Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

feedmegin posted:

The 9 was the last Android one, though.

No, the Pixel C was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shame that Nvidia doesn't make newer Shield Tablets considering that I'd just take a nintendo switch without dock and joycons as tablet (and well, something bigger than 6.2" as my phone is 6" already).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Guillermus posted:

considering that I'd just take a nintendo switch without dock and joycons as tablet (and well, something bigger than 6.2" as my phone is 6" already).

So....the Pixel C then. They use the exact same SoC.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah but at a reasonable price like the Nexus 7 was back then.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Yeah but at a reasonable price like the Nexus 7 was back then.

The 2013 Nexus 7 launched at $270 for the 32GB version and a used 32GB Pixel C is available from third party sellers on Amazon for about $300. Not exactly apples-to-apples but close enough.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

In Europe finding an used Pixel C under 400€ is kinda hard and for that price I may as well get a new Samsung, Lenovo or whatever. My N7 still works and Raspberry Pi4 is out now so I'll end making myself a portable multimedia/emulator abomination instead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have to say, Samsung has been kicking rear end with the Tab S5e. I think I've gotten more updates to this in like the first month or two than I did with the Tab S3 in general. It's so strange to have a samsung device with the lastest version of the OS and the latest security patch level.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

bull3964 posted:

I have to say, Samsung has been kicking rear end with the Tab S5e. I think I've gotten more updates to this in like the first month or two than I did with the Tab S3 in general. It's so strange to have a samsung device with the lastest version of the OS and the latest security patch level.

Do you notice the mid range CPU in it? All the reviews are great screen, great form factor but yesh the cpu/GPU for the price..

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wibbleman posted:

Do you notice the mid range CPU in it? All the reviews are great screen, great form factor but yesh the cpu/GPU for the price..

The CPU is fine. Keep in mind that the SD670 is faster than the SD820 and trades blows with the SD835. It's not a slow chipset at all, just budget. It performs MASSIVELY better than the Tab S3 it replaced.

The screen and the speakers alone are worth the cost of entry.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It's a shame Huawei it is what it is because they actually put a headphone jack into the new Mediapad, which would make me strongly consider it as a replacement for my M5. As it is, I'll probably look into getting the S5e as well at some point.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Hey so I recently picked up a "All-New Fire 7 Tablet" (2019, 9th gen 16GB, without Special Offers) and followed some steps to install Google Play, Nova, and LauncherHijack. It worked fine at first, but then the next day said LauncherHijack was blocked.

I saw on the previous page a link to "Amazon Fire Toolbox" for dealing with some of these issues, but it looks like it does not support 2019 Fire 7 (yet?). Is there a particular tool I should use for the new Fire 7 to disable this app blocking, and possibly remove Amazon's forced apps, etc?

edit: Should I bother with a full root+custom ROM, assuming there are options for that? I haven't messed with custom roms etc since my Samsung Moment.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 3, 2019

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

peepsalot posted:

Hey so I recently picked up a "All-New Fire 7 Tablet" (2019, 9th gen 16GB, without Special Offers) and followed some steps to install Google Play, Nova, and LauncherHijack. It worked fine at first, but then the next day said LauncherHijack was blocked.

I saw on the previous page a link to "Amazon Fire Toolbox" for dealing with some of these issues, but it looks like it does not support 2019 Fire 7 (yet?). Is there a particular tool I should use for the new Fire 7 to disable this app blocking, and possibly remove Amazon's forced apps, etc?

edit: Should I bother with a full root+custom ROM, assuming there are options for that? I haven't messed with custom roms etc since my Samsung Moment.

Pretty sure all you need is a repackaged launcher hijack apk, as the Fire is just blocking a specific named app. I don't have a link on hand, but something like "Kindle fire launcher hijack repackage" or "rename" should work to get you what you need. This worked on a Fire HD 10, anyway.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

sourdough posted:

Pretty sure all you need is a repackaged launcher hijack apk, as the Fire is just blocking a specific named app. I don't have a link on hand, but something like "Kindle fire launcher hijack repackage" or "rename" should work to get you what you need. This worked on a Fire HD 10, anyway.
OK, yeah I found and installed this "Launcher Hijack Clone" https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79434906&postcount=395

But how long until Amazon wises up and blocks that clone too, or other more general variations somehow? I think I would rather uninstall the amazon apps/services that perform this blocking if I can.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This probably isn’t the best place but is there a thread or place where I can bitch about the google nest hub? Because lol I’m glad I didn’t pay full price for this thing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

This probably isn’t the best place but is there a thread or place where I can bitch about the google nest hub? Because lol I’m glad I didn’t pay full price for this thing.

My wife likes hers but we also only paid $50. What don't you like about it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LastInLine posted:

My wife likes hers but we also only paid $50. What don't you like about it?

Well I got it because I got an email from YouTube tv saying you could watch it on there but you can’t?

Also you can’t really interact with anything from YouTube? Like I can tell google to like a video but I can’t see my subscribed channels or save a video for later.

It’s a nifty little screen but it doesn’t seem like you can do much with it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Well I got it because I got an email from YouTube tv saying you could watch it on there but you can’t?

Also you can’t really interact with anything from YouTube? Like I can tell google to like a video but I can’t see my subscribed channels or save a video for later.

It’s a nifty little screen but it doesn’t seem like you can do much with it.

It works just like a cast target so you can cast to it but you'll have to do all interaction on the device you initiate from.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LastInLine posted:

It works just like a cast target so you can cast to it but you'll have to do all interaction on the device you initiate from.

Yeah I can’t cast to it for some reason. Just seems weird you can’t interact with the YouTube content in any real way.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I can’t cast to it for some reason. Just seems weird you can’t interact with the YouTube content in any real way.

I'm not home right now but just thinking about it, I can't remember mine being in the list of available casting targets either. I don't cast a lot of video content and the list is populated on the fly so it's never in the same order so I could see me just overlooking it but now you really have me curious. I'll update this post in a couple of hours and let you know. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to work.

Edit: vv Yeah it shows up for me as well. Definitely in the YouTube TV app.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 16, 2019

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Assuming the Nest Hub is the same as the Google Home Hub I can definitely cast to mine, it shows up as "Living Room display" in the list of cast targets. I can also interact with it by touch, I forget if you have to tap or swipe but you can control playback on the display. I have mine set up in the same room as the chromecast attached to the TV, so when I'm casting to the TV I can also control the chromecast with voice and touch via the hub.

I did notice that Google Play Music works differently when casting to the hub. To a chromecast it just shows cover art and playback progress, but on the hub it also shows lyrics if they're available.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I don't have any issue casting YouTube TV to mine either.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, due to a big event in a mobile game I play I overworked my Samsung Galaxy Tablet a bit, and now I am having difficulty charging it. I don't think it was due to battery damage, but rather due to damage to the usb port, as connecting a charger does work, but only if it is at certain angles to force contact between the charger's spikes and the internals of the tablet. I can sometimes keep the wire in this position by balancing it on a kleenex box next to the tablet, but this is unreliable and half as likely to drain the battery even more. I will be attempting to get another charging cord (I can get one for <4$ at work), and potentially by using a toothbrush with a bit of rubbing alcohol to clear any corrosion from the port.

I would like to get some goon advice before trying the latter though, since that might be a little more risky and someone here might have had a similar problem.

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

So, due to a big event in a mobile game I play I overworked my Samsung Galaxy Tablet a bit, and now I am having difficulty charging it.

If your remedy doesn't work, I would take it apart and see if the charging port is replaceable. Maybe you can watch a teardown video on YouTube and find that out.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Oh hey. My Tab S3 got One UI, Android Pie, and the August security patch yesterday.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Amazon is releasing an updated Fire HD 10 with USB-C and a (slightly) better SOC. Still 2GB of RAM, unfortunately, and we'll have to wait and see if people can get the Play store and alternate launchers working with it.
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...-freetime-price

If history is any indication, it will be $100 on Black Friday.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

edit: nm

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How is MS Office on Android? I want an ˜10-inch tablet with a keyboard and pen that can do web browsing, Office, and OneNote. I almost got a Surface Go but when I played with one at Best Buy it was pretty slow and laggy. Is there a 10" Android tablet that will do the same stuff as a Surface Go but not slow?

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary
Is Aosp any good for tab s2? They offer OTA patches, does patching lineageos require much work? Security patches are more important than necessary the newest version of Android.

E. So Is Aosp discontinued, So lineageos Is the best option?

Hiekkakauppias fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 7, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Amazon is releasing an updated Fire HD 10 with USB-C and a (slightly) better SOC. Still 2GB of RAM, unfortunately, and we'll have to wait and see if people can get the Play store and alternate launchers working with it.
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...-freetime-price

If history is any indication, it will be $100 on Black Friday.

Yep, the 2019 HD10 is currently $99.99 for Black Friday. Also chiming in to say if you own a previous generation Fire tablet, you can trade it in (shipping label provided) for variable gift card credit an additional 20% off any new Fire tablet purchase. I got a 2019 Fire HD10 for $14.99 before tax after signing up for an Amazon Store Card which gave me $60 credit, and got an additional $10 credit + the 20% off from trading in an old 2015 Fire 7 tablet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

teagone posted:

Yep, the 2019 HD10 is currently $99.99 for Black Friday. Also chiming in to say if you own a previous generation Fire tablet, you can trade it in (shipping label provided) for variable gift card credit an additional 20% off any new Fire tablet purchase. I got a 2019 Fire HD10 for $14.99 before tax after signing up for an Amazon Store Card which gave me $60 credit, and got an additional $10 credit + the 20% off from trading in an old 2015 Fire 7 tablet.

This isn’t a bad deal. I’ve got an older fire tablet laying around.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The QA on these fire tablets seem to be pretty bad; which makes sense I guess, given how cheap they are. The first one I received had a dead pixel so I had a replacement Fire HD 10 sent out after a chat with customer service. I received the replacement today and it has a hilarious amount of backlight bleeding. Third time's a charm I guess?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

In making those tablets, Amazon had a list of priorities and every single line on that list is “be cheap”. Their support is nearly non existent because it’s cheaper for them to send you an entirely new device than to pay a tech support person an hour’s wages in another country.

Their QA process was almost surely just someone looking at a label and weighing the box within a margin of error.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there any discount native android tablet worth getting over the fire stuff currently?

I picked up a new Fire 7 on prime day for super cheap, but still a bit disappointed with :
1) Hacky workarounds for launcher and play store. (Like half the time I can't get the top pull down menu to work and the soft buttons don't show up or some poo poo, making it nearly impossible to use)
2) Being a bit sluggish overall
3) The internal storage fills up incredibly easily with apps, and putting in a 128GB microSD makes zero difference because I'm not actually allowed to move anything over to it.

So now I'm considering upgrading to a fire 10 despite knowing better, only because its very cheap and so am I. Someone help save me from myself.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

For what it's worth, the Fire HD 10 is what I'd say a "good" Android tablet, and Google Play apps have worked fine for me so far. The display is decent, despite the aforementioned issues I came across in the first couple tablets I received, and it's snappy enough, with 32GB base storage, Wireless AC, and USB type-C for charging.

I use mine mostly to read comics which I think it excels at—the 1900x1200 res and IPS display look great, and the 16:10 aspect ratio makes the shape of the tablet feel similar in size to an actual, physical comic book page. Browsing the forums is fine on the Awful app (which is in the Amazon app store), and ingesting video via Plex, YouTube, Prime Video, HBO GO, etc., also goes over really well with this tablet.

I wouldn't pay the full price for a Fire HD 10, but for $99 I think it's a good deal. But as mentioned, I got mine for $14.99 before tax after a bunch of promo credits, and after sending back the defective tablet with a dead pixel, Amazon added another $30 promo credit to my account so they essentially paid me to have one of their Fire HD 10 tablets. I honestly can't complain about anything after that lol.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

OK, I went ahead and just got a Fire 10 for $99 cyber monday special.

When I got the 7, it looked like hacks etc were much more widely supported on the larger models, so maybe that will be a thing I can look forward to. I'd like to try completely removing amazon bloatware if possible.
Even if not, at the very least it will satisfy the other two Fire 7 gripes which I didn't mention in my previous post: microUSB in a 2019 model :wtc: and poo poo screen resolution.

e: And yeah I realize I'm bitching about the quality of a $45 tablet (I opted for "without special offers" on that one or it would have been $30 i think), I guess I just was hoping for slightly more somehow.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 2, 2019

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
In my experience, the performance on the 10 inch was poor enough relative to my phone that even for reading, it was kind of a mental battle for me to decide whether to just use my big phone or actually do it on the tablet. The 7 inch, being so low res and only marginally bigger than a phone, was just not at all interesting. The 10 is at least good for bigger format reading.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

sourdough posted:

In my experience, the performance on the 10 inch was poor enough relative to my phone that even for reading, it was kind of a mental battle for me to decide whether to just use my big phone or actually do it on the tablet. The 7 inch, being so low res and only marginally bigger than a phone, was just not at all interesting. The 10 is at least good for bigger format reading.

Do you have a 9th gen Fire HD 10? It's pretty snappy for me, relative to my modestly spec'd phone (Huawei Mate SE). But yeah, reading comics on my phone's 6" display is definitely a worse experience than reading them on the Fire 10. Comixology and ComiCat both run just as well on the tablet as they do on the phone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

teagone posted:

Do you have a 9th gen Fire HD 10? It's pretty snappy for me, relative to my modestly spec'd phone (Huawei Mate SE). But yeah, reading comics on my phone's 6" display is definitely a worse experience than reading them on the Fire 10. Comixology and ComiCat both run just as well on the tablet as they do on the phone.

I had the one before this current gen, but ended up selling it and getting a ridiculous deal on a Windows 10 tablet from SA mart. If that hadn't popped up, I probably would've just done a base model iPad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ahh. Maybe that's why. 9th gen got a slight spec bump in the SOC department (advertised as 30% faster than previous gen, octa-core v quad-core). I can't compare since I've never owned a Fire HD 10 before this one, but I'm guessing previous gen's lower spec'd CPU and less RAM could make it feel a bit sluggish at times since it was essentially driving the same 1900x1200 display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I just got an Android Tablet, but it doesn't come with any default apps for drawing or writing text files, so are there any recommended apps for that (preferably free, as long as they don't come with mal/spyware)?