Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Loading up the save I've been playing the last few months abs I suddenly don't have an analysis visor. That is an interesting bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sometimes in this game my wireless mouse will stop dropping inputs. It'll be fine for a while and then start stuttering nonstop for a few minutes. Only seems to happen in this game but it's an old mouse so I haven't been able to rule out hardware failure. Has anyone else had a similar issue. and even better have you found a fix?

E: fresh batteries, first thing I tried.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Douchebag posted:

How do you dismantle stuff at your base? PS4 controls say to use LT but all that does is bring up the annoying wiring interface.

Should map the same across PS4 and XBone so should be click in and hold right stick.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Zaa Boogie posted:

Should map the same across PS4 and XBone so should be click in and hold right stick.

That's for inventory stuff, to delete construction objects, holding down L2 brings up a menu that has delete in it, along with coloring objects. Delete is the big red X.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gave VR another shot tonight with these settings that were posted on the Oculus reddit. Much smoother when looking around but smooth motion is not for me, I think. Not yet, anyways. Going to go ahead and wait a little until VR gets some love (mainly roomscale support so i don't lose track or where my UI is when looking around) and I build up a little more tolerance to freely moving around.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

Sometimes in this game my wireless mouse will stop dropping inputs. It'll be fine for a while and then start stuttering nonstop for a few minutes. Only seems to happen in this game but it's an old mouse so I haven't been able to rule out hardware failure. Has anyone else had a similar issue. and even better have you found a fix?

E: fresh batteries, first thing I tried.

It used to be that you had to update Logitech drivers periodically to fix issues in games but I think that compatibility has been standardized for a long time now. I had a problem like what you described recently after I bought an aluminum 'gamer' mouse pad so I bought a long USB male to female cable so that the receiver sits right next to the mouse. Personally I think you should just buy an XBone controller because this game seems to be built around controller interfaces.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Found a "Planet of Light" anomaly. Kinda neat, first time I've seen one

Could pick up some of the light fountains to decorate my base, too

Thatsnotverynice
Jun 4, 2019

ijii posted:

I started a new game, and forgotten how much of a chore it is to get anywhere in the game. It's like Terraria my first play through, just thrown to the wolves and have to figure things out. At least with NMS, they have tutorials and tips to help you progress through important stuff.

If I were you don't focus on building it'll be a drain on your resources, just learn enough to get a signal booster. Instead go through the Artemis storyline. It will help unlock useful stuff. When on planets, mine important resources and stockpile some of it. Make sure your multitool has mining beam and terrain manipulator and advanced mining beam, the latter two you'll have to craft.

Keep in mind, when the game first launched, all there was to do was just fly around on planets, mine and grab resources, visit space stations, and hyperspace jump to other systems. A lot of us had a lot of time learning the basics because that's all there was. So we focused on just finding crashed starships to upgrade to a 48 slot hauler, grinding to get the hyperdrive upgrades to we can travel far in one jump, and finding drop pods to upgrade exosuit inventory. Then eventually when building, exocraft, freighters, and portals was put into game, we already knew everything else up until that point, so we focused on that stuff next. Now all this stuff is thrown at your face at once, so I can see how it can be overwhelming.

I never delved into multiplayer, but it seems in the past people could harvest stuff from others people's farms to help craft and make money. Normally I'd extend my hand to you with my base/farm, but it's outdated and not powered up. Plus I'm not sure what's the best money making farm setup these days since I've been out of the loop for a good while. Maybe a kind soul in the Nexus can lend a hand.

Yea im gonna try to push through to getting deeper in and follow your and the other person who quoted me's advice.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
No one seems to do the nexus missions afaik

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

So if you meet a Traveller on a space station and there's an option to give them 15 nanite clusters, you can get a good amount of credits from them for it. And you can do it multiple times it seems.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Broken Cog posted:

.... Huh? What? How?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RVWinkle posted:

It used to be that you had to update Logitech drivers periodically to fix issues in games but I think that compatibility has been standardized for a long time now. I had a problem like what you described recently after I bought an aluminum 'gamer' mouse pad so I bought a long USB male to female cable so that the receiver sits right next to the mouse. Personally I think you should just buy an XBone controller because this game seems to be built around controller interfaces.

I have a controller (Logitech), but all my reflex is for mouse and keyboard and if not for fighting my mouse to aim I'd be happy with it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I asked for coordinates for a black hole. I went to the galaxy where the black hole is, but I looked on the galaxy map and there's another galaxy several jumps away that also has a black hole. Are all black holes the same or will a naturally occuring black hole take you further than the one you can have the Anomaly dude give you coordinates for?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Macaluso posted:

I asked for coordinates for a black hole. I went to the galaxy where the black hole is, but I looked on the galaxy map and there's another galaxy several jumps away that also has a black hole. Are all black holes the same or will a naturally occuring black hole take you further than the one you can have the Anomaly dude give you coordinates for?

When you say galaxy do you mean star system? I didn’t know you could jump to multiple galaxies.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah I meant star systems

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Okay, I've got a craving for a space game but I've kinda done everything I want to do in Elite Dangerous.

Is this a game where I can fly around, modifying and customising my ship to make it awesome, while building a base in space, which I will need to protect from assholes who will try to destroy my wonderful space penis base? Can I fly my base somewhere else to attack some other bastard's base to demonstrate that my base is superior?

Does this use a Newtonian flight model where you have to roll to turn?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

H13 posted:

Okay, I've got a craving for a space game but I've kinda done everything I want to do in Elite Dangerous.

Is this a game where I can fly around, modifying and customising my ship to make it awesome, while building a base in space, which I will need to protect from assholes who will try to destroy my wonderful space penis base? Can I fly my base somewhere else to attack some other bastard's base to demonstrate that my base is superior?

You can modify ships, yes. You can customize the interiors of the freighters but there are more parts and possibilities for planetary bases. There's almost no PVP in this game at all (I think it's technically possible but only by mutual consent and only in the small non-freighter ships). Sometimes you will get attacked by AI pirates or squads.

quote:

No, it's much more arcadey and less hardcore than Elite.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Found a "Planet of Light" anomaly. Kinda neat, first time I've seen one

I found a planet that looked like stained glass called a "Fragmented" planet. But this looks cooler!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DaveKap posted:

.... Huh? What? How?

Glitch planets have decorative souvenir objects that can be picked up and placed in your base or freighter. They have special compass icons when you're close and can be picked up like a deployable object.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I found a 'columed' planet and my ship UI was freaking out like in the later stages of the next main quest

This thing is aparently a very hostile....living rock

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The glitch animals are all really cute. I wonder if you can milk them?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Skipped ahead a few pages because reading all the negative experiences bummed me out and I still love the game. Anyone figure out what might be causing stuttering yet? Only thing I've really tried from this thread is turning off vsync in the Nvidia control panel (it was already off).

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I got my Star Destroyer back.

Actually I got a better Star Destroyer compared to my last playthrough this one is way larger! It is S-Class. It has all the slots. This is the kind of capital ship that costs $gently caress You units to purchase that's a pipe dream at any point beyond way late endgame, but I got it for free, because this isn't my first playthrough and I know the tricks.

If this is YOUR first playthrough, allow me to share the tricks:

In order to introduce you to the freighter system the game is hard-coded to generate a pirate encounter after 3-4 warps. Now, picture this: You are a new player and you warp into a new system and you're immediately in the middle of a dogfight - pirates attacking the freighter. You fight them off, you get invited on board by the freighter captain, he offers his freighter to you for free. What a great deal! You accept!

It's a trap, a ruse, a deception. You fool. You dullard.

The first encounter is also hard-coded to be one of the shittier, smaller freighter types, usually a C or B-class one to boot, just to get you started. Three hours later when you warp into another system and see an actual Capital Ship you'll go aboard and find it costs seventy billion units and you'll never afford one for hours and hours.

Here's the thing: the free freighter is only ever the first one offered to you. But you don't have to go take the lovely first one. You can just not board at all, and go about your business, and leave the system.

Pirate attacks on freighters are coded to happen after either a few real-time hours of play or a much larger number of warps, and after the first one can include capitals. When the game decides you're ready to have another encounter, your next warp into the middle of a dogfight is not a random encounter - if you load an autosave from just before you made that warp, you can warp anywhere and there will be a freighter battle waiting for you.

A specific system will have the same freighter when you warp there but every system will have a different one. If you want a Big Ship you want to stick to 3-star economic systems (the richest ones; make sure you have an economy scanner installed on your regular ship) When you find the right one? Kill the pirates, accept the communication from the freighter, board and talk to the captain. No charge! You do not save your game when landing on a freighter so you can even just load a save if you don't like the number of slots or class.

Now, if you happened to select that starting free freighter, you are out of luck. If you did, I urge you not to get too salty over it - freighter model and size has basically no effect whatsoever on the actual mechanics of freighter fleets, and is basically just for a fun visual of owning a Big Ship. They all look exactly the same on the inside and have the same space for customization. It's actually because of that, that I suggest this whole venture; it's really *not* worth a few hundred million units to get the best freighter, it's just a way-too-high endgame unit sink.

So if you want a cool looking ship to be your mobile base and have the opportunity, well, it might just be worth doing.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 17, 2019

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Anybody else with an ultrawide 4k monitor on PC who feels like it doesn't quite render right? The UI looks a little squished and it doesn't actually feel like the resolution I asked for.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

H13 posted:

This game is awesome, but what you’re describing leans more toward X4, or maybe the newly released Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Meiteron posted:

I got my Star Destroyer back.

just be worth doing.

My first save from the weekend prior to the update involved me thinking I would get in on that freighter attack. I hit a piece and some orange color item appeared. So I blasted it to hell and left him with pirates. I had no idea that was some tutorial or story thing.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
has anyone else had an issue where the game deregisters your base and if so, how do i fix it

if i cannot fix it i guess i am just taking a break from this game again

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Zaa Boogie posted:

So if you meet a Traveller on a space station and there's an option to give them 15 nanite clusters, you can get a good amount of credits from them for it. And you can do it multiple times it seems.

That's only about 20,000 units, though, and I don't want to give away my precious nanites. I get 40,000 for scanning a single plant now and I haven't even added all of the scanning upgrades yet.

Add S-rated scanner modules to your multi-tool for easy money. Put them next to each other for even bigger bonuses.

How to get quicksilver?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Is there a reasonable way to find a better multi-tool? Still dinking around with the default gun and assumed I'd get a free offer from the Nexus since I remember the free tool in the column in the Anomaly, but I can't find one.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

That's only about 20,000 units, though, and I don't want to give away my precious nanites. I get 40,000 for scanning a single plant now and I haven't even added all of the scanning upgrades yet.

Add S-rated scanner modules to your multi-tool for easy money. Put them next to each other for even bigger bonuses.

How to get quicksilver?

There's two people on the anomaly now that gives you nanites for every planet you visit and all the things you scan. I'm only on my 3rd system and I've already got 2k+ of the things.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The second system I ever jumped into had a 24-slot A-rank multitool for sale and I didn't realize it for dozens of hours because I never checked, so just check every system with a functional station you jump into I guess.

Maybe buy something with a few more slots as a stopgap and then save for when you find something amazing.

edit: I remember the free one I was offered being some trash one with less than 10 slots anyway

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 17, 2019

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

In the save before this one, I found a 24 slot multitool for sale at 1.3 million credits or so an hour after getting airborne. Just keep checking stations, the anomaly and those small trading posts planetside.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Made a glass bridge and put a balance beam in the middle

Pretty scary but it would’ve been way better if PSVR was roomscale

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
No 'just upload all discoveries' button: bad

Giving every Gek player I saw noogies in VR for my first 10 minutes in the Nexus: priceless

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Finally found my third S-class scanner modules. It's insane, I'm getting between 200K-600K for scanning an animal. I'm now roleplaying a marine biologist.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Macaluso posted:

Flying is really bad, I have zero interest in engaging enemy ships because of it. I was hoping it'd have been improved since I last played but nope.

And it's not even the ship fighting that is the biggest problem, I have very little interest in doing that anyway. It's doing simple things like, say, trying to scan the planet in the distance but you have to make sure the cursor is completely inside the planet and god forbid if it slides out of it even a little bit, you'll be waiting for the scanner to cooldown to try again.

Not to mention, that space is so packed full of asteroids that you can barely see stuff in front of you.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Oh my god I can move the starting technology from the cargo tab to the technology tab on both the ship and the suit
goty goat mvp

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Meiteron posted:

If this is YOUR first playthrough, allow me to share the tricks:

I'll never understand the appeal of tricking games into giving you better stuff really early on. The fun part for me is slowly getting better stuff as the game progresses. I don't want it right at the start!

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Black Griffon posted:

Skipped ahead a few pages because reading all the negative experiences bummed me out and I still love the game. Anyone figure out what might be causing stuttering yet? Only thing I've really tried from this thread is turning off vsync in the Nvidia control panel (it was already off).

my stuttering and fps drops troubles got much better after I played around with the NumHighThreads and NumLowThreads settings in the config files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Has anyone built anything clever with wiring/switches or the industrial piping stuff yet?