Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

GhostStalker posted:

lol, sorry. Wota = idol otaku, which is pretty much self explanatory.
Is it??

That is definitely the most interesting way to get into yurucamp I've ever heard though, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is it??

That is definitely the most interesting way to get into yurucamp I've ever heard though, drat.

Yeah, I kept hearing the song at their events and karaoke, and I figured I might as well check out the anime that it was from. Comf ensued, and now I’m collecting the manga and looking for a ShimaRin neso. I had just gotten my Crunchyroll account sorted right before I decided to check it out, so it was easy to watch.

And yeah, wota = idol otaku should be easy enough to understand. They’re fans (otaku) of idol groups, including anisong singers and groups based in anime, even if those technically aren’t actually idols. Really started springing up in numbers once the 48/46 groups started making it big in Japan, and when anisong started being a larger thing following Haruhi, then hopped the Pacific over to the US, albeit it being smaller over here. In Japan, there are whole music festivals attended almost entirely by wota, like Animelo Summer Festival and the like.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 5, 2019

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

theres a mogra 10th anniversary coming up in august i think

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, I kept hearing the song at their events and karaoke, and I figured I might as well check out the anime that it was from. Comf ensued, and now I’m collecting the manga and looking for a ShimaRin neso. I had just gotten my Crunchyroll account sorted right before I decided to check it out, so it was easy to watch.

And yeah, wota = idol otaku should be easy enough to understand. They’re fans (otaku) of idol groups, including anisong singers and groups based in anime, even if those technically aren’t actually idols. Really started springing up in numbers once the 48/46 groups started making it big in Japan, and when anisong started being a larger thing following Haruhi, then hopped the Pacific over to the US, albeit it being smaller over here. In Japan, there are whole music festivals attended almost entirely by wota, like Animelo Summer Festival and the like.
It's a real comfy show.

I'm still confused as to why wota = idol otaku should be easily understood though. Like I know what otaku are and that it's sometimes transliterated as wotaku, all of that makes sense, but I don't see what part of it makes it obvious that it's referring to music otaku vs normal otaku. ADTRW is the only otaku-adjacent community I interact with though so maybe it's clearer to people more immersed in the culture. I'm not arguing btw I just like Japanese and words so I want to understand.

EDIT: From Japan Times-

quote:

But some information was forthcoming, for example, the etymology of the word “wota.” To distinguish themselves from run-of-the-mill otaku — computer geeks, anime freaks and the like — wota chopped off the “-ku” at the end of the word and, with a touch of playfulness, slapped on a “w” up front. (Typing “wo” on a Japanese computer keyboard renders a kana syllable pronounced “oh.”)
I get it now, it's just a word I'd never encountered before, but I still protest to it being easily understood!! Just removing a ku does not equal idols! :colbert:

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 5, 2019

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Oh, I was saying that the term “idol otaku” should be easily understood, not that wota should be easily understood to mean idol otaku, my bad.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

GhostStalker posted:

lol, sorry. Wota = idol otaku, which is pretty much self explanatory. Anikura = Anime (dance) club, aka events where you go and dance and poo poo to anime music; anisong = anime songs; waza means something like “move” as in a technique, and is what wotas do to anisong with their penlights and glow sticks, all of which have their own names (OAD, Romance, PPPH, Amaterasu, Thunder Snake), penlights and glow sticks are sometimes called cyalumes, etc etc.

As for the DJ, he and his group, Aniparty, are based here on the East Coast (MD, VA, NJ, NY, CT) and they’ve been hired by Lumica repeatedly over the past year and a half or so to do events at their booth at cons, in order to sell more glow sticks. Basically, they wanted to emulate the Akiba club mogra, which has a bunch of well known DJs and is known for mixing anisong every weekend, which is streamed on Twitch.

Shiny Days is a staple song at Aniparty events, as is a bunch of Love Live, idolm@s, Bandori, Revue Starlight (nowadays), Hamtaro (yes, you heard me), only my railgun, Rising Hope, Maware, the Da Pump song USA, and other anime OPs and EDs. If you’ve ever seen a video of a guy twirling an umbrella with UOs attached to them while other people spin in a circle around him, then you know the waza for the song Maware, and have met one of the regulars at these events.

They’ve done a bunch of cons for Lumica, including AX, AnimeNYC, Anime Central, Otakon, Anime Weekend Atlanta, Anime Boston, Kawaii-Con in Honolulu, and smaller ones like ToraCon at RIT, Toronto International Fan Festival, etc. I first met them attending Love Live concert delayed viewings here in NY, and they’ve done like 5 events total in Baltimore and NY in the year and a half or so that they’ve been active, plus a collab event or two with a anisong DJ group in Toronto called AniMaple. Decent attendance, and they stream their events on Twitch, but the VoDs don’t last long due to copyright claims and the like.

Another friend I’ve met through DVs went to the Asaka concert at Anime Boston , and that was where I first learned about UO marshmallows, when he broke them out as she was singing Shiny Days. I first learned about UO campfires when said friends started doing them at karaoke, and I fell into Yuru Camp as a result.

I think you're going to events that are run by my buddies Victor and Alvin. They're really great guys and are so hardcore into what they do, it's admirable. Not my cup of tea to do but every party they throw has people having the time of their lives that I can't help but be happy for them and the attendees.

Although when you say "breaking a UO into a drink" you're just activating the lightstick, right? Not pouring the stuff into the drink itself, I hope?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

MJP posted:

I think you're going to events that are run by my buddies Victor and Alvin. They're really great guys and are so hardcore into what they do, it's admirable. Not my cup of tea to do but every party they throw has people having the time of their lives that I can't help but be happy for them and the attendees.

Although when you say "breaking a UO into a drink" you're just activating the lightstick, right? Not pouring the stuff into the drink itself, I hope?

I know Victor and Alvin as DJs Appare and Pleasant, so yeah, that’s them. Met them a bunch at their events and cons and DVs, I’m in their Discord as well, and they are really cool people. Alvin’s the one with the currymen outfit.

And yeah, the UO kanpai just has you activating it before dropping it in your drink; I’ve usually heard the term “breaking” or “popping” a UO or glow sticks in general as doing so. I really wouldn’t want to drink whatever chem mix is in that thing, and neither should anyone else.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Picked this up at GenCon: http://keymastergames.com/parks. I'm half tempted to make a Yurucamp reskin.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

If it's your sort of thing there's an official 8-bit soundtrack coming out in a fortnight. I am not exactly sure who asked for this.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Located a ShimaRin neso for my collection, courtesy of a guy from a Discord server I’m on. Little disappointed she’s a bit smaller than my other ones, but it’s a pretty good likeness.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

winter is coming

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Picked this up at GenCon: http://keymastergames.com/parks. I'm half tempted to make a Yurucamp reskin.

Anime companies should be more into board games and reskinning existing ones. It seems like a prime arena to peddle overpriced merch

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, I don't really do plushies but that Neso is awesome.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
A couple chapters for Afro's other manga have been translated.
https://mangadex.org/title/30689/mono

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cute. Hope the scans keep up

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/yryuta99/status/1192798870293475330

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/telewaifus/status/1195608591794880512

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
PV for the spinoff short series Heya Camp, coming January. Actually pretty excited for it since there're some really solid jokes in that section of the manga.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

please tell me it comes to crunchyroll and not anime strike

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'd be really surprised if not, Crunchy was on the production committee for S1 and pushed it pretty hard IIRC.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Yuru Camp is getting a live action series in January, which looks interesting.

Also, I picked this up last minute as I was clearing the show floor at AnimeNYC:

Was too busy working the con to get in on a couple of UO campfires at Lumica and at the official afterparty, but I guess I’ll get my fix next month at the next Aniparty.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Neat! If they can actually go out and shoot the camping scenes on location that would be worth it by itself. A friend of mine went camping at one of the sites near Fuji they visit in the show and the show really does it justice.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Neat! If they can actually go out and shoot the camping scenes on location that would be worth it by itself. A friend of mine went camping at one of the sites near Fuji they visit in the show and the show really does it justice.

I can't wait for live-action Hover-tent, myself.

EDIT: I noticed there were a couple of references and jokes in the Yurucamp about how short the characters were. I assume that was just lampshading anime/magna drawing conventions.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 22, 2019

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: I noticed there were a couple of references and jokes in the Yurucamp about how short the characters were. I assume that was just lampshading anime/magna drawing conventions.

I guess it makes it easier for 2-person tents to actually comfortably house two people with their gear and not just one person

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

Does this count?
https://twitter.com/sengodebu/status/1196954780377042944

Stelas posted:

If it's your sort of thing there's an official 8-bit soundtrack coming out in a fortnight. I am not exactly sure who asked for this.

Huh, that explains the 8-bit version of Shiny Days that Aniparty played at their last show around Halloween in Baltimore. UO campfire still happened, natch, but it was stuffed into a jack-o-lantern this time.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 22, 2019

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Don't really like watching live action dramas, but I'm happy for more yurucamp

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Anyone want to buy a branded ShimaRin wood hatchet for $150?

Or her scarf? The latter finally got me to make an Amiami account.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

A little late for that hatchet.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

GhostStalker posted:

That’s the second run of that scarf, I’ve taken it to Mt Rainier a few times now. Holds up well, but it's pretty thin material unless you wrap it multiple times.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Daedalus1134 posted:

That’s the second run of that scarf, I’ve taken it to Mt Rainier a few times now. Holds up well, but it's pretty thin material unless you wrap it multiple times.

Good to know, I’ll keep that in mind once I receive it. Shouldn’t be too bad with our NY winters here, though I can always double up with the scarf I currently use if it comes down to it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Got some coasters at a con yesterday :toot:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

GhostStalker posted:

I bought the scarf from the first run and second run. I think this is the third? It's useful and long enough to wrap around and be warm. There's also her knit cap on amiami as well.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

astr0man posted:

Got some coasters at a con yesterday :toot:

who is selling these because i have never needed something more in my life

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

kidcoelacanth posted:

who is selling these because i have never needed something more in my life

http://e-akros.com/yurucamp/coaster.html

e: i got them from aniplus' booth (korean distributor for most anime) a korean con, not sure who might stock them at western cons?

astr0man fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 15, 2019

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bless

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's a guy on Twitter who does Yurucamp fan art, co-starring military equipment and personnel from the USSR and Warsaw Pact nations. It's the single nicheiest thing in the world and it's amazing.

https://twitter.com/horikouhorikou/status/1206113704279830529

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

MJP posted:

There's a guy on Twitter who does Yurucamp fan art, co-starring military equipment and personnel from the USSR and Warsaw Pact nations. It's the single nicheiest thing in the world and it's amazing.

https://twitter.com/horikouhorikou/status/1206113704279830529

This is inaccurate, Belenko defected in the summer!

https://twitter.com/horikouhorikou/status/1197495972101623808
https://twitter.com/horikouhorikou/status/1195656525412356098

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Revolver Bunker posted:

I bought the scarf from the first run and second run. I think this is the third? It's useful and long enough to wrap around and be warm. There's also her knit cap on amiami as well.

Good to know, I just paid the Amiami order earlier this week, now to wait a month for it to get here from Japan.

These are amazing, and will tide me over until next year when season 2 happens.

Brought my ShimaRin neso and a cup of currymen to another Anisong DJ event run by MJP’s (and my) DJ buddies in Queens this weekend, but Shiny Days didn’t get played unfortunately. They had a Japanese DJ known for playing mogra as a guest DJ, and DJ Hitomi (aka DJ Shawty)’s set was fire, a good time was had even if I fell down during the second Maware circle of the night and scraped up my right arm something fierce, when we tried to get too many people into the circle in such a small space.

Maware is kinda a cursed song for me, since I slipped and fell due to a wet floor during another rendition at their 3rd DJ event on Staten Island. Oh well, so much fun had, and I still like the song. Couple of really fun (and hazukashi, especially in front of DJ Hitomi) moments in there too, which you would expect from a room full of weebs going hard to animu music. Finished off the night with the Jam Project rendition of Snow Halation with people passing out UOs to make sure everyone attending had at least one, and the synchronized break had the amount of normies filtering into the bar amazed and taking videos of the room turning orange.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://twitter.com/LaidBackCampEN/status/1211720407792771072?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

:toot: