Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Synastren posted:

GSL vs the world is in about 26 hours, and if you're not excited for the brackets I have no idea what to tell you!!!

Oh no, did they do the thing again where it's not actually GSL vs the world but instead it's GSL + foreigners vs other GSL + foreigners? Like why is Maru playing Stats? Why is Neeb playing Showtime? When they do this they make it just another tournament except with Koreans pre-seeded seeds and a social media based qualifying for foreigners. I can't help but feel like I want to see an actual Korea VS the world.

e: I don't mean to imply these will be bad games, they're going to be world class games and a fantastic tourny but it would be even cooler if there could be more national pride involved with it by the means of an all-Korea vs all non-Korean setup.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It’s a crime that Koreans are matched up in the first round of a tournament when foreigners are available for a nice warm up.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Winners league format (proleague format but winners stays on) would be cool. Any other format where both maru and stats are in the brackets has a very high chance of yielding maru vs stats sooner or later.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It’s dumb as hell that the premier match, stats v Maru, occurs in the first round.

It’s like the organizers realized that there’s a 99% chance one of the two would win if they were in separate brackets, so they were matched up early to give other players a shot.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I’m mad as heck but I’m also extremely horney for GSL quality games again!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

VelociBacon posted:

Oh no, did they do the thing again where it's not actually GSL vs the world but instead it's GSL + foreigners vs other GSL + foreigners? Like why is Maru playing Stats? Why is Neeb playing Showtime? When they do this they make it just another tournament except with Koreans pre-seeded seeds and a social media based qualifying for foreigners. I can't help but feel like I want to see an actual Korea VS the world.

e: I don't mean to imply these will be bad games, they're going to be world class games and a fantastic tourny but it would be even cooler if there could be more national pride involved with it by the means of an all-Korea vs all non-Korean setup.

You recognize that this guarantees that we'll have GSL vs World in at least the first two rounds. Besides, the two weakest games in the entire first round are HeroMarine vs Trap (:rip: gabe), Fantasy vs Classic (though Fantasy has shown some super clever builds) and Time vs soO (can't wait for half of this thread to flip their poo poo when Time wins 3-1).

Dark vs Elazer will likely be really volatile, but there's a clear favorite. Neeb vs Showtime will be extraordinarily good for a pvp, given that Showtime beat Stats 2-0 at ASUS, and that Neeb on form is a goddamn monster (and let's not forget that Neeb won his supertournament victory on the back of pvp). Special vs Reynor will be super spicy, as both players are in extremely good form at the moment.

And if I need to explain why Serral vs TY will be fantastic, I question your fandom. :colbert:

Hot take: Maru vs Stats will be a boring series. Maru may proxy one or two games. Stats might play non-standard for one game. When he isn't doing a proxy, Maru will go for tank timing pushes. He might play mech in one map, but I kind of doubt it.

ed:
The last day of the tournament will have the Finals as well as a GSL vs the World proleague style series.

Synastren fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 15, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Heromarine has honestly been playing pretty lights out lately to the extent that he actually has a chance. Unfortunately for him, Trap has been punching way above his weight class lately, too.

Imo the brackets actually look pretty good for giving us some really good games. Maru vs Stats should be really good, Serral vs TY is like the two great minds of sc2 meeting up, Special vs Reynor should be a loving barn burner especially with how good tvz is right now and both of them being gods of multiprong harass. If you like tvz at all, this tourney is going to loving own in the first round. Who will advance is probably more up in the air this year than any year previously. Every match looks winnable for either player, which is really rare. I'm also oddly excited to see how Soo and Time's game goes: soo has been in pretty decent form lately and Time has been getting better and better and while tvz used to be his weakest matchup, he apparently grinded out a fuckton of practice games with scarlett to the point where he's shown some really respectable tvz lately.

My only prediction is that special and reynor will have a game with over 150 worker kills

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 15, 2019

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
40 minutes until its ready

give me that goodness

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
lmao elazer, 'at least i didn't draw a korean terran or a protoss player'

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
ugh Elazer in game 2 was just so indecisive; I really wished he'd just gone Nydus and used his roach advantage to finish Dark off

edit: yes, Elazer takes it! fantastic series.

Furious Lobster fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 15, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
All in all that was the best series of games I think I've ever seen in a tournament

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

My thoughts on watching the first night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSTN3mHEAOA

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Serral vs TY is some galactic brain poo poo.

:munch:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

VelociBacon posted:

This can get outcomes where all the foreigners are knocked out in the first round and it becomes a Korean-only tourney. Although this would definitely have happened for large periods of SC2's life, I doubt it would've happened now, but I suppose that might be the motive.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

My only prediction is that special and reynor will have a game with over 150 worker kills

Update: Almost positive that they surpassed this in the first game

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Is the observer PC playing on relatively low settings or something? The models look weird (and I don't mean the custom skins). Low res.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Neurosis posted:

Is the observer PC playing on relatively low settings or something? The models look weird (and I don't mean the custom skins). Low res.

Poor bitrate probably relative to what you're used to seeing in game?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Non-koreans are OP.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

This GSL vs The World is the most fun and exciting tournament to watch in a long time. Incredible matches. Players really up for it, a lot of them super prepared.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It just keeps getting better too holy poo poo

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Yeah, with a bracket containing Maru, Stats and Dark this makes sense? These games have been amazing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
korean starcraft apparently got decadent and fat and slow and foreigner sc2 is here to remind them what real savage play look like

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
last nights GSL vs the world is still going and it's serral and classic in the first game of a best of 5 and yall should turn this on

https://twitch.tv/gsl

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
holy poo poo those infestor moves from serral are insane

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Well, now it's GSL vs. the World? :confuoot:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It’s a crime that Koreans are matched up in the first round of a tournament when foreigners are available for a nice warm up.

hehe

This was the highlight from the entire nine hours of starcraft last night. The best meme of the week imo.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I love games that feature multiple successive throws from both players leading to extreme suspense over who will commit the last throw and lose the game. I'm talking of course about That Game in Neeb/Elazer.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I like the team thing before the finals. I would like them to do something similar for the normal GSL events (or maybe a match for third place) to mitigate the risk of getting a complete dud of a finals.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Lol Rotterdam read that game really badly

Edit: Lol at Classic (I think) holding up a sign after the loss: 'soO has lost again!'

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 18, 2019

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I miss archon toilets.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
serral is pretty fuckin good

i wasn't completely sold on him before, but this year he has just been untouchable

maru v stats in the first round was unfortunate

but overall, phenomenal tournament

Pengwin
Apr 3, 2007

MIND MIND MIND

Anyone here live in Northern California? I can think of a couple old zeezers that may not be active anymore.

A friend and I are putting together a cash-prize SC2 LAN in Davis for Saturday, August 31. Should be a lot of fun, virtually all the highest level players in the area are coming out. And speaking from experience, LANs are always fun even if you have 0 chance of winning.

Details here: https://tl.net/forum/sc2-tournaments/550610-norcal-starcraft-open

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

bamhand posted:

I miss archon toilets.

I get why they removed them - it made mega-lategame an irritating standoff as you try to land a vortex... They were, of course, the only way to deal with a lot of zerg late game comps pre-tempests... But yeah sometimes they were immensely cool turnarounds - I'm thinking of the Squirtle-MVP finals (still one of the best series IMO) where Squirtle baareeelly held on long enough to get one and win a game he'd been in dire straits in for a long time.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
When the poo poo is Ro16 group A? WCS shows group B tomorrow at 8pm (PST) and Liquipedia is not in agreement with WCS on dates. Is there going to randomly be GSL tonight?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

When the poo poo is Ro16 group A? WCS shows group B tomorrow at 8pm (PST) and Liquipedia is not in agreement with WCS on dates. Is there going to randomly be GSL tonight?

my youtube recommendations have it listed as 3:20am on the 28th. i live in mountain time if you need to adjust, but i assume "the 28th" is what you're looking for

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
I find the wcs schedule incompressible

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Dates and times should be fixed re: GSL as of earlier this week :blush:

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 1, 2019

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Lol at the 15k/10k Solar bank.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Hm, I wonder who will be at WCS Montreal https://dreamhack.com/article/wcs-mtl-players/

:pusheen:
:perfect:

you nerds better be watching for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ill be at dreamhack. Anything i should miss?

Think ive settled on a "Drugs + Gun = Faster(?)" sign, too.