Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Some guy in the Steam Forums posted:

Ok! Good news and you don't have to reinstall windows.

This may not work for you, but it worked for me. Haven't tested in VR yet.

Been battling for days and wondering why everything seemed to be doubled (load times) or halved (detail in distance, creatures half rendered, trees half rendered and framerates halved). Then I remembered windows does certain things on timers and...it's complicated, doesn't matter.

Try this on the command line - you have to be administrator.

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
bcdedit /deletevalue tscsyncpolicy
bcdedit /deletevalue disabledynamictick

Then restart.

Did it fix it? For me, yes : load times are now <1min instead of 5-10mins, detail in distance is far (trees on distant hills), frame rates are 90fps instead of 35. Oh wow beyond is beautiful again.

Beyond must rely on some of the new timers but my windows was using the old ones (or the other way around, who cares, it works)

edit : just tried it in vr. Getting 90fps. On a rx480. Wow.

So I did that (only useplatformclock and disabledynamictick did anything) and my load times when warping went from ~5+ minutes to <30 seconds. What the gently caress did I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What is the best way to identify an individual deposit in the scanner? I need to find copper but it's a crapshoot figuring out which icon in the landscape around me actually belongs to copper. I've even seen the word copper pop up a couple times but the node selection is so finicky I haven't been able to go back and select it.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Atoramos posted:

Is there a reasonable way to find a better multi-tool? Still dinking around with the default gun and assumed I'd get a free offer from the Nexus since I remember the free tool in the column in the Anomaly, but I can't find one.
Only two ways to find better multitools, one is when on planets, fly around and enter buildings. There's one particular kind of building that contains a random multitool, a trade terminal, and a gek/korvax/vykeen that will sell you stuff.

The other is visit every space station you go into, the left side always has a random multitool. Keep in mind, they all costs lots of units!! I think 24 slot ones cost like 10 million? It's been a while.

The Walrus posted:

What is the best way to identify an individual deposit in the scanner? I need to find copper but it's a crapshoot figuring out which icon in the landscape around me actually belongs to copper. I've even seen the word copper pop up a couple times but the node selection is so finicky I haven't been able to go back and select it.
Yea, not a fan of this. I try to point at an icon, but it keeps getting interrupted by a rock or a plant in front of it.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

The Walrus posted:

Deposits will show up as a diamond icon. You'll need to keep your scanner crosshair over the diamond icon for a second to see what kind of deposit it is; once you have you can hold E with it selected to mark it, at which point it'll show up on your HUD.

I haven't found node selection finicky but I'm using KBM; if you're in third person, maybe switch to first person when looking for that?

Failing that you can always hop into your ship and fly around, as copper deposits look like, well, copper, and the colour stands out on most planets.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Meiteron posted:

Deposits will show up as a diamond icon. You'll need to keep your scanner crosshair over the diamond icon for a second to see what kind of deposit it is; once you have you can hold E with it selected to mark it, at which point it'll show up on your HUD.

I haven't found node selection finicky but I'm using KBM; if you're in third person, maybe switch to first person when looking for that?

Failing that you can always hop into your ship and fly around, as copper deposits look like, well, copper, and the colour stands out on most planets.

I probably should have specified I'm in VR. The flying around is a good tip though, as is the info about it being the diamond icons.

The menus in this game are a bit inscrutable (needing to create items in the inventory, multitool, or build menu depending on what they are will take some getting used to) but it's fun so far. I accidentally murdered some anklyosaur-cow and I felt terrible.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
My favorite part of BEYOND is actually the fact that Sentinels basically almost don't exist. I mean they do, but they aren't everywhere just going "hey, are you getting rid of a rock? Time to kill you!"

The other QOL features are great like the fact that the reactor no longer takes forever to process an entire stack of goods. Or the fact you can carry 10k units of raw materials instead of juggling your inventory with 10 stacks of 250 ferrite dust.

Also is there a way to leave a group without reloading my save? I did a multiplayer mission with someone but just wanted to go back to my solo exploration.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 17, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

H13 posted:

Okay, I've got a craving for a space game but I've kinda done everything I want to do in Elite Dangerous.

Is this a game where I can fly around, modifying and customising my ship to make it awesome, while building a base in space, which I will need to protect from assholes who will try to destroy my wonderful space penis base? Can I fly my base somewhere else to attack some other bastard's base to demonstrate that my base is superior?

Does this use a Newtonian flight model where you have to roll to turn?

I haven't played it yet (only because I still have this and Outer Wilds and it feels like I should maybe play at least one of these before I buy a new one?) but maybe check out Rebel Galaxy Outlaw?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 17, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

IAmTheRad posted:

My favorite part of BEYOND is actually the fact that Sentinels basically almost don't exist. I mean they do, but they aren't everywhere just going "hey, are you getting rid of a rock? Time to kill you!"

I noticed this too, but I started a new game so I thought it was maybe just the planet/system I was on. I was a PS4 preorder for this game and in the very beginning the sentinels would crush you for the smallest infractions. I’m glad that has relaxed a bit.

I don’t mind paying for big infractions but I don’t want to get lasered to death because I shot a space weed.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

Also is there a way to leave a group without reloading my save? I did a multiplayer mission with someone but just wanted to go back to my solo exploration.

Theres a leave group button in network and voice options. i used this to hop missions quickly in the nexus with randoms

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've only gotten wanted pips once so far, when breaking into a secure facility. That was also when I discovered that you can now fire your weapon inside buildings (in VR at least, and this may be unintentional).

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

haveblue posted:

I've only gotten wanted pips once so far, when breaking into a secure facility. That was also when I discovered that you can now fire your weapon inside buildings (in VR at least, and this may be unintentional).

In not VR you can fire as well, so it might be intentional.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Played the new update for the first time last night, guess I got lucky because I didn’t run into any crashes or performance issues. Overall a pretty dope update, only issue for me is all the keybinds being reset to default and not being able to rebind them. Not a huge issue since I’d previously only changed a few things and I would assume it’ll be fixed sometime in the near future.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Has anyone looked if you can use the nexus to travel to other systems and buy poo poo at those systems? I’m curious if the nexus a man be used to find S/Exotic multi tools and ships.

Also I’m going to have to relearn all the stargaze glyphs again but I read you can learn those from travelers in space stations and don’t necessarily need to do the entire storyline?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Had a long rear end session with a couple of friends. Had some bugs, but for the most part we had a whole lot of fun. Eventually found a nice ice planets with big bluffs and excellent animals. Me and one of my compatriots set up twin bases on separate bluffs. Good game.

Bedurndurn posted:

So I did that (only useplatformclock and disabledynamictick did anything) and my load times when warping went from ~5+ minutes to <30 seconds. What the gently caress did I do?

Nothing found when executing these functions (like, it goes somewhere, but there's nothing to change). Guess I'm not so lucky.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Eheu, I can't stop playing this janky, grindy game.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
this game has some major dysncing issues on ps4. When trying to group with friends it acts like a person just isn't in the group for one and clearly in the group for another.

It sometimes says there's 2 of the same person in the group and when trying do missions on the nexus other then some ppl not being able to join the mission it will even flat out call someone a different name then their psn name. Like the game will assign a random game name to a player. It's loving awful.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just built a base on an inaccessible plateau because it looked cool, then realized my mistake. However after some mild issues and a lot of thruster fuel I now have a kickass staircase to use for short jaunts. This game owns.

However the base computer (screenshots, renaming, etc) is 100% broken in VR

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just a quick tip to anyone starting out with this expansion: As soon as you have around 100k+ units, go to a space station and stock up on as many Oxygen tanks and Ion Batteries as you can. Just leave them in the space ship, you can use them from there for recharging your life support and hazard shield.

Takes a lot of frustration out of the early game, now you can actually save your oxygen for crafting.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of hot tips, build a save point as soon as you can, then just carry it with you everywhere. Makes exploring easier and you won't feel tethered to your ship.

VR chat: Landed on a new planet today. The ground was hues of honey-gold and purple, with purple and teal grass blowing in the breeze. The temperature was in the low 60fs. Next to know toxicity or radiation. I could live here. I've explored a local gave system, came across a few standing stones that teach the words, and even saw short, squat, bi-pedal little lizard rhinos. I threw a pellet down for them and they gathered like geese.

This game in VR, I believe, is what I think the next leap forward in video game graphics and interactivity. It's janky and grindy and still needs some time in the oven, but it's the closest I'll likely ever get to feeling like I'm physically exploring another place.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A couple of "fun" bugs on my new Beyond game.
--Added Artemis's crashed ship to my collection, my original ship was un-selectable to switch back. Can't switch from the "select vehicle" menu either. Built a base as a marker, did the Nexus stuff in case it was plot based (since they now ping on you flying her ship), went back and my other ship was gone. We'll see if it's sitting on a landing pad when I get a freighter.
--When I left the Nexus, I somehow did so without a ship. Just hovered there in space until I suffocated.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

quote:

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
bcdedit /deletevalue tscsyncpolicy
bcdedit /deletevalue disabledynamictick
None of these values should even be present in a normal Windows installation. That guy on the Steam forums hosed with his install in the past.

For a while it was hot to gently caress around with the reference clock for the system, because for a while people thought HPET was bad.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Bruceski posted:

--Added Artemis's crashed ship to my collection, my original ship was un-selectable to switch back. Can't switch from the "select vehicle" menu either. Built a base as a marker, did the Nexus stuff in case it was plot based (since they now ping on you flying her ship), went back and my other ship was gone. We'll see if it's sitting on a landing pad when I get a freighter.

I don't think it is. When I picked up the Folly, it replaced the starting ship, but when I then returned to the site an hour later because the HUD icon was still flashing, I found another copy of Artemis' ship, and when I grabbed that, it was added to my collection. I can call down both Follys with the tools menu, but I can no longer call down the Pillar.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Bruceski posted:

Yeah I got hosed by this too. Luckily I had almost nothing stored on my Pillar and the Folly was a better ship anyways.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does claiming the bonus pre-order ship still break the game?

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Noctone posted:

Yeah I got hosed by this too. Luckily I had almost nothing stored on my Pillar and the Folly was a better ship anyways.

I think this happens if you haven’t gotten the freighter yet. You have to trade directly unless you can park the old one.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a single person who thinks based were improved by wiring?

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

The Walrus posted:

Just built a base on an inaccessible plateau because it looked cool, then realized my mistake. However after some mild issues and a lot of thruster fuel I now have a kickass staircase to use for short jaunts. This game owns.

However the base computer (screenshots, renaming, etc) is 100% broken in VR

Yeah first time I tried to name my base as part if the tutorial I thought the game softlocked. Turns out there's just no interface for it in VR so you gotta take off the headset and use your keyboard on PC. No idea how it would work on PS4, but the system has a built in on screen keyboard for the controller so maybe it just works there?

I also customized my avatar and the gloves I changed to only have a wrist cuff and no hand model for the left hand in first person for VR so that's annoying.

Whatever patches they dropped Friday helped tremendously with my VR performance at least.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Is there a single person who thinks based were improved by wiring?

If they do then they're just lying to themselves.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Nexus is gorgeous. Still getting the hang of this game again but I think I'm almost ready to start freighter hunting then multi-tool hunting.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

chaosapiant posted:

Does claiming the bonus pre-order ship still break the game?
Yes. When I did it, it gave me the option to buy for free and add to collection or swap my old ship. I did the purchase option, old ship (first ship in game) disappeared (has never re-appeared, even after getting a freighter, and it isn't in the "summon ship" selection) and the pre-order ship has 2 launchers, 2 pulse engines, both filled to the brim, but consistently has a "no launch fuel" error when I try to launch it.

Luckily by the time I tried this, I already hacked the game to get me all the stuff I had on my previous save because apparently old saves are hosed with this patch, so I built a teleporter (so glad they're super cheap now instead of prohibitively expensive,) went up to the trade station, and bought the first ship I could.

Once the cheat engine tables are up to date I'll probably try to fix the pre-order ship ala deconstructing the duped engines.

Also, I'm pretty sure the reason the engines are duped is because the code telling the game to give it the thrusters in its main inventory but that's colliding with the code insisting that all thrusters now show up in the equipment/systems inventory instead. Hello Games really doesn't do testing well...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Nexus is gorgeous. Still getting the hang of this game again but I think I'm almost ready to start freighter hunting then multi-tool hunting.
Hot tip for you, bee-line your tech towards the system scanners so you can find the 3-star tech systems easier and get the best stuff.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 17, 2019

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I'm honestly still confused about what all of the game's systems are and I just made it to the nexus. There's all sorts of upgrading, various currencies for upgrading various things, main plot line, side plots etc. Seems like the set of things I need to be aware of just keeps mounting. Which isn't bad, but I'm confused as poo poo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Noctone posted:

Yeah, nothing in there I can't replace by shooting asteroids for a while, but it's the principle of the thing.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Daedalus1134 posted:

I think this happens if you haven’t gotten the freighter yet. You have to trade directly unless you can park the old one.

Nah on my other save pre-Beyond I had multiple ships before I got my freighter.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Noctone posted:

Nah on my other save pre-Beyond I had multiple ships before I got my freighter.
I think that's one of the things they changed in the patch, which kinda sucks. I lost some valuable-ish items changing ships, since I didn't know you wouldn't get to keep both of them I ignored the warning. Before it was just "leave stuff on this ship and I'll grab it in a minute" now it's gone, oops

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Did they remove the gamma setting option? I can't find it anywhere

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

The Walrus posted:

I probably should have specified I'm in VR. The flying around is a good tip though, as is the info about it being the diamond icons.

The menus in this game are a bit inscrutable (needing to create items in the inventory, multitool, or build menu depending on what they are will take some getting used to) but it's fun so far. I accidentally murdered some anklyosaur-cow and I felt terrible.

You gotta aim your head directly at the icon. Took me awhile to figure this out, I thought it was the gun at first.

Really annoyed at how putting your hands close together stops your movement cold. I find myself wanting to do the whole 'flashlight hand under supporting pistol hand on top' thing from cop shows and it just doesn't work.

I found my first giant animal, a huge crab thing, tall enough i could walk directly under / between its legs with a few feet of clearance left. It was peaceful but it legit gave me a jump the first time it started moving on its own when I got close. Playing this in VR is just something else entirely.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Meiteron posted:

I got my Star Destroyer back.

Actually I got a better Star Destroyer compared to my last playthrough this one is way larger! It is S-Class. It has all the slots. This is the kind of capital ship that costs $gently caress You units to purchase that's a pipe dream at any point beyond way late endgame, but I got it for free, because this isn't my first playthrough and I know the tricks.

If this is YOUR first playthrough, allow me to share the tricks:

In order to introduce you to the freighter system the game is hard-coded to generate a pirate encounter after 3-4 warps. Now, picture this: You are a new player and you warp into a new system and you're immediately in the middle of a dogfight - pirates attacking the freighter. You fight them off, you get invited on board by the freighter captain, he offers his freighter to you for free. What a great deal! You accept!

It's a trap, a ruse, a deception. You fool. You dullard.

The first encounter is also hard-coded to be one of the shittier, smaller freighter types, usually a C or B-class one to boot, just to get you started. Three hours later when you warp into another system and see an actual Capital Ship you'll go aboard and find it costs seventy billion units and you'll never afford one for hours and hours.

Here's the thing: the free freighter is only ever the first one offered to you. But you don't have to go take the lovely first one. You can just not board at all, and go about your business, and leave the system.

Pirate attacks on freighters are coded to happen after either a few real-time hours of play or a much larger number of warps, and after the first one can include capitals. When the game decides you're ready to have another encounter, your next warp into the middle of a dogfight is not a random encounter - if you load an autosave from just before you made that warp, you can warp anywhere and there will be a freighter battle waiting for you.

A specific system will have the same freighter when you warp there but every system will have a different one. If you want a Big Ship you want to stick to 3-star economic systems (the richest ones; make sure you have an economy scanner installed on your regular ship) When you find the right one? Kill the pirates, accept the communication from the freighter, board and talk to the captain. No charge! You do not save your game when landing on a freighter so you can even just load a save if you don't like the number of slots or class.

Now, if you happened to select that starting free freighter, you are out of luck. If you did, I urge you not to get too salty over it - freighter model and size has basically no effect whatsoever on the actual mechanics of freighter fleets, and is basically just for a fun visual of owning a Big Ship. They all look exactly the same on the inside and have the same space for customization. It's actually because of that, that I suggest this whole venture; it's really *not* worth a few hundred million units to get the best freighter, it's just a way-too-high endgame unit sink.

So if you want a cool looking ship to be your mobile base and have the opportunity, well, it might just be worth doing.

Quoting this so I acn save for later but also a question: Do you fight off the pirates in the first attack and then ignore the freighter or do you ignore the pirates and the situation entirely?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Deakul posted:

If they do then they're just lying to themselves.

When they smooth out the bugs, I prefer wiring. Gives me more of a challenge with bases and whatnot. I have a feeling most energy problems can be solved by a set of good generators anyway, so I don't mind having more to do and more excuses to make my bases more complex.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
god i forgot how to loving make money in this game and am perpetually poor despite being like 7-8 hours into a brand new playthrough

any tips that arent just "raise your rep with races so that you can take on missions and get space money"? is it really just "fly through space a lot and hope you get to a system with s class scanner upgrades and maybe some high quality scavenger poo poo underground"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Legs Benedict posted:

god i forgot how to loving make money in this game and am perpetually poor despite being like 7-8 hours into a brand new playthrough

any tips that arent just "raise your rep with races so that you can take on missions and get space money"? is it really just "fly through space a lot and hope you get to a system with s class scanner upgrades and maybe some high quality scavenger poo poo underground"?

I found a few planets (some through the Nexus mission terminal) with the "Ancient Bones" listing on the scanner. The common ones sell for a bout 60-120k, the uncommon ones sell for ~500k, the rares 1m+. They'll usually be underground in clusters of 2-3, and the planets I've seen them on have truckloads of them. I think I made about 10m in my first hour or two playing with effectively no upgrades while zooming around collecting Salvage Data and bones.