Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

site posted:

i cant believe the dumb need-something-to-be-mad-about-because-its-not-a-manga complaint regarding shield wasnt that homeland wasnt a word the govenment used until post 9/11

That would be a very dumb complaint for someone to make. In our world, "homeland" had too many jingoistic and nazi-ish connotations to be used like that by the government. Up until 9/11, when we decided that jingoistic and nazi-ish was good. But the Marvel Cinematic Universe takes place in an alternate timeline where the US government in general and SHIELD specifically were infiltrated by super nazis after WWII. So it makes sense for them to be saying homeland back even in the 90s. And all that aside, I don't think they ever say what SHIELD stands for in Captain Marvel.

It did bug the poo poo out of me when Legends of Tomorrow went back to the 1950s and a local cop used the term "Serial killer", because that term didn't exist in the 1950s. That was a pretty egregious mistake for them to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Gripweed posted:

I know I'm way late on this, but I finally got around to Captain Marvel. I didn't follow any of the ~discourse~ around it at the time, but I was aware that there was a small but very vocal group of people online who were extremely mad about it. And now, having seen it, I think I know why they were mad and I'm 100% with them

In Iron Man, Tony Stark had never heard of SHIELD. And when asked about it, Coulson said they were new. Now, the Captain America movies gave Shield this decades long backstory, and SHIELD became a very open and active player in later Marvel movies. But you could square that by saying that SHIELD had been operating in secrecy or obscurity up until the Battle of New York, which forced them and the Avengers project into the spotlight.

But in Captain Marvel, Nick Fury is flashing his SHIELD badge to randos on the street in the mid 90s! What the gently caress!

People were right to be mad about Captain Marvel

This isn't why most of the people "mad about" Captain Marvel were mad, and I think you truly would have had to have buried your head in the sand or been trapped in a cave for years to not glean that the issue was mostly sexism, or rather, that the issue was mostly sexists. There are legitimate issues with the movie (I don't like how cheery it is about the military) but overwhelmingly the driving force behind the online backlash was the organized tantrums of misogynists. I don't know if this post is a bit or what, but come on.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Don’t engage the chronic threadshitter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

It did bug the poo poo out of me when Legends of Tomorrow went back to the 1950s and a local cop used the term "Serial killer", because that term didn't exist in the 1950s. That was a pretty egregious mistake for them to make.

Something that bugged me far too much in the original Civil War event is that they called the elite cops who were supposed to take out unregistered superheroes "Cape Killers" since the vast majority of famous superheroes in the 616 didn't wear capes, including none of the main anti-registration ones. It's really just sometimes Thor (who was dead at the time) and then probably the next most famous hero with a cape was loving Moon Knight or something.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm confused what does this have to do with Haikyu?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Archyduchess posted:

This isn't why most of the people "mad about" Captain Marvel were mad, and I think you truly would have had to have buried your head in the sand or been trapped in a cave for years to not glean that the issue was mostly sexism, or rather, that the issue was mostly sexists. There are legitimate issues with the movie (I don't like how cheery it is about the military) but overwhelmingly the driving force behind the online backlash was the organized tantrums of misogynists. I don't know if this post is a bit or what, but come on.

It's kinda funny, I went in expecting Captain Marvel to be another Wonder Woman. A middle of the road, unmemorable superhero movie that internet people said it was either important politics or destroying society because the main character was a woman. But Captain Marvel actually was kinda feminist. At the end, when she defeats the bad guy by refusing to be judged by his standards, that was actually a feminist thing.

On the other hand, people online were mad about Captain Marvel because of it's collaboration with the Air Force, and I went in fully expecting that aspect of the movie to be really gross. After the super problematic politics of Black Panther I was totally ready for Captain Marvel to be some gross jingoistic thing where Captain Marvel has to team up with a hero air force pilot to drone bomb some aliens or something. But instead, the Air Force was basically the bad guy. It served two roles in the movie. On a plot level the Air Force's coverup of the disappearance of one of their pilots was an obstacle the characters had to overcome, and on a character level Captain Marvel was in part shaped by overcoming the sexism she faced from literally every level of the Air Force. Like, the Air Force was an antagonist if not an outright bad guy in the movie.

So yeah, good movie, better politics than I ever would've expected, actually kinda feminist, but it disregards MCU canon so into the trash bin it goes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BUT SAM WASHED DISHES THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I was going through the AFI Top 100 Films and I have to say if you're going to call a movie The Godfather Part II but you loving don't call the first loving film in the series The Godfather Part I I'm not going to watch your lovely thrown together bullshit, it's just embarassing. How did any of these people get work after that blunder?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Edge & Christian posted:

I was going through the AFI Top 100 Films and I have to say if you're going to call a movie The Godfather Part II but you loving don't call the first loving film in the series The Godfather Part I I'm not going to watch your lovely thrown together bullshit, it's just embarassing. How did any of these people get work after that blunder?

Don't even get me started on Star Wars

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Edge & Christian posted:

I think it's because The Godfather can stand by itself as a singular thing, while The Godfather Part 2 can only exist in relation to The Godfather.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Archyduchess posted:

I assumed they weren't being serious. I mean, I hope they weren't.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I assumed they weren't being serious. I mean, I hope they weren't.

oh honey

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Someone actually hating Captain Marvel solely because of the lore thing would be refreshing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Something that bugged me far too much in the original Civil War event is that they called the elite cops who were supposed to take out unregistered superheroes "Cape Killers" since the vast majority of famous superheroes in the 616 didn't wear capes, including none of the main anti-registration ones. It's really just sometimes Thor (who was dead at the time) and then probably the next most famous hero with a cape was loving Moon Knight or something.

That annoyed me too.

Skwirl posted:

Someone actually hating Captain Marvel solely because of the lore thing would be refreshing.

Apparently Lindsay Ellis thought it was a lovely movie, though she declined to elaborate, and I'm pretty sure her reasons wouldn't be WOMAN SMIRK AAAAAAA.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read Civil War in a long time, but I definitely remember the whole thing feeling like an idea somebody had that they thought would be really cool, but with no thought to how it would actually work in the universe or with the established characters. So "Cape Killers" seems like a good microcosm of that

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

tbh i thought it was weirder that they nicknamed themselves hero murderer and tony and all the registered heros are like yeah sure cool

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

tbh i thought it was weirder that they nicknamed themselves hero murderer and tony and all the registered heros are like yeah sure cool

That's just the 616 trying to accurately represent police culture.

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesma...dEOFoCOYta86fg/

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Marvel had a blue lives matter comic right around 9/11. It is a comic

I found this:
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Cops:_The_Job_Vol_1

I see if I can find some copies later.

Edit: I found it and it is super racist

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 16, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Mr Hootington posted:

Marvel had a blue lives matter comic right around 9/11. It is a comic
Marvel did three "Call of Duty" (no relation to the video game franchise) books in 2002

Call of Duty: The Precinct (about cops) by Bruce Jones and Tom Mandrake
Call of Duty: The Wagon (about EMTs) by Chuck Austen and Danijel Zezelj
Call of Duty: The Brotherhood (about firefighters) by Chuck Austen and David Finch

I don't remember anyone liking them, not even people who were firefighters and EMTs in New York City in 2002.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I seem to remember there was a 'Marvels, but the main guy's a cop, also it's nowhere near as good' book I read through on Unlimited, but I don't remember what it was called.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I feel it's important to point out that it's not a blue lives matter book since it's over a decade too early for that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Marvel did three "Call of Duty" (no relation to the video game franchise) books in 2002

Call of Duty: The Precinct (about cops) by Bruce Jones and Tom Mandrake
Call of Duty: The Wagon (about EMTs) by Chuck Austen and Danijel Zezelj
Call of Duty: The Brotherhood (about firefighters) by Chuck Austen and David Finch

I don't remember anyone liking them, not even people who were firefighters and EMTs in New York City in 2002.

Yeah I read them last year and they suck and end abruptly with look for there continued adventures in *mumble mumble*

Soonmot posted:

I feel it's important to point out that it's not a blue lives matter book since it's over a decade too early for that.

And racism was invented until Obama was elected jesus christ

Edit: I'm being unfair to soonmot. Having just read cops: the job. That is the chud #bluelivesmatter book.
Call of duty is the white liberal suburbanite idea of "our heroes in blue."

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 16, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soonmot posted:

It came out in 1992, so add another decade.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah I read them last year and they suck and end abruptly with look for there continued adventures in *mumble mumble*

And racism was invented until Obama was elected jesus christ

Edit: I'm being unfair to soonmot. Having just read cops: the job. That is the chud #bluelivesmatter book.
Call of duty is the white liberal suburbanite idea of "our heroes in blue."

the goddamn blue lives matter bullshit "movement" was a direct response to black lives matter. No one is saying that cops weren't racist before that.

And 1992? I thought we were talking about the post 9-11 first responder propaganda?

Edited out some needlessly inflammatory bullshit. Sorry.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 16, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well that escalated

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
i'm two days sober and apparently a bit testy

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Soonmot posted:

i'm two days sober and apparently a bit testy

unironic congrats, that's a hard decision but speaking from my own experience often a really good one

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Soonmot posted:

the goddamn blue lives matter bullshit "movement" was a direct response to black lives matter. No one is saying that cops weren't racist before that.

And 1992? I thought we were talking about the post 9-11 first responder propaganda?

Edited out some needlessly inflammatory bullshit. Sorry.

Sorry I will talk about the drug war and super predators and the inner city when referring to the 90s marvel pig fellatio book instead of modern examples.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\/\that's more like it

Archyduchess posted:

unironic congrats, that's a hard decision but speaking from my own experience often a really good one

Thanks, I'm not quitting, but I do need to go back to social occasions only where it's easy for me to moderate my drinking. Last couple weeks have been drinking as soon as I got back from work and all day on my off days.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/RichStarkings/status/1162697826759053313?s=20

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
owned

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheMattDWilson/status/1163943996726665216?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/andeparks/status/1164216936441495552?s=20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He wears two pairs of pants to be prepared for this sort of thing, just like he wears a mask under his mask in case he gets demasked.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Endless Mike posted:

He wears two pairs of pants to be prepared for this sort of thing, just like he wears a mask under his mask in case he gets demasked.
"It's basically a micro-sandwich — a high-efficiency filter and heat-exchange system. The skin-contact layer's porous. Perspiration passes through it, having cooled the body ... near-normal evaporation process. The next two layers . . . include heat exchange filaments and salt precipitators. Salt's reclaimed. Motions of the body, especially breathing and some osmotic action provide the pumping force. Reclaimed water circulates to catchpockets from which you draw it through this tube in the clip at your neck... Crime and injustice are processed in the thigh pads. In the open desert, you wear this filter across your face, this tube in the nostrils with these plugs to ensure a tight fit. Breathe in through the mouth filter, out through the nose tube. With a Bat-suit in good working order, you won't lose more than a thimbleful of moisture a day..."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

He does have a backup mask in an episode of TAS.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nessus posted:

"It's basically a micro-sandwich — a high-efficiency filter and heat-exchange system. The skin-contact layer's porous. Perspiration passes through it, having cooled the body ... near-normal evaporation process. The next two layers . . . include heat exchange filaments and salt precipitators. Salt's reclaimed. Motions of the body, especially breathing and some osmotic action provide the pumping force. Reclaimed water circulates to catchpockets from which you draw it through this tube in the clip at your neck... Crime and injustice are processed in the thigh pads. In the open desert, you wear this filter across your face, this tube in the nostrils with these plugs to ensure a tight fit. Breathe in through the mouth filter, out through the nose tube. With a Bat-suit in good working order, you won't lose more than a thimbleful of moisture a day..."

thats a lot of words to say its to mask the times when he pees his pants when he gets hit really hard

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He does have a backup mask in an episode of TAS.

yeah but (ending spoilers for the episode) he also hired the guy who was trying to get his cowl in the first place, so he knew he was going to have to take off his cowl to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

site posted:

thats a lot of words to say its to mask the times when he pees his pants when he gets hit really hard

it's the passage from Dune when Liet-Kynes tells Paul about how the stillsuits work, except Batmanized

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 21, 2019