Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

To be honest though Godot's redemption is just going "okay yeah I set up an elaborate plan to be the hero that backfired and killed Maya and Mia's mother and made another woman take the (DEATH PENTALTY) fall for it while I gleefully prosecuted her all so I could be the hero. *knocks head* tehe~"

“Also I hate you Trite because you weren’t MAN enough to prevent Mia’s violent death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He doesn't really get redeemed but he clearly acknowledges that he was wrong and also dies

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yo how hosed is it that Storyteller gets off the hook entirely for committing countless human rights violations for a decade to avoid taking his daughter to therapy

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's fine, he owns Big Pharma, so clearly he's a good person deep down.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Irony Be My Shield posted:

He doesn't really get redeemed but he clearly acknowledges that he was wrong and also dies

wait, he does? When?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Merilan posted:

wait, he does? When?

He admits that he could have prevented everything if he asked Phoenix for help but was too prideful to do so.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Merilan posted:

wait, he does? When?

It's vague and unclear what exactly happens after the trial, but he implies he's been living on borrowed time since he woke up.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Godot is not unproblematic, but at least Misty and Iris both volunteered to take the fall and he is quite genuinely remorseful at the end. He’s never explicitly stated to be dead, but it’s made quite clear that he’s been running on fumes since his “resurrection” and his only goal is to get closure on Mia and Dahlia, and in the big ending slide painting by Larry, all the alive characters are grouped together while he’s on his own with Misty and Mia. I rank him as a sympathetic character with a complete arc, outside of the whole alpha male sexism complex.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wouldn't go as far as calling him sympathetic. He's The Guy Who Sucks by design and others are punished because of his sucking while he technically isn't.

Also it only recently dawned on me that his shirt is green because he can't tell it isn't red.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

chumbler posted:

I wouldn't go as far as calling him sympathetic. He's The Guy Who Sucks by design and others are punished because of his sucking while he technically isn't.

Also it only recently dawned on me that his shirt is green because he can't tell it isn't red.

He doesn't have color blindness, his visor tints things red so he can't see red on a white or colorless background.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Through a red filter, a green shirt would look solid black

Which he picked because he's in mourning

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

It's vague and unclear what exactly happens after the trial, but he implies he's been living on borrowed time since he woke up.
Also in the credits image he appears above the page fold posing with two dead characters with a cloudy outline, with 6 living characters underneath.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

RandomFerret posted:

Through a red filter, a green shirt would look solid black

Which he picked because he's in mourning

I can never tell which things are fanon or obscure lore.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Tesseraction posted:

I can never tell which things are fanon or obscure lore.

blackquill's eyes are like that because he cried a lot in jail and never wiped his tears

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

somepartsareme posted:

blackquill's eyes are like that because he cried a lot in jail and never wiped his tears

That does remind me that I've seen the aesthetic several times in Japanese stuff but never gotten around to figuring out the reference.

That and the name for the repeated banging of a taiko and followed by a howl.

Two things that bother me to poo poo but I never get around to looking up.

*looks expectantly towards nearby weebs*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's fine, he owns Big Pharma, so clearly he's a good person deep down.

The most hosed up thing is that there are CHILDREN YOUNGER THAN TEN in Labyrinthia

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The motivation we actually get for his sleazy behavior are things like him wanting an easy win, or wanting to close the case early to get to a CD signing he booked on the same day as the trial, or one time straight up shits and giggles because he just wanted to embarass Ema. That's not chill and honest or even remotely sympathetic.
It would be cool if he were just a lazy prosecutor who didn't take his job seriously and did it more as a side gig, but then the cases keep getting more serious and it forces him to start caring.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I never finished AAvPL so I thought you were talking about Turnabout Storyteller and got confused

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

tbh if Godot was just Godot on his own and got more comeuppance it wouldn't be too bad, but AA3 was *chock* full of guys doing gross guy things in part because of how they wrote people reacting to Dahlia. you just can't take a break at all from it in that game

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Apollo and Klavier's dynamic is A+ and makes Klav cool in my book.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I do like that you run into Klavier just, like, out in the world, and talk about things unrelated to the case. Franziska never says anything other than "I will destroy you Mr. Phoenix Wright" and I didn't even know Edgeworth had a talk sprite until case 4.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Tesseraction posted:

But that mindset at the law college was a byproduct of the dark age of the law brought about by Phoenix getting disbarred during Klavier's first trial.

See, I figured the corruption was going on a lot longer given the amount of time certain people were there and the presence of existing corruption in prior games. That’s more my own interpretation though.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The Chief Prosecuttor in AAI2 is arrested as a murderer a few weeks before Phoenix is disbarred. Think about that.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

See, I figured the corruption was going on a lot longer given the amount of time certain people were there and the presence of existing corruption in prior games. That’s more my own interpretation though.

The "Dark Age of the Law" has definitely been going on for a very long time. It's just that Phoenix, an up-and-coming lawyer who's won an impossible amount of cases and defeated pretty much every legendary undefeated prosecutor, being disbarred was the breaking point. Everyone began to wonder if he had been relying on forged evidence all this time to win all his cases. As Olga Orly put it, "It would cast doubt on all his previous wins."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

RandomFerret posted:

I do like that you run into Klavier just, like, out in the world, and talk about things unrelated to the case. Franziska never says anything other than "I will destroy you Mr. Phoenix Wright" and I didn't even know Edgeworth had a talk sprite until case 4.

He smacktalks you in the lobby during case 2 though?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

SardonicTyrant posted:

The Chief Prosecuttor in AAI2 is arrested as a murderer a few weeks before Phoenix is disbarred. Think about that.

Nah, Blaise Debeste was a former chief prosecutor, probably the previous. He was the chairman of the Prosecutorial Investigation Committee when he was arrested.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm watching an LP of DGS and it's good. I do have to say I miss Wright a little bit during the trials.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
EDIT: Nevermind, found what I was looking for!

oopsie rock fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 18, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So finally finished the Inherited Turnabout.

I suppose in retrospect it was obviously that the shifty looking dude with scars was in fact the culprit back then, but I still feel his motivation seems a little Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain level of motivation - "mwahaha I will become the GREATEST PASTRY CHEF" "mwahaha I shall help you" "mwahaha now is the day of our victory" "mwahaha I've betrayed you for some reason" and then a long chain of events.

THAT SAID, it genuinely was touching to see Master's reaction to the work put in by the Edgeworths and Shields, so say nothing of Shield's last-minute dropping of the cool-guy act as he leaves. After getting pissed off with the prison story going on so long and the first half of this arc being overly word-heavy and plot-light I feel a lot better about carrying on.

I've played more of AAI2 this past week or so as the plot came back to being interesting after relegating it to being how I pass five minutes on the bog during the sloggier bits.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I like that in the world of ace attorney a guy can make a dessert so bad that 11 people die over the course of 15 years or so

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Alder posted:

I'm watching an LP of DGS and it's good. I do have to say I miss Wright a little bit during the trials.

It's so good!
Keet it up though! I grew really attached to the ~family~ they build in there. My ideal situation would be for both DGS and AA continue on their own terms. But we already know that isn't happening.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Streamer named GeePM played DGS 1-1 yesterday - https://youtu.be/IqVtKIWKUHI

He’s a fun, chill guy and should be playing the rest of the cases in the days/weeks to come. If you prefer to watch them live keep an eye out, or he should have streams uploaded in short order.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

So finally finished the Inherited Turnabout.

I suppose in retrospect it was obviously that the shifty looking dude with scars was in fact the culprit back then, but I still feel his motivation seems a little Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain level of motivation - "mwahaha I will become the GREATEST PASTRY CHEF" "mwahaha I shall help you" "mwahaha now is the day of our victory" "mwahaha I've betrayed you for some reason" and then a long chain of events.

THAT SAID, it genuinely was touching to see Master's reaction to the work put in by the Edgeworths and Shields, so say nothing of Shield's last-minute dropping of the cool-guy act as he leaves. After getting pissed off with the prison story going on so long and the first half of this arc being overly word-heavy and plot-light I feel a lot better about carrying on.

I've played more of AAI2 this past week or so as the plot came back to being interesting after relegating it to being how I pass five minutes on the bog during the sloggier bits.

Still a better motive than some other culprits. (JFA) coughmattengardecough

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Still a better motive than some other culprits. (JFA) coughmattengardecough

The whole background behind 2-4 hit home for me pretty well personally, even in the exaggerated state Ace Attorney makes its characters to be. fake "family-friendly" public figures in showbiz who are in truth garbage and extremely toxic to the point of causing a lot of grief and even a suicide to their "backstage" staff wasn't something I expected AA to cover

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Merilan posted:

The whole background behind 2-4 hit home for me pretty well personally, even in the exaggerated state Ace Attorney makes its characters to be. fake "family-friendly" public figures in showbiz who are in truth garbage and extremely toxic to the point of causing a lot of grief and even a suicide to their "backstage" staff wasn't something I expected AA to cover

In that regard it's nice that Will Powers looks like he'd be an rear end in a top hat and even admits he looks terrifying but is just constantly a nice guy who even invites you to the event in 2-4 expecting it to be a nice time for everyone even though he was under no obligation to do so.

Regarding AAI2-4, bit disappointed at amnesia-Kay because her goofy interventions were always fun and I don't like this meek persona, but oh well at least we have Franziska to add some personality to the mix (:rip: gumshoe). I'm still early in but given the body had Kay's Promise Diary and the letter found on Kay being from 'Jill' I'm going to assume this victim is the aforementioned Jill, in which case I'm curious... who is Jill? Well, that's why I keep playing!

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

The hush of the night sky is the silence of a graveyard.
What I really liked about AAI2-4 was the parallels between Edgeworth and Kay & Ray and Gregory

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Still on the 3rd case of DGS: I now understand why this will never be localized. Everyone's extreme racism of Japan and pretty much ruined the entire game for me. RIP.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Playing through case 3-3 in the HD remake right now, and the translators must have had a hell of a time trying to write around English not having gendered first-person pronouns.

When I first played this game as a kid I thought Armstrong's dialogue was just badly written. Now that I can see what they were up against, I definitely couldn't have done any better.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think one of the translators even wrote an article talking about how they wished they had handled Armstrong better but the language just wasn't there at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
With the original trilogy on the Switch, I’ve been replaying all six main games in order. I just finished case 4-3– I haven’t played Apollo Justice in about 10 years— and while gameplay-wise there’s quite a few things that are frustrating compared to the rest of the series, I still really think the characters and general writing weren’t as bad as a lot of people think it was.

Case 4-3 in particular reaffirmed to me why I like Klavier. I think I was inclined to like him faster than most of the other prosecutors, given that he’s both the least antagonistic and the most outright helpful of them from the get-go, but his attitude and actions in 4-3 as the evidence builds up towards the real culprit were really on point. He starts out not believing it, and then at a certain point he realizes the truth and starts helping you out, because you can tell he’s feeling betrayed and knows that the culprit is who he is. There are a few moments where he pokes holes in the case, but it read to me as him trying to make sure those holes are noticed and then filled, because he knows what the truth is even if the law in this case can’t fully account for it.

tl;dr I like Klavier and the game as a whole and think people are a bit too hard on it.