Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

The hush of the night sky is the silence of a graveyard.
AAII has gotten overhyped because it filters out people who don’t like it in the first place in AAI and leaves people expecting the best game in the series to be disappointed( it isn’t really a crowd pleaser imo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
IMO AAI2 *is* the best game in the series though. Which is not to say it's perfect, but none of the other games are. I mean what are the other candidates?

AA1? Many of the cases are too straightforward, and it pulls the thing of having Mia *just tell you the solution* too often.

AA2? Has only the one good case, even though it's a doozy.

AA3? I guess this really comes down to how much you like Dahlia and Godot. Me I found Godot's characterisation inconsistent and annoying, and Dahlia is just too one-note Evil.

AA6? This probably comes down to how much you like Apollo, and buy the idea of Sahdmadhi as an honorable opponent and not, well, a worse Franziska.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 15, 2019

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

While Sahdmadhi is imo a weak prosecutor (for arguably story reasons depending on how you choose to interpret what’s implied) I’ll always like him because he respects Ema’s talent and assistance.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

He was ok but I miss Klavier.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nobody is as good as Edgeworth. Blackquill comes close, but I'm a huge fuckin weeb

Manfred Von Karma was great, but who knows how quickly he would have worn out his welcome

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like Franziska but she's a much better character as a tertiary ally than a primary antagonist

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Manfred von Karma is great but he's so transparently evil that he could only work as an antagonist for one case.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
AAI2 connects Edgeworth's character arc between the main series trilogies in such a perfect way.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Regy Rusty posted:

Manfred von Karma is great but he's so transparently evil that he could only work as an antagonist for one case.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I think the thing with AAI is that it's really hard to tell where you are in a given case unless you pay attention to what your savefile says ("Beginning, Middle, End") - I can say "Court Day 2" in an AA game and understand that just fine, but with AAI cases it feels like you're on a long marathon until the end since the argument sections are more akin to random battles than long stretches where you're really in it for a while.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like the one with Quercus where you are 7 hours in and 15% done

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Alder posted:

He was ok but I miss Klavier.

Replaying AJ, I regret to remind you that while Klavier is excellent (alongside Kristoph), you will get tired of Guilty Love so fast

Not to mention, well, Lamiroir's theme. Guitar, Guitar is tedious the first time you hear it, and every single freaking time it comes up it's damned unskippable.

god I want to get to Feenie's disbarmant and the Mason system so bad

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Klavier's air guitar, the first few times you see it: Amazing

Klavier's air guitar, the fifth time in a row between video clips that are seconds too long each: BE A NORMAL loving PERSON

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Waffleman_ posted:

Klavier's air guitar, the fifth time in a row between video clips that are seconds too long each: BE A NORMAL loving PERSON

I kinda have this reaction with some of the 3DS games where some of the animations are way too frequent for how long they are, I feel.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Waffleman_ posted:

Ironically Klavier is probably the most normal out of all the prosecutors next to Edgeworth.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Ironically Klavier is probably the most normal out of all the prosecutors next to Edgeworth.

Yeah and he cares the least about being Right, which I respect. Iirc he backs down far quicker than any other prosecutor would've, except maybe Simon

I like Klavier a lot and like his appearances in later games.

And unrelatedly 4-1 is still the best tutorial case in the series

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Simon is wonderful and I noticed in the DLC case that his bird laughs when he does.

Rescued case 4 of AA6 singlehandedly (though I liked the disassociative person too).

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

FairGame posted:

Simon is wonderful and I noticed in the DLC case that his bird laughs when he does.

I like when he slams the desk and the bird looks shocked

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

rewatching AA5 definitely reminded me that I love every time Taka lands on the Judge's head

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/aceattorneybot/status/1162184578108395526

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waffleman_ posted:

I like Franziska but she's a much better character as a tertiary ally than a primary antagonist

she's just "von karma but not a villain" so yeah it turns out that manfred was a great guy to have on your side

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hasn't he only returned for one case?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

this but every time he appeared in aa4 also

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Klavier is the worst because he bills himself as the honest prosecutor but he's a worse cheater than anyone short of Manfred himself and doesn't even have the excuse of wanting to win or being a dick who needs you to prove yourself. You don't even get the catharsis of beating him or teaching him to not be garbage because the game pretends he was cool all along. If AJ ended with him quitting prosecution and being a full-time rock star it would have been a much more satisfying conclusion than the other way around.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I could have sworn he appeared in 6-2 but looking it up it's just some flowers in Trucy's dressing room that he sent her.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Give us Bobby Fullbright's identical twin brother, Robby Fullbright. You cowards. You hacks!

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Klavier is the worst because he bills himself as the honest prosecutor but he's a worse cheater than anyone short of Manfred himself and doesn't even have the excuse of wanting to win or being a dick who needs you to prove yourself. You don't even get the catharsis of beating him or teaching him to not be garbage because the game pretends he was cool all along. If AJ ended with him quitting prosecution and being a full-time rock star it would have been a much more satisfying conclusion than the other way around.

Yeah Klavier belongs in the dumpster with Sahdmadhi. I like AJ but Apollo would've gotten a much better start to the series if his first prosecutor wasn't so lame. Getting Edgeworth on your side feels like something you've earned, Klavier just rolls over .

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don’t like the way Klavier made fun of my forehead. I mean Apollo’s forehead.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

How did Klavier cheat again?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think he did updated Autopsy report sort of stuff.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Does that even still count as cheating? I thought that was like, Prosecuting 101 in Japanifornia.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not sure you can rag him for withholding information when you frequently walk into court with a bunch of poo poo you nicked from the crime scene.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I see any cheating by Klavier as a product of a corrupt system. He went to the same college as the one in DD and likely didn’t question how he was being taught/how he worked until he started working, or by 4-1.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

But that mindset at the law college was a byproduct of the dark age of the law brought about by Phoenix getting disbarred during Klavier's first trial.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can imagine that exposing a celebrated attorney as a fraud in your first trial could sour you on the whole enterprise, making you feel you need to bend the rules to win in court. Having him realize that Apollo is actually being honest and that he could be likewise could've been a good arc for the character.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Tesseraction posted:

Not sure you can rag him for withholding information when you frequently walk into court with a bunch of poo poo you nicked from the crime scene.

That argument doesn't really work since the police/prosecutor frequently miss or omit details. If they didn't gently caress up or cheat as much the defence wouldn't have to investigate themselves.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Off the top of my head:

4-2: He's real dodgy about presenting a knife with the defendant's fingerprints and a murder weapon without them and never allows you to press this point, and is super eager to let Stickler and Tiala go when they're obviously guilty because there's no obvious faults in their latest testimony. That's super standard AA prosecutor stuff, but it doesn't really sell him as a chill honest prosecutor who's more concerned with the truth than winning cases.

4-3: He knows all along that Lamiroir is blind and Machi isn't and at least part of the body double act going on during the show, and withholds all of it even when it's obviously pertinent to the case. Also Machi is the most obviously innocent defendant ever and the case against him is dodgy as hell, but he doesn't even begin to question it.

4-0: He knows Phoenix had been working Zak's case for less than 24 hours and Kristoph was the guy working it beforehand, and asks zero questions when Kristoph gives him the scoop on the forged evidence. This one he at least brings up later, but he doesn't seem to feel that guilty about it.

4-4: He straight up tries to blackmail Sparkel to give false testimony in front of everyone. He's also weirdly reluctant to accept the existence of the real murder weapon after it's been proven that the coffee wasn't poisoned and there was poison in the stamp frame, but the blackmail was really blatant and it's weird that nobody ever picks up on it.

It's not like it couldn't have been made to work; there's plenty of reason for Klavier to be dodgy in these cases. He knows Apollo is working for Phoenix and put Kristoph in jail using dodgy evidence. He could have a personal grudge and distrust that Apollo's investigations are fully above-board, but he never actually questions Apollo's evidence. He's got a personal stake in most of the cases, so he could have gotten defensive when he gets a whiff that Kristoph or Daryan are about to be implicated, but he's actually more cooperative when they're on the stand than anyone else.

The motivation we actually get for his sleazy behavior are things like him wanting an easy win, or wanting to close the case early to get to a CD signing he booked on the same day as the trial, or one time straight up shits and giggles because he just wanted to embarass Ema. That's not chill and honest or even remotely sympathetic.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 16, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Off the top of my head:

4-2: He's real dodgy about presenting a knife with the defendant's fingerprints and a murder weapon without them and never allows you to press this point, and is super eager to let Stickler and Tiala go when they're obviously guilty because there's no obvious faults in their latest testimony. That's super standard AA prosecutor stuff, but it doesn't really sell him as a chill honest prosecutor who's more concerned with the truth than winning cases.

4-3: He knows all along that Lamiroir is blind and Machi isn't and at least part of the body double act going on during the show, and withholds all of it even when it's obviously pertinent to the case. Also Machi is the most obviously innocent defendant ever and the case against him is dodgy as hell, but he doesn't even begin to question it.

4-0: He knows Phoenix had been working Zak's case for less than 24 hours and Kristoph was the guy working it beforehand, and asks zero questions when Kristoph gives him the scoop on the forged evidence. This one he at least brings up later, but he doesn't seem to feel that guilty about it.

4-4: He straight up tries to blackmail Sparkel to give false testimony in front of everyone. He's also weirdly reluctant to accept the existence of the real murder weapon after it's been proven that the coffee wasn't poisoned and there was poison in the stamp frame, but the blackmail was really blatant and it's weird that nobody ever picks up on it.

It's not like it couldn't have been made to work; there's plenty of reason for Klavier to be dodgy in these cases. He knows Apollo is working for Phoenix and put Kristoph in jail using dodgy evidence. He could have a personal grudge and distrust that Apollo's investigations are fully above-board, but he never actually questions Apollo's evidence. He's got a personal stake in most of the cases, so he could have gotten defensive when he gets a whiff that Kristoph or Daryan are about to be implicated, but he's actually more cooperative when they're on the stand than anyone else.

The motivation we actually get for his sleazy behavior are things like him wanting an easy win, or wanting to close the case early to get to a CD signing he booked on the same day as the trial, or one time straight up shits and giggles because he just wanted to embarass Ema. That's not chill and honest or even remotely sympathetic.

I think it's probably testament to me powering through the DS trilogy that I kinda retroactively forgave him for all this poo poo because of how much of a shithead Sahdmadhi was so soon afterwards.

I think it also helps that while that concert video was unskippable and crap, I pissed myself at his guitar bursting into flames every time, especially when he's rolling around on the floor like a numpty and no-one cares. Really relieved my annoyance at him.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. The trilogy prosecutors all tend to engage in that stuff too but they get redemption arcs, or at least an "actually I guess I'm bad" moment. It feels worse coming from someone who never seems to admit fault or develop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To be honest though Godot's redemption is just going "okay yeah I set up an elaborate plan to be the hero that backfired and killed Maya and Mia's mother and made another woman take the (DEATH PENTALTY) fall for it while I gleefully prosecuted her all so I could be the hero. *knocks head* tehe~"