Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cool how millions of people are going to be Wal-Mart greeters and/or suicide victims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

so is GE going to be bailed out or what

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

so is GE going to be bailed out or what

Depends how much money the CEO gives Trump's reelection campaign

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just for fun I punched it into google and

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/08/ge-ceo-jeff-immelts-message-to-trump-hey-mr-president-were-running-your-play.html

quote:

Immelt also said he likes what Trump is doing so far when it comes to infrastructure, tax reform and regulatory reform. He plans to help Trump in any way that he can, and intends to lead by example.

So yes, GE will be bailed out.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

GE is a major defense contractor so its Too National Security To Fail

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

I was just about to post this.

Both sides will gleefully give them money.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shear Modulus posted:

Which GE is this though.
Because all the other sections of GE can be splintered off into autonomous entities and the insurance fraudster part can just die.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure the GE bailout will be immediately followed by the Boeing bailout.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Which GE is this though.
Because all the other sections of GE can be splintered off into autonomous entities and the insurance fraudster part can just die.

aircraft engines and missiles

they also operate some nuclear reactors

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Maybe this isn't the place to ask, but I figured someone in the thread may be able to help me. What's the best organization to get involved with for protesting ICE detention centers in southern California? I live out in the desert east of LA and after seeing there incident in Rhode Island I want to protest the closest ICE site but I don't know where to start. Is the DSA organizing stuff like this?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SoR Blaze posted:

Maybe this isn't the place to ask, but I figured someone in the thread may be able to help me. What's the best organization to get involved with for protesting ICE detention centers in southern California? I live out in the desert east of LA and after seeing there incident in Rhode Island I want to protest the closest ICE site but I don't know where to start. Is the DSA organizing stuff like this?

buy a rifle

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

SoR Blaze posted:

https://twitter.com/CHIRLA/status/1159638283338563584?s=20

Also check with your local DSA and ACLU CA as well.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Pacific island nations affected by the climate crisis will continue to survive “because many of their workers come here to pick our fruit”, Australia’s deputy prime minister has said.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

it had never occurred to me that oceania constitutes the same kind of exploitable labor relationship due to its economically peripheral status as, say, Guatemala has with the US, but I guess I'm not surprised.

anyway, he's right, Australia will find them new islands with special camps on them where they will get to live and die inbetween picking mangos for bogans

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny thing is that Australia started enslaving pacific islanders real early and avoided a diaspora by just killing them all iirc

Also see the genocide of the Tasmanians

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I found it funny that in 30 Rock capitalist reagenmonster Jack Donaghy was upset and treated it as a demotion when NBC got sold off by GE to Comcast Kabletown, knowing full well that GE was gonna go down the toilet way faster than a telecom giant.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is that Australia started enslaving pacific islanders real early and avoided a diaspora by just killing them all iirc

No, once "blackbirding" was over, we returned all the people we had kidnapped and enslaved back to their islands.

They were given no choice in this because the "White Australia" policy was brought in around that time, so they were rounded up and shipped off. Whoops, hope you hadn't tried to make a new life for yourself, or anything.

And if you believe any effort went into making sure they went back to the right island, or even a habitable one, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Imagine if the US had sent all their slaves back to Africa and just offloaded them on some beach while beating their chest about how loving charitable they were being.

"Thanks for the slavery, we got this now. You get nothing."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Isn't that basically what happened with Liberia

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No, once "blackbirding" was over, we returned all the people we had kidnapped and enslaved back to their islands.

They were given no choice in this because the "White Australia" policy was brought in around that time, so they were rounded up and shipped off. Whoops, hope you hadn't tried to make a new life for yourself, or anything.

And if you believe any effort went into making sure they went back to the right island, or even a habitable one, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Imagine if the US had sent all their slaves back to Africa and just offloaded them on some beach while beating their chest about how loving charitable they were being.

"Thanks for the slavery, we got this now. You get nothing."

It's weird how everyone forgets about the native Americans...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I knew a migrant farm slave laborer who was imported to work in Australia a few years ago. The poor hell-hole he was from was the tiny island nation of... New Zealand.

That dude was all sorts of weird now that I'm thinking about it, like he was super right wing and often had tinges of fash show through, but he was also gay as all heck so it always felt super uncomfortable, like the two sides of him didn't quite fit together right and he had to pound them in with a hammer.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I've never understood people with dual ideologies like that. I've met sex workers who are right wing and gay people who are hard-core no deal Brexiters.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Shame Boy posted:

I knew a migrant farm slave laborer who was imported to work in Australia a few years ago. The poor hell-hole he was from was the tiny island nation of... New Zealand.

That dude was all sorts of weird now that I'm thinking about it, like he was super right wing and often had tinges of fash show through, but he was also gay as all heck so it always felt super uncomfortable, like the two sides of him didn't quite fit together right and he had to pound them in with a hammer.

New Zealand is racist as all heck against their native population very similarly to aboriginal problems but probably not AS bad but I'm no expert.

They talk about them like white people talk about welfare queens.

It's almost like the spooky nebulous Other, is a scapegoat for monsters everywhere.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

New Zealand is racist as all heck against their native population very similarly to aboriginal problems but probably not AS bad but I'm no expert.

They talk about them like white people talk about welfare queens.

It's almost like the spooky nebulous Other, is a scapegoat for monsters everywhere.

To be clear the guy was white and himself a racist against... lots of different groups, sooo :shrug:

I have no idea why he was in that line of work, I think he just enjoyed getting up early and picking crops and moving to a new location every few weeks? I didn't really think about it at the time but the more I think back the weirder the dude gets.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

To be clear the guy was white and himself a racist against... lots of different groups, sooo :shrug:

I have no idea why he was in that line of work, I think he just enjoyed getting up early and picking crops and moving to a new location every few weeks? I didn't really think about it at the time but the more I think back the weirder the dude gets.

Just pointing out New Zeland has a reputation as being more nice and benign than Australia. It's weird. But there.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Forceholy posted:

gay people who are hard-core no deal Brexiters.

Lexit is a(n incredibly stupid) thing

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Forceholy posted:

I've never understood people with dual ideologies like that. I've met sex workers who are right wing and gay people who are hard-core no deal Brexiters.

I haven’t been following other than via the CSPAM thread, so I’m missing something: how is Brexit going to be bad for gay people? (other than the chaos and institutional dysfunction that would affect everyone, obviously)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bombadilillo posted:

Just pointing out New Zeland has a reputation as being more nice and benign than Australia. It's weird. But there.

Every colonial state loooooves making GBS threads on the natives

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I haven’t been following other than via the CSPAM thread, so I’m missing something: how is Brexit going to be bad for gay people? (other than the chaos and institutional dysfunction that would affect everyone, obviously)

Get a load of this.

Theres people who say they are Christian's, who are actively harmful to the widows and orphans and the immigrants! Some are even rich!

Boy I tell yah

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Subjunctive posted:

Economic recession, the brunt of which would invariably be carried by minorities under a Tory government. And Brexit is the work of the fash (lol Lexit) so supporting it means aligning with a bunch of homophobes. One of the Brexit Party's key politicians, Ann Widdecombe, believes science can find a solution to being gay.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Forceholy posted:

you can be a straight white male with no empathy for people other than yourself, and you can also be a gay person, sex worker, whatever with no empathy for people other than yourself. there's no paradox there

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

It's like gay people who vote Republican in the U.S. because they want lower taxes.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

little munchkin posted:

you can be a straight white male with no empathy for people other than yourself, and you can also be a gay person, sex worker, whatever with no empathy for people other than yourself. there's no paradox there

It's not a paradox it's just weird, like they always feel like they're very uncomfortable with the different parts of themselves and the different ideas jumbling around and butting up against each other in their head. You get increasingly bizarre rationalizations too, like I remember one guy we found in the dork enlightenment mock thread (maybe it was nyd?) who was gay but to them their form of gay is ok because it was based on this idea that gay men need to be these ultra-manly viking warriors who have honorable gay sex before they go off to battle barbarians or something, it was... interesting...

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 17:02 on Aug 16, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

It's like gay people who vote Republican in the U.S. because they want lower taxes.

Or like Tim Cook being Tim Cook:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanatosian posted:

yeah, but republicans in the US have as a policy plank various regressive anti-gay measures. brexit seemed to be mostly targeted at immigrants, and I hadn’t seen a description of how it would be bad for gay people any more than for straight people. I suppose there is always more and it is always worse.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I mean, one of the OG Nazis was a gay man (who got killed as soon as Hitler didn't need him).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well-off white people will defend their privilege first and foremost above anything else and convince themselves that the fascists will totally let them keep their money and still be on TV as long as they help shut the commies up.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, but republicans in the US have as a policy plank various regressive anti-gay measures. brexit seemed to be mostly targeted at immigrants, and I hadn’t seen a description of how it would be bad for gay people any more than for straight people. I suppose there is always more and it is always worse.

Ignoring the implications of the brexiteers themselves being homophobes that has already been brought up, yeah I don't think there's any particular reason why [cis, white] gays will have a harder time than anyone else. Of course if you include transpeople, the story gets a lot more bleak - there's already been a run on stuff like estrogen (mostly driven by cis women who use HRT post-menopause) and even the online places jacked up the price now, and I'm guessing it's only going to get worse.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Most of the pro-Brexit groups are anti-gay.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well-off white people will defend their privilege first and foremost above anything else and convince themselves that the fascists will totally let them keep their money and still be on TV as long as they help shut the commies up.

53% of white women voted for Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Minority identities happens different to rich and poor. I am trans in a really, really different way than Caitlyn Jenner, because in all likelihood I'll never have surgery, hand made flattering clothing, and a team of makeup people. I get medicaid estrogen, thrift store skirts and drugstore makeup put on by myself. We're both transgender since we both ID as a different gender than the one we were assigned at birth, but the experience of having access to power and resources matters. I have no doubt that most people she talks to call her madam, since most of the people she will meet work for her and could/would get canned -- whereas most of the people I meet in a day are the customers (who think I work for them.) It's an entirely different world to interact with on the bougies.

She'll probably still get shat on as much as any of us poor trans women should that money and power go away, but the only way anyone has that much money is exploiting others for however long she hasn't actually done work. Rich people are rich first, at least as far as their wallets count, since anyone who isn't doesn't get rich. The same thing applies to anyone with power, or anyone who thinks they're gonna get that power any day now.