Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Supposedly all of SOI block is already on Arena already, just not active like Amonkhet and Kaladesh are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

AnEdgelord posted:

Approach was only good for like 3 weeks during the entire time it was in standard.

Hi, i'm Teferi, Time Raveler. Perhaps you've heard of my friends Wilderness Reclamation, Narset and Tamiyo?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

While I'm no longer willing to bodky speculate on Arena plans, to the best of my knowledge no other DCG had tried selling new packs not legal in their standard format. I feel like it wouldn't sit well with the primarily Arena players who haven't gotten used to multiple formats and that many years of cards.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Silhouette posted:

Hi, i'm Teferi, Time Raveler. Perhaps you've heard of my friends Wilderness Reclamation, Narset and Tamiyo?

If you think approach of the second sun of all things is the best you can do with those cards then I have very VERY bad news for you.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

ItBreathes posted:

While I'm no longer willing to bodky speculate on Arena plans, to the best of my knowledge no other DCG had tried selling new packs not legal in their standard format. I feel like it wouldn't sit well with the primarily Arena players who haven't gotten used to multiple formats and that many years of cards.

Hearthstone does.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm gonna guess that they'll do flashback drafts of those old sets, and you can use wildcards for anything you don't pick up that way.

Maybe they'll sell packs too, but I wouldn't expect them to push those heavily.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The American Dream posted:

I just saw vraskas contempt was down to like $2. After they rotate and go down to $1 something I’m going to buy a set solely for if wizards creates arena modern

ngl I'm doing this with the checklands that are about to rotate. I would definitely try Historic in paper if/when Wizards pushes it as a Constructed format for paper play, but like I said before I think they'll wait at least one more rotation before they try that just so there's so greater deck variety.

E: I feel like I should buy into Arena now and slowly build up wildcards/rotated cards to play Historic but :effort:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Magic Underwear posted:

Hearthstone does.

doesn't hearthstone hide them in their web store outside of the main game interface so it's kind of hard to get them without knowing what the deal is

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

President Ark posted:

doesn't hearthstone hide them in their web store outside of the main game interface so it's kind of hard to get them without knowing what the deal is

Once a set rotates out of standard you can't get them in the in game shop anymore or, I'm pretty sure, use in game currency for them. You have to go through the battlenet shop to find them and there are disclaimers that the packs can't be used in standard.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ilmucche posted:

It was the vizier/ devoted combo deck with finale of devastation and ballista and whatever. Ended up winning our qualifier to go to the next qualifier.

Yes, I have played the deck a bit and I think it's not a great build.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

President Ark posted:

stop moving the goalposts.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

C-Euro posted:

ngl I'm doing this with the checklands that are about to rotate. I would definitely try Historic in paper if/when Wizards pushes it as a Constructed format for paper play, but like I said before I think they'll wait at least one more rotation before they try that just so there's so greater deck variety.

E: I feel like I should buy into Arena now and slowly build up wildcards/rotated cards to play Historic but :effort:

The friendly colors were like $2 before they reprinted them and they became legal again, I figure they'll go back down to that by 2020, along with the Dominaria versions.

It was very easy to get people to throw in random Kaledish fast lands to make up the difference in a trade at the end of last year.

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy
Do we know how long the core 20 mastery system is going for? Is it up to the day before Eldraine? I’m trying to figure out whether I’ll hit 100 if I keep hitting my weeklys, but it entirely depends on how far in we are.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

ShaneB posted:

Yes, I have played the deck a bit and I think it's not a great build.

Fair enough, the guy managed to (casually) spike our qualifier and took down hogaak, death shadow and jeskai control along the way so the small sample size makes me think it's good.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Personally I think it's pretty unlikely Historic actually goes back to BFZ block given how unpopular the format was especially for limited, though I suppose you can get round that by releasing drafting as Oath + BFZ from the off.

Wizards are seemingly pretty wary about releasing too much too soon, especially with the fatigue over the release of War/MH1/M20 so close together. I wouldn't be surprised if Arena got one old set per year to make up for the lack of Commander or master's product, but the timing of the actual release seems tricky.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I also wonder if we ever get a Historic Masters or something similar on Arena

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Silhouette posted:

Noone is gonna play approach over Nexus, bc Nexus can combo with reclamation without needing teferi to be active

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't think hazoret or ramunap ruins would be particularly egregious in a format with cards printed in the last four sets in it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'd like to see if Smuggler's Copter would make any headway and if Fatal Push in particular keeps it in check, since we didn't get to find out in standard.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Magic Underwear posted:

Hearthstone does.

They keep selling old sets, they're not selling brand new cards. Unless something has changed in the last couple years.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

mandatory lesbian posted:

Noone is gonna play approach over Nexus, bc Nexus can combo with reclamation without needing teferi to be active

I think I'd probably play one Approach in that deck. Just for the ability to win a game on the spot, rather than having to go through a million turns.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Balon posted:

Man remember when deaths Shadow was the boogie man?

I loved when that deck was popular because it was free wins against people who’d sleeve it up because it won the last GP or whatever but didn’t know how to play it properly and would do all your work for you if you were on Burn or something.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

I loved when that deck was popular because it was free wins against people who’d sleeve it up because it won the last GP or whatever but didn’t know how to play it properly and would do all your work for you if you were on Burn or something.

I loved when it was popular because death and taxes was briefly a decent metagame choice for larger events and I got to have my brief moment in the sun.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Riversideblues posted:

Do we know how long the core 20 mastery system is going for? Is it up to the day before Eldraine? I’m trying to figure out whether I’ll hit 100 if I keep hitting my weeklys, but it entirely depends on how far in we are.

Everything I've seen says core 20 mastery rotates out the same day Eldraine releases.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Someone on reddit was saying September 24th, because it would be 12 weeks after the pass started, the free version of mastery offers what would previously have been 12 weekly rewards worth of packs, and it's just before Eldraine prerelease which is when sets have been released on Arena. Honestly Wizards should be a lot better about communicating this stuff in the first place, though I guess they have an incentive to let people think it might stick around longer than it actually will.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Can't wait to get back to the random Karn Lattice and Phoenix decks, back when modern was good.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sinteres posted:

Someone on reddit was saying September 24th, because it would be 12 weeks after the pass started, the free version of mastery offers what would previously have been 12 weekly rewards worth of packs, and it's just before Eldraine prerelease which is when sets have been released on Arena. Honestly Wizards should be a lot better about communicating this stuff in the first place, though I guess they have an incentive to let people think it might stick around longer than it actually will.

Wizards genuinely has no idea what they're going to do next, and if they do, they might just change their mind before then.

Also 12 weeks seems strange since that's only a combined 48 weeks a year, so where do the other 4 weeks go? I was under the impression that M20 mastery goes away the second Eldraine mastery starts with no transition period. I might be wrong (or wizards just changed it three times since the last time I looked)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sinteres posted:

This checks out to me, because going through the 28th (since everything resets on Sundays now) would let you get 45 levels between now and then if you maxed out your XP gain, and I'm at level 57 with no money spent on levels and without missing any available XP. If my math isn't wrong*, cutting it off a week early wouldn't let people actually get to 100 without buying more levels in the pass.

*I only added 2000 more in extra XP since I think there are two vacation events left, if they do more events or codes it obviously changes

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Wizards genuinely has no idea what they're going to do next, and if they do, they might just change their mind before then.

Also 12 weeks seems strange since that's only a combined 48 weeks a year, so where do the other 4 weeks go? I was under the impression that M20 mastery goes away the second Eldraine mastery starts with no transition period. I might be wrong (or wizards just changed it three times since the last time I looked)

IIRC the core and third set are the current set for a shorter time than the first and second sets of a rotation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sinteres posted:

IIRC the core and third set are the current set for a shorter time than the first and second sets of a rotation.

they should just make eldraine the current set for a year

ALL THE FABLES

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
So sick of every single limited game being against a deck with 3+ Heartpiercer Bows.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

So sick of every single limited game being against a deck with 3+ Heartpiercer Bows.

Did other limited formats in Arena have such blatant strategies that only worked because of bot drafting, or is this one the most prominent so far?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

On the other hand I love that Reckless Air Strike is a maindeckable card even in Bo1

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sinteres posted:

Did other limited formats in Arena have such blatant strategies that only worked because of bot drafting, or is this one the most prominent so far?

I think gates was super easy to draft

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sinteres posted:

yes. Dimir was the meme in GRN though it eventually ended up more or less balanced after a month or so, then gates and grasping thrull in RNA. WAR the meme was bad picks (the common one was pick 3 ugin) but idk if there was a specific strategy that was as dominant.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I do think the options are condensed into either Ux fliers/bows or Rx elemental aggro for the top draft decks. I guess theres the undead servant deck but its not that good and gets worse if your opponent is a better player.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Ugin's Conjurant was consistently undervalued by the bots for the entire run of WAR

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

This checks out to me, because going through the 28th (since everything resets on Sundays now) would let you get 45 levels between now and then if you maxed out your XP gain, and I'm at level 57 with no money spent on levels and without missing any available XP. If my math isn't wrong*, cutting it off a week early wouldn't let people actually get to 100 without buying more levels in the pass.

*I only added 2000 more in extra XP since I think there are two vacation events left, if they do more events or codes it obviously changes

Excluding the rest of this week, there would be 6 weeks remaining to the 28th of Sept.

250 x 15 wins x 6 weeks = 22,500
500 x 7 x 6 weeks = 21,000
Who’s knows events = 2,000

That means there’s 45.5 levels left to earn correct? That should just get people to 100 assuming they’ve been earning all that they can. And if they give us the extra week for Eldraine prerelease and take it Oct 4th there should be some surplus levels if someone missed something here or there.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I know I almost definitely missed the conversation at some point but it seems weird they don't just seed the start of draft season with a bunch of bot drafts and just use something like Eternal's asynchronous drafting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Stangg posted:

I do think the options are condensed into either Ux fliers/bows or Rx elemental aggro for the top draft decks. I guess theres the undead servant deck but its not that good and gets worse if your opponent is a better player.

you can make an ok GW season of growth deck if you get a couple. not sure it's top tier though