Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I tried going through a few pages of this thread but I can't be arsed to go through all of them.

I'm actually asking on behalf of my dad cause he's been wanting a more advanced version of Rise of Nations for some time. It's the only game he plays. Is there a spiritual successor to that game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

What's a good brainfuck or deep space game? Preferably sci-fi/rpg or something in that vein, but I'll take a sim or.. really anything.
Basically I'm reading a Peter Watts book and I want a game like it

Something along the Prey/System-Shock to Arcanum/Planescape spectrum

corollary:
Is Torment the sort of game I am looking for?

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 16, 2019

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

What's a good brainfuck or deep space game? Preferably sci-fi/rpg or something in that vein, but I'll take a sim or.. really anything.

corollary:

SOMA, Nier Automata, Outer Wilds, The Swapper

Children of a Dead Earth again, kinda? Scavenger SV-4?

Torment is really more like gods&magic kind of story, just in a vaguely technological dressup. It's good though.

e: Haven't tried it myself, but ECHO looks kinda interesting. The upcoming Control also might be worth a look.

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 16, 2019

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Oh, and if you manage to get through lovely 90's UI and impenetrable mechanics - Iron Seed

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

corollary:

Sunless Skies? Not quite as dark as what you're describing but good on the writing/story/thoughts/implications.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Outer Wilds is so god drat good. Look up as little as possible if you think you’re gonna buy it. That game gave me some of the best “oh my god wait then that means OH poo poo” moments.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

corollary:
I assume you've played EYE?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Thank you all for the suggestions - SOMA, EYE, and Outer Wilds all seem to hit the mood I was after. Scavenger SV-4 also made the wishlist.

(and Nier was a perfect suggestion but I've beaten it - what has Yoko Taro been working on it feels like that came out forever ago)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
P. sure he wrote (or is writing) like a side-activity raid quest storyline for Final Fantasy XIV.

edit: and, i guess, is/was sorta busy actually playing FFXIV during that, here's some translations of his tweets journaling the experience: https://twinfinite.net/2019/03/yoko-taro-final-fantasy-xiv-nier-automata/

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

Oh, and if you manage to get through lovely 90's UI and impenetrable mechanics - Iron Seed
Sell me on it. I really wanted to play it but I've bounced off it a few times.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Sell me on it. I really wanted to play it but I've bounced off it a few times.

I mean, I never got very far in it either. I'm very into its brand of space mood, it's kinda like a weirder, darker and more alien Star Control, but gently caress me if I know what to even do to progress. There's a lot of gathering materials, a lot of crafting, and a lot of fiddly busywork keeping your artificial brains from going insane.

Apparently they're remaking it in Unity.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

I mean, I never got very far in it either. I'm very into its brand of space mood, it's kinda like a weirder, darker and more alien Star Control, but gently caress me if I know what to even do to progress. There's a lot of gathering materials, a lot of crafting, and a lot of fiddly busywork keeping your artificial brains from going insane.
And apparently it was patched by the original devs as recently as 2013! :aaaaa:

I'll give it another poo poo then. BTW, how does Perihelion mesh with your taste for weird SF?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I'm looking for a good open world game to just gently caress around in, preferably on PC. Bonus points for cheat/mod support.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
minecraft

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Pierzak posted:

I'll give it another poo poo then.
...and now I'm wondering what the gently caress was I on when I mixed up "give a try" and "not give a poo poo". :psyduck:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Jade Rider posted:

I'm looking for a good open world game to just gently caress around in, preferably on PC. Bonus points for cheat/mod support.

Just Cause is pretty much made for loving around in with mods, not sure which ones are best, but as far as I'm aware they're all moddable and 2 was the one that was most well known for the mod community I think (or might have been the first one, and those mods inspired a lot of the gameplay in 2)

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 23, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jade Rider posted:

Watch_Dogs 2?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jade Rider posted:

Terraria. Visit the thread for mod recommendations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Jade Rider posted:

Zelda Breath of the Wild on Cemu emulator. Limited 'graphics' mods but it's the best exploration open world game I know of.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ambaire posted:

Zelda Breath of the Wild on Cemu emulator. Limited 'graphics' mods but it's the best exploration open world game I know of.

I've recently done this, and it is indeed amazing. Wii U emulation is pretty much uniformly excellent right now.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
So I've been loving with Graveyard Keeper and I was wondering, are there any games where you use undead to mass facilitate production and building? I've already tried the RimWorld necromancer mod and that worked decently well, but I'm just wondering if there are any other options I've missed. Really, any game where the primary concept is "order your minions to do poo poo for you" would be nice, aside from something like Overlord - I want them to be zombies or skeletons or something, not yapping idiots.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

corollary:

Yo, so Control is out now, and it's pretty much SCP: the Game. Recommend. Mechanically it's a shootmans with powers.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Can confirm, Control is quite good, also the third document I picked up was about 85% redactions, so they know what narrative well they're plumbing, and aware leaning into it hard.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Galick posted:

So I've been loving with Graveyard Keeper and I was wondering, are there any games where you use undead to mass facilitate production and building? I've already tried the RimWorld necromancer mod and that worked decently well, but I'm just wondering if there are any other options I've missed. Really, any game where the primary concept is "order your minions to do poo poo for you" would be nice, aside from something like Overlord - I want them to be zombies or skeletons or something, not yapping idiots.

I can only think of Dungeon Keeper which you're probably already aware of and is more about evil wizards and goblins than undead skellies. I can't really think of any.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Galick posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/790850/Undead_Horde/

I'm recommending this game based on skeletons and 10tons making real good other games, I have no idea how this one holds up or how it works out whatever.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
What other resource management survival games are there out there along the lines of Frostpunk? I like the mechanic of never having enough resources to do what you want, having to manage morale, having to make tough tradeoffs, while also having an interesting story. Anything I should look into? Preferably without THAT much micromanagement and insanely deep mechanics that will require weeks to grok.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

You ever tried This War of Mine? It's from the same folk, I believe.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Banished is the only big one I know of. Kingdom might hit your fancy as a super-stripped down version of the concept, although there's only one resource in that.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a co-op shooter game where one character is kinda chatty, and the other is this established badass (think Samus, Doomguy) that never talks, only communicating through body-language?

Doesn't have to be good, just wanna see if it exists and if so how they try to handle the dynamics.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I feel like I remember FEAR 3 having that kind of dynamic between point man and Paxton Fettel? Although I think point man does talk a little, it does have the "chatty sociopath vs taciturn badass" vibe.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Alright, thanks! I'd have preferred not sociopathic, but I'll go hunt down some videos.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Alright, thanks! I'd have preferred not sociopathic, but I'll go hunt down some videos.

Now that you've got me thinking about it, that's actually a surprisingly underutilized dynamic in general. Jack and Daxter is probably the best example of it I can think of in gaming, but that's single player. The only other co-op game I can think of was Army of Ywo, and both playable characters were fairly chatty in that, they just did the buddy cop "one's a young wiseguy, the other's an old veteran" odd couple thing with that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Is there a co-op shooter game where one character is kinda chatty, and the other is this established badass (think Samus, Doomguy) that never talks, only communicating through body-language?

Doesn't have to be good, just wanna see if it exists and if so how they try to handle the dynamics.

Resi 6, Ada and Agent.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

So I'm giving up on the skeleton game and looking for something entirely in the opposite direction:

What are the best non-Crimzon Clover bullet hell games released recently? I'm itching for one, and I'd prefer if they're on Steam if possible.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If you can handle underdressed anime girls (or download the mod to turn the portrait art off, because the actual spritework is perfectly fine), then Rabi-Ribi is quite solid. It's more or less bullet hell crossed with Metroidvania, with (naturally) an emphasis on boss fights, and a wide range of potential difficulties.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Galick posted:

So I'm giving up on the skeleton game and looking for something entirely in the opposite direction:

What are the best non-Crimzon Clover bullet hell games released recently? I'm itching for one, and I'd prefer if they're on Steam if possible.

Does Nova Drift count?

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe
Is there anything out there like 'The Last Stand' game mode from Dawn of War 2? (RTS colosseum style map fighting off endless waves of enemies, with character selection, MOBA-like character abilities and co-op)

This is very specific and i'm hoping someone has already made this so that i dont try to...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Galick posted:

HELLSINKER

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you can handle underdressed anime girls (or download the mod to turn the portrait art off, because the actual spritework is perfectly fine), then Rabi-Ribi is quite solid. It's more or less bullet hell crossed with Metroidvania, with (naturally) an emphasis on boss fights, and a wide range of potential difficulties.

Picking up both of these, thank you!

Hwurmp posted:

Does Nova Drift count?

Nova Drift sure as gently caress counts when it comes out of early access holy poo poo. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

seconding nova drift, it's really fun even in its very incomplete state right now.