Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Constellation I posted:

Lots of QC issues on the initial run. Didn't really keep up with it recently to see if it's mostly been fixed. But basically, a few of the legends are consistently off-center and some are thicker than the others.

Round 2 of /dev/tty was actually really good. From what I've seen, MT3 Godspeed looked great, too, so I think MT3 Serika should pass muster easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

internet celebrity posted:

Man I really want an MT3 profile set but I think I'll wait until they learn how to print the legends straight.

Constellation I posted:

Lots of QC issues on the initial run. Didn't really keep up with it recently to see if it's mostly been fixed. But basically, a few of the legends are consistently off-center and some are thicker than the others.

Round 2 of /dev/tty was actually really good. From what I've seen, MT3 Godspeed looked great, too, so I think MT3 Serika should pass muster easily.

The really crazy tengwar caps I got were really well done. Crisp, even legends, all correctly centered. I initially got two , keys and was missing a K key, but they replaced it pretty quickly.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I might pick up a set in the future if there's a colour scheme that I like. Serika is pretty tempting, I think the MT3 renders look better than the GMK Cherry. I'm also kind of over taller profile keycaps for right now, though. They just don't feel that good for tactile switches. Feels great on clickbar switches though.

It's really too bad that thevankeyboard's HUB key profile didn't pull through. That could have been super interesting. They were way too ambitious with their goal, sadly.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

surf rock posted:

I was able to type on it accurately after ~5 minutes, but it feels like my fingers are doing 5x as much work as they do on the Thinkpad. Have other people experienced this and adapted to it?

Keep in mind that mechanical switches trigger before you have completely pressed the key down. It's at a different height depending on the switch, but ideally you can learn to type without bottoming out the key. This will reduce the noise and strain on your fingers.

The key weight and tactileness also make a difference. I use Gateron Clear switches for my typing keyboard (35g, not to be confused with Cherry Clears), which are too light to play games (just the weight of my finger resting on keyboard for WASD will actuate the key), but are a dream to type on as I barely have to move my fingers. My macbook pro requires more force to type on.

There are MX switches designed with shorter actuation distances (Kailh Speeds, for example), if you are looking to reduce travel.

You could also take a look at Kailh Choc switches. I haven't built a full keyboard with them yet, but they feel great imo and have a more laptop feel to them while still feeling good like mechanical switches.

Not mine, just an example from google image search:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

shovelbum posted:

The CODE is a really nice keyboard, I have the same one in full size. You're just describing laptop vs desktop in general, your fingers will get used to it. Are you on the new Thinkpad kb or the old one?

I'm not sure when the transition was made, but I'm using a T530. I was going from a different laptop keyboard (some lovely old Toshiba Satellite) to the T530 and it was love at first touch.

Thank you for the advice!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, that's the newer style, I don't know why I asked because both styles are awesome. I think the cutoff was a few models before that.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Who of you keyboard hipsters will be the first to build a proper traditional keyboard.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Are you implying one of us hasn't already?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

My trusty steelseries merc ive had for 11 years has finally started to stick and die. Anyone have a still in production similar layout keyboard? Id grab another merc but they're all 200 and up used

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Do they make mechanical switches that are smaller footprint, like half the width or something

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Yes No Kind of?

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCL_Compact

So of course you would also need a custom/specific PCB, not to mention the keycaps. That's assuming you find these switches to begin with.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What the gently caress is it with this hobby? First I just wanted a decent, simple TKL keyboard. Then my coworkers bitched about the noise. Then I installed some o-rings and now some UNIQEY QMX clips. Then my awesome remote coworker stopped by and showed my his Happy Hacker keyboard with Topres and now I'm basically ready to drop 200 quid on this thing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Topre used to be more expensive until Realforce came along. Easily $300+ per board.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

bolind posted:

What the gently caress is it with this hobby?

In a week you'll be designing your own PCBs.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Exit Strategy posted:

In a week you'll be designing your own PCBs.

I started out with a Corsair and now I have homies in Barcelona to get a good deal on laser cut stainless steel

"All I wanted was a Pepsi..."

e: Also just ordered a new switch tester

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 16, 2019

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

AgentCow007 posted:

I started out with a Corsair and now I have homies in Barcelona to get a good deal on laser cut stainless steel

LaserBoost is alright, but for my money the Real poo poo is SendCutSend.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

bolind posted:

What the gently caress is it with this hobby? First I just wanted a decent, simple TKL keyboard. Then my coworkers bitched about the noise. Then I installed some o-rings and now some UNIQEY QMX clips. Then my awesome remote coworker stopped by and showed my his Happy Hacker keyboard with Topres and now I'm basically ready to drop 200 quid on this thing.

Once you get it, you'll want to encase it in aluminium: https://shop.norbauer.com/products/the-norbaforce-cnc-aluminum-housing-for-realforce-keyboards

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

bolind posted:

Topre is typing heaven in both feel and sound. I would pay any amount for individual Topre keyswitches. I already use custom PCBs so even non-MX footprint would be fine. As a split keyboard user I longingly eye the Realforce keyboards and wish I could use them.

Also yes, you have a chance to go insane and start designing keyboards. I'm half finished with a custom split ARM board with Fm+ i2c for faster matrix scanning. Reading datasheets has become a hobby.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
It is a mechanical keybard. All craftsmanship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of iron and decorated with ash wood.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Topre is typing heaven in both feel and sound. I would pay any amount for individual Topre keyswitches. I already use custom PCBs so even non-MX footprint would be fine. As a split keyboard user I longingly eye the Realforce keyboards and wish I could use them.

Also yes, you have a chance to go insane and start designing keyboards. I'm half finished with a custom split ARM board with Fm+ i2c for faster matrix scanning. Reading datasheets has become a hobby.

Gotta get those beamsprings

Xenopus
Apr 8, 2004

Easygoing Imperator
Soiled Meat
I've come to own a Das Keyboard 3 Ultimate, but I'm not a fan of blank keycaps. Does anyone have any 104-key keycap sets lying around, or suggestions for where to get a good but cheap set? It has to be a standard 6.25 unit spacebar, and I think OEM profiles are what the Das Keyboard has. It's not backlit, so no need for translucency, either.

I've looked on Amazon and eBay, but the choices are overwhelming, and since I'm in Canada, many other places have prohibitive shipping. Advice appreciated!

(or try convincing me that blank keys are good for me)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xenopus posted:

I've come to own a Das Keyboard 3 Ultimate, but I'm not a fan of blank keycaps. Does anyone have any 104-key keycap sets lying around, or suggestions for where to get a good but cheap set? It has to be a standard 6.25 unit spacebar, and I think OEM profiles are what the Das Keyboard has. It's not backlit, so no need for translucency, either.

I've looked on Amazon and eBay, but the choices are overwhelming, and since I'm in Canada, many other places have prohibitive shipping. Advice appreciated!

(or try convincing me that blank keys are good for me)

I'm in canada as well, get keycaps from aliexpress. Chinese vendors lie on their customs declarations.

This set is super nice + cheap:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32996186932.html

e: these are the same caps with a couple other colors:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32897392551.html

mewse fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 17, 2019

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So I got a set of custom keycaps. I'm having an issue with the new spacebar key. The little plastic hook devices that act as holding points for the metal spring don't fit in the new spacebar key. They slip out at the lightest touch, where as they fit snugly on the old key. What is the solution to that? Buy new ones? Use a tiny amount of glue? I'm assuming once glue is involved I'd have to purchase new ones anyway in case I ever wanted to swap out the spacebar again?

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
You're probably Doing It Wrong, but a dab of hot glue never hurt anything.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 17, 2019

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

AgentCow007 posted:

You're probably Doing It Wrong, but a dab of hot glue never hurt anything.

I'm open to the idea that I could be doing it wrong, but I'm not sure what wrong would like here?

It seems to be 2 little plastic pieces that fits into holes on either end of the bottom of the spacebar key. I removed them from my old spacebar and inserted them into the new one. In the old spacebar the right one sits snugly and I have to use my nail and grab it from underneath to dislodge it. In the new spacebar key it falls out with the lightest touch and I can actually shake the key and it will fall out.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

A less permanent modification would be to use a piece of tape.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Tiny piece of saran wrap over the stem works too.

Xenopus
Apr 8, 2004

Easygoing Imperator
Soiled Meat

mewse posted:

I'm in canada as well, get keycaps from aliexpress. Chinese vendors lie on their customs declarations.

This set is super nice + cheap:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32996186932.html

e: these are the same caps with a couple other colors:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32897392551.html

Ordered! Thanks for the advice!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
For the love of God, do not use hot glue, but yes use a thin piece of tape or seran wrap.

If your spacebar is made of PBT, it may also be warped. Check it by placing it on a table and see if it's flat. If not, take a hairdryer and straighten it out.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Topre is typing heaven in both feel and sound.

Is there any consensus for the cheaper Topre clones? I saw an Amazon listing for about $120 and did a little research, but most of what I found was "this is about 95% of the way to Topre" and the rest was in Korean.

For me right now it's either this or trying to get a Kailh hot swap board from a Chinese OEM on the real cheap, and as I type this I realize how loving ridiculous it sounds. :v:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Who was doing an analog Hall effect?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

shovelbum posted:

Who was doing an analog Hall effect?

This kickstarter is over but it was one:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lekashman/keystone-the-future-of-mechanical-keyboards

This one says it's available on mechanicalkeyboards but has poor reviews from massdrop:
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4262
https://drop.com/buy/apt-hall-effect-mechanical-keyboard/reviews#reviews

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wooting is also an analog hall effect

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Why/what is the 'analog' specifier for there?

mewse
May 2, 2006

taqueso posted:

Each keyswitch isn't on/off -- it can actually read depth of key press. Since it's such a radical departure from a normal keyboard I believe it would need solid software support and I've heard good things about the wooting software. Nobody has got their hands on the input club one to review yet. The chinese APT ones aren't analog afaik, just hall effect.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

So you could customize the activation point, or have analog WASD movement, or play piano. I could see that becoming popular.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

taqueso posted:

It's just degrees of depth being sensed on the key press. The examples they've thrown around is using it like a gas pedal for racing games that support analog controller triggers, or for walking in games where you'd lightly tilt the analog sticks. I don't know what uses it would have for other software, though.

I believe with the Wooting it's also not "true" analog control, but 256 states of pressed is probably more than any human could really notice.

e: beaten.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Is there any consensus for the cheaper Topre clones? I saw an Amazon listing for about $120 and did a little research, but most of what I found was "this is about 95% of the way to Topre" and the rest was in Korean.

For me right now it's either this or trying to get a Kailh hot swap board from a Chinese OEM on the real cheap, and as I type this I realize how loving ridiculous it sounds. :v:

I have the Abko K945G, which I like pretty well. I've never used a true Topre board, so I can't say how it compares, but this one has per-key RGB backlighting and support for MX-style keycaps.

Which one are you looking at on Amazon?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I have the Abko K945G, which I like pretty well. I've never used a true Topre board, so I can't say how it compares, but this one has per-key RGB backlighting and support for MX-style keycaps.

Which one are you looking at on Amazon?

Same brand actually, the Abko K935P. I'm guessing it's about the same, just that this one doesn't have any backlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Oh neat. Yeah, that looks pretty much the same, down to the little brush they give you to clean out dust between the keys. Looks like the only difference is the no backlighting to me, too.

I had to import mine from Korea, and it cost about $125 at the time. I think you'll be happy with the K935P at that price. The PBT keys feel pretty good.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 18, 2019