Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Brave New World posted:

poo poo, I have a whopping 14 characters, and 3 of them are "abandoned with a crappy name change so I could reroll a slightly different toon with the good name".

Conversely, half my alts are variations of the same name but a slightly different build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Golden Girl alt account found

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

TBF only 8 of them are above level 10 and most of the rest of them are level 1 or 2

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Reminder you can change your name whenever the hell you want at the selection screen

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Inspiration combining macros and such that Sufficient asked for

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/6236-quick-insp-conversion-macros/

https://web.archive.org/web/20120904041854/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=125603

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Soonmot posted:

Please :rolleyes:

My template is red she hulk

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

I use some bind I found for firefarming that just converts everything to purples, it cycles through like four bind files so I just hit like... alt+del four times or something.

1red.txt
code:
lalt+delete "inspcombine Insight Luck$$inspcombine Respite Luck$$inspcombine Enrage Luck$$inspcombine Catch_a_Breath Luck$$inspcombine Break_Free Luck$$inspcombine Sturdy Luck$$bindloadfile "I:\City of Heroes Bind\2red.txt"
2red.txt
code:
lalt+delete "inspcombine Keen_Insight Good_Luck$$inspcombine Dramatic_Improvement Good_Luck$$inspcombine Focused_Rage Good_Luck$$inspcombine Take_a_Breather Good_Luck$$bindloadfile "I:\City of Heroes Bind\3red.txt"
3red.txt
code:
lalt+delete "inspcombine Emerge Good_Luck$$inspcombine Rugged Good_Luck$$inspcombine Uncanny_Insight Phenomenal_Luck$$inspcombine Resurgence Phenomenal_Luck$$inspcombine Righteous_Rage Phenomenal_Luck$$bindloadfile "I:\City of Heroes Bind\4red.txt"
4red.txt
code:
lalt+delete "inspcombine Second_Wind Phenomenal_Luck$$inspcombine Escape Phenomenal_Luck$$inspcombine Robust Phenomenal_Luck$$bindloadfile "I:\City of Heroes Bind\1red.txt"
If macros do it for you then godspeed, but I already use a bunch of my trays for ridiculous sometimes use P2W powers like calling an uber for my team when we have a mission in the buttfuck middle of nowhere during a taskforce or turning into a dog.

Note that this is wholly stolen. I assume you can only load so many commands into one line, and thus it is four files instead of just one. Also it was originally for making reds (as the file name would suggest) but purples are more necessary at my current level of fire farming.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Soonmot posted:

:cawg:

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Weeks ago, there was somebody on Everlasting who had mentioned that they had over two hundred characters across multiple accounts. I wonder how many they're up to now, roleplaying with themselves, dancing the night away in one of the many terrible "RP City" bases.

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms

Thank you man!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Judgement posted:

Weeks ago, there was somebody on Everlasting who had mentioned that they had over two hundred characters across multiple accounts. I wonder how many they're up to now, roleplaying with themselves, dancing the night away in one of the many terrible "RP City" bases.

That's rather strange to me with my less than 20 alts, but as far as ways to have fun in this game about spandex goes, it's certainly not objectionable.

E:

Nothing like finding the perfect badge title... That requires navigating Boomtown and Faultline at level 7.

I mean, I'm sure there are some concepts that go perfectly with badges in the Rikti War Zone or Dark Astoria, but rushing any badge early is just a bit nerve-wracking when any enemy can kill you by looking at you funny.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 13, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Judgement posted:

:psyduck: Does this person roleplay an entire group of characters at once?

...Or since accounts are free now they can fully separate all their really terrible ERP characters from their clean main accounts.

Or maybe both. :gonk:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 14, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

John Murdoch posted:

:psyduck: Does this person roleplay an entire group of characters at once?

...Or since accounts are free now they can fully separate all their really terrible ERP characters from their clean main accounts.

Or maybe both. :gonk:

Yes, they absolutely do.

It reminds me of my stint with Champions and how their social club was chock-full of people taking their RP so seriously that they'd report you for picking up a chair or using your powers.

Hell, I had a group of Vampire Masquerade wannabes berate me via PM for being in "their" club with an ugly character.

In the early days of the game, the travel powers were weirdly loud and the rocket boots were like jet engines. Someone had them on and was idling near the trainer/crafter.

I sent them a PM asking them to turn it off if they were just hanging out and they sent me literally 20+ messages about how I was a Nazi for trying to force them to bend to my rules and how they are a very good mother :psyduck:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Has the population gone down? I see like half as many goons on these days and I can't seem to get a group past prime time anymore.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

Has the population gone down? I see like half as many goons on these days and I can't seem to get a group past prime time anymore.

Yes. I was away for a few weeks, and came back to an obviously smaller number of people on Everlasting(which is usually #2). I can still get groups, but they usually fill in 5-10 minutes instead of 1-5.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Work, Mario Maker 2, and now No Man's Sky have stolen me.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Freakazoid_ posted:

If for some reason you hop on and no one is there to team with, message me on Discord and i'll likely be more than happy to switch.
I have had RL stuff and an old addiction to FO:NV has resurfaced.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The FFXIV expansion hit which almost certainly drew a bunch of people away, on top of whatever number bled away after the initial hype died down.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
The saddest part of being a Stalker is that it's really hard to see your sweet costume.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Crasical posted:

The saddest part of being a Stalker is that it's really hard to see your sweet costume.
Unless you chose costume parts with insane under the hood clipping. Then you'll see SOME of it nonstop :v:

"I shall make an evil butler!" *Cuff links are elbow length white tubes* ...Back to the tailor!"

I think there is at lest one belt that just makes a solid disc through your torso. And recently I noticed one of the leadership toggles (it was either assault or tactics, not both) creates a tiny little rotating 2d white square in the chest of my Miasma defender.

Hmm, maybe you could go all in on this and try to design a character that reveals a horrific display of clipping errors once stealth turns on?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

The FFXIV expansion hit which almost certainly drew a bunch of people away, on top of whatever number bled away after the initial hype died down.

Yeah this has been my primary distraction lately.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Section Z posted:

Unless you chose costume parts with insane under the hood clipping. Then you'll see SOME of it nonstop :v:

"I shall make an evil butler!" *Cuff links are elbow length white tubes* ...Back to the tailor!"

I think there is at lest one belt that just makes a solid disc through your torso. And recently I noticed one of the leadership toggles (it was either assault or tactics, not both) creates a tiny little rotating 2d white square in the chest of my Miasma defender.

Hmm, maybe you could go all in on this and try to design a character that reveals a horrific display of clipping errors once stealth turns on?

the most horrifying villain: Clippy.

"It looks like you're trying to rob a bank. Would you like help?"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was pulled away by the FFXIV expansion and then Fire Emblem, personally. I really want to get back to CoH soon but I'm on a big tactics RPG kick right now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah ive been busy playing other games and netflix has been pumping out one show after the other this last month or so ive been watching a lot of tv recently as well

site fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 16, 2019

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
76 grabbed me, then I was playing dungeons 3, came back to reduced population thanks to FFXIV and now I'm back on my stardew bullshit

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
And in 10 days, some of us are going back to Azeroth for a few months. :orks101:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I will admit the old gameplay is just a little to much to keep me back. I enjoyed the hell out out of creating many, many neat characters and fighting with the base creator (made a neat little castle) but yeah, the core game just couldn't't hold my attention for long.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm kind of in the same boat. The FFXIV expansion is excellent and fully pulled me back away from City. I had a lot of fun revisiting it but I'm not sure how much more time I'll be spending there.

I can always hope that the completely bonkers player base that Homecoming pulled in catches somebody's attention and a modernized successor game with actual money and staffing behind it sees the light of day. Champions Online is lol and DC Universe never did it for me.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
For a game that was around as long as it was before getting shut down, there just doesn't seem to be much there to keep me playing. Got my main to 50, dragged a ton of others into the alt graveyard that is the 20-30 range, helped build a cool base, laughed at some roleplayers, enjoyed playing with some other roleplayers, gradually lost steam.

It feIt absolutely great to be able to revisit the game though, and if it does manage to be kept alive for a while longer I can see myself returning occasionally when the mood comes back around again, just like I did when it was still live. I've tried going back to DCUO a few times and it's okay enough for being entirely a different beast, Champions is and always has been absolute garbage, but I'll always eventually get back in the mood to make some stupid new characters and Defeat All Snakes.

I'll probably still keep an eye on the supergroup base lists though, touring those was fantastic. Especially when a friend and I managed to stumble directly into people ERPing (or just normal RPing) while doing so, on more than one occasion!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah for me it's totally been the FFXIV expansion, but eventually I'll burn out levelling alt jobs and return to CoH.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
To be clear, I'm definitely going to be returning to CoX, and will probably be pretty anxious to do so once I've had my fill of Vanilla WoW. So I guess I'm in a slightly different category here. :shrug:

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Same. Nostalgia was great, parts of it are still compelling, but the core gameplay is very grindy and the accreted years of patches give a particular dissonance to the design. Meanwhile, the Green Mars expansion was calling...

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Soonmot posted:

76 grabbed me, then I was playing dungeons 3, came back to reduced population thanks to FFXIV and now I'm back on my stardew bullshit

You're actually admitting to playing 76?

quote:

Especially when a friend and I managed to stumble directly into people ERPing (or just normal RPing)

There's a difference?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Brave New World posted:

To be clear, I'm definitely going to be returning to CoX, and will probably be pretty anxious to do so once I've had my fill of Vanilla WoW. So I guess I'm in a slightly different category here. :shrug:

Yeah, I'm definitely going to be coming back to CoX. I can see what people mean when they talk about the core gameplay being archaic, but I like it, and I like the freedom in character building and group composition and everything like that. I'm not even really coming from a place of nostalgia--I played for like a week at most back when CoH first launched--but I dunno, it clicks with me for some reason.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
I've been hoping for a CoX return for a while now. I'm glad to see this going strong.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gynovore posted:

You're actually admitting to playing 76?

There's a difference?

i was also playing anthem before CoH came back

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I never had the chance to play back on live, so I'm really enjoying this. I can tell that the game is showing its age (One of the Faultline quests has a loving Leeroy Jenkins joke in it), but the core gameplay loop is still engaging.

I play for an hour or two a night, down from 6 to ten in my early binge period. My main problem is a mild social anxiety that keeps me from grouping. Even with goons, I just feel wrong about asking to group up. I should just turn on LFG and play as normal until someone else invites me.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Soonmot posted:

i was also playing anthem before CoH came back

jesus christ

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Dareon posted:

I never had the chance to play back on live, so I'm really enjoying this. I can tell that the game is showing its age (One of the Faultline quests has a loving Leeroy Jenkins joke in it), but the core gameplay loop is still engaging.

I play for an hour or two a night, down from 6 to ten in my early binge period. My main problem is a mild social anxiety that keeps me from grouping. Even with goons, I just feel wrong about asking to group up. I should just turn on LFG and play as normal until someone else invites me.

Roll on one of the Homecoming servers and keep scanning LFG for teams forming for Task Forces and poo poo. This isn't WoW- People here are actually friendly and helpful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Even on Live it wasn't uncommon for people to say that CoH was their MMO comfort food. Maybe you get really wound up in a character concept and blast them all the way to 50 one month and then the next you log in for five minutes to make yet another dumb joke character and then immediately log back out.

More than once I'd spend a bunch of time away binging through a show or a different game and then promptly come back to CoH with a new character concept based on whatever I was doing but clearly wasn't done thinking about yet.

Though it does also help a lot to have an interest in a little bit of everything. If the combat and leveling is all you're focused on, the game's gonna lose its shine pretty quick.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 17, 2019