Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Liquid Communism posted:

Pegasus is... not very positive about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Shadowrun/comments/co6ks7/german_publisher_pegasus_reaction_to_6e/

"Translation:"We are sorry that you don't enjoy the english version. :/ Hence why the revisioned, errata'ed and extended, german Pegasus-Version is much better. :) " (yes the structure of the sentence is a bit weird even in german)"

Yeah similar to the entire announcement where they said "Well, yeah, we knew about plans for 6e but not when and not like this and also we didn't talk to Catalyst about it for half a year now, so we won't comment" they are a bit left alone here. Luckily CGL did everything in their power to make sure everyone knows it's their fault, so no one blames Pegasus or any other partner companies for it.
I'm looking forward to what they came up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Lol. Both the SR and SR Missions FB pages just plugged the Chicago Shadows kickstarter.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
One interesting thing I’ve found is since knowledge skills have no rating, a level 1 skilljack ( .1 essence, 20k -get it used for .11 and 10k) can cover all knowledge skills. Swapping skills is a free action or whatever it’s called now (costs nothing and is instant). Knowsofts are 2.5k each, so not super cheap but certainly easy to get.

Languages are now a 4-level skill with level 4 being natural speaker. The only differences between levels 1-3 are bonus dice, so level 1 should be enough really. You get starting knowledge/language skill points tied to attributes (think Logic x3 But id have to check.)

So if you’re ok with a very minor essence and money cost you can load up on as many knowledge and language softs as you desire and never waste karma on them again. Yay.

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007
I didn't catch this on the first read through but 6E changed up spell opposed/resist/soak.

5E you did MAG + spellcasting opposed by BOD (direct physical spells and then do net hits as unresisted damage), WIL (direct mana spells and net hits unresisted damage), or REA + INT (indirect spells, force + net hits damage with force AP resisted by BOD + ARM).

6E changes this up. The mage's part is the same, just replace spellcasting with sorcery skill. Both direct physical and direct mana spells opposed by WIL + INT (same unresisted net hits damage), and indirect spells become opposed by REA + WIL (damage is MAG/2 round up + net hits, resist with BOD).

Is this a good change? It didn't make much sense to me aside from WIL being the overall magic defense attribute now.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Conquest7706 posted:

I didn't catch this on the first read through but 6E changed up spell opposed/resist/soak.

5E you did MAG + spellcasting opposed by BOD (direct physical spells and then do net hits as unresisted damage), WIL (direct mana spells and net hits unresisted damage), or REA + INT (indirect spells, force + net hits damage with force AP resisted by BOD + ARM).

6E changes this up. The mage's part is the same, just replace spellcasting with sorcery skill. Both direct physical and direct mana spells opposed by WIL + INT (same unresisted net hits damage), and indirect spells become opposed by REA + WIL (damage is MAG/2 round up + net hits, resist with BOD).

Is this a good change? It didn't make much sense to me aside from WIL being the overall magic defense attribute now.

That's not a bad nerf for indirect spells. Can they dodge area effect spells? Still sucks about armor being nerfed, but when it came to dedicated casters, huge chunks of it just went away anyway.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Also, it looks like maybe weapon damage was brought down a bit? I wonder what 6E Damage-vs-body looks like compared to 5E dam-vs-body-and-armor in actual boxes taken. Or where the break-even point would have been on armor. A quick, no-math thought is that it's around 12 armor, but I'm not sure.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
There are a couple guys who are freelance/errata team on the official forums who go to such great lengths to put a positive spin on all the bad ideas and rules. It’s actually very funny to read how Not Mad they act when coming up with fringe scenarios where the rules as written totally make sense (but not in the other 99% of cases.)

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

OB_Juan posted:

Also, it looks like maybe weapon damage was brought down a bit? I wonder what 6E Damage-vs-body looks like compared to 5E dam-vs-body-and-armor in actual boxes taken. Or where the break-even point would have been on armor. A quick, no-math thought is that it's around 12 armor, but I'm not sure.

Damage codes are about 4-6 points less across the board, so 12-18 armor on the face of it. But then you get firing modes giving you a DV bonus in exchange for an AR penalty (oh no my edge) and extra successes still giving you +1 DV and suddenly things start to suck, especially if you're an archetype that can't afford to throw 6-9 points at Body or max out Intuition+Reaction.

Edit: I suppose it bears repeating how busted the Anticipation action is for 4 Edge. Combined with a gun capable of Full Auto, you get 10 attacks that can be allocated as you see fit, including all at one target, doing full DV for -6 AR. This is a thing anyone has access to even if you don't go for that ambidextrous gunbunny from earlier in the thread.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 12, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oof, quiet part out loud there.

Also;

But the path of blood magic is totes cool you guys.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I am unsure why as a rigger you would ever get a Vehicle Control Rig implant.

As far as I can tell the only difference is normally you use Piloting + Reaction, but jumped in you use Piloting + Intuition. Piloting is linked to Reaction, so typically a rigger would have that as their highest skill. The Engineering skill is linked to Logic, so I’m not sure why Intuition is considered a positive for jumping in? It seems to not be needed otherwise for a rigger.

A VCR adds its rating as a dice pool bonus to vehicle tests, and a bonus point of edge (total? Per level? Unclear editing?). At 1 essence and Rating^2 x 30,000 (I’m not kidding) I don’t see how it’s worth going above level 1 or really taking at all at that investment.

You’d want a Rigger Command Console to control drones I suppose, but I don’t see where jumping into anything is really a great benefit.

So I guess you can lump riggers with Street sams and damage soak tanks as dead classes.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

Oof, quiet part out loud there.

Also;

But the path of blood magic is totes cool you guys.

I mean yeah, but tbh I kind of find myself getting less annoyed by it than I would have in the past

partially because the quiet part hasn't actually been quiet in a long time, and 6E being even more overtly Magicrun is just a continuation of existing post-scandal trends at CGL

and partially because dumb tonal and rules stuff just seems less important in a situation where a new edition has been released and added nothing on the plot/lore side, and completely botched stuff up to the point of unplayability with garbage mechanics (even by SR standards!)

like its very bad, but at this point it's just one more turd in a lake of sewage

LGD fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 12, 2019

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

You do get the extra 2/3d6 Initiative while plugged in, which could net you an extra Major Action.

The real coup is running a bunch of drones with a total 4d6 Init to allow for 2 attacks from each of them, putting them on par with someone running Synaptic Booster/Wired Reflexes 3. (or 2, if you take RAW saying Wired Reflexes give you a Minor Action -and- an Init Die, which would also give you an extra Minor Action, thanks editing)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

SilverMike posted:

You do get the extra 2/3d6 Initiative while plugged in, which could net you an extra Major Action.

The real coup is running a bunch of drones with a total 4d6 Init to allow for 2 attacks from each of them, putting them on par with someone running Synaptic Booster/Wired Reflexes 3. (or 2, if you take RAW saying Wired Reflexes give you a Minor Action -and- an Init Die, which would also give you an extra Minor Action, thanks editing)

I’ll have to look into the drone rules, but you can just not jack in and use wired reflexes instead and physically control the vehicle for much less money.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 12, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

So I guess you can lump riggers with Street sams and damage soak tanks as dead classes.

That which was never alive cannot die.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Bigass Moth posted:

I’ll have to look into the drive rules, but you can just not jack in and use wired reflexes instead and physically control the vehicle for much less money.

30K for VCR 1 vs. 150K/250K for Wired 2/3. But certainly, Riggers don't get too much more bonus-wise than an unenhanced Pilot. 5E at least made Thresholds easier to hit with a better Control Rig.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

SilverMike posted:

30K for VCR 1 vs. 150K/250K for Wired 2/3. But certainly, Riggers don't get too much more bonus-wise than an unenhanced Pilot. 5E at least made Thresholds easier to hit with a better Control Rig.

VCR 1 is 60k, I forget what Wired 1 costs but I know it’s less and it has a lot more useful function unless you have car chases in every game.

I may have missed if it said you needed a VCR to use the RCC, but I don’t think it’s a requirement. Not sure if you even need a data jack to use it.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

VCR is Rating^2*30K, not Rating*2*30K. And Wired 1 is distinctly inferior for driving since you won't get enough Minor Actions to trade for a 2nd Major Action like you would with any level of VCR + hot-sim.

Still pretty underwhelming to be a Rigger who likes to pilot their own vehicles in this edition.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

SilverMike posted:

VCR is Rating^2*30K, not Rating*2*30K. And Wired 1 is distinctly inferior for driving since you won't get enough Minor Actions to trade for a 2nd Major Action like you would with any level of VCR + hot-sim.

Still pretty underwhelming to be a Rigger who likes to pilot their own vehicles in this edition.

You can also get targeted by hackers jumped in.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Related to that, I can't find anything that says what Device Rating or Firewall a gun might have, so good luck exploiting gear with wireless bonuses. And even if you could, it'll have enough condition boxes to withstand 2 or 3 attacks.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/wraithworks/status/1160655647538651136

Should share this here too. CGL continues to impress with how lovely they are.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Given their reputation re: payment I don't expect chrom to get many bites.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I just happened to check back, and found the following clarification:

So yeah, absolutely spec work. loving assholes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

This really reeks of "Give us ideas that we can use ourselves later and not get back to you" with the amount of work having to be put into that 'submission'.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

1 cent per word.

Average.

On a flat rate per module.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Literally a fifth of the pro rate for short fiction.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

wiegieman posted:

Literally a fifth of the pro rate for short fiction.

Shadowrun has no need for professional writing, surely.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
An imaging scope let’s you use a Minor action Take Aim, which makes the opponent unable to use defense rating for edge gain purposes. Not that armor matters, but this also means you can use an AK-97 with a scope for full auto at extreme range since there are no other penalties for long range shooting besides attack rating.

Also since armor no longer matters, the Ares Viper Slivergun gets a new life. Best damage for pistols, burst fire, silenced, biggest magazine, best attack rating especially with a smart link. Flechette ammo used to suck against armored targets, but now it doesn’t matter so for this gun it’s a non issue.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

"Corporations are omnipotent and god-like in their control"

"Also our corporation is a bunch of clownshoes bullshit"

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
"Jump through your hoop and get us your perfect idea" is...quite a way to phrase it when you're speaking in SR slang, chummer.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Those are the exact same arguments I see every time some dipshit tries to rationalize spec work as "not spec work".

"haha yeah we get it, this totally isn't spec work, though... believe us we know the feeling" :fuckoff:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's totally not spec work. It's totally going to be credited to you. It's totally not going to be used for profit with you not seeing a single nuyen.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

loving poo poo I hate "You not only have to sneak in to the place, they can't ever know you were ever there, even long after you're gone" missions. :cripes:

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
The not-Shadowrun web series trailer kickstarter project reached its funding goal (barely).

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Oh thank god, completely unrelated runner team attacking at the same time. Explosions.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

You need escape artist because at some point while climbing through an air duct a sam's hand might come through the metal, grab your leg, and repeatedly slam you against the side

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Ronwayne posted:

loving poo poo I hate "You not only have to sneak in to the place, they can't ever know you were ever there, even long after you're gone" missions. :cripes:

That reads to me like 'make the structure fire that destroys all the evidence look like an accident' to me. :unsmigghh:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

...yes.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Knockout Blow (Edge Boost):
If the inflicted damage of any type is greater than the target’s Willpower, immediately fill up the Stun Condition Monitor. The target is Unconscious. No damage overflows to the Physical Condition Monitor. Cost: 2 Edge

Shark Mentor spirit:
All: Edge Boosts cost 1 less for Close Combat tests with Blades or Unarmed.
Adept Boost bonus: Free Killing Hands

Combine these two and you get unlimited 1 Edge TKOs with your Troll punchman. Unless you run into Willpower greater than 6+ which is uncommon in any edition since it has such little utility.

The changes to damage and Edge have made it near instant death to have low attribute scores for:
Body (damage resistance)
Agility (most attacks)
Reaction and Intuition (defense/dodge)
Willpower (magic resistance)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Related, Deckers and spellcasters are going to max/near-max their Willpower to resist various things. What do you do as a TKO artist to overcome this? Grapplefucking.

"...If you want to grapple with an opponent, inform your gamemaster what you’re doing, then make an unarmed Close Combat + Agility test. Instead of making the net hits into damage, the attacker rolls Strength + net hits vs. opponent’s Strength..."

"Damage the opponent: The attacker may attempt to inflict damage on the defender with a Close Combat + Strength vs. Strength + Reaction. The attacker’s unarmed Attack Rating is used, and the defender suffers the –4 dice pool penalty for being restrained..."

Takes 2 Major Actions instead of 1, but even if you give your target 6 REA + 3 STR, they're facing 16 (8 STR and 6+2 Unarmed specialization) vs. 5 dice for being pummeled, giving you an average of +3 DV from the net hits. And you're also receiving Edge for each attack vs. a restrained target, which fuels your TKO aspirations.