Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FogHelmut posted:

I don't understand how this RCS stuff works. It's just native in the texting app and starts happening if the other person also has RCS? I think I've only seen it happen once. My friends and I had a group MMS going for a while, but the messages started getting so huge that it was crashing people's phones. We moved to WhatsApp, and then Telegram after all of the WhatsApp concerns. I mostly chat with everyone else on Hangouts because everyone is in front of a computer all day.

it's basically WhatsApp/Allo/Hangouts but in the text app with automatic switching so you aren't dealing with one SMS convo and one other one based on whatever conditions. However, it's meant to be (and is being pushed as) a messaging standard which replaces SMS. Consequently, not every carrier is on board with it and (I think) not every device supports it so you get weird patchwork Typical Google poo poo

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I think RCS was meant to be a "neutral" messaging protocol to compete with iMessage. Google thought they could descend from on high and get every carrier and every non-Apple device maker on board with this standard, and thus then Apple would inevitably cave to Google's superior technology and there would be one less barrier for iPhone users to switch to Android. I am not an expert on it but my gut says that this is really what they wanted out of it.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Blue bubbles are a status symbol apparently.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dietrich posted:

Blue bubbles are a status symbol apparently.

Well it works well you don’t get video that’s compressed to poo poo and get read receipts and silly poo poo.

It also makes sending pages long texts over some bullshit painless to read lol.

SMS really is poo poo and totally insecure.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i have an iphone now and i think i am going to wait until i have a critical mass of iMessage group texts going and then suddenly turn off iMessage support lol. Some iphone users are real weird about it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Well it works well you don’t get video that’s compressed to poo poo and get read receipts and silly poo poo.

It also makes sending pages long texts over some bullshit painless to read lol.

SMS really is poo poo and totally insecure.

iMessage isn't secure at all. if your data connection is dodgy it will silently fall back onto unencrypted SMS. the only secure message apps are proper dedicated ones like Signal

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

iMessage isn't secure at all. if your data connection is dodgy it will silently fall back onto unencrypted SMS

Ok :rolleyes:

It’s way more secure vs sms and generally works. Also pretty sure it won’t fall back to SMS unless you tell it to. It fails first then asks if you want to SMS it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i never would have guessed the google fi thread, home of cynical and world-weary computer users, would turn up some koolaid-drinking apple defender, but here we are

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Saying it’s absolutely better vs SMS is defending it? Lol ok.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

At this point there should be one unified platform already anyway.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Saying it’s absolutely better vs SMS is defending it? Lol ok.

Maybe it's better in functionality, but it's difficult to say "absolutely better" in the current landscape. It's not universal, it's miserable to switch off of, and the experience for non-iMessage users included in group chats is very much suboptimal.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
SMS is absolute garbage. iMessage is really slick and RCS is decent in the admittedly limited scope I've used it. Tech companies need to quit being so lazy with poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

SMS is absolute garbage. iMessage is really slick and RCS is decent in the admittedly limited scope I've used it. Tech companies need to quit being so lazy with poo poo.

Is it the companies or carriers? Honest question because it seems like carriers could give a poo poo about.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

it seems like carriers could give a poo poo about.

I work in this industry and can assure you this is not true at all.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Given that SMS was basically a way to use empty space in signal frames or something like that in a manner that could generate income, carriers are definitely dragging rear end on RCS because it's not free money.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I could believe that maybe 8+ years ago when they still made a hefty chunk off of SMS/MMS but nowadays it's so baked into every phone plan and it's all unlimited that I doubt they care. Hell, you could roll out RCS and still charge people $10/m for SMS service and they likely wouldn't know the difference.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Given that SMS was basically a way to use empty space in signal frames or something like that in a manner that could generate income, carriers are definitely dragging rear end on RCS because it's not free money.

My dude, again....totally wrong. I get how this seems like a reasonable position when you don't work in this industry. But SMS itself is already a major shitshow in the US starting about a year ago, with carriers trying to tariff p2p vs. a2p differently (hi, Verizon!), absolute madness with short codes and whether they can be shared or not. Their "free money" has been getting the poo poo monetized out of it for a long time. Half the time you need to deliver an SMS or MMS to a carrier they won't even accept it directly and you have to go to deliver it to a third party (I'm not going to start naming names here because it would all get too obvious) unless you want to buy their special snowflake IPX product.......which IPX shouldn't be a special product by definition it should just work to connect to anyone.

Most of the carriers are absolutely looking at RCS, and mostly how they monetize and tariff it.

Edit: yes, all of this poo poo is largely divorced from the end user. But this is what's happening in the wholesale world, and how it shakes out will absolutely impact your mobile bill.

And this is just in the US. I'm dealing with different levels of madness globally.

Edit 2: Would you believe that most MMS are delivered via SMTP still in the wholesale interop world? It's just bad. It's all so bad. I can't even believe how frequently this poo poo actually works.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 14, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I guess the question is why couldn’t google do what Apple does and just force every android phone onto a single platform?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Because that's antithetical to the point of Android.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Motronic posted:

Edit 2: Would you believe that most MMS are delivered via SMTP still in the wholesale interop world? It's just bad. It's all so bad. I can't even believe how frequently this poo poo actually works.

I was able to get SMS alerts working in Mimecast by putting the alert email address as [phone number]@[carrier].com so I believe that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

McPhearson posted:

I was able to get SMS alerts working in Mimecast by putting the alert email address as [phone number]@[carrier].com so I believe that.

That's actually a different channel for most carriers, but only because we have non-internet connectivity between each other. It's probably hitting the same box.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I hopped over to Mint because it was cheaper and I already had good T-Mobile coverage.

First I'd heard of Mint and it looks good. Thanks!

I will miss RCS on Fi, but not paying $10/gig will console me.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

TVGM posted:

First I'd heard of Mint and it looks good. Thanks!

I will miss RCS on Fi, but not paying $10/gig will console me.

Yeah it's pretty awesome. Only catch being you have a high up front for paying the whole year at a time but it's definitely worth it

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I thought something interesting must've happened with Fi. Lol nope, lots of talk about texting protocols.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

azurite posted:

I thought something interesting must've happened with Fi. Lol nope, lots of talk about texting protocols.

The only thing possibly interesting is that someone found what's possibly a new plan coming which probably has to do with Stadia so that you can game on your phone via mobile internet without huge bills.

However, with T-Mobile merging with Sprint, who knows what's happening anymore with Fi. At least it wouldn't be Google's fault if Fi implodes because the new T-Mobile is allowed by the US government and the new company doesn't want to bother with Google anymore.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

azurite posted:

Nothing truly inserting will ever happen with an MVNO. Sorry.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

American McGay posted:

I haven't exactly shopped around much lately but my bill is exponentially cheaper on Fi than I was paying previously. $30/m compared to something like $90/m on AT&T. My usage is pretty bare bones but I can't imagine you could find a comparable no strings $30 a month plan on one of the major telecoms.

That's why I joined up. I was paying 98$/month with Sprint for one phone line, and 2 gigs of data. No phone payments, no insurance, just the plan and data. I was barely scraping by at the time, and couldn't shave anything else off the phone plan, so I had to switch. After switching, I have myself and my boyfriend on the same plan, two phone insurance charges, 4 gigs of data used, and I paid 92$ last month. I'm literally getting twice the value for less money. Luckily I live in a big city too, so I've never had an issue with the service switching. But even if I did, I think I'd still stick around. I've never had an issue, and it's stupid affordable for me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah going from 80/month to 30/month has been great. If you told me I can do 20/month on another service, I'd listen, no brand loyalty here.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you have Comcast cable, their (Verizon) service is just $12/GB. No line fee.

It might be Comcast home internet, not cable.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you have Comcast cable, their (Verizon) service is just $12/GB. No line fee.

It might be Comcast home internet, not cable.

Is this deal online anywhere?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/plan

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Spectrum has something similar but their unlimited pricing is a bit better.

https://www.spectrum.com/mobile.html

$45 flat on the Verizon network.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That would be great if they recognized that android manufacturers other than Samsung exist

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MarcusSA posted:

$45 flat on the Verizon network.
Same as Comcast.

Can’t tell you how thrilled I am that the house we just bought is out of either of their service areas by about 100 yards.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Same as Comcast.

Ah yeah I didn’t see the unlimited plan on first page and 10gb for $60 seems a bit much when you can get unlimited for $45.

3 for $30 isn’t bad if you don’t go over that but then it’s only 15 more for unlimited.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If I turn off mobile data on a phone, will it still do texting and phone calls? The 11 year old has racked up over 4 GB since getting her phone back and yikes. Or if there is a way to turn off data after a certain amount automatically, maybe? I have an alert set up to tell me when she hits 1 GB but I don't remember getting the notification.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Don't give an 11 year old a fi phone, imo

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
This is anecdotal, but when my mom had a Windows phone on (AT&T? Verizon? I don't remember exactly), it wouldn't text without data being turned on. Neither SMS nor MMS. Her plan had like 100 MB of data and she didn't use it for anything besides calling and the very occasional text.

It would still make phone calls.

You can always turn it off and try it with, like, two taps.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Javid posted:

Don't give an 11 year old a fi phone, imo

FTFY.

On a more helpful note, Fi should handle calls and text just fine without a cellular connection if you've got adequate wifi signal.
Fi slipped in a "feature" a while back (which I believe you can opt out of, but I'm not sure how) which uses a small quantity of cellular data while you're on wifi to route you through a google VPN/make them more money.
IIRC, it's supposed to be somewhere around 10% of the bandwidth goes through cellular at max, but if your kid is running tons of HD video content that could add up pretty quickly, so that'd be something to look into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yes, if you turn off mobile data calls and texts work fine.