Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah Netflix Kids is pretty dicey. They also basically dump every nature documentary there regardless of how many brutal animal murders it has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah Netflix Kids is pretty dicey. They also basically dump every nature documentary there regardless of how many brutal animal murders it has

Kids have got to learn about the great circle of life somehow

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It’s the same board that rated End of Eva 14+, after all. :v:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

PierreTheMime posted:

I don’t know who configures their kid-friendly content, but there is definitely some questionable choices. If anything they need to have smaller age ranges to more appropriately sort titles. I remember when they started pitching NextGen in the same way and that is certainly not toddler stuff.

I recall for a very brief time Happy Tree Friends was in the kid's section, I'm not sure how they missed the rating on it, and wonder how many heads rolled for that.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'd love to watch Rocko after hearing this thread talk it up so much, but I don't think the series is on Netflix, just the sequel special. I suspect I wouldn't get as much out of it as a result.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I haven’t watched it since I was a kid, and I still felt a decent bit of resonance with the special.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
You know what else is good? Infinity Train. Just binged it with some friends and drat what a great series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm reminded of Walking With Dinosaurs and how it had specific 'exempt' rating for being educational material.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Shadow Hog posted:

I'd love to watch Rocko after hearing this thread talk it up so much, but I don't think the series is on Netflix, just the sequel special. I suspect I wouldn't get as much out of it as a result.

It is on VRV which is a pretty nice service for animation fans.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I remembered dino books being sold at book fairs that were super gory. There was one I had where the first page was an allosaurus ripping a huge chunk of flesh out of a triceratops. Blood was dripping out of the triceratops' mouth and its eyes were rolled over white. 9 year old me thought it was awesome.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You know what else is good? Infinity Train. Just binged it with some friends and drat what a great series.

Yeah, I kinda wish it had been a real miniseries though, because I actually legitimately loved the tone that this was a long running monster of the week show but that 90% of the episodes are off screen and we are only seeing the important ones. Like I am glad they are making more because it's a great show, but I feel like it could have done an over the garden wall thing of being a set short length and having "lots of stuff happens off screen" be part of the aesthetic.

12 forever is the other big netflix cartoon and it seems good but like, something seems wrong about it. Like it seems so clear they are setting up a dark twist that like, it makes non dark episodes feel suspicious. Like once you have an episode where the endless turned an orphan into an immortal rotting puppet corpse like how much do you care about birthday party drama the next episode? Like it feels like it lays on "staying in your childhood forever is bad" really heavy in a way that makes a lot of episodes seem weird. Like the antagonist is literally a puberty book who is a sexy woman with a tim curry impersonation voice. And the tone feels like it's all over the place, like everyone feels like they are secretly bad all along and we are just waiting for the episode that reveals it 2 seasons in.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

12 forever ...
Like it feels like it lays on "staying in your childhood forever is bad" really heavy in a way that makes a lot of episodes seem weird.
I'm getting the feeling that the series is going against the grain and saying "No, actually having a manifestation of your wish to remain a child forever is bad when you retreat to it instead of dealing with situations that will prompt personal growth".
Like midway through the season the plucky protag crushes on/is impressed by an older girl who basically uses the creative energy shown in Endless to make little fanfilms in real life, and then tries to get 12 to contribute as a props/set person. and kid runs off to punch bananamonkeys or whatever because the retreat is her safe space from having to deal with the complexities of puberty and adolescence.

Butt Witch is an awesome name and don't shittalk Matt Berry, motherfucker

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just got out of Angry Birds 2 and it's a much better movie than the first one.

I'm still in the theater waiting for my roommate's restroom break so I have a lot to say:

The movie doesn't take itself seriously. At all.

For example, there's a bit where it follows three chick friends and they're playing Birds vs Pigs and they accidentally lose the real eggs they were playing with and they have this insane adventure to get them back since they're the siblings of one of the bird kids. They even, randomly, go into space and back down (complete with spontaneously combusting due to the Earth's atmosphere which was hilarious), land, they meet a snake, murder it and skin it, then...yeah. It's loving insane.

The movie is basically made up of memes (nothing too old, surprisingly they know not to try and force being relevant... unless you count Baby Shark...ugh.......). Also gayness. This movie has a lot of that and holy poo poo Chuck is at LEAST bisexual but is too insane (and some kind of speedster that puts The Flash and Quicksilver to absolute shame) to get anyone.

There's a pee joke in it but it's actually funny and less "Oh, they're drinking pee! Hahaha!" like the first one had.

I'm pretty sure at least two characters died in this. On screen. Violently.

Then there's the whole thing with Leonard, the pig king. They hint that, not only is he crushing on Red when he thinks no one's looking but he's probably a furry as he dresses up like Red in private. Or maybe it's just a really REALLY hard crush. Borderline stalker.

The pigs and birds are more friendly enemies than they were in the first movie. They work together quite easily to stop the new threat and it's interesting to see.

The trailers didn't spoil much of anything which was very surprising since it's a Sony movie and all.

It's opening day, the entire theater only had 5 cars and no one went to see Angry Birds 2 except me and my roomie so we got to poo poo talk so much and just enjoy it.

I highly recommend watching it. It's better than the first and there's a lot of twists that are hilarious and surprising because you're still focused on the previous joke and how wtf it was.

It was, overall, a fun movie.

This movie knows it's a cartoon and doesn't gently caress around breaking all the rules of physics and it's great.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 14, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FilthyImp posted:

I'm getting the feeling that the series is going against the grain and saying "No, actually having a manifestation of your wish to remain a child forever is bad when you retreat to it instead of dealing with situations that will prompt personal growth".

I think they are very very clearly doing that, but that since these are the episodes before that point they all seem really really weird. Like half the characters on the show seem really suspicious. Like everyone is going to have an "they are actually the bad guy!" episodes.

Like the whole island seems very self evidently a bad place. Staying in the endless makes your body literally fall apart and causes you to lose your mind.

But like niceguy perfect seems like he's actively maliciously trying to trap them, the weird little old man that likes 'creepin and peepin' and calls things "daddy" seems like a weird cartoon pervert, the boy's real life girlfriend seems like she is written like a tv show bad influence without having done anything yet, The guy saying he's from kansas seems like it's probably going to be true, even the mom seems weirdly hostile to her horrible daughter.

The whole tone of the show feels so weird, like it seems so obvious there is episodes eventually where things are more than they seem, but it makes it feel weird to watch the episodes now. Like the island has a forest made of blood and scabs and it's hard to place if that is like, just a random thing for a gross out joke or if it's step one on the island going real bad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

But like niceguy perfect seems like he's actively maliciously trying to trap them, the weird little old man that likes 'creepin and peepin' and calls things "daddy" seems like a weird cartoon pervert, the boy's real life girlfriend seems like she is written like a tv show bad influence without having done anything yet

the island has a forest made of blood and scabs and it's hard to place if that is like, just a random thing for a gross out joke or if it's step one on the island going real bad.
Some of that incongruity I take as being 12's inability to understand poo poo on anything past the level she wants to engage in.

Kind of like imagine two characters held hands then one of them was pregnant then a stork dropped a mino version of one of them that had a british accent.

As for the blood, loving period jokes my man.

I more or less feel like this is Adventure Time for the girls, and am hoping that a lot of the crazy is due to it coming from a young girl (maybe one unsure of her orientation) that just does not want to deal with that poo poo yet.

ESPECIALLY since media is all "Young Boy! Take this sword of power and bestow upon yourself the Muscles of Arnold, the Awesome of Hasselhoff, and the Nuance of Connery, to become M.A.N. hero to all the lands!" while girls get "Sweet so you need this awkward rear end bra for these awkward proto-titties (don't worry about Becky Gonzalez she's got C's since last summer lol) and also surprise you have a period now your childhood is DEFINITELY OVER FOREVER enjoy being an object of sexual desire with the damocles sword of pregnancy and sluttiness hanging over your every hormonal drive!"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 15, 2019

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I expect a lot of hidden vfx in this. Masking out different parts of the real dogs to seamlessly add all kinds of facial adjustments and maybe body stuff as well.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ccs posted:

I expect a lot of hidden vfx in this. Masking out different parts of the real dogs to seamlessly add all kinds of facial adjustments and maybe body stuff as well.
Somewhere out there, there is at least on person meticulously CGI-ing out the Tramp's penis from a bunch of shots.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
So are the Siamese cats out? Or did Disney just hire Thai actors and consult with a Thai cultural sensitivity board to “maintain the integrity of the original, while being respectful of the rich culture of Thailand”. Because both seem equally likely for them at this point.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

You know I'd rather we just have another Homeward Bound at this point

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Aces High posted:

Back to the good old days when the lips didn't move.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Aces High posted:

you're gonna get a secret life of pets 3 and you're gonna like it!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Looper posted:

you're gonna get a secret life of pets 3 and you're gonna like it!

...I'm cool with that.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Disney remakes Milo and Otis and throws like, 60 CG cats off a cliff.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus was pretty amazing and has great animation with slight tweaks to the original style that work really well. It also goes hog wild.

And I would love to know just how many fart sounds per minute are in it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Fartington Butts posted:

Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus was pretty amazing and has great animation with slight tweaks to the original style that work really well. It also goes hog wild.

a powerful post/username combo

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Fartington Butts posted:

I liked towards the end with the varying animation styles, especially when the world is tearing in two and it becomes storyboard animatics to show it's now fallen to it's most basic, fundamental form and will soon cease entirely.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I haven't watched Into the Florpus yet, but looking at imdb, it appears that a chunk of the storyboards were actually done at the korean studio (Maven Animation), kinda like how a chunk of the storyboards on shows animated at Studio Mir (like Korra and Voltron) are done at Mir instead of in the states

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I can answer things freely! Finally!

Storyboards were done primarily in-house with the majority of animation being done by Maven (though parts were done in-house as well, and not just the Spencer Wan animation).

Megan Lawton, Tyson Hesse, Samir Barette, Sofia Alexander and Shawna Mills were the core storyboard team with Stephan Park and Serena Wu as revisionists. Jake Wyatt storyboarded some scenes himself, too. The rest is freelance/clean up/revision. But yeah, the vast, VAST majority was here.

I remember Megan spending an entire day storyboarding flaming peanuts and having a mild crisis about it. Actually, Aaron Alexovich and Jhonen also ended up storyboarding some scenes. Aaron nearly loving animated his scene.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did you or anyone you know work on Static Cling? I loved it, but I gotta wonder, how did the whole "stuff animated with computers is soulless" stuff go over behind the scenes? Seems kinda weird given that this generation of animators primarily use computers.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I notice that Jhonen is only really mentioned there with storyboarding SOME scenes. Invader Zim is his show so what all did he do besides that? Was he mostly just making sure everything looks right, approving scenes, doing story stuff, etc? I'm curious what his roles are with him being the one who made Invader Zim in the first place, like if he was involved in all the things or if he was more overseeing the production (and I don't mean to imply anything negative here, I'm genuinely curious about the process)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Macaluso posted:

I notice that Jhonen is only really mentioned there with storyboarding SOME scenes. Invader Zim is his show so what all did he do besides that? Was he mostly just making sure everything looks right, approving scenes, doing story stuff, etc? I'm curious what his roles are with him being the one who made Invader Zim in the first place, like if he was involved in all the things or if he was more overseeing the production (and I don't mean to imply anything negative here, I'm genuinely curious about the process)

That's pretty much how it is with showrunners. Honestly the amount of Steven Universe episodes (to give an example) that directly have Rebecca as a credited storyboard artist is unusually high for a showrunner. Generally showrunners have to approve pretty much everything and can revise stuff themselves if need be. Plus they're pretty much involved in episode stories (even if they're not directly involved in the full scripts; the fact that nearly every Gravity Falls episode credits Alex Hirsch as one of the writers is pretty unusual, likewise how nearly every Venture Bros ep is written by either Jackson and/or Doc)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did you or anyone you know work on Static Cling? I loved it, but I gotta wonder, how did the whole "stuff animated with computers is soulless" stuff go over behind the scenes? Seems kinda weird given that this generation of animators primarily use computers.

Yeah, that was honestly the only... Jarring bit from the Rocko special. Just about everything else still felt exactly like the original series, though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Rocko crew was wrapping up by the time I joined Zim in Aug 2017, but our crew was on the same floor. And yeah, we all use Cintiqs nowadays. I felt like the computer animation jab was more pointed at the idea of, "Let's have this made as cheaply as possible by using overseas slave labor with CG animation because that's cheaper than 2D." than criticizing the death of pencil and paper. When your company tries to kill craft and creative process in the name of money, it feels gross and exploitative. Which is a fight at Nick, as I'm sure with every studio not Disney.

But every animator I know considers digital 2D to still be true 2D.

Macaluso posted:

Jhonen wrote the script; oversaw and contributed to storyboards, art direction, character design, bg design; approved colors; directed and contributed to voicework; approved music; negotiated network notes; and oversaw and directed editing.

I'd be in the editing room with him, Jonathan Sims, Breehn Burns and Serena at 2 am on a Sunday as they scrolled through every frame of a scene with Serena revising boards as they went. We ordered a lot of pie.

Also, nobody shy away from criticisms on my account! It was my first industry job and I'll always be pleased with that!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Oh, and Jhonen also oversaw and approved the animation. There were two Korea trips during production.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I love that Jimmy Urine composed a song for a 5 second joke. Though it's not his first alien song.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Das Boo posted:

Rocko crew was wrapping up by the time I joined Zim in Aug 2017, but our crew was on the same floor. And yeah, we all use Cintiqs nowadays. I felt like the computer animation jab was more pointed at the idea of, "Let's have this made as cheaply as possible by using overseas slave labor with CG animation because that's cheaper than 2D." than criticizing the death of pencil and paper. When your company tries to kill craft and creative process in the name of money, it feels gross and exploitative. Which is a fight at Nick, as I'm sure with every studio not Disney.

But every animator I know considers digital 2D to still be true 2D.

That's what I was hoping is the case. If it was a total jab at computer animation, or 3D animation, it would completely contradict the entire, unsubtle moral that change is good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I knew it was going to be amazing when the opening credits had an Army of Darkness reference.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It read a lot more a punch against automation of the art (ala flash tweening and similar processes), rather than against computers entirely. They certainly weren't painting cells for the special.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I originally drew the trash in Dib's room lovingly, carefully piled to the actual ceiling. I was asked to remove a lot of it.
Also Gravelord Nito's hanging out on Dib's shelf. I like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I found that intro interesting because the comics did the exact same idea in the arc with the Space Donkey, so it was fun to see it in physical action (even some of the physical gags like Gaz's hosepipe shower) and then branching off in a different direction.