Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

protip: bluescreen rounds on a shredder character are fuckin lethal to all robutts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
hmm, kind of tempted to try a 'tech support' campaign of nothing but supports specced for hacking and drone offence + bluescreen round sparks

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

khy posted:

I gave my sniper blue screen rounds and suddenly codexes can easily be 1-shot and are cake. Also I had NO IDEA they decrease hack difficulty on Sectopods, which is a super nice bonus.

Blue screen rounds also boost the pistol. Fan Fire with blue screen rounds is one of the rudest things you can do to a robotic enemy.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

protip: bluescreen rounds on a shredder character are fuckin lethal to all robutts

A grenadier with Chain Shot, Shredder, and Bluescreen rounds is the bane of all sectopods. You won't kill them in one shot, but you'll put them in killable range for the next guy, pretty much every time.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I want to do a Warhammer 40K run, (I know there's Mechanicus, but that was defitnitely less fun and engrossing then Xcom game play was)

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Does anyone ever use AP or Tracer rounds? Can’t say I’ve ever seen the point of them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
AP rounds are good, they're bonus damage against the enemies you actually want bonus damage against. Yeah they kinda get obsoleted by bluescreen, but you're happy to use them before then.

Tracer rounds are for when you want to stack aim buffs to quickly get a soldier that can shoot enemies through cover.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

SirFozzie posted:

I want to do a Warhammer 40K run, (I know there's Mechanicus, but that was defitnitely less fun and engrossing then Xcom game play was)

Well there's a pretty significant amount of Mods to turn your game into a 40K inspired one, at least. Voicepacks for orks/Space Marines/Sisters/guardsman abound, there's a couple of cosmetic mods for Guardsman armours, At least one mod that changes gremlins into servitor skulls, and a couple of weapon mods for Autoguns etc.

The big mods are obviously Armours of the Imperium and Black Legion, which introduce Space Marines both as a Sitrep Enemy and as an Armour you can equip. I would suggest the Standalone versions of the weapons though, not the pack that gives you all of them, because while the pack has chainswords and storm bolters etc. they're all ripped from I think Regicide and sound piddly. The standalones have better sound assets.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
As mentioned, due to the abundance of armour on robotic enemies and not much else, AP and bluescreen have a lot of overlap that usually favors the bluescreen. One very niche and rather fun use is stacking AP with shredder for when you're hedging your bets on robotic v shieldbearer targets.

The damage feedback UI heavily implies that damage is 'spent' in order to achieve armour shredding, which is misleading. You can actually bypass all armour with AP, deal full damage to hp, then retroactively shred armour for future shots. In the damage feedback it looks like you're getting +3 damage out of thin air. Now, vs bluescreen's raw +5 it's a total wash, but again you can hedge your bets for the very few armoured nonrobotic foes.

The actual real strength of the non-favorite experimental munitions (ammo, grenades, heavy weapons) isn't that they're optimal for most circumstances (most are quite niche), it's that you've already bought them and you'd be a fool to keep funneling supplies into hypothetically optimal 6-man setups instead just using what you have and spending supplies on advancing tech. This is especially true with all the DLC enabled, there's a lot opportunity cost with all the new optional toys.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Burrowed chrysallids aren’t supposed to be able to pop up on the alien turn, beeline for your concealed ranger halfway across the map, get stunned by his bladestorm attack, and *still* hit him, right?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

DoctorTristan posted:

Burrowed chrysallids aren’t supposed to be able to pop up on the alien turn, beeline for your concealed ranger halfway across the map, get stunned by his bladestorm attack, and *still* hit him, right?

:xcom: as gently caress

Though no, I wouldn't expect the attack to go through after getting stunned, much less even knowing where your concealed ranger was.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I had a burrowed chryssalid find my reaper somehow even though she watched him burrow on the previous turn

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

burrowed chrysalids are the only enemy in the game i think are complete bullshit

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Anyone else played with the Prison Break mission mod? I've done a few of them on my most recent campaign and holy gently caress, they are brutal.

It's basically a normal hostage rescue resistance op, except you get a full squad, you can't stop the alarm going off when you hack the cell doors, and you have to survive 5 turns at full alert while Firebrand circles back around to extract you. On the other hand, you can get up to 6 scientists, engineers, or soldiers that all match the rank of your highest-ranked dude, so they can fill out your ranks quickly if you're understaffed.

Pretty fun, but you definitely want mag weapons/Predator gear at the least before you start it. Would not recommend bringing a Ranger or Templar, instead you probably want to hold up in the cell block and kill the aliens as they come rather than running around and activating more pods. Also wouldn't recommend Ironman, the extract zone sometimes glitches out and changes locations literally in the middle of a soldier's turn for some reason.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 18, 2019

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Just finished Long War 1 tonight. Let me just say that the "surprise" they added when you go to assault the temple ship is both terrifying and amazing. Finished it July 20th. I would've liked to finish it on the 4th of July but I tore down all my labs before researching the final two techs which added up quite a bit.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I don’t remember a drat thing about LW1. What was the surprise

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Bogart posted:

I don’t remember a drat thing about LW1. What was the surprise

When you go to enter the Gollop Chamber to assault the Temple Ship, you can't skip time anymore, but there was an "exploit" used by someone that basically allowed him to keep building items without fear of retaliation by flying back and forth. Anyway, now when you enter the Gollop Chamber and prepare to attack the Temple Ship...

The game spawns an infinite amount of Battleships with the intent to infiltrate (and thus force countries to leave the Council).

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Oh, so some stupid LW bullshit. Thanks for the answer, though!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bogart posted:

Oh, so some stupid LW bullshit. Thanks for the answer, though!

i mean, that seems pretty reasonable to me? you're not supposed to have infinite safe time by exploiting the travel time of approaching the temple ship...

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
yeah that seems like a pretty harmless bit of flavor that also happens to counter Beagle's dumb rear end play for time (because who else would do that)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I only mean that the inclusion in the first place is clearly an oversight and it seems like much more trouble to put in 'everyone lands ships to blow up the world' than 'you can't fly after going for the temple'. :v:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bogart posted:

I only mean that the inclusion in the first place is clearly an oversight and it seems like much more trouble to put in 'everyone lands ships to blow up the world' than 'you can't fly after going for the temple'. :v:

If you were programming the game yourself then sure, it would be.

But when you're modding a game, you're often stuck doing the best you can with the bits that are easy to mod, because changing stuff outside of that is way too difficult.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So did long war do something to make that useful? Like what does that bug/time even get you? A dude out of sick bay if you trigger it before you're ready?

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

So did long war do something to make that useful? Like what does that bug/time even get you? A dude out of sick bay if you trigger it before you're ready?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOGN2G3apYw
tldr: dude got owned by a base assault a week before his gear was ready for the Temple Ship, hit the Gollop Chamber after losing some of his best troops in a fit of rage, and cheesed a little bit. I just ignored a few terror missions to get to mine, personally.

Speaking of which, since I got to finish a campaign finally, I might as well story-time a little bit. The story of the little blue-shirt that could.

During my first Base Defense mission, there was this security guard, fresh-faced doesn't even begin to describe it; Mr. Vogel. After joining the project proper, the veterans nicknamed him Klaus, as a man who claws his way to victory. As the commander of XCOM, brash as I am, I deemed it appropriate for all blueshirts to be used to buy time for the veterans to mop up the invaders. They didn't have the aim, the weapons, or the armor to do much else. This guy though, he didn't just refuse to die. He refused to be oppressed, period. A Berserker took one look at him and decided he was next, and he would've been, if an Assault hadn't saved him from certain death with a little close combat work. The woman who saved him used up her last shot to do so, leaving her exposed to the next Berserker, who took her cover out with a bullrush, flapping in the wind for a Muton to finish the job.

In her honor, he would eventually become a shotgunner too, and take up the same exact weapon as that brave soul. But before he could do that, he had to survive a wild range flank on the last enemy in the base defense, the Sectoid Commander. And not only did he survive it, he managed to resist the Commander's mind control (on a 82% chance to succeed, that's something). Though Klaus never got to weaponize the Psionics as well as the others, he still managed to grab some powers to protect the others, Distortion Field and Neural Feedback. He was also the first, and only, gene-modded soldier. Thus we saw fit to give him the code name GRAND BLUE. He would fight tooth and nail with the veterans time and time again, until his kills ranked around six dozens. And with a stroke of luck and overwhelming skill, Klaus Vogel would lead the charge, and eventually serve to deal the decisive blow against the alien leader.

:spergin:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

The completely organic storytelling of your soldiers is really what makes these games great. The gameplay is solid as poo poo and super annoying at times but you really start to care about them and what they’ve done. I personally get disappointed in the A team when they blow 96% shots and cheer for the scrubs that get brought along for experience for pulling that same colonels rear end out of the fire. And that’s not something inherent to the game on any level it just kind of grows if you want it to.

It’s pretty amazing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Bogart posted:

there's also the point that the temple ship is a victory lap even in LW so the gesture is largely meaningless. the volunteer - regardless of their class - can solo the mission with a bit of patience so any backup is gravy.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Coolguye posted:

there's also the point that the temple ship is a victory lap even in LW so the gesture is largely meaningless. the volunteer - regardless of their class - can solo the mission with a bit of patience so any backup is gravy.

I dunno, it's certainly easy with 12 troops (if you brought a lot of front-liners; I forgot what a loving hellscape the Sectoid and Muton rooms were for LoS) but I'd have to see someone solo it within 60 minutes before I could believe it.

Somehow the Sectopod fight is the easiest one since they give you like 10 firing ports (and for everything else, there's Rift/MECs/flight).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

Anyone else played with the Prison Break mission mod? I've done a few of them on my most recent campaign and holy gently caress, they are brutal.

It's basically a normal hostage rescue resistance op, except you get a full squad, you can't stop the alarm going off when you hack the cell doors, and you have to survive 5 turns at full alert while Firebrand circles back around to extract you. On the other hand, you can get up to 6 scientists, engineers, or soldiers that all match the rank of your highest-ranked dude, so they can fill out your ranks quickly if you're understaffed.

Pretty fun, but you definitely want mag weapons/Predator gear at the least before you start it. Would not recommend bringing a Ranger or Templar, instead you probably want to hold up in the cell block and kill the aliens as they come rather than running around and activating more pods. Also wouldn't recommend Ironman, the extract zone sometimes glitches out and changes locations literally in the middle of a soldier's turn for some reason.

That looks entertaining as hell, but from reading the comments there seem to be a lot of bugs with the evac spawn. I'll try it when my current campaign wraps up, but I would edit it to make it a normal evac spawn, not the 5 turn wait.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Hey when somebody gets enough experience to achieve a promotion during a mission, does any further experience stack up behind that or is it frozen until they get promoted?

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Honky Dong Country posted:

Hey when somebody gets enough experience to achieve a promotion during a mission, does any further experience stack up behind that or is it frozen until they get promoted?

There's a slowdown and maybe an eventual freeze to stop you getting more than one level at a time. You can remove this with the right mod. I believe you still gain some xp though.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If my one dude murders 70 Lost and 15 aliens during a mission, I’m not going to argue with him about his promotions :colbert:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Torchlighter posted:

There's a slowdown and maybe an eventual freeze to stop you getting more than one level at a time. You can remove this with the right mod. I believe you still gain some xp though.

Thanks. I was curious because I realized that with the Between the Eyes thing and a sharpshooter's pistol never needing to be reloaded you could stack up a shitload of the Lost risk-free.

^^^ lol

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I'm pretty sure exp keeps rolling because I remember farming lost kills in the wotc tutorial and then watching those guys get a promotion every mission for a good while.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I thought Lost gave either no XP, or an extremely small amount?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

So I finally got round to killing the third chosen and... it was a bit underwhelming? I was expecting there would be a cutscene, or at least that the three resistance leaders would hop on a conf call to tell me how awesome I am.

Also the game decided to just gift the aliens two avatar project pips for no apparent reason (a dark event I blocked last months went and triggered anyway - twice). :xcom: I guess.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

binge crotching posted:

I thought Lost gave either no XP, or an extremely small amount?

It's small I think but I've definitely seen promotions get triggered by lost kills.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Captain Foo posted:

i mean, that seems pretty reasonable to me? you're not supposed to have infinite safe time by exploiting the travel time of approaching the temple ship...

The only reason for using the 'exploit' is if you went in the gollop chamber by mistake and had a tech still to be completed or a soldier to be healed. Designing a specific gently caress you to cover this case seems pointlessly spiteful.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Fangz posted:

The only reason for using the 'exploit' is if you went in the gollop chamber by mistake and had a tech still to be completed or a soldier to be healed. Designing a specific gently caress you to cover this case seems pointlessly spiteful.

I mean, yeah, it very obviously is.

It's also pretty funny and helps sell the final mission being for all the marbles, so that doesn't matter.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fangz posted:

Pretty sure that the temple ship launch comes with a warning that you can't go back, are you sure you want to commit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Honky Dong Country posted:

It's small I think but I've definitely seen promotions get triggered by lost kills.

I think the lost placed on the map at generation count for XP but any swarms triggered during the mission do not.