Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

How loving predictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
The true surprise from today is that someone actually is paying Ali Williams for his opinion as a pundit.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wrap it up, Ausfailures.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Holding onto that No1 spot a little longer.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work

Vaders Jester posted:

The true surprise from today is that someone actually is paying Ali Williams for his opinion as a pundit.

Hell, if Phil Kearns makes a living from it anyone can have a go.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

On a packed train coming into Cardiff for the match - have left my bloody top behind so now I look like an Englishman.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
I enjoyed pedo-stache getting tossed from the ruck like a rag-doll

Worth it for the card

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Liam Williams pulled out during the warm up. Halfpenny in in his place.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Joe Cokanasiga is a big, fast man. Shame he can't do anything else.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

That was awful.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

ok so wales are actually world no 1 now?

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Couldn't catch the game, how did England look?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

HappyCamperGL posted:

ok so wales are actually world no 1 now?

The BBC have said they are so that confirms it.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Raffles posted:

Couldn't catch the game, how did England look?

Less interested than last week. Good defense generally but both sides were sloppy going forward.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Good old Scotland, giving France hope by letting them score a try in the first 90 seconds

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Scotland are being significantly more Scotland than usual.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
The pitch is slightly scaring me - looks ripe for a knee-ruining injury

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
It's crazy how many of the 1st-tier nations look "scary as gently caress" to play against, right now.

This is going to be a super exciting World Cup for me.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Shocker from Scotland, you lads haven't been defending well recently.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Bobbins from Scotland. The midfield defense was shocking, let the French offload at will instead of closing down the passing channels, no support during the half dozen linebreaks, no contesting the breakdown from the usually disruptive Barclay and Ritchie. Seriously missing a solid defensive centre like Dunbar.

Small silver lining is that Hutchison looked good when he came on. Another upside is that is was mostly 2nd string guys playing, probably missing about 8 starters from the team and at least Scotland know what combinations don't work and that Huw Jones is a liability in defense. At least there were no injuries.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

This is all just part of the ongoing practical joke the world is playing on Guirado, letting him believe he has a chance of being in a good French side.

Scotland had a lack of structure and France had great individuals. The better your structure the less the impact those individuals can have, which is usually where France go wrong.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

Vaders Jester posted:

Bobbins from Scotland. The midfield defense was shocking, let the French offload at will instead of closing down the passing channels, no support during the half dozen linebreaks, no contesting the breakdown from the usually disruptive Barclay and Ritchie. Seriously missing a solid defensive centre like Dunbar.

Small silver lining is that Hutchison looked good when he came on. Another upside is that is was mostly 2nd string guys playing, probably missing about 8 starters from the team and at least Scotland know what combinations don't work and that Huw Jones is a liability in defense. At least there were no injuries.

I've been a big Huw Jones stan but tonight convinced me he's borderline unplayable unless you have 60% possession so he gets enough attacking touches to make up for the inevitable defensive mistakes. Strauss is similar. I hope that's his last game for Scotland.

I thought France looked really good. The new backrow all had great games, and Dupont is fantastic.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Strauss was the great experiment that failed spectacularly - he's useless and his attitude by and large stinks (he make it abundantly clear he was only in Glasgow Warriors until he could be confirmed an international, then he hosed off straight away). His train wreck approach doesn't really work anymore because most defences are pretty comfortable with it, especially as he doesn't have a tendency to offload and usually fouls when he's on the ground.

Huw Jones just seems to be going backwards defensive wise, but I think it can be rectified still.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Communist Bear posted:

Strauss was the great experiment that failed spectacularly - he's useless and his attitude by and large stinks (he make it abundantly clear he was only in Glasgow Warriors until he could be confirmed an international, then he hosed off straight away). His train wreck approach doesn't really work anymore because most defences are pretty comfortable with it, especially as he doesn't have a tendency to offload and usually fouls when he's on the ground.

Huw Jones just seems to be going backwards defensive wise, but I think it can be rectified still.

It's a real shame because at one point, Strauss was an excellent loose forward and a potential Springbok-in-waiting.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

It's a real shame because at one point, Strauss was an excellent loose forward and a potential Springbok-in-waiting.

He was an absolute machine for Glasgow, made CJ Stander look utterly pedestrian in the Pro12 final but sadly since going to England he's regressed badly and now goes missing in big games. It's a huge pity because he was up there with Warren Whitely for destructive 8s for a long time.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

Vaders Jester posted:

He was an absolute machine for Glasgow, made CJ Stander look utterly pedestrian in the Pro12 final but sadly since going to England he's regressed badly and now goes missing in big games. It's a huge pity because he was up there with Warren Whitely for destructive 8s for a long time.

Hasn't he had a fair bit of injury trouble since then? Those talismanic kind of 8s always seem to end up like that. Carrying the ball into double tackles 10+ times a game isn't good for you.

Painkiller fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 18, 2019

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah, I think so. Certainly picked up a really bad kidney bruise against France a few years ago and the Prem is a lot more attritional with less player welfare so big ball carriers don't last long without serious injuries.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What is up with Scotland's defence, it's a shambles?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Unstructured "chaos" in attack shits up any defensive structure. I really, really hope Scotland sort this out before the RWC or Russia will be walking in tries never mind Ireland or Japan.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

That and it's the start of the 3 year amnesia cycle that Scottish rugby seem to suffer from, in which they forget how to play the game, but love to talk themselves up as champions of the world at it.

That and, to be honest, I'm not convinced about Townsend. He inherited solid teams on two occasions - for Glasgow alot of the foundation work was already set down by Sean Lineen, and for Scotland alot of it was done by Vern Cotter. It's starting to unravel on him because he doesn't really know what he's doing coaching wise. For Glasgow it's well known that his initial approach was useless, so he eventually gave up and let Glasgow be Glasgow. This only worked though because Glasgow had the captaincy of Kellock and sharp fast players in Matawalu, Nakawara, Van der Merwe and others. He came in at the right moment, and similarly left at the right moment also. For Scotland the work had been done by Vern, who had ironed out alot of the mistakes and had put the fear of God in them. so that when things got tough they'd come out different in the second half. Since he left Scotland has been on the decline, again because I'm not convinced Townsend really knows what he's doing.

It's typical SRU playbook though - nepotism rather than actually bringing in the right people and coaches to fix the situation. That we somehow still eke out 6-8th in rankings satisfies them. I wouldn't be surprised if we flunk hard in the World Cup.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

bessantj posted:

What is up with Scotland's defence, it's a shambles?

They have massive problems in the 13 channel. It’s not just Huw Jones, because Grigg was even worse against England. I think the wings aren’t helping out in that regard, they aren’t closing down with the rush defense as much as other teams are.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Communist Bear posted:

That and it's the start of the 3 year amnesia cycle that Scottish rugby seem to suffer from, in which they forget how to play the game, but love to talk themselves up as champions of the world at it.

That and, to be honest, I'm not convinced about Townsend. He inherited solid teams on two occasions - for Glasgow alot of the foundation work was already set down by Sean Lineen, and for Scotland alot of it was done by Vern Cotter. It's starting to unravel on him because he doesn't really know what he's doing coaching wise. For Glasgow it's well known that his initial approach was useless, so he eventually gave up and let Glasgow be Glasgow. This only worked though because Glasgow had the captaincy of Kellock and sharp fast players in Matawalu, Nakawara, Van der Merwe and others. He came in at the right moment, and similarly left at the right moment also. For Scotland the work had been done by Vern, who had ironed out alot of the mistakes and had put the fear of God in them. so that when things got tough they'd come out different in the second half. Since he left Scotland has been on the decline, again because I'm not convinced Townsend really knows what he's doing.

It's typical SRU playbook though - nepotism rather than actually bringing in the right people and coaches to fix the situation. That we somehow still eke out 6-8th in rankings satisfies them. I wouldn't be surprised if we flunk hard in the World Cup.

Never really got this. Vern was dogshit in his first 6N, lost every game and presided over one of the worst losses at Twickenham in recent memory. Cotter is a great coach and helped a lot with Scotland but there's a lot of rose-tineted glasses around his tenure too.

Gregor's not perfect but to say he's just living off other coaches scraps seems pretty disingenuous given the development of players like Nakarawa, Matawalu, Jonny Gray, Finn Russell, Seymour etc under his tenure at Glasgow and winning the Pro12 in 2015 was 3 years after Lineen had left. If he didn't know what he was doing, Glasgow sure as hell wouldn't have maintained that form. Glasgow under him hold the record for most consecutive playoff appearances of any team in the Pro12 as well so I'm not sure why anyone would think his approach was useless either.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 19, 2019

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The look on AWJ’s face is priceless

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Ken has absolutely farted and AWJ is having none of it.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Your Scotland side to humiliate themselves once more.

On the upside, this piece of poo poo got a 6 week ban for this.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1163169761917919237

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Finally! A Shirt that we can wear to both the Rugby match AND to the Fetish Club afterwards!

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Can anyone else smell toast?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

TLDR : If Scotland win the World Cup, George Foreman will kill himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Tyma posted:

TLDR : If Scotland win the World Cup, George Foreman will kill himself?

Common misconception, The Big Man is actually Allan Jacobsen.