Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Enai is a lovely chap but takes any and all criticism... quite personally.

I skip those two on most plays because I just end up with *far too many* spells and spending half my game time battling the UI for quick spell shortcuts, between apocalypse, forgotten magic, thunderchild, various powers etc. That's all on me though.

That's something I just can't do in Skyrim. Once hotkeys 1-6 are used up, I'm not using anything else except in dire circumstances. In Morrowind I have a magic item list like 20 abilities long and swap through them commonly but it feels so janky to go through large lists in Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was looking for a small home mod for Oldrim that doesn't require DLC but it seems like it's mostly large residences that probably drop your frame rate into the basement.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

Do you mean in-depth as in you take part in the construction or in-depth as in they have everything you could need to do what you want to do? For the latter, I'm a big fan of Riverwood Keep. If you use it in conjunction with a mod that lets you put followers wherever, you can have them populate the inn and streets of Riverwood while they sleep in the attached tower.

For the former, I've heard nothing but good things about LC_Citadel. Can't say I've used it though.

I kinda was looking for one that would eventually have everything but has an involved deal for building/upgrading so I have a long term project/money sink/resource drain while I dungeon dive.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Heljarchen Farm and Windstad Mine are both pretty good.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

A Sometimes Food posted:

I kinda was looking for one that would eventually have everything but has an involved deal for building/upgrading so I have a long term project/money sink/resource drain while I dungeon dive.

This one's not very long term and can be hammered out quick, but I like it. The Hideaway - A Buildable Cave Home
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10649 There are a couple small bugs, but it's overall pretty good.

I started with this buildable city, Blackthorn, but can't vouch for its long term quality. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2242

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That's something I just can't do in Skyrim. Once hotkeys 1-6 are used up, I'm not using anything else except in dire circumstances. In Morrowind I have a magic item list like 20 abilities long and swap through them commonly but it feels so janky to go through large lists in Skyrim.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Enai is a lovely chap but takes any and all criticism... quite personally.

I skip those two on most plays because I just end up with *far too many* spells and spending half my game time battling the UI for quick spell shortcuts, between apocalypse, forgotten magic, thunderchild, various powers etc. That's all on me though.

My menu solution is CFM personally. It's not actually shortcuts, but it's really simple to extend and customize and a ton faster than going through SkyUI after a little bit of getting used to the layout.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

It’s kind of on-rails in terms of building stuff but Helgen Reborn has a charming little questline to it that makes it feel like you’re helping to rebuild an entire town with a crew of folks. Plus when you’re finished, the whole thing is basically yours to own.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Not to double post intentionally or anything, but just out of random curiosity; is there a mod manager platform out there that isn't utter dogshit? Because so far Nexus Mod Manager, Mod Organizer, and Mod Organizer 2 have all blown up on me and Vortex is just one giant piece of adware for Nexus itself.

NMM was working the best for me out of all of them until I decided to migate all my mods to a new hard drive and now it throws a shitfit when I try to do anything with it and can't remember what organizer categories each archive should automatically be sorted into.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Vortex is just one giant piece of adware for Nexus itself.

Uh, what?

OG NMM is easily the worst out of all of the ones you listed. Vortex is gigantic step up from it if you really value the Nexus integration, and MO2 is sworn by everyone who's been burned by NMM before.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, MO2's been working great for me. I don't know much about Vortex and its alleged adware, but I'd never go back to NMM now.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
What's MO2's problem? I've been using it since SSE came out, and MO before that, and they've been rock solid for Skyrim/SSE.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've been using Vortex the last week or so loaded up with a gang of mods and I haven't had any issues beyond the usual fumbling to make sure things are in the proper order. It feels like a step up from the old NMM.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

timn posted:

Uh, what?

When I say “adware” I meant that is has a really lovely UI that seems more concerned with advertising poo poo on the Nexus than actually being navigable. It’s not actually adware.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
If by advertising you mean a homepage with an article newsfeed that doesn't open by default on launch and you literally never have to look at then sure, ok.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I usually put my helmet on hotkey 8 so in cutscenes I can pop it off and look cool in 3rd person. Shield, too, but that one has more practical reasons too.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Rainbow Knight posted:

i think i read somewhere that he just didn't like how unwieldy the spells were, and since they were both spell mods it kinda ruined the whole thing

Well he's wrong. :colbert:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sky Shadowing posted:

I usually put my helmet on hotkey 8 so in cutscenes I can pop it off and look cool in 3rd person. Shield, too, but that one has more practical reasons too.

I use a mod called helmet toggle to turn off/turn on the helmet model off a hotkey (H).

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I've got to be honest, if all the popular and well-recommended mod managers are individually blowing up in your face, the problem likely isn't on their end

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Vortex is awesome. Mainly because its the only one that works with VR, that I'm aware of. Of all the ones I've used over the years, Vortex has been the easiest

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

nine-gear crow, do you have your Bethesda games installed in a program files folder? It's known to cause serious issues when modding them, could be the source of your problems

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

nine-gear crow, do you have your Bethesda games installed in a program files folder? It's known to cause serious issues when modding them, could be the source of your problems

Both versions of Skyrim I have are installed in the default Steam games installation directory. But anyways, it’s irrelevant now because I got Nexus Mod Manager working* again. It’s a clunky, slow, obtuse piece of garbage but at least it works for me as opposed to Vortex and MO, so I’m gonna stick with it for now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nine-gear crow posted:

Both versions of Skyrim I have are installed in the default Steam games installation directory. But anyways, it’s irrelevant now because I got Nexus Mod Manager working* again. It’s a clunky, slow, obtuse piece of garbage but at least it works for me as opposed to Vortex and MO, so I’m gonna stick with it for now.

Is steam installed in program files? Because I think that's what Steam defaults to.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Never install games in Program Files, no matter what it tells you.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Vortex is awesome. Mainly because its the only one that works with VR, that I'm aware of. Of all the ones I've used over the years, Vortex has been the easiest

MO2 does SkyrimVR, pretty sure it'll do FO4VR, too

I haven't used Vortex in alpha, but I liked it a lot. But MO2 is kinda winning me over because it seems to be both small and useful (for instance with the built-in ini editor). In the end, for normal use, any of these organizers should do.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
FWIW I have only ever kept Skyrim in the default steam folder and steam installed in the default program files folder, and I've never encountered an issue because of it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

timn posted:

FWIW I have only ever kept Skyrim in the default steam folder and steam installed in the default program files folder, and I've never encountered an issue because of it.

Every time the "Don't install steam, Skyrim, or your modding tools to Program Files" is mentioned, some motherfucker has to be like that dog, every loving time it's mentioned, somebody has to come in and be like "Not me I don't do it that way and I'm fine! :smuggo:"

Good for fuckin' you but you're missing the fuckin' point.

The point is not that it will make trouble, the point is that is sometimes does and when it does it's really loving hard to diagnose because it's not always the same problems, and therefore it's a real good idea to follow the general rule to avoid the subtle and myriad ways it could gently caress up your install.

Why, why, why does somebody always have to barge into the thread to breathlessly state they don't have any problems running that way? :smithicide:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Bethesda needs to learn to put a mod folder in My Documents/My Games like everyone else.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Sorry I triggered your posting PTSD, but maybe you should actually take in the context before barging into the thread to breathlessly have a meltdown about it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

timn posted:

Sorry I triggered your posting PTSD, but maybe you should actually take in the context before barging into the thread to breathlessly have a meltdown about it.

Skyrim is Serious Business.

Anyway, it looks like Skyblivion is getting super close to actually maybe one day releasing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cool, I can't wait for it's release so all the quality of life mods can be ported.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

faith in the the three let's me mod directly off of program files

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

faith in the the three let's me mod directly off of program files

Lol to anyone who doesn't install directly to c:\CHIM

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That only works if you're running TalOS.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The ending of the words is MICROSOFT.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The 36 sermons of Wozniak.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
So apparently the Nexus is looking at mod packs. They send out a survey to modders asking for feedback.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeaNnHaZ0QJCKiUPvVLvw4RgmyecmGmOwOOylTubazsiMbT2w/formResponse

quote:

Thank you for partaking in this survey. As it is designed to be very open, it might take you between 20-30 minutes to respond to the questions - depending on the level of detail you would like to provide. Please note the information below before you proceed.
What do we mean by “mod packs”?

Given your various backgrounds as mod authors, we understand the term might have different implications and connotations for you, depending on where you are coming from.

What we are aspiring to create is a “mod pack” system which would essentially allow users to automate the installation process for various mods from a compiled mod list (similar to mod lists like STEP or GEMS), recreating the same exact mod setup - or as close to it as possible - that the creator of that list is running locally on their machine. The goal is to greatly increase convenience for the end-user by doing so, without actually packing a lot of different mods into one download.

In the context of this survey, we will refer to this system as “mod pack” system though, at the moment, we are not set on the name “mod packs” for the system we envision.

A few key points to note:

* We are not set on the name "mod packs" though, in the context of this survey, we will be referring to the system as such.

* Our "mod pack" system will NOT allow users to pack / zip up various mods from other authors into one download.

* A "mod pack" would be closer to e.g. a configuration file that will prompt the download of a number of mods (depending on the mod pack) and automatically install them thereafter.

* It would be akin to various “mod lists” compiled by users (such as STEP, GEMS etc.) complete with instructions regarding the mod setup - only that the process of setting the mods up would be streamlined and automated - where possible.

* The idea is to preserve the exact (or as close to it as possible) mod setup the mod pack author had created locally on their machine including mod (installer) options, file conflict resolution, load order rules etc.

Oh, wait. It's not a modpack. It's just an automated downloader. The idea looks pretty much the same as that moddrop or modpicker thing that modders lost their goddamned minds over a few years ago. I'm not sure what to make of it, but it seems like a step in a good direction? :shrug:
Looking at the reactions when this was first announced earlier this years, the usual suspects were crying about how "modpack" is a dirty word and "oh no, what about my download numbers!". There were also quite a few voices in support of it though.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 17, 2019

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I don't quite get the problem with download numbers in a mod pack. Just add the download of the pack (which contains your mod) to your number, no? If anything, being in a pack should inflate your exposure then.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lord Stimperor posted:

I don't quite get the problem with download numbers in a mod pack. Just add the download of the pack (which contains your mod) to your number, no? If anything, being in a pack should inflate your exposure then.

lol you can't logic your way out of ~modder's rights~ get real

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

The community screams at anything that could make things easier for the average user so lol at the idea of this going through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I would presume it's the same thing that compels people to collect karma from Reddit. Each upvote and each download is like an individual validation and every day that number goes up is further validation. If that number were to stop going up, especially unexpectedly, bad things gonna happen.