Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's the best way to figure out IPD, anyway, that doesn't involve a visit to the optician? I'm still using the values my DK2 setup spit out years ago. I heard something about an app? Acer has one, but it's been voted down to the core of the earth.

Take a ruler, go look in a mirror. Align the 0 mark under your right pupil with your left eye closed, then close your right eye and look at what the number is under your left pupil. That's your IPD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

eke out posted:

This question may be more appropriate for another thread but:

I built this current PC a couple years ago w/ an intel i5 6600k and a geforce 1060. This is fine for pretty much all gaming in 1080p but now that I have a VR headset, it's clearly struggling with some things — am I right thinking that VR is really graphics card dependent and that I could get a reasonable performance boost just replacing this old-ish geforce?

Trying to figure out whether it's worth it for VR games, and I could definitely swap graphics cards much sooner than I could build a new pc.

3gb or 6gb on that 1060?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Take a ruler, go look in a mirror. Align the 0 mark under your right pupil with your left eye closed, then close your right eye and look at what the number is under your left pupil. That's your IPD.
Danka!

Seems Oculus was right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Combat Pretzel posted:

Danka!

Seems Oculus was right.

All good :tipshat:

Actually Cowjawfee, would you mind adding something similar to my instructions to the OP? Feels like it'd be fairly relevant for new VR owners coming into the thread.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

There are a ton of phone apps to measure your IPD ya dopes. Takes all of 30 seconds and costs nothing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They aren't very accurate and often require two phones.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I corrected my IPD from 64.5mm to 63.5mm, based on the run around with the ruler, and things look more correct in scale. I wonder if that's just placebo.

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

Up until a few days ago I'd paid zero attention to VR. Then I saw the No Man's Sky update and suddenly got interested. I went out and bought a Rift S today, and so far I'm just blown away by the experience. I'd never even put a VR headset on until a few hours ago.

Anyway, that's my hot take. Back to the game!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Nice dude. Be sure to try out some games specifically made for VR too

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's the best way to figure out IPD, anyway, that doesn't involve a visit to the optician? I'm still using the values my DK2 setup spit out years ago. I heard something about an app? Acer has one, but it's been voted down to the core of the earth.

I know you said "no optician" but if you go to sams club, or costco, they have optic places, and those guys are typically bored AF with no customers. Its free, and they will probably ask wtf and itll be a neat convo about VR.

The hand measuring and home tools the least social way for sure though.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Uppa posted:

Up until a few days ago I'd paid zero attention to VR. Then I saw the No Man's Sky update and suddenly got interested. I went out and bought a Rift S today, and so far I'm just blown away by the experience. I'd never even put a VR headset on until a few hours ago.

Anyway, that's my hot take. Back to the game!

Try Air Car. It's free and neat.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Is the First Steps tutorial from the Quest also available on PC for the Rift S? I thought it was loving genius, especially for new people

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Vakal posted:

+1 to Air Car. It's the art apps that really tend to blow people away. Oculus has one included, and Google's Tilt Brush is $20 on Steam. Can't speak to their relative merits.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Ruffian Price posted:

Is the First Steps tutorial from the Quest also available on PC for the Rift S? I thought it was loving genius, especially for new people

I think they'd have to change some things for tethered headsets. I remember seeing the dancing part where they have you quickly spin around multiple times and thinking about how that would never work with a wire.

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

Vakal posted:

It was pretty incredible for a few minutes - thanks for the suggestion.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
As far as actually gameplay VR games go, I think Superhot VR is the one I've enjoyed the most.

There is just something satisfying about blocking bullets with a frying pan in one hand while headshoting mooks with a pistol in your right that only really comes alive in VR.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

I know you said "no optician" but if you go to sams club, or costco, they have optic places, and those guys are typically bored AF with no customers. Its free, and they will probably ask wtf and itll be a neat convo about VR.
We typically don't have that sort of free offers here in Europe. :|

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Letting my kids play around on the Oculus and my six year old currently doing First Encounter realized something I never did: you can make two lazer blasters if you load the disk up again and John Woo it up.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

We typically don't have that sort of free offers here in Europe. :|

WHAT KIND OF SOCIETY DO YOU LIVE IN!

No really, Its a thing they hold to your face for 5 seconds. Any big box store with optics might just do it for free, Id ask.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

EbolaIvory posted:

WHAT KIND OF SOCIETY DO YOU LIVE IN!

No really, Its a thing they hold to your face for 5 seconds. Any big box store with optics might just do it for free, Id ask.

I think "big box store with optics" might be an America-specific thing.

I haven't owned any VR headsets other than the Quest - do you have to set your IPD with actual numbers on the other ones or do they also have a slider for you to adjust until it looks okay? Is it worth me trying to work out mine in case I'm wrong about where the slider should be?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Organza Quiz posted:

I think "big box store with optics" might be an America-specific thing.

I haven't owned any VR headsets other than the Quest - do you have to set your IPD with actual numbers on the other ones or do they also have a slider for you to adjust until it looks okay? Is it worth me trying to work out mine in case I'm wrong about where the slider should be?

Yeah that could very well be. Just so used to seeing a glasses area in basically every large store here.

As far as the quest, I've not seen a # anywhere I can read, I just slide the thing around til I can see. Then again I have very few hours in my quest.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I have a Vive Pro and the associated controllers and for some reason I can't turn the car in Air Car at all. Like, the only controls that meaningfully do anything are forward and back.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I thought all optometrists withheld the IPD to make it harder to buy from zenni

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BMan posted:

I thought all optometrists withheld the IPD to make it harder to buy from zenni

No idea. Sams dude measured mine no problem, and my roommate just called her eye doctor and asked. They measure it, its info they can give you, and they cant like, say no, but they didn't make a fuss. She told em the same thing I did when they asked. VR poo poo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anton you degenerate madman, you finally did it. :magical:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ocRe61lYB8

He's made attachable launchers in this week's Alpha.

I never understood what H3VR is, is it just a super fancy shooting range and nothing else?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

AgentF posted:

No I'm just below the minimum IPD for the Vive thank you very much
Biologically, narrow eye distance means you're likely to be a predator.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Evolutionary, not biologically. It applies to species, not individuals.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ShadowHawk posted:

:biotruths:

All humans are predators, hth.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

sigher posted:

I never understood what H3VR is, is it just a super fancy shooting range and nothing else?

Its a SUPER realistic shooting range, with game modes and stuff. Its single player and a gun lovers paradise for VR. If you have "any" interest in bang bang shooty shoot games, check it out. Worst case you refund it. Its a really cool experience.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
My IPD and head shape are clear indicators of my superiority as a person.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EbolaIvory posted:

Its a SUPER realistic shooting range, with game modes and stuff. Its single player and a gun lovers paradise for VR. If you have "any" interest in bang bang shooty shoot games, check it out. Worst case you refund it. Its a really cool experience.

I'll give it a shot!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

pun pundit posted:

Evolutionary, not biologically. It applies to species, not individuals.
This is true and all, but the real logic issue in my post was equivocating around the meaning of the word "predator"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

This is probably the most wrong sentence I've ever read that was still technically correct.

Prey animals generally have eyes on the sides of their heads so that they have larger fields of view and would be capable of seeing predators stalking behind them.
Predator animals generally have eyes on the front of their heads so that they'd have an easier time tracking fast moving prey.
Small differences in IPD between human individuals don't mean poo poo. All humans are technically "predator animals".

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I played around a bit with H3VR, and I'm not a gun nut by any means so maybe it's an issue with me rather than the game, but why the hell can't I turn off the safety on weapons sometimes? I'll spawn a weapon and I'll have to tilt it awkwardly and click the right stick to turn off the safety, but it only works some of the time and on some weapons I couldn't turn the safety off no matter what I tried. Also why don't spent rounds fall out of revolvers depending on the model?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sigher posted:

I played around a bit with H3VR, and I'm not a gun nut by any means so maybe it's an issue with me rather than the game, but why the hell can't I turn off the safety on weapons sometimes? I'll spawn a weapon and I'll have to tilt it awkwardly and click the right stick to turn off the safety, but it only works some of the time and on some weapons I couldn't turn the safety off no matter what I tried. Also why don't spent rounds fall out of revolvers depending on the model?

This isn't a typical FPS game, you actually need to chamber a round to get a gun to fire. Safety off, pull back the slide as far as it'll go and release, pull the trigger. Aim away from face. Handguns default to safety off, everything else defaults to safety on. The control for the safety also cycles the firing modes where applicable (single shot, burst, full-auto, not necessarily in that order depending on the firearm).

As for revolvers, you need to press the ejector on the front of the cylinder.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Or just give it a good shake, cylinder facing down

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anton you degenerate madman, you finally did it. :magical:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ocRe61lYB8

He's made attachable launchers in this week's Alpha.

At this point Anton's list of "Things that will never make it into the game, ever" is more of a development pipeline

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shoefish posted:

Or just give it a good shake, cylinder facing down

From experience you need to twirl it and shake it to get that to work.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

sigher posted:

I'll bite since I seem to be the topic's resident Here's What H3VR Is Guy

Initially H3VR was pretty much just that: A shooting range with a bunch of nicely modeled guns that work realistically. Since then, though, the scope of the game has expanded significantly to give you plenty of things to do with those guns.

While the reductive answer is "Yes, it's a game about guns and shooting them at different things" I think it's selling it short.

Since release, Anton and friends have added several modes that have varied gameplay - one being a horror-themed escape room sort of scenario, the other a take and hold mode where you spend currency to spawn new weapons and can alter how you play it (Limited ammo, specific character types, so on), a zombie adventure mode where you help NPCs solve problems, a breaching drill where you spawn enemies in a house and breach it, a "Gunaysium" where you combine your Climbey skills with shooting and a Wild West adventure where you sling guns, play horseshoes and solve puzzles. The Take and Hold mode is a personal favourite because it's so different depending on what weapons you have to rely on and with limited ammo it's genuinely tense when you're reduced to scrambling for your next weapon or counting bullets in your final magazine.

Aside from that, there's a ton of different shooting ranges to enjoy: One based on gun youtuber Hickok45's outdoor range, several indoor ranges including a sniper one, a "sample platter" that introduces you across a wide range of different weapons and explains how to interact with them, and a mode that lets you do different shooting disciplines to earn currency to unlock more weapons.

The general vibe of the game is happy and light even in the darker scenarios, with a jovial sense of humour running through everything. In a game all about guns and their workings, it's not only super rare, it's refreshing as hell. Everything is designed around fun first. With that said, the core appeal of the game is guns and everything surrounding them. It's essentially Forza for weapons: A huge cast of different guns, from ancient Wild West prototypes to modern-day tactical monstrosities and everything in between, with a ton of ways of interacting with them and modifying them to your tastes. Melee weapons are present and behave in a tactile and slick way. There's even ridiculous things such as a power drill, chainsaw, cardboard Desert Eagle that fires imaginary bullets (With appropiate "psshoo!" noises), an oversized pistol that fires mortar rounds (and handles like a mortar!), and fun fireworks, zippo lighters, snapbangs, matches, horseshoes, tippy-toys and attachable Pride flags and christmas lights for your weapons.

Anton has a very strong "We will never let you fire these weapons at humans" approach, so the enemies in this game are represented by sausages. They bleed yellow sausage goo and can be stabbed, shot, decapitated, burned, torn apart, have their "necks" snapped and react to stimuli such as sound and sight. They can wear body armour and different damage types work against that armour - and them - differently. You can throw items to distract them and they take cover, dive and try to flank as required, all the while making fun quips. It's never dark and imagining this game with actual people as targets is a kind of horrifying concept, that's how good the weapon handling is.

For new players the control schemes and sheer amount of weapons is a hard barrier to pass, but once you learn the language and start to find weapons you enjoy it's a hole you can find yourself falling into for hours at a time. Since purchase in 2017, I've clocked 107 hours and still come back to it pretty much every week - the only other games that I've stuck with that consistently in VR are Elite, GORN and Blade and Sorcery. (Blade and Sorcery is quickly becoming the H3VR of melee combat)

For £14.99 I think Anton is actually underselling the game and the fact that all these updates are constant and never, ever charged for (To the point he made an entire Christmas scene dedicated to mocking the practise, with its own crafting gameplay) is a testament to his dedication. The man is a wonderful lunatic and deserves to be supported as one of the leading VR devs, and I honestly think his game is a killer app for anyone who has even a slight interest in guns.

As a new player you should probably check out the Sample Platter and read the control instructions on the weapon spawner when you choose a category. There's also a bunch of tutorial videos you can watch where he goes through all the basic controls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBaLc-W11jg

Don't be like me and refund the game like a wally after the first 45 minutes because it seems too complicated. It's a wonderful thing when you've learned the lingo.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Okay so I have this thing where I cry if I see something that's really beautiful to me

I just cried at the first level of Tetris Effect

gently caress off