Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Steel Ball Run started publication in 2004 so it's very likely that Araki had Speakerboxxx/The Love Below blasting in his studio 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCIDVh31VDw

as always, don't read the comments

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

found this it could be relevant to this series

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Don't be fooled, Mountain Tim! :ohdear:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Thinking about it some more, Fleetwood Mac’s You can go your own way would make a great ending song.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
There are so many Fleetwood Mac songs that would be so good, but my personal favorite is The Chain.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I'm gonna be so pissed off when the anime inevitably changes up all the colour schemes I'm used to for Steel Ball Run. If Gyro isn't covered in lime green balls I'm gonna flip.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I wish it were next week so I could read the next section.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

NickRoweFillea posted:

I wish it were next week so I could read the next section.

I just started reading it to get ready for next week!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i plan to read the segments on the weekend before their designated week

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Ended up binging the whole thing again so I'll just have to check each week to remember which chapters I can talk about.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Next week is the future though! and this is now! And as Johnny knows very well, you have to walk before you can run, so let's keep it focused on this first week with some extremely basic discussion questions for new folks

- What do you think about this Gyro fella? From his mysterious motives to his style, he has a pretty strong presence early on, how are ya feeling about it
- We've kinda talked about Johnny already, but he's a pretty different kind of Joestar. It's pretty early, but is Johnny working for ya so far?
- What about the race's strange founder, Stephen Steel? It's hard to tell if he's just a normal JoJo weirdo or an actually weird dude,]any thoughts on him?
- What's up with that Diego Brando guy? Did you know he's a great British jockey?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Joining in for my second reread. Boy that opening with Sandman still sure is terrible

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So far steel just seems normal JoJo weird who just wants to put on an awesome race, but it's JoJos so who knows!?

Not sure if we're going to have Dio be a supreme fucklord again or not, but I'm sure Araki will surprise.

Not sure how to feel about Johnny, but it's interesting that he's more interested in learning more about someone else and winning their respect, and doesn't have winning$50,000,000 as his primary motive.

I want to know more about Gyro's balls.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Diego seems pretty similar to Di--o. I was expecting Dio, but it was still Dio. I'm not sure how to approach analyzing him, we don't know much yet. Hasn't even done anything evil yet, he's just there and a cocky rear end in a top hat.

Johnny seems contrary to Jonathan. He's not just tropes subverted, however, we even have some backstory for why he's like this, and you can understand him without ever knowing about Phantom Blood, the ideas behind him stand on their own.

Gyro is a completely new spin on the Zeppeli role, as he is unlike both previous characters but still kind of a mentor/virtuoso. He's fun to be around and makes it seem like we know what he's about, but it's clear we don't know everything about him yet and there might be some unexpected twists in his backstory.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My one problem with Johnny Joestar is that outfit looks worryingly similar to what I wore as pyjamas in high school so I can never take him seriously. Also his hat is a little silly with the holes in it but I don't hate it like I hate Mista's hat.

Diego's cool. His hat says DIO and, like, why shouldn't it. You probably save time telling people that you're Dio when your hat tells people that you're Dio for you. Also it has a cute bow.

Gyro Zepelli just has an amazing look all over and I want to see this animated just to see how many colour schemes they put on this man. Don't get me wrong, I really like the colours used in the Colour Edition or whatever it's called but look at this poo poo

That is a fine man.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Dio is kind of interesting in that it *seems* like not having Johnny/Jonathan growing up alongside him as a rival sibling tempered him a bit? In that Dio isn't immediately being depicted as out to conquer the entire world but just wants to conquer the world... of horse racing!

Johnny being primed for character growth from panel one has me invested in his journey in a way I never was with Jonathan in the anime at least (haven't read the manga but assuming it's largely the same), but there's also this odd factor of seeing Gyro almost through Johnny's eyes, since so much of the narrative has been focused on Gyro's own mysteries and drive - e.g. Johnny almost comes across as having the same point of view as the reader, and his fascination mirrors ours.

edit: Steel hasn't made much of an impression on me yet

Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 16, 2019

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I love Jonathan, but you’re right, he’s a bit of a static character. He’s heroic and noble, and that’s that. Johnny is an rear end in a top hat with a ton of room to grow, which makes for a much more dynamic character.

Phantom Blood is still good, though. Even low tier Jojo is still Jojo. Sometimes I miss the comedically beefy artstyle...but then i look at those pics of Gyro

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's the difference between a reactive character and an active character.

Jonathan does what he does because Dio antagonises him. Johnny sets out to follow Gyro because he wants to change himself.

:eng101:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Jonathan is interesting in the sense that he's a paragon that starts this heroic legacy and yet all his descendants that succeed him as protags are all varying degrees of rear end in a top hat anti-hero, even Johnny, his spiritual counterpart is like this.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Its neat to see a disabled main character, that kind of representation is really cool. I can foresee an inspiring story as he overcomes this challenge.

It's not a great comparison but so far I get this vibe of the story going kinda like gurren lagann did in learning now to take your life back and I'm excited to see how araki writes it.

It's a comeback story which is kinda unusual for jojo's

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
An interesting thing about Johnny being an rear end in a top hat, is that he isn't a confrontational rear end in a top hat like a Vegeta or a Bakugo, but just like, kind of abrasive and pretty self centered, but not absurdly so. He just kinda says mean and sarcastic things, but isn't blowing up at everyone or everything. It's nice!

e: He also seeks Gyro's advice and attention a lot! He looks to Gyro when the Boom Booms roll up and is trying to get Gyro to notice him when he's playing with the cork. Johnny feels like A Person

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 17, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

johnny brings powerful petty bitch energy and that's just what the roster of jojos needed, tbh

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Expect My Mom posted:

An interesting thing about Johnny being an rear end in a top hat, is that he isn't a confrontational rear end in a top hat like a Vegeta or a Bakugo, but just like, kind of abrasive and pretty self centered, but not absurdly so. He just kinda says mean and sarcastic things, but isn't blowing up at everyone or everything. It's nice!

e: He also seeks Gyro's advice and attention a lot! He looks to Gyro when the Boom Booms roll up and is trying to get Gyro to notice him when he's playing with the cork. Johnny feels like A Person

He walks the line so well as a character. He's just a bit of a dickhead, but not so much that he's unlikeable. Like, he's a realistic level that he could be a real person that's just a bit grumpy and sardonic.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Yeah, and Gyro walks a fine line between goofy and serious, and at this point he's still obviously hiding some poo poo. When I first started reading, I was wondering which demeanor was "real" and what was for show. Gyro's kind of a fake rear end bitch and comes across more like Buccellati but with more goofy moments. I think one thing that helps with SBR is that there's a big cast but we get more time with them in pairs or by themselves, so we have more intimate moments with them acting like normal people while wild poo poo is going on.

It was pretty good to see Johnny and Gyro's dynamic forming, like Johnny wants to learn from Gyro but he's waaaaay more focused and detail oriented while Gyro's constantly like, "It's fine, it's fine, it's fiiiiiine....probably." It's so fun.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i like that every time araki realizes he had gyro acting too cool he made sure to have him gently caress it up with a 'nyo ho'

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Jonathan worked in Phantom Blood because it was a short, simple story. Johnny being his foil is necessary in some respects, with the writing of later Jojo parts being more complex and having more depth. Otherwise you get, well, Giorno. You need a character that the reader can empathise with and understand and treat like a human rather than a superman.

Gyro kicks rear end, and the comparison to Bruno is warranted. He has the same kind of relationship to Johnny where he treats him as both apprentice and peer (where the other two Zeppelis took only one of those roles). In some respects, like Bruno, he feels more like the protagonist than Johnny. He's a cool dude, even if not as handsome as Mountain Tim.

YggiDee posted:

Lucky enough to be one of the 0.00001% who spontaneously develop a Stand I figure.

It's that 1 in 50 hundred million luck!

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Johnny is a dick sometimes but hes not a prick, if that makes sense. Theres no sadism like josuke

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Losing my mind about how jacked Johnny looks in this image.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's working those muscles

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Expect My Mom posted:

Next week is the future though! and this is now! And as Johnny knows very well, you have to walk before you can run, so let's keep it focused on this first week with some extremely basic discussion questions for new folks

- What do you think about this Gyro fella? From his mysterious motives to his style, he has a pretty strong presence early on, how are ya feeling about it
- We've kinda talked about Johnny already, but he's a pretty different kind of Joestar. It's pretty early, but is Johnny working for ya so far?
- What about the race's strange founder, Stephen Steel? It's hard to tell if he's just a normal JoJo weirdo or an actually weird dude,]any thoughts on him?
- What's up with that Diego Brando guy? Did you know he's a great British jockey?

I'm still getting a handle on Gyro. I keep forgetting he's a Zeppeli...but I guess that doesn't mean a whole lot other than "being a JoBro" especially in a brand new continuity. He's thus far kinda overshadowing Johnny, by virtue of being the one with superpowers...but I guess that's a neat riff on the Johnathan/Will Zeppeli dynamic. Johnny's gotta learn somewhere. I do love the idea of a crippled JoJo, though Johhny is kinda "drama crippled" in that he still seems to have a pretty easy time getting around despite the lack of use of his legs. I don't know why the hell I'm expecting realism in my JoJos....but once he learns how to mount his horse, his disability doesn't really seem to hinder him as much as I'd expect.

When it comes to Steel, I think we're gonna find out that he's just a pawn in some bigger game. Kinda like Okuyasu's big bro. Sets a lot of the plot in motion, but ultimately doesn't actually mean much to the storyline after he does something big and dramatic.

Diego is...hmmm...I keep expecting him to go Full DIO at some point...but I'm guessing that's gonna come much later on in the part.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm putting all my money on Diego to win the race.

Got some debts to pay off back East.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zyla posted:

Johnny is a dick sometimes but hes not a prick, if that makes sense. Theres no sadism like josuke

that's probably a good way of summing it up a bit. there's plenty of people who just come off a certain way but ultimately they're not actively malicious with it. it's something that certain people will jive well with while others will be put off by it. johnny is a neat change of pace that i hope people enjoy.

also yeah gyro has quite a bit of presence but the reality is that part 7 is araki's best realization of two co-protags sharing the spotlight equally and the presence of each of them enhances the other, which i feel new readers have already been given a taste of. it's worth mentioning because people frequently say bruno has more presence than giorno, especially after just coming off of the part 5 anime, which is pretty true. part 7 takes some earlier attempts at certain concepts and actually does them well, imo. don't trust anyone who says that either gyro or johnny overshadows the other because they're absolutely wrong. it's a good balance overall and really enhances the part.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Rereading, I realized Gyro's balls kind of look like bigger, metal blitzballs, which can do some ridiculous things with the right amount of spin. So I imagine this is what Gyro would be doing today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HefV4XQFcc

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

wait blitzballs are real things?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
the real backyard sport of blitzball has very little resemblance to underwater volleyball soccer

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i could only do a minute of that before i started to get bro poisoning

are there cooler trick shots further in because those first few were just 'i hit the thing with the ball'

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Patware posted:

are there cooler trick shots further in because those first few were just 'i hit the thing with the ball'

no

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

at least when gyro says "i call this one the horse dick festival" you know you're gonna see something happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Those of you reading this for the first time, what do you think Johnny's power is going to be?