Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

But what about that time everyone suspected Leon and Celes? :v:

no no, everyone accused them, totally different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Gonta is good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

goblin week posted:

Gonta is good.

Gonta is a fine upstanding gentleman :unsmith:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I just finished this game earlier in the week, absolutely fantastic stuff! Very excited to get into this thread and see people's theories. I hopped in at a good time too.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Just bit the bullet and picked this game up from the PS4 summer sale. Not quite caught up to where the LP is, but one interesting thing I’ve noticed is that the shot-put ball disappears from the warehouse during the first free-time. Shuichi is the only one in the room at the time :tinfoil:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Just bit the bullet and picked this game up from the PS4 summer sale. Not quite caught up to where the LP is, but one interesting thing I’ve noticed is that the shot-put ball disappears from the warehouse during the first free-time. Shuichi is the only one in the room at the time :tinfoil:

By the time I get to Chapter 6, everybody commenting in the thread will have already finished the game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Extremely inconsiderate of those few remaining people who haven't played the game to buy it instead of continuing to dance for the amusement of those who have :colbert:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Sindai posted:

Extremely inconsiderate of those few remaining people who haven't played the game to buy it instead of continuing to dance for the amusement of those who have :colbert:

:hmmyes:

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I'll be the dancing monkey indefinitely because video games cost money and I'm poor, but I wish the game's pacing would speed up a little so we get to the juicy stuff. How many more investigation updates are there gonna be?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I will also stay blind for the sake of the LP.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ladies/gentlemen, you are heroes :patriot:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I'll stay in dancing monkeys troupe due to various combinations of laziness, backlog and spending habits. Inevitably anything related to Danganronpa in general has brought up stuff from V3 but without context of where or when.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Skeleton Mom posted:

I'll be the dancing monkey indefinitely because video games cost money and I'm poor, but I wish the game's pacing would speed up a little so we get to the juicy stuff. How many more investigation updates are there gonna be?

Most investigations in the series consist of talking to all the remaining characters and poking everything in or near the crime scene, so there's not a lot left here.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So was the screen rolled up like a long pole and used to poke at the door to the library which resulted in a bowling ball falling off the shelf and smacking Mr Mystery Talent in the head? It was an accidental kill by Gonta?

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So was the screen rolled up like a long pole and used to poke at the door to the library which resulted in a bowling ball falling off the shelf and smacking Mr Mystery Talent in the head? It was an accidental kill by Gonta?

Rom maybe it was the guy who murdered a bunch of mafia with an iron ball. By hitting them. With a tennis racket. Just a thought.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mecha_Face posted:

Rom maybe it was the guy who murdered a bunch of mafia with an iron ball. By hitting them. With a tennis racket. Just a thought.

Wow, what a racket! Taking out a racket with a racket like that...

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

But what about that time everyone suspected Leon and Celes? :v:

You must be misremembering; those two weren't suspected by anyone (other than by us because the cases were so easy). Naegi and Hagakure were the main suspects the characters were accusing in those two chapters.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

MUSIC: Despair Searching

We still have a few people left to question.

Are you here alone, Kokichi?

Hm? Yeah, why?

We all agreed to investigate with at least one other person.

Why would you do something that would make everyone suspicious of you?

Cuz I'm an evil supreme leader, remember? I'm supposed to be suspicious!

What were you doing at the time Rantaro was killed?

Oooooh, an interrogation from the Ultimate Detective himself? What a rare opportunity. Then I'll gladly answer! To tell you the truth...

Why? Do I really need to tell you guys what I was doing?

...What?

If I gave you honest answers now, it'd just make everything boring, riiiight? I'd rather just tell you at the class trial! That would be way more fun!

Wh-What are you saying?

I'm just saying...this is a game. Let's have some fun with it!

...This isn't a game. Rantaro was murdered. All our lives are at stake!

Nee-heehee...I'm so excited. I want the class trial to start already.

Is...Kokichi actually enjoying this situation?

Nee-heehee... This is a game. We should have fun with it, right?

Alright, have fun playing with yourself.

You were on lookout inside this classroom, right?

Yeah. From here, we could keep an eye on the basement, and it was close to the library, too.

We were both in this classroom when the murder occurred.

I see... Then the probability that you two committed the crime is extremely low...

No...I did leave for a bit to see what was happening in the basement. But besides that, we were together the whole time, until the receiver went off.

Y-Yeah, that's right...

Is that all you wanted to ask?

Oh, may I ask you one more question? Specifically, about that vent...

Because the culprit wouldn't be able to use this vent if we're in here on lookout.

Under those circumstances, it would be difficult to sneak into the library from here.

With those in the way, it would be even harder for someone to go in and out.

Really? I will be sure to save that important piece of information to my memory bank.

I hope my line of questioning has not offended either of you. It is necessary, so that we may find the truth.

Keebo, you totally sounded like a detective or a lawyer just now!

Let's ask these two what they were doing when the body discovery announcement played.

Not at all, Reasonablist Bear.

Ah... My alibi.

...Um, are you glitching right now?

No, I'm just searching for the right words.

So...you don't have an alibi?

But Ryoma said he was alone in his room, too.

Geez, way to throw him under the bus.

But I see... Both Keebo and Ryoma don't have an alibi... That means, it's possible one of those two is the mastermind...

Umm... Am I under suspicion because I don't have an alibi?

No... I won't suspect you just because you don't have an alibi.

"I'd have voted for Siri for a third term if I could!"

Thank you very much. But...you don't need to be so PC.

"I'd prefer it if you were more like a Mac."

Huh? How'd you know?

My appearance and actions thus far suggest I am someone who would commit a murder.

At least he's self-aware...

When the body discovery announcement played, I was in the dining hall, eating supper.

The Monokubs prepared the meal for me. It was listed on the menu as... "Pasta that tastes like a lonely old lady eating her grandkid's birthday cake" or somesuch...

...That pasta sounds depressing.

That concludes my alibi... I do hope it can be of some help.

Ah...if there was something to note, it would be that Miu was tinkering with something or other. There was also a brief period of time where Tsumugi left to use the restroom.

The restroom, huh? Interesting. Well, Tsumugi *is* the Ultimate Cosplayer.

Someone else? But who?

I don't know, but I'll go talk to her. She should be at the crime scene in the library.

Huh? What about Kokichi?

We don't need to ask him. He was definitely alone. Everyone we talked to hadn't seen him, so no one would corroborate his alibi, right? That means he must have been alone.

Shuichi and l were on lookout in the classroom that connects with this vent...

When the countdown stopped, all that obnoxious noise stopped, too. I wonder what would've happened if the time limit had expired...

Huh? Don't rush me! I'm almost done sketchin' the floor plan! Till then, just shut the hell up, Kaediot!

...I wonder if she'll finish the sketches on time...

Yeah, kinda...

Hmph, well that's a good thing, right?

I just want to make sure of something... What were you doing when the body was found?

Unfortunately, I don't have one. I was just in my dorm room alone.

That backs up what Keebo said... But if you think about it... Since he said something that he knows will make him suspicious...maybe I can trust him?

You're going to ask Tsumugi about what we talked about, right?

During the body discovery announcement, I was in the dining hall.

Kiyo, Tsumugi, and Miu were there as well. Kiyo was dining, while Miu was tinkering with some piece of machinery.

ln retrospect...Miu was most likely working on that drone of hers.

Kirumi and the others' alibis seem to check out. Now...I just need to confirm Tsumugi's.

Hey, Tsumugi... I need to ask you something...

Ummmmm...

She looks like she's busy thinking about something, she won't talk to me...

Okay, but that's no excuse to give up.

I'm gonna lift your skirt, Tsumugi. You okay with that?

I'm not!

Wait! Kaede!

You better talk, or I'm gonna lift your skirt for Shuichi to see. And then I'm gonna tie your skirt around your head so everyone can see your panties.

Oh, took you long enough.

Well, I can't let Shuichi's innocent eyes get dirty...

Are you saying you've seen dirtier, Shuichi?

What did you want to talk about?

That means you could disguise yourself as anyone—even one of us, right?

Oh, so that's what you think of me. Well, since we're in this situation, I'll be clear...

You can't? Isn't it easy to just wear someone else's clothes as a disguise and—

Ah! S-Sorry!

Well...you'll probably have a hard time believing me if I just say it, so I'll show you.

Show me...how?

Ah, wait!

MUSIC: Rise of the Ultimates

Hey, now...there's no way I'd do a thing like that.

Well, because I'm going to cosplay as you, of course. Now give me your clothes.

Huh? But—

Come on, come on. Hurry up!

NO MUSIC

After telling me to look the other way, I waited while she changed into my clothes...

AUDIO: Equivalent Exchange

MUSIC: Finding Peace Party

A gross, bumpy rash had spread across Tsumugi's body.

Hi...I'm Kaede Akamatsu...

A-Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!

This isn't cosplay of the spiky-headed underling of a certain space emperor... This is cospox—an allergic reaction that happens when I dress up as real people. This is the price for my power... The equivalent exchange for my cosplay.

O-Okay! I get it! Change out of my clothes already!

Tsu-Tsumugi couldn't have disguised herself...

You understand, since you saw the cospox, right? Cosplay is love.

From fiction into the real world... Like an oracle channeling the gods.

That's why I can cosplay various characters from across the wide world of fiction... But it's impossible to cosplay as someone who exists in the real world.

You know, this never comes up in the game, but I wonder if she can cosplay as fictionalized versions of real people, or historical figures. What happens if she dresses as the version of Nobunaga from Onimusha, or anyone from Bungo Stray Dogs?

I-I really didn't need that long explanation.

Monokid's face is cycling through the colors of the rainbow, he's shaking up and down, and steam's coming out his ears. Poor baby.

No, it's not! We're just announcing that the photos are ready! Don't interrupt meeee! Anyway, I'll be waiting at the warehouse.

...Huh? Hey... Does my face look weird to you? Has my face...always looked this weird?

Ah! Wait, Kaede!

Next time, we finish the investigation by finding out who's on candid camera.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 8, 2023

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Skeleton Mom posted:

I'm gonna see if I can update twice per week. If all goes well I'll finish the investigation on Monday.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ok, magic cosplay powers, you do you Japan. Still not any blaring culprits though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

whitehelm posted:

You must be misremembering; those two weren't suspected by anyone (other than by us because the cases were so easy). Naegi and Hagakure were the main suspects the characters were accusing in those two chapters.

Oh, you meant suspecting in-universe. My misunderstanding.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Cospox is a strong candidate for the stupidest thing in the entire Dangan Ronpa franchise.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bifauxnen posted:

Cospox is a strong candidate for the stupidest thing in the entire Dangan Ronpa franchise.

You're just plain wrong :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If it wasn't Tsumugi cosplaying as Dodoria, it must have been the actual Dodoria who committed the murder. :eng101:

Bifauxnen posted:

Do I need to remind you of the mind hack anime?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Do I need to remind you of the mind hack anime?

Yeah it can't possibly be the winner, but man it's up there!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly I'll give them that just to give you a reason the evidence can't also be pointing to Tsumugi in disguise every class trial.

I suspect half the point of the scene was just to get Kaede in her underwear anyway. They could have just gone to her room and used a spare uniform. Danganronpa has never been great about fanservice.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Cospox makes some sense in-universe. It's a little reminiscent of the DR anime with the particular rules each person had to follow. We accept that a bunch of the Ultimate talents go beyond gifted and into straight-up magical, so I can buy this.

That said... How far does cospox go? Is she allowed to dress as herself? Because if not, what character is she playing? And if so... Is she "not real" in some way or another? This just feels like the kind of thing that's gonna get way weirder before the end.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Cospox is possibly chuuniest thing in Danganronpa games, and I'm saying this when Gundham exists. The lid on V3's controversiality is starting to open.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Bifauxnen posted:

I, uh... yeah, it is pretty bleh. I have some more thoughts about it, but I think I'll sit on them for now.

And leave you with just one:

How do we know that wasn't just Tsumugi cosplaying someone with cospox?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I kinda love Cospox, because it's very clearly the author looking you straight in the eye, saying, "She can't impersonate the other characters, because that would mess with the mystery. Don't think about this too hard."

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
And I can get behind that! I mean, these have always been silly mystery stories with the barest possible nods to reality, and ad long as the mystery is preserved (and it has been, so far), what's the harm? I kinda have more of a problem with the whole "get Tsumugi's attention by lifting her skirt" thing, which I had forgotten/blocked out... eesh.

And at least cospox has a purpose, and serves ti highten the mystery, rather than stomp all over it. (I will kill you, mind hack anime...)

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
the mind hack anime at least has some grounding in psychology, cospox is just whole cloth bullshit (but I don't mind it)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Tenebrais posted:

Honestly I'll give them that just to give you a reason the evidence can't also be pointing to Tsumugi in disguise every class trial.

I suspect half the point of the scene was just to get Kaede in her underwear anyway. They could have just gone to her room and used a spare uniform. Danganronpa has never been great about fanservice.

I mean it could have been worse, they showed her from the back and she wasn't wearing lingerie or anything, which is way more restraint than I was expecting when "take your clothes off" came up in this anime game.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Capfalcon posted:

I kinda love Cospox, because it's very clearly the author looking you straight in the eye, saying, "She can't impersonate the other characters, because that would mess with the mystery. Don't think about this too hard."

Before the actual release of the game, a common murder theory was that Tsumugi would end up killing someone by using her cosplay abilities to disguise as another student.

So it's interesting that they appear to nip it in the bud early. (Of course, that leaves open the possibility of loopholes, like if one of the characters is operating under an alias and technically counts as "not being a real person". Not saying whether that happens or not, though.)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Of all the messed up stuff about that scene, the biggest is that the ultimate cosplayer declined the opportunity to use "your clothes. Give them to me." literally.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

the mind hack anime at least has some grounding in psychology, cospox is just whole cloth bullshit (but I don't mind it)

I'd argue that cospox is based in psychology too. Clearly her mind is causing her to break out in hives; it's not a physical reaction to wearing other people's clothing.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

resurgam40 posted:

I kinda have more of a problem with the whole "get Tsumugi's attention by lifting her skirt" thing, which I had forgotten/blocked out... eesh.

Yeah, like... what the heck, Kayayday? Is she thinking straight? Why not just call out a pop culture reference or something?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If anime has taught me anything, casual sexual assault is just how high school girls say hello!

Speaking of creeps, I kind of love how Kiyo was all just "I understand you might be suspicious of me, since I look and talk and act like a serial killer. Here is my alibi."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kaede seems to be low-key the thirstiest person in the new cast.

Tenebrais posted:

Speaking of creeps, I kind of love how Kiyo was all just "I understand you might be suspicious of me, since I look and talk and act like a serial killer. Here is my alibi."

At least he's self-aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
The students seem too focused on opportunity and not enough on method. And unless the twist is that the killer showed up in the pictures and everything is solved, we would appear to have only a few methods available:
1. Suicide. Presumably with a gravity assist. Short of a coincidence, avoiding the cameras in such a case seems improbable.
2. Shuichi did it. He set up his alibi carefully, he knew where the cameras were placed, he had the ability to deactivate or activate them, and he had the ability to enter the library and set up a murder. (Kaede would have seen anything "above" when she was rearranging books so if something got placed to fall and kill someone it happened after that.)
3. Miu did it. She knew about the cameras and could have avoided them or deactivated them remotely, and she could have used a drone as the murder weapon.

If Miu spread the word about the cameras or the game plays with coincidence another option is possible.

If it's suicide, that explains why nobody confessed to skip the trial. Miu would certainly have confessed, so she's likely a red herring. Shuichi is the only character right now with a known reason to murder and get caught: he's full of guilt for his past success as a detective. It's unclear whether he originally intended to frame Kaede and changed his mind because of his feelings for her, or if he set up an alibi because that's how it is done.