Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Keetron posted:

I am happy to hear you got out of the abusive relationship as the above is never EVER true.

Thanks, and I know - that was a facetious quip. I did bring up the lack of positivity and how unrewarding being on this team felt in the exit interview.

tak posted:

Wait what

How big was this company?

Small startup - forgot I didn’t mention that in this thread (I did in a couple others I think). So only one small team working on everything. I actually went to the CTO (my direct boss) first to complain about how I was treated at the meeting, but he opened with “I think [new dev] made a good point at the meeting”. So I escalated.

CEO is great but not always aware of what’s going on with the dev team (he works more closely with sales/marketing). He took me seriously, but with it being such a small company, it could be deduced pretty easily that I made a complaint, and it’s not like I could move to another team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
PRs sitting around is a problem we have too. Bitbucket basically has options of 'notify me by emails if anything ever happens with anything or no emails. So people just ignore bitbucket notifications.

It's lead to many begging in teams after a few hours.

I'm currently thinking about writing something to display the open pull requests on the various tvs we have around the office just to improve visibility of them.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Azure DevOps email options weren't better. You could set up email notifications to email you when a new PR is created and you're a reviewer, which won't email you if they create the PR and add you as a reviewer afterwards; or, you can get an email any time a PR you're a reviewer on gets updated, which buried everything else in your email inbox.

Couple that with the 2+ validation build and integration tests tacked onto every PR that expired after 24 hours... yeah, the PR process at my old job was a bit of a nightmare.

They even sent out regular emails showing the stats of who's creating PRs versus who's reviewing them, and even thought it was expressly stated this information was not being collected for any purpose, it still led to a lot of artificially inflated PR "reviews."

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 15, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Do you people not have threaded emails or something?

I get an email for everything that happens to a change I sent out (or am a reviewer for), but it doesn't bury anything because all those updates end up in a single email thread.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Jabor posted:

I get an email for everything that happens to a change I sent out (or am a reviewer for), but it doesn't bury anything because all those updates end up in a single email thread.

There are also email rules to send something to a folder. Every time I'm added as a reviewer to a PR the email goes to a folder that creates a notification. I know this is dead obvious but it does feel weird when people say "emails get lost." It's not hard to organize as long as you take the time to set up rules.

M31
Jun 12, 2012

Lord Of Texas posted:

There are also email rules to send something to a folder. Every time I'm added as a reviewer to a PR the email goes to a folder that creates a notification. I know this is dead obvious but it does feel weird when people say "emails get lost." It's not hard to organize as long as you take the time to set up rules.

It's 2019, why should I have to bother with e-mail rules for absolute basic functionality? Also, Outlook filters are terrible anyway.

Our BitBucket doesn't even allow you to turn it off, so it's all notifications all the time. I literally have a rule that filters all my mail to trash if I'm not in the To field and it's the best.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Ah ok that makes sense then

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

M31 posted:

It's 2019, why should I have to bother with e-mail rules for absolute basic functionality? Also, Outlook filters are terrible anyway.

Bitbucket can notify Slack via webhook too if you really can't stand Outlook filters.

Email is the lowest common denominator and has tons of technology built on top of it, other software products are allowed to lean on it a little.

I.E. If I write a frontend editable grid plugin that does not mean I am obligated to reimplement Excel.

Trying to reinvent the wheel and be everything to everyone is how you get bloated BMC garbage.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 16, 2019

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

M31 posted:

It's 2019,... I literally have a rule that filters all my mail to trash if I'm not in the To field and it's the best.
I take that to mean letters "To our friends at 432 1st avenue" go to the recycle bin, but you still have to open envelopes and manually sort mail. :thunk:

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Is it mean of me to bask in the schadenfreude of watching mansplainin’ new dev (and also the other devs) struggle to build a data visualization off a flawed spec while not helping even though I know how to fix it?

A couple months back I built a working prototype of this particular visualization, but everyone seemed to forget it existed. Then UX consultants came up with the final spec, which for some idiotic reason puts the irregularly occurring events on an ordinal scale (so the events look like they’re occurring at a regular interval, despite the timestamps telling you differently - I even asked if this was a case of sloppy/inaccurate dummy data, but nope). This also causes other difficulties, like trying to show the change in days of the week and have the visuals for that line up with the ordinal timestamps.

The solution is just to use a goddamn time scale. Then all that stuff becomes really easy to implement (and you’re not misleading users about when/at what interval these events are actually occurring - I actually asked several people about it and they all said they’d never assume that if there were timestamps the scale would not be a time scale). So he kept on trying to hack together some janky solution to make the thing look like the picture and still somewhat work with actual data. If it weren’t for me leaving, this would have been my project and I would have just put my foot down and overridden the ordinal scale spec because I know better.

I mean, if they ask me for help/my opinion, I’ll certainly oblige. And I’d point them to the prototype code if they asked, too. But they haven’t, so I’m just sitting here letting them do it the hard and wrong way. Today is day three of this ordeal.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I would say rip the bandaid off now and help them, because if it comes to light that you were sitting on something useful and didn't do anything with it for a good while, it will probably bite you in the rear end.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Counterpoint: she's already given her notice, so gently caress 'em.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

CPColin posted:

Oh, yeah. gently caress it. If you've already got a foot out the door, have your fun.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
It's my last day on the job and I've discovered that five users have their .bash_profile set to -rw-rw-rw-, and it's taking all my willpower to not leave a prank.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Protocol7 posted:

I would say rip the bandaid off now and help them, because if it comes to light that you were sitting on something useful and didn't do anything with it for a good while, it will probably bite you in the rear end.

Yeah good point. However, the prototype is plain D3, and new dev is writing the production version in React, and the way he incorporates D3 is to use as little of it as possible (because he’s not good at D3) and have React render everything (except for animations, which is handled by some third party library). At this point the prototype probably won’t be useful - making a new graph that displayed the data in the same way was the easy part, and the only difference really is that the prototype uses a time scale for the events. So it’s really just ordinal scale use that’s making it a such a bitch.

And at the beginning, I DID tell them they should be using a time scale, and when boss said that it’d be too late to reconsider the type of scale because the spec was finalized, I reminded him that changing the type of scale in the code was trivial (like changing ‘ordinalScale()’ to ‘timeScale()’ and maybe tweaking some tick params - literally two minutes of work). Still, couldn’t be done for some reason. Not my problem anymore if they’d rather trust some consultants who obviously aren’t good at data visualization.

They’re currently trying to figure out how to make dual pagination (for timestamps and the day of week display) work and not ignore values on the end or something, yet another issue that wouldn’t exist if they had used a time scale like I suggested. I’m honestly a bit surprised they haven’t decided that the ordinal scale nonsense is a clusterfuck on their own and ditched it.

Oh.. now they’re talking about adding new API functions to handle this crap :wtc:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Take a four hour lunch, Queen, it'll be good for your sanity

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

Take a four hour lunch, Queen, it'll be good for your sanity

Not emptyquoting.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Queen Victorian posted:

Yeah good point. However, the prototype is plain D3, and new dev is writing the production version in React, and the way he incorporates D3 is to use as little of it as possible (because he’s not good at D3) and have React render everything (except for animations, which is handled by some third party library). At this point the prototype probably won’t be useful - making a new graph that displayed the data in the same way was the easy part, and the only difference really is that the prototype uses a time scale for the events. So it’s really just ordinal scale use that’s making it a such a bitch.

And at the beginning, I DID tell them they should be using a time scale, and when boss said that it’d be too late to reconsider the type of scale because the spec was finalized, I reminded him that changing the type of scale in the code was trivial (like changing ‘ordinalScale()’ to ‘timeScale()’ and maybe tweaking some tick params - literally two minutes of work). Still, couldn’t be done for some reason. Not my problem anymore if they’d rather trust some consultants who obviously aren’t good at data visualization.

They’re currently trying to figure out how to make dual pagination (for timestamps and the day of week display) work and not ignore values on the end or something, yet another issue that wouldn’t exist if they had used a time scale like I suggested. I’m honestly a bit surprised they haven’t decided that the ordinal scale nonsense is a clusterfuck on their own and ditched it.

Oh.. now they’re talking about adding new API functions to handle this crap :wtc:

gently caress em. If you don’t trust or believe in them, they’re not worth thinking about. Take your last few days easy.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Jabor posted:

Outlook had functioning threaded emails only recently and is still not as reliable as Gmail threading, but the performance of the UI is so impressively awful it's best to disable it. Outlook continues to be a poster child of bad app development.

For an organisation that throws nearly 50 threads at a file dialog to make it responsive how can they make the majority of Outlook's basic email usage pattern constantly locking in the UI. It's like the code is still being copy & pasted from DOS apps.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 16, 2019

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

lifg posted:

It's my last day on the job and I've discovered that five users have their .bash_profile set to -rw-rw-rw-, and it's taking all my willpower to not leave a prank.

Yah don’t. Too many cases of vindictive employers getting the last laugh with a lawsuit and unlawful computer access charge.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hughlander posted:

Yah don’t. Too many cases of vindictive employers getting the last laugh with a lawsuit and unlawful computer access charge.

Even if not that, they might not find it as funny as you do.

CPColin posted:

They've already told you how much they value your opinion. This is their problem now.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

M31 posted:

Our BitBucket doesn't even allow you to turn it off, so it's all notifications all the time. I literally have a rule that filters all my mail to trash if I'm not in the To field and it's the best.

Email rules take 2 min, am I missing something? I mean don't get me wrong, email threading would be great but plenty of applications with notifications don't have it available. It's an extremely quick solution that is better than nothing.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

lifg posted:

Run this quick script on their mac:

curl -sL https://goo.gl/FYMEPW | bash

It will read out a list of english words out loud via the say command on mac. the small script also appends it to their .bash_profile. I keep this handy when people think it's funny to change my background on my laptop if I leave it unlocked for half a second.

Here's the goo.gl script:

echo 'curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dwyl/english-words/master/words_alpha.txt | say' >> ~/.bash_profile

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
That's good! I already quit though. I just added a smiley into the PS1 bash variable.

And if anyone wants to apply for or talk about AthenaHealth, DM me.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Last week I posted about a godawful graph my now-very-soon-to-be-former coworker was building, and today it went into code review. It is so much worse than I imagined.

He followed the bad design spec to the letter, so it has design problems, like not looking anything like the existing graphs and missing some crucial visual indicators like differentiating normal and anomalous events (you can’t tell which are anomalous until you hover over them and bring up the tooltip). The ordinal scale BS is just as hacky and unintuitive as I thought it would be. Then he went and pulled in some charting library (we do not otherwise use charting libraries - just D3 because we’ve always been hardcore like that (or at least I was hardcore like that), so that was probably a source of strife - trying to make a third party stock chart do weird custom poo poo. And he somehow couldn’t get <foreignObject> to work for adding icons from our icon set so he implemented icons from some
random other set as SVG paths. And overall strange component structure. Also typos and bad variable naming.

And none of this weirdness and badness was caught in a timely manner and corrected because this guy has a strange habit of only doing a single commit/push when his thing is complete.

I’m so very glad I no longer have to work with him or in an environment that finds any of the above acceptable. Especially the part where everyone apparently has to blindly follow consultant design specs even if they’re bad and/or don’t jive with the rest of the visuals.

At least my final component got through code review without any issues. Boss said it was really good. :kiddo: Even after I handed in my resignation and mostly checked out I still made sure to at least write good code for the sake of writing good code - pride in workmanship and all that.

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt
I was always partial to the 'line in .bashrc that appends sleep 1 (or 0.1 depending on support and how sneaky you're feeling) to .bashrc' prank.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Queen Victorian posted:

And none of this weirdness and badness was caught in a timely manner and corrected because this guy has a strange habit of only doing a single commit/push when his thing is complete.

How old is this guy? He'll stop doing this when he loses a week's worth of work because he didn't want anyone to look at his precious half-finished opus when he drops his laptop into the street but something tells me he hasn't been around long enough to see that actually happen to someone.

Good for you getting out. Place sounds incredibly toxic.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Clanpot Shake posted:

The schadenfreude is just the icing on the cake, congratulations on escaping

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

That Dang Lizard posted:

I was always partial to the 'line in .bashrc that appends sleep 1 (or 0.1 depending on support and how sneaky you're feeling) to .bashrc' prank.

Oh god. That’s pure evil. I would never think to check that and I’d just reset everything.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Clanpot Shake posted:

How old is this guy? He'll stop doing this when he loses a week's worth of work because he didn't want anyone to look at his precious half-finished opus when he drops his laptop into the street but something tells me he hasn't been around long enough to see that actually happen to someone.

He’s 24 or 25, so yeah, probably hasn’t had an incident that would teach him otherwise. I’m also not sure why he hasn’t been told outright to do bite-sized commits and regular pushes like everyone else. I had an incident in high school in which I lost an entire essay when I accidentally dislodged the computer’s power cord with my drat fidgety feet. Now I don’t gently caress around and make sure to push my poo poo at least daily.

Yeah, I’m super glad to be leaving. It wasn’t always bad and got worse gradually, and I was suffering from worsening seasonal depression, so I was slow to notice the shift and then felt too lovely about myself to bail when I did notice (I credit getting treatment with giving me the boost I needed to find some self respect and get out). It’s crazy how just a couple of personnel changes can so drastically alter the vibe of a team for the worse.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Queen Victorian posted:

He’s 24 or 25, so yeah, probably hasn’t had an incident that would teach him otherwise. I’m also not sure why he hasn’t been told outright to do bite-sized commits and regular pushes like everyone else.
I once worked with a contractor who spend a few months not sharing his code at all. He worked on a special project for some VP and it was presented as a silver bullet to our quality woes. He basically wrote a testing framework from scratch as he considered the one we used not good enough.
Needless to say that when he left as his project ran out of budget and the code was handed over to us, we replicated all functionality in the framework already in use, in about a week. We then scrapped his code.
Some time before that, I asked him why he was not sharing his code. He argued that everyone was biased and we would probably misunderstand his intention and implementation and criticize it without grounds to do so. Considering he got away with it for almost a year getting big fat paychecks, I would say the strategy worked out for him.

So yeah, this young dev shielding his code until he is almost done is betting on the sunk cost fallacy to get his lovely code merged as he cannot take critisism halfway.

People who are old enough might remember your parent having this discussion:
"Maybe you can ask that friendly looking man for directions?"
"I don't need directions as I am not lost."
"But do you know how to get aunt Helens house from here?"
"Do you want to drive? No? Now let me!"

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Keetron posted:

I once worked with a contractor who spend a few months not sharing his code at all. He worked on a special project for some VP and it was presented as a silver bullet to our quality woes. He basically wrote a testing framework from scratch as he considered the one we used not good enough.
Needless to say that when he left as his project ran out of budget and the code was handed over to us, we replicated all functionality in the framework already in use, in about a week. We then scrapped his code.
Some time before that, I asked him why he was not sharing his code. He argued that everyone was biased and we would probably misunderstand his intention and implementation and criticize it without grounds to do so. Considering he got away with it for almost a year getting big fat paychecks, I would say the strategy worked out for him.

So yeah, this young dev shielding his code until he is almost done is betting on the sunk cost fallacy to get his lovely code merged as he cannot take critisism halfway.

People who are old enough might remember your parent having this discussion:
"Maybe you can ask that friendly looking man for directions?"
"I don't need directions as I am not lost."
"But do you know how to get aunt Helens house from here?"
"Do you want to drive? No? Now let me!"

That’s why I push for architecture reviews within 2 days of a story going to in progress. If your not ready to share code, share your approach so you have more than one person thinking about scaling, security, and edge cases.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Keetron posted:

I think you nailed it.

A while ago, he and I built a series of form components - these were all very similar. I was a React noob then, but still figured out how to make a self-contained component that handled both input and submission. He built his with a superfluous wrapper component that divided functionality for no reason. And did the single giant commit thing so we didn’t see it coming and couldn’t see his thought process.

When boss asked why he built it with the wrapper, he said it was more readable (it loving was not and boss knew it). I was told to approve it anyway. Having him refactor it would have meant starting over from scratch and there wasn’t time for that, so there you go.

And yes, he takes criticism pretty poorly.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I have been there, but the life of a narcissist is a lovely one.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

That Dang Lizard posted:

code:

sleep `date +%w`

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

code:
sleep `date +%w`

I was thinking +%W, but the schadenfreude comes much quicker and more routinely this way.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

My bash-fu is weak at the moment. What exactly does that do?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Sleep based upon day of the week

I’ve usually shoved stuff into folks’ system scheduler and had it e-mail oneself at odd hours or use AppleScript to do things with Messenger like sending a webcam photo taken earlier in the day if they’re on a Mac.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Queen Victorian posted:

I think you nailed it.

A while ago, he and I built a series of form components - these were all very similar. I was a React noob then, but still figured out how to make a self-contained component that handled both input and submission. He built his with a superfluous wrapper component that divided functionality for no reason. And did the single giant commit thing so we didn’t see it coming and couldn’t see his thought process.

When boss asked why he built it with the wrapper, he said it was more readable (it loving was not and boss knew it). I was told to approve it anyway. Having him refactor it would have meant starting over from scratch and there wasn’t time for that, so there you go.

And yes, he takes criticism pretty poorly.

Another possible reason for the single big commit at the end could be to hide actual progress or lack thereof. If you're wasting 80% of your time and not actually being productive, it will show up in your commits

beuges fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

My broader question is: what sort of work environment do you have set up where your coworkers' bash config file permissions are even visible, let alone exploitable?