Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

nightly nopetopus posted:

Mm, chia seed cake. All that fibre.

Working at a butcher shop nowadays. Almost an utter sausage party, but for me and another and the amount of turkeys I fist on a weekly basis.

Also, just got married yesterday.

Congrats on the fisting! Wait, no, the wedding. Better if you combined the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Alkydere posted:

And I'm just gonna say right now that while you have good ideas, in reality there was no loving way to get a proper semi and 50-ft trailer into that parking lot in the day without crushing a few rich-people cars.

I fail to see the problem here.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Get ready for your incoming pay cuts Alberta staff: https://calgaryherald.com/news/politics/province-appoints-panel-to-look-at-potential-minimum-wage-cut-for-alcohol-servers

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
No, this item that is not on the specially curated gluten-free menu is not, in fact, gluten free. Yes, the roll "has gluten in it". No, I don't like you.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

From the CanPol thread:

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://twitter.com/SammyHudes/status/1162077554691301376?s=19

So I guess the end result of this will be that employees actually have to pay their employers for being so kind to give them work.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

gently caress sugar

Magnificent post! I look forward to hearing more.

One correction:

USDA issues a sort of stacking tier system of multiple tranches for each period, e.g.:

https://www.fas.usda.gov/newsroom/usda-announces-sugar-trqs-fiscal-year-2019

The variable price rate and uncertain tranche size may suck on the purchaser's end, but it's how the government stabilizes agricultural commodity prices (and through them, a large part of the global food supply). This is done through the Economic Research Service, one of the two big offices at USDA. You may have heard of them recently. Following through on some insane starve-the-beast plans from outside forces(idk who, the Kochs possibly), the Trump administration forced through action to move the ERS and some other USDA offices from their federal headquarters in DC/MD to...the vibrant regulatory center of Kansas City, MO.

More than half of their staff have retired or left. Again, this is the agency that stabilizes the US agricultural economy and a big part of the food supply. Fun times ahead.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So we hired a chef recently and he's been good about forcing the owner to finally move away from the late 90s wrt plating and having the same specials for so many years that I once recited them in their entirety in a dream, but for some reason he thinks that we're not going to have late tables on Fri/Sat. It baffles me. On one hand I was happy about making a grown rear end man lose his poo poo by asking why if he's been here all day he didn't at any point bother to look at the reservation sheet and is thus shocked (shocked!) that we have several reservations after 8. Like St Louis is a very early dining town but get your poo poo together.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Is it just me, or are Lancer kitchens filled with the angriest, saddest, most almost-disgruntled kitchen workers I've seen?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So we hired a chef recently and he's been good about forcing the owner to finally move away from the late 90s wrt plating and having the same specials for so many years that I once recited them in their entirety in a dream, but for some reason he thinks that we're not going to have late tables on Fri/Sat. It baffles me. On one hand I was happy about making a grown rear end man lose his poo poo by asking why if he's been here all day he didn't at any point bother to look at the reservation sheet and is thus shocked (shocked!) that we have several reservations after 8. Like St Louis is a very early dining town but get your poo poo together.

...what chef is dismayed abt more guests coming in? i'm in the midwest too and walk-ins add 100 covers on average to whatever's booked before service.

like lmbo work somewhere for a year where there are no reservations and you turn tables all night, get some perspective lol

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That sugar story holy poo poo :piss:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

SHVPS4DETH posted:

...what chef is dismayed abt more guests coming in? i'm in the midwest too and walk-ins add 100 covers on average to whatever's booked before service.

like lmbo work somewhere for a year where there are no reservations and you turn tables all night, get some perspective lol

We're a really tiny place, like 45 capacity so most (90%ish) of what we do is based on reservations if only because there's nowhere more than 6-8 people at a time can hang out and wait for a table. Not excusing him for being an idiot, in fact, in light of that its even more stupid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Walk ins can be frustrating because they can gently caress poo poo up, especially in a smaller place, though of course you should always try and accommodate them of you can. But if I'm not mistaken, your chef is bitching about reservations already on the books, which is dumb as gently caress.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Walkins can also be frustrating when an entire church bus of small children swarms your restaurant with no warning on a Saturday morning.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm just glad I don't work anywhere near where a cruise ship has a stop over.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Walk ins being a pain in the rear end has, in my experience, always been an issue when a ton of people show up at once - the aforementioned bus full of people, the entire little league team, or the cruise ship. It's entirely anecdotal and on a night-by-night basis. Most restaurants couldn't exist without walk ins, complaining about them seems utterly weird to me.

That said, most restaurants will (and should) publish the largest group size they can accommodate without a reservation as a method of controlling this.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Shooting Blanks posted:

Walk ins being a pain in the rear end has, in my experience, always been an issue when a ton of people show up at once - the aforementioned bus full of people, the entire little league team, or the cruise ship. It's entirely anecdotal and on a night-by-night basis. Most restaurants couldn't exist without walk ins, complaining about them seems utterly weird to me.

That said, most restaurants will (and should) publish the largest group size they can accommodate without a reservation as a method of controlling this.

agreed but no one's going to pay attention to that number and no host/GM is going to turn away that business especially if it's more than the published maximum

the walk-ins i hate are the 2-top who pops in 5 minutes before close and keep the kitchen open for another half hour waiting on their order. like way to broadcast that you've never worked a day in yr life

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Skwirl posted:

That traffic could be easily planned for.

SHVPS4DETH posted:

the walk-ins i hate are the 2-top who pops in 5 minutes before close and keep the kitchen open for another half hour waiting on their order.

I'm angry just reading this.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

SHVPS4DETH posted:

agreed but no one's going to pay attention to that number and no host/GM is going to turn away that business especially if it's more than the published maximum

the walk-ins i hate are the 2-top who pops in 5 minutes before close and keep the kitchen open for another half hour waiting on their order. like way to broadcast that you've never worked a day in yr life

Eh, I've seen restaurants tell even medium sized groups it was going to be awhile because they couldn't accommodate a 6 top without a reservation. And without moving people from other tables, they couldn't. In general I agree, it's not a catch all, but it at least gives better GMs and hosts an out when you have a 10 top show up at 7:30 on a Friday. Smarter GMs will say "It will be at least an hour before we can seat you, why don't you get a drink at the bar" assuming they have a large enough bar area to allow for that.

Completely agreed on the last minute walk ins. I generally won't sit down at a restaurant within 60-45 minutes of closing, and I won't order takeout within 30 minutes of closing. I'm sure I've violated this rule in the past and I'm lucky that I live in a large urban area with plenty of late night and 24 hour options, but that's generally what I go by.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
We always say "a busload of Asians" because we had a walkin group of 40 tourists who all wanted tea at 150 at a place that closed at 2 and owned 4 teapots and then order lunch one at a time through a translator for 30 minutes and everyone wanted to die. they also played musical chairs and wanted split checks

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

pile of brown posted:

they also played musical chairs and wanted split checks

Death is too good for them.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I was at the better Mexican spot in town and I saw a party of 8 shocked that there would be an hour wait at 7:50 PM on a Friday.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

SHVPS4DETH posted:

We quietly "encourage the assumption that we're closed" about 15 minutes before I turn off my hood/final flattop, but we still get the occasional old rear end in a top hat wandering through the half-closed gate into the empty dining room where the servers are mopping and the salad bar was put up an hour ago and ordering a well done porterhouse at 10:55

gently caress you old people, I want to clean my poo poo, go home, smoke weed and play video games, the c-store is open 24/7, go get some beef jerky since that's apparently what you really want anyway

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

pile of brown posted:

they also played musical chairs and wanted split checks

My worst was seeing this exact thing with a full little league team, including all parents. They were fine being seated around the restaurant as opposed to one group, but holy hell was it a nightmare figuring out the checks. At least it was like 2PM at a restaurant that kept service going through the day, so not only were we not busy but I wasn't keeping anyone there. I still hated them for it.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

Skwirl posted:

I used to work in a forty-odd seat cafe in Southeast Alaska. Only 2 cooks in the kitchen and no walk-in. This was in a town of about 8 thousand people. We would sometimes get another 3000 people in town during the day off cruise ships.

Our cafe was less than 50 yards from the dock, and was literally the first thing besides the city offices that people would see as they arrived in town. Those people paid our bills, but holy poo poo could that get hectic.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Shooting Blanks posted:

My worst was seeing this exact thing with a full little league team, including all parents. They were fine being seated around the restaurant as opposed to one group, but holy hell was it a nightmare figuring out the checks. At least it was like 2PM at a restaurant that kept service going through the day, so not only were we not busy but I wasn't keeping anyone there. I still hated them for it.

Basically this. I'll never turn down business, but goddamn if you're gonna drop thirty people on me right after open at least call and let me know a few minutes beforehand.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Coasterphreak posted:

Basically this. I'll never turn down business, but goddamn if you're gonna drop thirty people on me right after open at least call and let me know a few minutes beforehand.

Even the thirty people was fine - the kitchen was open and at 2PM the place wasn't busy. The problem was trying to sort out bills across multiple tables since we couldn't seat them all together, and kids migrated around to visit with their friends. So even though table 2 might have ordered a burger, a grilled cheese sandwich, a hot dog, and 2 cokes, that hot dog actually belonged to the parents at table 6, the kid just sat at 2 for a few minutes with his friend and ordered there.

It took forever for everyone to pay.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

I routinely get plowed by this. Get everyone to bill by jersey number, and ask for jersey number when taking orders across tables. Write it down as you go and also note it in the POS.

Also cry when you do everything right and get tipped 10% anyways because your owner refuses to do autograt

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Mezzanon posted:

I routinely get plowed by this. Get everyone to bill by jersey number, and ask for jersey number when taking orders across tables. Write it down as you go and also note it in the POS.

Also cry when you do everything right and get tipped 10% anyways because your owner refuses to do autograt

I once had a very nice, very decent server decline to autograt a table of like 14 or 15 guys, with the hope that they'd notice on the tab that she hadn't done it. They didn't notice it on the receipt, however they did notice it on the menu that groups >8 would be charged 20%, so other than a few $5 additions from individuals she got hosed. I felt a little bad for her, but drat...that's a big roll of the dice.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SHVPS4DETH posted:

My policy is "30 minutes before close" is the latest I'll place an order when going as a customer.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
We sell seven types of molasses. We only have retail pack sizes for one (blackstrap). I have asked everybody from the buyer to the product manager to the reps that actually sell these seven varieties of molasses, and nobody can tell me the difference between any of them except that blackstrap is extremely bold in flavor.

Do I buy six 5-gallon pails of molasses? I want to see which one I like best.

What do I even do with 30 gallons of molasses? Can I make molasses wine or something?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

We sell seven types of molasses. We only have retail pack sizes for one (blackstrap). I have asked everybody from the buyer to the product manager to the reps that actually sell these seven varieties of molasses, and nobody can tell me the difference between any of them except that blackstrap is extremely bold in flavor.

What do I even do with 30 gallons of molasses? Can I make molasses wine or something?

Recreate the great molasses flood, scaled down

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Rum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiwSIFqq8J0

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

30 gallons of molasses??

Make a monster batch of gingerbread / gingersnaps

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Are they graded in any way? The only other thing I can think of is if you have weird molasses with a different base ingredient - for instance, pomegranate molasses is a thing.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Shooting Blanks posted:

Are they graded in any way? The only other thing I can think of is if you have weird molasses with a different base ingredient - for instance, pomegranate molasses is a thing.

The spec sheet is impenetrable. We have sweet molasses, sweet homestyle, sweet Barbados (this one I know, it's the first press), sweet premium homestyle, and sweet medium. Also, blackstrap and premium blackstrap.

Brix is almost identical between all of the sweet ones.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 23, 2019

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This article has been making the rounds in other threads it seems appropiate.

https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

Just from following this thread, it really seems like this person made the worst possible choice every single step of the way.

From his entire ambition of wanting to be like Marco Pierre White is in YouTube clips of him drinking cider and being chummy with customers he ended up wasting all his money, fracturing his family, owing debt to several personal friends, and walking away in tatters from an operation that once run competently was a thriving business.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

pentyne posted:

Just from following this thread, it really seems like this person made the worst possible choice every single step of the way.

From his entire ambition of wanting to be like Marco Pierre White is in YouTube clips of him drinking cider and being chummy with customers he ended up wasting all his money, fracturing his family, owing debt to several personal friends, and walking away in tatters from an operation that once run competently was a thriving business.

I think my favourite part is at the start when he discovered that $60,000 isn't enough money to even consider starting a restaurant and just doubles down.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

pentyne posted:

I think that's been in here before (not to say you shouldn't have posted, I'm betting a lot of people who post here haven't seen it before)

Is it the guy who, as soon as he was running at a profit, either took all of August off, or actually shut the entire place down for the month?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Skwirl posted:

I think that's been in here before (not to say you shouldn't have posted, I'm betting a lot of people who post here haven't seen it before)

Is it the guy who, as soon as he was running at a profit, either took all of August off, or actually shut the entire place down for the month?

A week but yes, he shut the place down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That article is interesting. Everyone's so nice to him, everything goes way better than it really should, but it still fails very quickly. He just was completely clueless on the business end (as if having $0 in liquid capital on opening day didnt prove that already).