Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Unsinkabear posted:

I heard that SE was planning to cut down the ridiculous number of fluff quests required to move the main story forward. Is that true, and did it happen yet?

In order: Maybe, and no. We know they're planning something to streamline the pre-expansion story content, which probably includes cutting down on the quests, but we don't actually know what they're doing yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

I heard that SE was planning to cut down the ridiculous number of fluff quests required to move the main story forward. Is that true, and did it happen yet?

The plan is to do it for 5.3, which won't be for almost a year?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Can confirm the DRG Garo gear is very good and dyes well.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
If you are interested in grinding out all the Garo stuff, do note that the limiting factor will not be Wolf Marks, but wins.

You need 30 Feast wins, 10 Frontline wins, and 20 more of either for all the mounts.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thundarr posted:

The game establishes several times that you can pick up somebody who has passed out from pain, but put an actual hole through them and they're beyond your help.

a see-through hole in the body does seem to be the only reliable "they're genuinely fuckin dead m8" indicator, it's true

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Awesome! posted:

the kobold beast tribe is very good

it has the best mount in the game (no joke) as a capstone reward so keep at it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

That whole situation is hilarious as poo poo since it’s just Z having survived soul-wise by bodyjacking that elezen soldier while his actual dead body was reanimated by whatever ascian trick E used, so that E could bodyjack it as well. It just happens they met up and Z was able to bodyjack back his own body. :pseudo:

i like to imagine it's like discworld zombies, so now Z has to manually make his body work--heart beat, stomach churn, liver... uh, live, lungs compress, etc--just through sheer bloody minded force of will

seems appropriate for the obsessive nut, really

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

nyxnyxnyx posted:

If you are interested in grinding out all the Garo stuff, do note that the limiting factor will not be Wolf Marks, but wins.

You need 30 Feast wins, 10 Frontline wins, and 20 more of either for all the mounts.

Yeah, but you don't need those until you have the armor, so I'm not gonna stress until I have a full set of DRG armor.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Is anyone doing win-trading or are there recommended times to queue for Feast training matches? I still have to do my 30 Feast wins and then hope I can get enough to finish off the final 60-win mount.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

DizzyBum posted:

win-trading

You can and people have eaten temp bans for this.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Shellman posted:

You can and people have eaten temp bans for this.

Dang, I'll just queue normally then. Hopefully more people will do training matches during primetime.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

nyxnyxnyx posted:

That’s better than I thought, when I read the achievement I took it as 60 of each.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Level 78 ShB MSQ
All this talk of giant golems reaching up to the sky and Lali-hos and whatnot is making me really crave an FFIV raid

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Augus posted:

Level 78 ShB MSQ
All this talk of giant golems reaching up to the sky and Lali-hos and whatnot is making me really crave an FFIV raid

Only if I get to turn some lalafell to stone

Or all of them

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Finally got through the rest of HW and started up Stormblood last night. The events in those last few patches were loving wild; I'm surprised at seeing stuff I've gathered is in ShB this early already. And, as a FF5 fanboy, the fight between Shinryu and Omega was so good. Significantly made up for the fight between Ravana and Shiva earlier in HW, though it probably helps that it wasn't just two models bopping against each other.

I'm kind of surprised that Stormblood isn't starting out in Doma, but maybe I'm just spoiled by WoW and Mists of Pandaria being "and now we're in China, which we didn't know existed until literally right now". I can't complain, though; I'm really loving the desert environment so far, and it's different enough from Thanalan to still be interesting. The armor sets are real good, too; I'm going through as a Samurai since my Dancer is at 63, and I'm still taking the caster rewards because I eventually need to be a tribal Red Mage once I level that.

I know Stormblood is a lot more political intrigue than Final Fantasy nuttiness, but I've enjoyed how that's all been handled so far, so I'm looking forward to it regardless.

Especially if it means I get to punch Mr. "it's like all my namedays have come at once" more.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

2.4 thoughts: it didn't feel that much better than the previous 2.x patches, but I played through it in one day instead of one week, so it must have been. Still loving the Ul'dah storyline that seems like it will reach a climax next patch, as well as the Ishgard set up. My ears perked up once Ysaile quoted Hydaelin and I'm glad the story immediately picked up and followed up on it.

Disappointingly little reaction from the other political actors to the establishment of the Crystal Braves, so far.

Was Roaille a 1.x character? She seemed to have an history with Minfilia that wasn't set up at all.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Squidtentacle posted:

Finally got through the rest of HW and started up Stormblood last night. The events in those last few patches were loving wild; I'm surprised at seeing stuff I've gathered is in ShB this early already. And, as a FF5 fanboy, the fight between Shinryu and Omega was so good. Significantly made up for the fight between Ravana and Shiva earlier in HW, though it probably helps that it wasn't just two models bopping against each other.

I'm kind of surprised that Stormblood isn't starting out in Doma, but maybe I'm just spoiled by WoW and Mists of Pandaria being "and now we're in China, which we didn't know existed until literally right now". I can't complain, though; I'm really loving the desert environment so far, and it's different enough from Thanalan to still be interesting. The armor sets are real good, too; I'm going through as a Samurai since my Dancer is at 63, and I'm still taking the caster rewards because I eventually need to be a tribal Red Mage once I level that.

I know Stormblood is a lot more political intrigue than Final Fantasy nuttiness, but I've enjoyed how that's all been handled so far, so I'm looking forward to it regardless.

Especially if it means I get to punch Mr. "it's like all my namedays have come at once" more.

you missed some fun history with Mr Namedays; google Raubahn EX for a larf

and yes, you do get to punch him lots, if it wasn't obvious already he's the Bumbling Comedic-Foil Villain for the story

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Somehow I wound up several hundred posts behind so this is probably a repost, but...

News: Someone made a ShB boss title generator.
https://twitter.com/Kalmia_Xillion/status/1161666453277306886?s=19

Views: I used it to make the most Scholar picture possible (level 80 spoilers)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I remember them floating the idea of doing 3 Ultimates this expansion instead of two. Did we ever get any further word about that? We’ll probably end up getting Thordan and Alex Ultimates, and then Nidhogg too if they are doing a third one.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

escape mechanism posted:

Was Roaille a 1.x character? She seemed to have an history with Minfilia that wasn't set up at all.

She's been around for a long time and even appears briefly in some 2.0 cutscenes, mainly when you're visiting the three city states for the first time. I never actually played during the Bad Times but I think she existed as a character then too?

The fact that she basically fell off the map by like level 15 only to suddenly reappear in 2.4 with text lines made me immediately suspicious.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I hate the Waking Sands so much. You think that you're finally done with the place after the interminable moving quests and the first thing they do is send you right goddamned back again.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Augus posted:

I remember them floating the idea of doing 3 Ultimates this expansion instead of two. Did we ever get any further word about that? We’ll probably end up getting Thordan and Alex Ultimates, and then Nidhogg too if they are doing a third one.

I really want that to be true, if only because i love the sheer spectacle of them. I would never do it, but everyone gets really excited and the fights look incredibly cool and its just a good time to watch.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Corbeau posted:

I hate the Waking Sands so much. You think that you're finally done with the place after the interminable moving quests and the first thing they do is send you right goddamned back again.
There is a FATE called Pray Destroy the Waking Sands later on. Unfortunately, it doesn't destroy Waking Sands.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I also played with the boss title generator.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Augus posted:

Last word was it would depend on their workload and how well everything else planned comes out. They planned for three last time but couldn't schedule it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ahaha, alright, alright. That's good, that means getting everything is cheaper than I thought! I'd do the math but I can't log on and look, so, yeah!

Good luck fellow Garo-craving players, it's a doable amount of wolfmark grind.

Just trying to save you some un-necessary anguish. Been like Cassandra lately, with telling people not to buy the Steam version of this game, and then.... people buying the Steam version.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Can't wait for Ultimate Alexander, alternatively Ultimate Triad.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Just trying to save you some un-necessary anguish. Been like Cassandra lately, with telling people not to buy the Steam version of this game, and then.... people buying the Steam version.

I feel and appreciate this. My poor friend bought it on steam six years ago and still wants to play it on steam so.... okay dude.... be a happy archer...

Meanwhile:

:allears:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ultimate Thordan would be dope. It's one of my favorite fights.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

escape mechanism posted:

Thundarr posted:

She's been around for a long time and even appears briefly in some 2.0 cutscenes, mainly when you're visiting the three city states for the first time. I never actually played during the Bad Times but I think she existed as a character then too?
Her first appearance was patch 2.0. There's a rather surprising number of returning names and faces from 1.0, but Roaille was not one of them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I feel and appreciate this. My poor friend bought it on steam six years ago and still wants to play it on steam so.... okay dude.... be a happy archer...

Meanwhile:

:allears:

the hildibrand quests are basically the devs' excuse to play garry's mod instead of working and it owns

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I like to think it's where the practiced for all the animations for HW and beyond.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Azubah posted:

I like to think it's where the practiced for all the animations for HW and beyond.

a certain scene early on in ShB clearly took influence in facial exaggeration, i know that much (:gonk:)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Ciaphas posted:

a certain scene early on in ShB clearly took influence in facial exaggeration, i know that much (:gonk:)
The last hunt unlocking cutscene in ShB also comes to mind

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

I've been seeing some improvement in the facial animations in the other 2.x quests, although not nearly as much as in the Hildy quests. Haurchefant's reintroduction would have benefited from some exagerated ones.

Hogama posted:

Her first appearance was patch 2.0. There's a rather surprising number of returning names and faces from 1.0, but Roaille was not one of them.

Are you sure? I went digging around after asking, and the gamerescape wiki seems to say she was in 1.x, with a screenshot that looks 1.x at least :shrug::

But I've not found anything about a speaking role, or anything pertaining to Minfilia (and I'm unwilling to google their names together in case I stumble on spoilers)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Shadowbringers in China devblog

Anyone have a lead on the Chinese trailer? I'm curious to see what people sound like in it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

escape mechanism posted:

Are you sure? I went digging around after asking, and the gamerescape wiki seems to say she was in 1.x, with a screenshot that looks 1.x at least :shrug::

But I've not found anything about a speaking role, or anything pertaining to Minfilia (and I'm unwilling to google their names together in case I stumble on spoilers)
I'm corrected then, without poking around too much on search engines, but she at least wasn't involved in any quests.
The page you linked from has the totality of her 1.X dialogue:

Flame Marshal Roaille posted:

Welcome, friend. Pray forgive my directness, but tell me, what do you know of the Syndicate.
Our nation has long been a sultanate, yet true ruling power lies in the hands of Ul'dah's six wealthiest and most influential souls. It is this council of six that is known as the Syndicate.
They are seldom of a single mind. Their number includes both Royalists and Monetarists─the former being staunch supporters of the sultana, and the latter desiring self-governance for the merchant classes.
Raubahn himself is a Royalist. When he set about rekindling the Immortal Flames, the Monetarists were less than eager to aid him. I do not think that will be the case in this latest endeavor.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It just kind of clicked for me that, presuming Emet-Selch can be trusted about the fact that Ascians are tempered by Zodiark, the same would follow for us, but with Hydaelyn, since we're her champion and have her blessing. So the reason that we're immune to tempering by primals is because we're already tempered by one of the singular most powerful ones already around. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kitfox88 posted:

It just kind of clicked for me that, presuming Emet-Selch can be trusted about the fact that Ascians are tempered by Zodiark, the same would follow for us, but with Hydaelyn, since we're her champion and have her blessing. So the reason that we're immune to tempering by primals is because we're already tempered by one of the singular most powerful ones already around. :tinfoil:

If I had to guess the future direction of the plot, that possibility will be thrown in our face but prove to ultimately be untrue or only half true