug 23, 2019

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

My Lovely Horse posted:

Speaking of fight choreography, in Kung Fu Killer a serial killer targets martial arts masters, and he takes on each in their own fighting style, some based around kicks, some around strikes or weapons etc. And sure enough, in the final showdown between the hero and the killer, they fight using all the styles in the same order the murders happened. Maybe not particularly subtle and kind of an obvious choice but it was well done.

I love that movie. Wang Baoqiang and Donnie Yen :allears:

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Friend posted:

Season 2 Episode 4 of Mindhunter (not a spoiler):

During the interview with Elmer Wayne Henley, when Elmer gets upset because he thinks the interviewer is insinuating that he was gay, he stands up and yells a few slurs while an arrow on the wall is pointing right at him.

Once he sits down, the label is still there (and I just noticed the position of the prisoners outside the room :iiasm:)

but after he calms down, the camera angle changes.

I just watched Sharp Objects and that was full of this kind of stuff so it really stuck out to me.

I definitely wouldn't have caught that. And I have been trying to pay extra attention to this season for subtle or even blatant imagery.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Rare Double Post

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Kramdar posted:

Rare Double Post

I saw it coming

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I was just watching Jurassic Park, briefly, and when the automated cars start, if you listen carefully, you can hear Tim yelling 'Aaaah! A ghost is driving the car!'

It was cute.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Samovar posted:

I was just watching Jurassic Park, briefly, and when the automated cars start, if you listen carefully, you can hear Tim yelling 'Aaaah! A ghost is driving the car!'

It was cute.

The first few minutes of JP pretty much show you all the themes as well as exactly what's going to happen in the rest of the film. Oh no, a horrible King-Kong-esque giant monster is coming through the trees - oh wait, it's just a forklift (modern technology) blindly crashing along, pushing nature out of its way. This poo poo is dangerous but we've got dozens of trained professionals and all sorts of security protocols in place - whoops, poo poo went horribly wrong and here comes the yelling and the screaming anyway! The team desperately initiates the safety measures and tries to save the badly mauled guy from ~ ah gently caress it, just shoot it and cut our losses, nothing can be saved, we're done.

Edit: another subtle JP moment: about halfway though the movie there's a scene where Hammond is sitting in the JP restaurant eating tubs of icecream and he explains to Ellie that since the power was off the icecream was going to melt and he didn't want to let it go to waste. Later when the kids are trying to escape from the raptors in the kitchen Tim lures one into the walk-in freezer and only just manages to trap it because it's slipping around on the wet floor ... which is flooded with melted ice because Hammond left the door open when he was getting the icecream.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Aug 24, 2019

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The first few minutes of JP pretty much show you all the themes as well as exactly what's going to happen in the rest of the film. Oh no, a horrible King-Kong-esque giant monster is coming through the trees - oh wait, it's just a forklift (modern technology) blindly crashing along, pushing nature out of its way. This poo poo is dangerous but we've got dozens of trained professionals and all sorts of security protocols in place - whoops, poo poo went horribly wrong and here comes the yelling and the screaming anyway! The team desperately initiates the safety measures and tries to save the badly mauled guy from ~ ah gently caress it, just shoot it and cut our losses, nothing can be saved, we're done.

Edit: another subtle JP moment: about halfway though the movie there's a scene where Hammond is sitting in the JP restaurant eating tubs of icecream and he explains to Ellie that since the power was off the icecream was going to melt and he didn't want to let it go to waste. Later when the kids are trying to escape from the raptors in the kitchen Tim lures one into the walk-in freezer and only just manages to trap it because it's slipping around on the wet floor ... which is flooded with melted ice because Hammond left the door open when he was getting the icecream.

I remembered that I posted that last one in this thread and I went back to find it. It was almost four years ago. That's insane.

I love that bit. It plays into Chaos. Life found a way to survive, through Hammond not caring about shutting the door, since the power was out either way.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Everyone knows this scene from Jurassic Park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRxQ3dcaQk

The kids get away because one of the raptors slips in the freezer after Tim runs in there, right? Then they lock him in and run away while the other raptor is still dazed from running headlong into a cabinet. But, why is the freezer sitting there open in the first place, with ice on the ground?

Earlier in the film, we see Hammond sitting in the dining room eating lots of ice cream . He says it's because it's all melting. The power was knocked out by Nedry, and everything, including the freezers, are off. Hammond went into the freezer, got ice cream, and left it open because it doesn't matter since the power's out. Everything is melting in the freezer, including all the ice.

After the power is turned on, the freezer restarts. All that melted ice is now water on the floor, which re-freezes. The door is still open from Hammond leaving it open, allowing Tim to run into it. The raptor slips on the ice that was allowed to melt and refreeze because of Hammond's action letting the freezer warm up faster than it would have if it was sealed.

Hammond leaving the door open allowed Tim and Lex to survive the kitchen, by giving Tim somewhere to run, and giving the raptor somewhere to slip. His thinking about ice cream saved his grandchildren.

One further than that, actually. Lex surviving the kitchen allows her to be able to be in the control center when the raptors attack again. This allows her to use the computer to lock all the doors. By locking the doors, Grant and Ellie survive. Hammond's desire for ice cream saves everybody.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Hammond is still a tool. Keep stuff cold a bit longer and close the door behind you.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cat Hatter posted:

Hammond is still a tool. Keep stuff cold a bit longer and close the door behind you.

And thats why your grandkids will get eaten by velociraptors.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

SiKboy posted:

And thats why your grandkids will get eaten by velociraptors.

Probably, but they'll enjoy slightly firmer ice cream if they survive.

...or have some ice again to put on a wound when everything is over

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Cat Hatter posted:

he's got like 5 bigass tubs of ice cream on the table, he probably didn't close the door because his hands were full and why make two trips?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CaptainViolence posted:

he's got like 5 bigass tubs of ice cream on the table, he probably didn't close the door because his hands were full and why make two trips?

Didn't that door open outwards? He's got legs to kick it shut. (I'll concede this point if the door opened inwards)

I'm just still salty that during the last power outage my roommate opened the fridge and let all the cold air out, ruining most of the food before I could get the generator going.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Cat Hatter posted:

Didn't that door open outwards? He's got legs to kick it shut. (I'll concede this point if the door opened inwards)

I'm just still salty that during the last power outage my roommate opened the fridge and let all the cold air out, ruining most of the food before I could get the generator going.

Woulda saved your life during the dinosaur apocalyse so i think you're the rear end in a top hat in that situation

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cat Hatter posted:

Um...how long does that typically take? Pretty sure most of your food would be OK for more than a few hours.

Or did it like happen overnight or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Maybe he lives on Mercury, you don't know :v: